Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, Lebron played PF basically every second he was on the court. He wasn't just the second-tallest guy on the court either. He specifically bulked up and played with his back to the basket that year. That's why Diaw could supposedly guard him. My point, regardless, wasn't that Lebron playing PF is small-ball. Dude's the same size as Karl Malone was. My point was that there's no reason to talk about whether Lebron won as a PF with the Lakers. He already unabashedly won as a PF for the Heat. That may not be small-ball, but if it is, then it was already before anything with the Lakers recently.

To the actual point of this thread, it shouldn't matter what style wins a le. Not to the Spurs, at least. They're nowhere near a contender, and they'll have to swap out quite a few players to get there. Johnson playing PF now is fine if that's what it takes for the Spurs to develop. I don't think they should be married to it at all, but I also don't think Keldon should be their developmental priority right now anyway.
    Let's say Lebron did play PF full time for the Heat it still goes against small ball. Like I said Lebron is a legit 6'9 so he wasn't undersized to play that position and physically he is huge. Right now, it's fine for the Spurs to play Keldon at PF since they are not trying to contend but long term if they want to be an elite team again, they will have to find a legit PF with height.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad Boys did with Isiah/Dumars and Microwave from the bench hitting deep, with Rodman at PF. That was the original small ball (at least in my lifetime).
    6'11" Lambier.
    Rodman a wide body and good rebounder albeit stat padder. But he had the shooters you mentioned behind him so rebound away.
    But Rodman could board with other PFs 7 days a week.
    Not Timmy Dunker, but your average PF easily.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the terms small ball and positionless basketball get thrown around a lot and usually without a very strong connection to reality. The issue for the Spurs with McDermott and KJ isn't necessarily size as much as talent and impact. If you replaced them with Jimmy Butler and Luka Doncic, the Spurs would be much better-- not because those guys are great fits as a starting forward tandem, but simply because they're better players generally. , the Spurs would likely be better starting Herb Jones and Chris Boucher, neither of whom is a star, or exceptionally tall. If KJ and McDermott are your 8th & 9th players, your team is probably outstanding. If they're your starters, you're a 12th seed with a 22-36 record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to play small ball efficiently you need to have a line up of 5 good 3-point shooters and your small ball 5 better be a serious defender. This team has 2 players shooting over 35% from 3 and KBD as the only player who can play small ball 5. That's a recipe for disaster. Why Pop hasn't solved the PF problem yet, I don't have a clue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron is a legit 6'9. That's the height of a PF so it's not really playing small ball with him playing at PF and he didn't do it exclusively. They had Shane Battier play PF a lot who is 6'8 and had Haslem who is 6'8 play it a lot. At times Lebron would start at PF but he didn't do it every game.
    In 2013 he was considered a shorter PF. Griffin, Aldridge, Love, Dirk, Randolph, even David Lee were making the all NBA team as Fs back then and now pretty much all of them would be a C in 2022.

But lebron is a supremely unique talent so not sure using him is a good point of anything

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop would probably play a tall forward if we had one that was worth a sh!t.

You've successfully pointed out one of the weaknesses of our roster, but this team doesn't have Pascal Siakam to stick in the lineup. My guess is that if we had that type of player that he'd get lots of PT.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In rare defense of Pop, Morris(markieff I think?) Was supposed to solve that problem as Lamarcus was too slow to play the 4. That fell through. Then they drafted Samanic and he was supposed to be the problem solver for that. A 6-10 guy that is mobile and was average at the 3pt shot. He never did anything. I was hoping Zollins would help out at the PF spot, but he's sadly slower than I expected, which may have to do with injuries. Unfortunately what happened starting last season is that Aldridge rebounding was so bad (4 per game) that opened a way for Keldon to get minutes because he was grabbing 7-8rbs a game while Aldridge was struggling and that was fools gold. Because of that it seems the Spurs didn't look to improve in that area.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't watch basketball until '92. But I looked up some old videos and I see the Pistons either starting Mahorn at PF or Bill Edwards both were 6'10 and taller. They never started Rodman at PF during their le runs but he started at SF during their second run which gave them a big lineup. I can't see how that lineup is a small ball line up.
    The Pistons’ big men were “role players”, in contrast to the prior two champs before, Celtics/Lakers, who had big men posting heavily, Jabbar, McHale and Parish. The Pistons were heavy in guards ball movements, almost always having 3 guards in the lineup, Isiah, Dumars, Maguirre or Vinnie coming from the bench (the term “microwave” sixth man). I will call the 89-90 Bad Boys were “small ball” because of the guard dominated ball, instead of heavy posting in the paint.

I’m not advocating any style as the best. Pop won in different types. I do like “small ball” though because of the ball movement and I play guard myself . But I also like Sloans’ PNR with Stockton/Malone, that was perfection. The Birds’ Celtics and the Spurs Beautiful Game have beautiful passes to break defense, Magic’s Showtime run and gun game made me an NBA fan. Nelson always experimented with the small ball, Run TMC but fizzled in the playoffs. While Doug’s heavy offense, no defense (similar to some modern teams, not as bad this year compared to the last 3 years) were the ugliest.

