My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Walker is next?

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite everyone falling all over themselves shouting "first!", SAG was among the first people speculating about Samanic's release. She did so back on 08/04 when reacting to the Aminu trade.
    The "falling over themselves" terminology was based on the fact of timing... a lot of ppl saw the writing on the wall... But Dejounte for example called the immediate end last night and this morning... So no need to be bitter about it. I don't really care about e-rep like most ppl, just calling it like I see it. It's a fun pass time here.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like him or hate him - one thing that really sucks is that he NEVER was given a chance

that is what bugs me and i hope i am wrong but some team will pick him up and he will make that team/coach look good if given a chance to play minutes

real minutes.
    Or maybe he never earned minutes. He wasn't owed a spot in the rotation if he was being lazy in practice for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Walker is next?
    No way, Walker at least tries hard most the time and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I don't think he is a problem in the locker room either and i would even bet it would actually shake the locker room in a negative way if Walker got this treatment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was not “calling it” to brag. It was a huge hunch based off amateur detective work and it just so happens to be right.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Going to be awkward when he signs somewhere else, makes the regular rotation, and comes back and drops 25 and 10 at AT&T his first trip back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The "falling over themselves" terminology was based on the fact of timing... a lot of ppl saw the writing on the wall... But Dejounte for example called the immediate end last night and this morning... So no need to be bitter about it. I don't really care about e-rep like most ppl, just calling it like I see it. It's a fun pass time here.
    Ray, you're Ravens family. I wasn't talking about you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also look at it from a player's perspective. At the end of the day, the NBA (and any other job really) is about results. IDC how hard someone like Brent tries, ultimately someone like Luka, even with all the questions about his compe iveness, can contribute more to a team just on physical gifts alone.

I also don't buy that he gave zero effort. Again, you don't make the type of body transformation he made with zero effort. You don't show the type of defensive versatility he showed with zero effort. He's not fiery and seems to have a reserved, complicated personality but that doesn't make him a bum. You don't need to clap your hands and rub the bottom of your shoes every other play to show effort.
    Are you referring to Luka? You must be out of touch with his play as of late. Seems a few ppl are. I mean LJ gave him a B for some reason. The guy has no heart or iq. He only gets by on genes. The flags have been there since Europe. He literally never showed anything but promise. You and some others are in love with an idea, or what he can become. But he has never even showed that. Outside the box it's easy to see where he slots in. In that regard it is very tantalizing. But he was just a pick based on tools and you hoped you could "save" him. Kid needs to hit rock bottom to get his head/heart straight.

He has never put it together. Not at any point professionally ever. No need to rag Pop cause he had to babysit this kid for years. He gave him shots and he didn't do with it. The "Breakaway" was it. He ain't a Spur. And to me, he's probably gonna have to go through the fire if he ever hopes to make a career.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or maybe he never earned minutes. He wasn't owed a spot in the rotation if he was being lazy in practice for example.
    maybe

but at this point

i would trust and give the benefit of the doubt to RC’s eye for talent

OVER

a coach who stuffed thousands of minutes down the throat of players like mills, gay, forbes, et al

OVER

young players who showed promise - even though the spurs are not a playoff team

id like to see primo get thrown out there THIS SEASON

over garbage like d white, forbes, ewwwbanks et al

i just think pop can be really good to players he likes
    but

not really give a chance to others for whatever reason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was not “calling it” to brag. It was a huge hunch based off amateur detective work and it just so happens to be right.
    Nah, this thread was fine. I assumed all of the stuff about calling it was meant light-heartedly. In the very least, this thread gave a place for us to talk about the puzzle pieces aligning, and it was a good thread for reason if for nothing else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Going to be awkward when he signs somewhere else, makes the regular rotation, and comes back and drops 25 and 10 at AT&T his first trip back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For all the people in this thread attacking Luka's off-the-court character: what evidence do you have? Sure, there was that fastbreak where he gave up on that play. But how do we know that wasn't just an isolated incident? What else has Luka done to deserve being called lazy, selfish, and all the other things people in this thread are saying about him?

I'm not saying ya'll are wrong, I just really want to know what he did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For all the people in this thread attacking Luka's off-the-court character: what evidence do you have? Sure, there was that fastbreak where he gave up on that play. But how do we know that wasn't just an isolated incident? What else has Luka done to deserve being called lazy, selfish, and all the other things people in this thread are saying about him?

