Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outcomes like this are ideal for a lot of Democratic donors. They get the in-group moral status that accompanies paying the requisite lip service for progressive policies without the inconvenience of actually having them come to pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been on vacay and haven’t kept track of politics, but Manchinena pulling the rug on this was an easy call, tbh, and I called it.

The real political question is what’s the damage to this administration heading into the midterms, and after that, what does the Democratic Party does with Senators like him when it comes to funding their races, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been on vacay and haven’t kept track of politics, but Manchinena pulling the rug on this was an easy call, tbh, and I called it.

The real political question is what’s the damage to this administration heading into the midterms, and after that, what does the Democratic Party does with Senators like him when it comes to funding their races, etc.
    Well, Manchin for all his warts we need because well,....West Virginia...but Sinema is ridiculous since she is from Arizona and Kelly won there while being a regular Democrat. so that B word can get a primary challenger who will get many happy donors myself included

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Manchin for all his warts we need because well,....West Virginia...but Sinema is ridiculous since she is from Arizona and Kelly won there while being a regular Democrat. so that B word can get a primary challenger who will get many happy donors myself included
    Manchin needs to make it official and switch parties, tbh… I’m not sure the party is better served with the ‘we need him’ short term, if it means continuous damage longer term. This is a person that has fundamental disagreements with the party platform and policies as a whole, there’s no way forward with him and he doesn’t have the national clout to reform the Democratic Party around what he thinks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manchin needs to make it official and switch parties, tbh… I’m not sure the party is better served with the ‘we need him’ short term, if it means continuous damage longer term. This is a person that has fundamental disagreements with the party platform and policies as a whole, there’s no way forward with him and he doesn’t have the national clout to reform the Democratic Party around what he thinks.
    He is rubber stamping every Biden judge and Biden is appointing tons of public defenders as judges which is novel and great. Also the democrats lose all their committees and such without 50 senators so would be years of Republican Biden/Benghazi or corruption "investigations" special committees etc. etc.. Real problem is the losses in other states that make him and Sinema matter so much imo

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manchin needs to make it official and switch parties,
    he said he would go independent, not switch, caucus with Dems (but continue to vote with Repugs)

you, Cons ution.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coal Workers Are Livid With Sen. Manchin, Let Him Know He's Turning His Back On Them

the United Mine Workers are telling him it’s time he work for them and support this bill

"We urge Senator Manchin to revisit his opposition to this legislation and work with his colleagues to

pass something that will help keep coal miners working, and have a meaningful impact on our members, their families and their communities,”

Build Back Better, for example, includes several tax incentives—which Manchin's Big Coal donors are fighting—to encourage manufacturers to build new facilities at the coal site and hire unemployed miners.

Manchin's opposition means “the potential for those jobs is significantly threatened,”

they also believe in voting rights--a provision in BBB--and want him to get on board with that as well.

“I also want to reiterate our support for the passage of voting rights legislation as soon as possible, and

strongly encourage Senator Manchin and every other Senator to be prepared to do whatever it takes to accomplish that,” Roberts said in the statement.

“Anti-democracy legislators and their allies are working every day to roll back the right to vote in America.

Failure by the Senate to stand up to that is unacceptable and a dereliction of their duty to the Cons ution.”

https://www.nationalmemo.com/coal-workers-joe-manchin
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-22-2021 at 03:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is rubber stamping every Biden judge and Biden is appointing tons of public defenders as judges which is novel and great. Also the democrats lose all their committees and such without 50 senators so would be years of Republican Biden/Benghazi or corruption "investigations" special committees etc. etc.. Real problem is the losses in other states that make him and Sinema matter so much imo
    This is all happening after the midterms, which in large part will be the responsibility of Manchinema. This isn’t even a progressives vs moderates issue, nobody is more moderate than Brandon, this is straight up sabotage.