But you play with your best personnel. Spurs are young and athletic. I see why Pop is pushing the tempo, with heavy passes to break defenses (albeit without a real go-to player yet). But the Beautiful Game needs to be played in near perfection, hard cuts and crisp passes, and shooting high percentage, less it would collapse. And for a young team still learning the ropes, that takes time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 2013 he was considered a shorter PF. Griffin, Aldridge, Love, Dirk, Randolph, even David Lee were making the all NBA team as Fs back then and now pretty much all of them would be a C in 2022.

But lebron is a supremely unique talent so not sure using him is a good point of anything
    He was as tall as Griffin, Love, Zbo so again he wasn't undersized for the position plus even back then he was huge.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Pistons’ big men were “role players”, in contrast to the prior two champs before, Celtics/Lakers, who had big men posting heavily, Jabbar, McHale and Parish. The Pistons were heavy in guards ball movements, almost always having 3 guards in the lineup, Isiah, Dumars, Maguirre or Vinnie coming from the bench (the term “microwave” sixth man). I will call the 89-90 Bad Boys were “small ball” because of the guard dominated ball, instead of heavy posting in the paint.

I’m not advocating any style as the best. Pop won in different types. I do like “small ball” though because of the ball movement and I play guard myself . But I also like Sloans’ PNR with Stockton/Malone, that was perfection. The Birds’ Celtics and the Spurs Beautiful Game have beautiful passes to break defense, Magic’s Showtime run and gun game made me an NBA fan. Nelson always experimented with the small ball, Run TMC but fizzled in the playoffs. While Doug’s heavy offense, no defense (similar to some modern teams, not as bad this year compared to the last 3 years) were the ugliest.

But you play with your best personnel. Spurs are young and athletic. I see why Pop is pushing the tempo, with heavy passes to break defenses (albeit without a real go-to player yet). But the Beautiful Game needs to be played in near perfection, hard cuts and crisp passes, and shooting high percentage, less it would collapse. And for a young team still learning the ropes, that takes time.
    Laimbeer made it to a few all-star games so I wouldn't say he was a role player. You can say Edwards, Mahorn were role players but still the Pistons went big which was my point. Sure, they went with a 3-guard lineup, but they weren't' committed to being a true small ball team in the sense of having an undersized frontline.

I personally hate small ball, but I get you having a preference for it. Everybody has certain styles of play they like. It is very difficult to be a good defensive team when you are grossly undersized at the PF spot or C spot or even both at the same time. Spurs right now are grossly undersized at the PF spot with Keldon playing the position. It doesn't matter since they are not trying to win games but in the long term it will need to be resolved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was as tall as Griffin, Love, Zbo so again he wasn't undersized for the position plus even back then he was huge.
    True but like I said, using one of the most uniquely athletic players of all time to make that point doesn't mean much considering his physique and athleticism combo is basically unique to him only. He's an exception not the rule. He's one of the only players at his peak you could probably ask to guard any opposing player for a stretch and he could because of supreme genetics

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Small ball still sucks tho.

Curry needed Durant. Morant is badass but still hasn't won . Paul? Who are these championship caliber elite point guards you speak of?

Last time an elite PG was killing it in the finals it was TP in 07' and we were a fairly big team.
    against one of the worst backcourts in Finals history. Any of us up here that play ball, playiing alongside a prime Duncan and 2nd year ginobili could have averaged 10 ppg against Sasha, boobie, and hughes. Am I lying?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6'11" Lambier.
    Rodman a wide body and good rebounder albeit stat padder. But he had the shooters you mentioned behind him so rebound away.
    But Rodman could board with other PFs 7 days a week.
    Not Timmy Dunker, but your average PF easily.
    Rodman was about the size of Kobe in his prime during his piston years. He was about 210 lbs at the most back then lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Laimbeer made it to a few all-star games so I wouldn't say he was a role player. You can say Edwards, Mahorn were role players but still the Pistons went big which was my point. Sure, they went with a 3-guard lineup, but they weren't' committed to being a true small ball team in the sense of having an undersized frontline.

I personally hate small ball, but I get you having a preference for it. Everybody has certain styles of play they like. It is very difficult to be a good defensive team when you are grossly undersized at the PF spot or C spot or even both at the same time. Spurs right now are grossly undersized at the PF spot with Keldon playing the position. It doesn't matter since they are not trying to win games but in the long term it will need to be resolved.
    I should’ve said, Laimbeer did not play the prototypical big men game. But he was shooting the 3’s and creating lanes for his 3 guards. And he was far from the athletic big man posting. I was responding to no “small ball” team have ever won championship. I said the Warriors did, and the Bad Boys (small ball because they were guards dominated team, instead of the heavy big men posting), of I know of.
    Last edited by John B; 02-15-2022 at 07:37 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe his colors made him appear heavier.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's get this straight playing nonathletic undersize players is not the definition of small ball basketball. Both our current forward are both not athletic nor long, thus we often see players blow by them or out jump them. We seldom even see them blowing by big men, we are so under size, under skill and under athletic that I have an impression of them cutting in and the defenders do not even need to jump to defend them and cause our players to miss layup.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I should’ve said, Laimbeer did not play the prototypical big men game. But he was shooting the 3’s and creating lanes for his 3 guards. And he was far from the athletic big man posting. I was responding to no “small ball” team have ever won championship. I said the Warriors did, and the Bad Boys (small ball because they were guards dominated team, instead of the heavy big men posting), of I know of.
    Your argument is still flawed because the Pistons were not a small ball team. They would not have been a good defensive team if they didn't have Laimbeer, Mahorn, Edward who were all 6'10 and above. Have you forgotten that defense is also part of the game and not just offense? That's my point you can't win defensively if you have an undersized team. It's almost impossible to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah yes, Durant, the instrumental piece of that '15 Dubs ring. What a tired and stupid shtick