I doubt any of us knows him personally, but his character concerns are pretty well-established. It, more than rawness or whatever, is why he was such an odd pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ray, you're Ravens family. I wasn't talking about you.
    ah... that makes sense now... I got you. Apologies for the defensiveness. I put the pieces together...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People would be less upset if Johnson and Luka swap draft positions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, D, you gotta start using these detective chops for good and drop the "amateur" tag. Harder-hitting analysis than half of ESPN's payroll...

Great call. I'll have to backlog-watch these last couple preseason games; I was hoping nothing too relevant happened there and I could skip them altogether, but this thread caught me off guard, and there clearly was smoke before this fire.

Never doubting another prediction made through followers-stalking ever again....... Maybe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have waived him.

Damn…

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm just guessing. I don't think the Spurs drafted him 19 just to say this guy let's not play him. Gotta be a good reason he wasn't getting minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not surprised, obviously. Samanic went on the chopping block after KBD was given a guaranteed deal. Giving KBD guaranteed money didn't make sense unless the Spurs were willing to cut Samanic or there was an impending trade. There was no trade so, yeah, Samanic had to prove himself worthy in order to make the team.

Samanic was a high ceiling, low floor prospect so this outcome was always a strong possibility. He needed to improve his work ethic, hustle and basketball IQ to become an NBA player ... and there was no proof that he improved any of those facets.

That said, I don't especially love the move. Even though he's still super raw, Samanic has a higher ceiling than someone like KBD. KBD at his best is like a solid 10th man. Samanic probably doesn't have a future in the NBA but his physical tools and youth keep the door open to him eventually figuring it out.

I would have preferred that the Spurs decline his fourth year option but keep him around for one more season to give him a real chance. , even if he continued to be clueless, he would have been an excellent end of the season tank commander

Cutting a halfway intriguing prospect that you've invested two years on before the first season he should have a clear opportunity to play? Eh, not enthused by the decision, IMO.
    What benefit do they get cutting him right now? As you said they could’ve kept him longer, unless he really rubbed somebody bad. I mean the kid is 22! 6’11” with guard skills. And in a team that is rebuilding? I know Spurs culture and all, but that’s when we had the Big 3 to build around. We got nothing, and Spurs just let go a high ceiling prospect who they invested 2 years on?
    Sugus, this kid is 22, Poeltl is 25 and was the starting Center, got his extension and all, but came out last year from off-season unprepared. But don’t you think getting Zollins and Jock who can shoot from outside and have offensive skills is not lighting up Jak’s behind?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka himself aside, it's annoying to have to sift through a thread trying to figure out if he's actually been cut. Initially, the OP is just speculating, but with six pages you have to find out if there is any actual news.

It wastes our time when people make thread les that sound like fact when they are just speculative (even if highly likely).
    This

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, can we appreciate that the OP has better sports journalism than 100% of the San Antonio media? Calling out a cut hours before the news broke.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn't about bragging, it was about fair is fair (which goes for SAGirl if she infact was first) no matter the source.

This outcome was always far more likely than him putting it all together (which probably meant fringe starter). I didn't love the pick, but for a 19th pick and a team in need of high upside and with multiple 1sts that year, it was far more understandable than Jean-Charles and Milutinov.

Let's face facts though: Take the exact same personality, but have him be Black American and from the inner city and they wouldn't have touched him with a ten foot pole.

This was most likely mutual, but I actually like doing this immediately following that pathetic display last night than dragging this out another week. Can't let the rest of the team see a fringe-non NBA player live to see another day after that.

I'd give Bates-Diop the edge, but it's not a given Aminu is the final cut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What, in G-League?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^sorry, what’s fair? I’m not asking for any credit. In fact, y’all need to stop giving me any credit. Jesus Christ lol. Give it to SaGirl or whoever. Who cares who was first. I guess some people care. Good Lord…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, when I posted this it was just speculation about the Instagram , and it looks like many were surprised when it became official. So I’m the fool here but it could also have been OP had he still been around in 2 months.

Edit : I quoted Jeebus but he just quoted my message without writing anything so he doesn’t appear here.

Thread Information