All I’m saying is that the Democratic Party needs to stop falling for bull ters like these two. If they want to go at it without the party backing, that’s fine, but stop feeding that beast.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    This is all happening after the midterms, which in large part will be the responsibility of Manchinema. This isn’t even a progressives vs moderates issue, nobody is more moderate than Brandon, this is straight up sabotage.

All I’m saying is that the Democratic Party needs to stop falling for bull ters like these two. If they want to go at it without the party backing, that’s fine, but stop feeding that beast.
    That's a crock of , El.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Coal Workers Are Livid With Sen. Manchin, Let Him Know He's Turning His Back On Them

the United Mine Workers are telling him it’s time he work for them and support this bill

"We urge Senator Manchin to revisit his opposition to this legislation and work with his colleagues to

pass something that will help keep coal miners working, and have a meaningful impact on our members, their families and their communities,”

Build Back Better, for example, includes several tax incentives—which Manchin's Big Coal donors are fighting—to encourage manufacturers to build new facilities at the coal site and hire unemployed miners.

Manchin's opposition means “the potential for those jobs is significantly threatened,”

they also believe in voting rights--a provision in BBB--and want him to get on board with that as well.

“I also want to reiterate our support for the passage of voting rights legislation as soon as possible, and

strongly encourage Senator Manchin and every other Senator to be prepared to do whatever it takes to accomplish that,” Roberts said in the statement.

“Anti-democracy legislators and their allies are working every day to roll back the right to vote in America.

Failure by the Senate to stand up to that is unacceptable and a dereliction of their duty to the Cons ution.”

https://www.nationalmemo.com/coal-workers-joe-manchin
    Coal good now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that our military spending is grotesque. China is doing the same thing to us we did to USSR with star wars...make competing by overspending on the military eventually break us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a crock of , El.
    Of course he is. He bent the knee on everything that passed, to the point that GOP políticos that voted against his are now trying to take credit for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hasn’t Biden gotten something like 40 judges confirmed?
    And hasn’t Manchin, for as much as the left hates him, proposed $1.8 trillion more in social spending than could be hoped for if McConnell were majority leader?
    Frankly, I don’t understand this all-or-nothing approach from progressives when they have absolutely no leverage. They cannot socially shame Joe Manchin. He’s a rich hillbilly from West ing Virginia.
    Is that what this is? Is this about the rich white progressive donor class feeling loathe to bend the knee to a WV hillbilly they think is beneath them? Better to blow up BBB entirely than endure that loss of status?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that our military spending is grotesque. China is doing the same thing to us we did to USSR with star wars...make competing by overspending on the military eventually break us.
    We still spend several multiples what China does. It’s just that the Armed Forces have reached a level of slovenly corruption, graft, and waste that would make a Habsburg blush.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    We still spend several multiples what China does. It’s just that the Armed Forces have reached a level of slovenly corruption, graft, and waste that would make a Habsburg blush.
    Lay off till I can get my youngest son thru the Marines with his 20 year pension. Need 7 more years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There’s a good 8 Senators or so with the same general views as Manchin and Sinema. Those two agree to take the heat because:
    1) Progressive hatred on balance helps them get elected in their states
    2) If it were widely understood that there were 8-10 more where Manchin and Sinema came from, progressives might walk away from the Democratic Party in favor of Trotskyism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And hasn’t Manchin, for as much as the left hates him, proposed $1.8 trillion more in social spending than could be hoped for if McConnell were majority leader?
    Frankly, I don’t understand this all-or-nothing approach from progressives when they have absolutely no leverage. They cannot socially shame Joe Manchin. He’s a rich hillbilly from West ing Virginia.
    Is that what this is? Is this about the rich white progressive donor class feeling loathe to bend the knee to a WV hillbilly they think is beneath them? Better to blow up BBB entirely than endure that loss of status?
    The progressive side doesn’t even like Biden, forget about Manchin. The real question is how far right are you willing to politically marry in order to obtain power that you can’t actually use. This isn’t new either, we all remember the blue dog coalition and the like. This isn’t about socially shunning Manchin or Sinema, but whether it’s in the best interest of the DNC to continue to foot the bill for their re-elections long term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, when you have a two party system like we do, it’s very much red or blue, and in a sense all or nothing. You’re either helping or in the way. I didn’t create this system, it’s the system we have. Generally I wouldn’t give two s, because the red team has been just as useless, but with Il Duce wannabe waiting in the wings, I was expecting that there would be more urgency to ensure this administration doesn’t completely fails…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s election time so people are going to look for their own interest - A lot of people barely won and with Brandon sinking poll numbers you will see more and more dems either distance themselves from him or outright going against him. He had the Presidency, Congress, and the Senate and they had one year to get stuff done and they didn’t. The Republicans will win back both the House and Senate in 2022 and 2024 will be another crazy year

