Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Thank you, Tim Duncan! peskypesky's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know everyone is freaking out and busting their brains to think of a good trade we can make. Unfortunately, it seems like no one ever wants to make a major trade with us. Major players have moved all around the league in recent years...to Boston, Miami, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver, Orlando, etc etc etc.

The Spurs, on the other hand, seem to be built almost exclusively on draft choices and free agents. We never seem to able to make a trade that brings us a star-caliber player.

Of course, one reason we haven't made a major trade is that we've been winning, so why mess with success, right? But it still seems weird to me that I can't think of a major trade the Spurs have done in many years. Have I forgotten one? Is it early Alzheimer's?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ever?? or just recently?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Smith I guess although he was already declining.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to give something to get something. Typically blockbuster trades require giving up one or more of the following:

1. A star player. Which of the Spurs big 3 are you willing to part with?
    2. A high draft pick. Not many of those to be had when you're consistently a top 3 team.
    3. A big expiring contract. Since, aside for a few exceptions, the Spurs have not been known to overpay, there haven't been many options here. And it's very rare that blockbuster trades can be made by giving up only expiring contracts.
    Last edited by Spurminator; 02-18-2008 at 07:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ever?? or just recently?
    Well, let's say in the past ten years.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Malik Rose is their biggest to date.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You must have no hair on your balls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, let's say in the past ten years.

Considering the Spurs have the best record in professional sports in the last ten years I don't think a blockbuster trade was a necessity.

In past years I think trading for A Train was a big deal. Same goes for TC. Trading for Rodman and then trading basically nothing to get Sean back was pretty slick. I'm just a youngun so I don't remember exactly, but I think we traded for Mike Mitc ...and that Gervin guy wasn't too bad of an acquisition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't count. He's a role player. And he was only averaging 3pts and 3 boards a game for Charlotte when we got him. Not really a major addition to a team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering the Spurs have the best record in professional sports in the last ten years I don't think a blockbuster trade was a necessity.

In past years I think trading for A Train was a big deal. Same goes for TC. Trading for Rodman and then trading basically nothing to get Sean back was pretty slick. I'm just a youngun so I don't remember exactly, but I think we traded for Mike Mitc ...and that Gervin guy wasn't too bad of an acquisition.
    Gervin was 25 years ago. Was Rodman the most recent major trade? 15 years go?????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does it matter?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a similar topic, why is it that the Spurs can never seem to get a Lottery pick? We haven't drafted in the top 10 since Tim Duncan!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure. If the Spurs wanted to make a "major trade" today they could by putting one of their big 3 on the block. Does that make any sense? No.

Sometimes you wonder if these dolts understand Spurs Basketball (ie how the Spurs have won 3 les in 5 years). Secondly, you wonder how they are able to access the internets being locked up in their padded cell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do trades matter? Umm, let's see, why don't you ask the Celtics why trades matter, you nut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gervin was 25 years ago. Was Rodman the most recent major trade? 15 years go?????

Gervin was more like 33 years ago.

Why fix what isn't broken? Again...the Spurs are the best team in professional sports for the last 10+ years.

^^^ I typed that last sentence much slower this time so that it would sink in for you. No need to thank me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a similar topic, why is it that the Spurs can never seem to get a Lottery pick? We haven't drafted in the top 10 since Tim Duncan!

That has to change.

Do you hear me now? Popd@mn.

The Spurs never have a good lottery pick these days. Why is that?

What is the front office scared of? Something new? Something not a #1 pick?

I know more than you, I live on the East Coast.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He means in the last 10 years under the Pop/RC regime. Those guys can't pull off anything with trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why fix what isn't broken?

But...but...but...what if it is? You have to blow it up because it might be broken.

Trade Duncan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do trades matter? Umm, let's see, why don't you ask the Celtics why trades matter, you nut.
    So who has a Garnett out there that they are going to gift to the Spurs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He means in the last 10 years under the Pop/RC regime. Those guys can't pull off anything with trades.
    All they do is win championships. Fvck those guys!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm confused. Are not the Spurs the reigning champs? Winners of 3 out of the last 5? With their Big 3 intact?

Why the ing drama you es?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you don't want to be a fan of a successful team why don't you pick a new one? It's not hard. We won't miss you that much.

Seriously, pick a nice mediocre team like the Pacers or the Clippers and you'll get to see more glorious trades than you could ever imagine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All they do is win championships. Fvck those guys!
    No kidding. We need some trades so we can win the NBA Trade Championships.

ing re s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man if a Celtics fan in the 80's brought these kinds of takes in a Boston sports bar they'd get their asses kicked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First of all, I never said in my original post that the Spurs NEED to make a trade. Did I? I just think it's pretty amazing to think that while so many people on this board and in the press are wracking their brains trying to think of trades for the Spurs, the reality is that they haven't pulled off a major trade in recent memory.

Thread Information