CP3 came extremely close to a ring more than once, was literally in the Finals last season, and only didn't win due to Giannis playing out of his mind, and they have a chance to go at it again. Bad example. Of course Curry is the prime example, but I'm figuring you'll brush him off based on your previous comment. Morant is like 21, of course he hasn't won anything... lol.

Correctly utilized (and well-manned in personnel) small-ball can perfectly be a winning strategy, especially in the modern game. '15 was a testament to it with the Death Lineup and all that jazz.
    2015 GS team was a long time ago! You could say that was the exception not the norm. I'm not saying that tall lineups are a given but neither are small ones. Once again the team that wins it all (besides the BS bubble championship) is usually well constructed, probably has a good coach, is balanced or star heavy and sometimes lucky. There is no real magic formula unless you're talking a dynasty which by itself is also fairly uncommon.

Coincidentally, Paul lost to a "tall" team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, the Heat literally won with Lebron playing almost exclusively PF (and back then that meant he often went against bigger players). We don't have to look to the Lakers to find an example of it.
    LeBron is huge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't watch basketball until '92. But I looked up some old videos and I see the Pistons either starting Mahorn at PF or Bill Edwards both were 6'10 and taller. They never started Rodman at PF during their le runs but he started at SF during their second run which gave them a big lineup. I can't see how that lineup is a small ball line up.
    Not only that but they did it with defense. That's what got them over the top.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    against one of the worst backcourts in Finals history. Any of us up here that play ball, playiing alongside a prime Duncan and 2nd year ginobili could have averaged 10 ppg against Sasha, boobie, and hughes. Am I lying?
    You are speaking truth. Had we played Detroit instead.. you never know. Maybe Manu woulda won it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2015 GS team was a long time ago! You could say that was the exception not the norm. I'm not saying that tall lineups are a given but neither are small ones. Once again the team that wins it all (besides the BS bubble championship) is usually well constructed, probably has a good coach, is balanced or star heavy and sometimes lucky. There is no real magic formula unless you're talking a dynasty which by itself is also fairly uncommon.

Coincidentally, Paul lost to a "tall" team.
    I think a lot of people are clueless about the defensive side of the game. Even though the league is more offense oriented today you still need to be good defensively to be an elite team. That's very hard to achieve if you are an undersized team at multiple positions.

People have this obsession with saying Warriors won with small ball but it's only a half truth. Even the 2015 team was a big team with Bogut starting at center and Ezeli backing him up. The only guy who was undersized was Draymond at PF but he has a long wingspan that makes up for him being a little small on the height side. That team did have the death line up where they would play Lee at Center, but they could only get away with it for small stretches in a game. No way they could play a full game and have success with that line up consistently.

The worst thing the Warriors did was give this league an illusion that you could win les by jacking up 3's and playing small ball. They have been so many failed copycats going that route the last several years. I still remember how dumb Mowry was when he thought the Rockets could win a le by being a small team and got rid of Capela.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Cacok will help fill the PF void next year, he’s not that tall but is built for the position more than anyone else currently on the roster.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's get this straight playing nonathletic undersize players is not the definition of small ball basketball. Both our current forward are both not athletic nor long, thus we often see players blow by them or out jump them. We seldom even see them blowing by big men, we are so under size, under skill and under athletic that I have an impression of them cutting in and the defenders do not even need to jump to defend them and cause our players to miss layup.
    Spurs have been playing micro ball all year. They have too many undersized players that can only be guards but are forced to play out of position at forward spots. This is just another example how poorly constructed this roster is. They desperately need a legit SF and PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People have this obsession with saying Warriors won with small ball but it's only a half truth. Even the 2015 team was a big team with Bogut starting at center and Ezeli backing him up. The only guy who was undersized was Draymond at PF but he has a long wingspan that makes up for him being a little small on the height side. That team did have the death line up where they would play Lee at Center, but they could only get away with it for small stretches in a game. No way they could play a full game and have success with that line up consistently.
    The Warriors bigs Bogus and Donkey were allowed to get away with so much bull , false screens, Donkey kicks all the while the opponents in all 3 rounds were decimated with timely injuries.
    Credit to how good Lebron was that he made it a series with Kyrie blowing out a knee.
    Warrior bigs impressive? Not really.

Thread Information