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A few days before Christmas, Joe Manchin appeared on Fox News to publicly retract his support for the Build Back Better Act. Even by the pathologically callous standards of Washington, it felt surreal to watch a politician jeopardize tens of millions of lives in a single 10-minute interview. But the stakes of his decision remain clear: without the act, the United States will fall far short of its climate goals, making a century of ecological collapse, economic devastation and civilizational upheaval not only more likely, but increasingly unavoidable.

In the wake of the announcement, despair flickered across the internet. Friends called me in tears. My generation has watched our government fail again and again to enact meaningful federal climate legislation. But this latest betrayal is almost too much to bear. It feels like we are being forced to say goodbye: to our democracy, to our future, to the world we were told we'd inherit.

If Build Back Better fails, Manchin may well be remembered as the man who killed the planet. Given the prospect of having to one day explain to his grandchildren why they can't go outside in the summer, you think he'd at least attempt to marshal some plausible justifications. But his arguments collapse under the lightest scrutiny. His inflation fears have been thoroughly debunked, including by Larry Summers, the patron saint of inflation anxiety. His climate arguments are fundamentally unserious, anti-science propaganda copied straight from the big coal playbook....
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ld-back-better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A few days before Christmas, Joe Manchin appeared on Fox News to publicly retract his support for the Build Back Better Act. Even by the pathologically callous standards of Washington, it felt surreal to watch a politician jeopardize tens of millions of lives in a single 10-minute interview. But the stakes of his decision remain clear: without the act, the United States will fall far short of its climate goals, making a century of ecological collapse, economic devastation and civilizational upheaval not only more likely, but increasingly unavoidable.

In the wake of the announcement, despair flickered across the internet. Friends called me in tears. My generation has watched our government fail again and again to enact meaningful federal climate legislation. But this latest betrayal is almost too much to bear. It feels like we are being forced to say goodbye: to our democracy, to our future, to the world we were told we'd inherit.

If Build Back Better fails, Manchin may well be remembered as the man who killed the planet. Given the prospect of having to one day explain to his grandchildren why they can't go outside in the summer, you think he'd at least attempt to marshal some plausible justifications. But his arguments collapse under the lightest scrutiny. His inflation fears have been thoroughly debunked, including by Larry Summers, the patron saint of inflation anxiety. His climate arguments are fundamentally unserious, anti-science propaganda copied straight from the big coal playbook....
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ld-back-better
    Reads like a certain frequent poster aka night manager here wrote that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are coming back to BBB end of January supposedly. At which point if it doesn't pass to progressives Biden is a piece of who never wanted to pass and if it does pass they will alternately take credit for it or say that it's not enough. Or they will say both things at the same time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are coming back to BBB end of January supposedly. At which point if it doesn't pass to progressives Biden is a piece of who never wanted to pass and if it does pass they will alternately take credit for it or say that it's not enough. Or they will say both things at the same time.
    Being obstructed by POS Manchin/Sinema does not define Biden, apparently an omnipotent king for you, is a POS.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Being obstructed by POS Manchin/Sinema does not define Biden, apparently an omnipotent king for you, is a POS.
    ...his COVID Death Count at 453,612 (& counting, bouts) is a more profound definition I agree.

Let us proceed...

Thread Information