Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The free agency signing period has now begun.

In this thread, post all articles of interest about any free agents as they sign. That way we won't have a million threads about the free agents of other teams.

Thank you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    • O'Neal, Heat ready to sign 5-year, $125 million deal
    O'Neal, Heat ready to sign 5-year, $125 million deal

By News Wire Reports
    August 2, 2005

MIAMI - Shaquille O'Neal will soon sign a long-term contract to stay with the Miami Heat, a move that can hardly be considered a surprise.

Yet when the league's moratorium on signings formally expires today at 10 a.m. MDT, the Heat could quickly find themselves in a barrage of other activity - including a trade that reportedly would send away veteran Eddie Jones and his $14.5 million salary.

Team owner Micky Arison said Monday that O'Neal's deal will become official "within a very short period" following the end of the moratorium, which was pushed back from July 22 to allow attorneys for the league and union to finish drafting a written version of the new six-year collective bargaining agreement.

The Heat is believed to be offering O'Neal a five-year deal worth around $125 million, although neither the team nor the 12-time All-Star center's representatives would comment Monday on financial specifics.

"I can assure you Shaquille will be in a Miami Heat uniform for a very long time," Arison told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from Italy.

It's unknown if O'Neal has formally opted out of the final year of his existing contract, one that would have paid him $30.6 million this coming season. Yet that move, whenever it happens, is merely a technicality that allows him to enter into a new deal.

"If Shaq stays in shape, I think he can be a great productive player for us for many, many years," Arison said.

The 7-foot-1, 327-pound O'Neal made an immediate impact during his first season with Miami, which acquired him in July 2004 from the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for three players and a draft choice.

He averaged 22.9 points and 10.4 rebounds in the regular season, leading the league with a 60.1 field-goal percentage. O'Neal ranked sixth in the league in blocks (2.34 a game), double-doubles (43) and rebounds.

A bruised thigh, suffered late in the regular season, limited his playoff effectiveness; the Heat was the No. 1-seeded team in the East, yet lost to Detroit in Game 7 of the conference finals - the finest postseason showing in the Heat franchise's 17-year history.

And still, Miami is apparently considering a major shake-up.

The Miami Herald, quoting unnamed league sources, reported Monday that the Heat might trade Jones to the Memphis Grizzlies for point guard Jason Williams and small forward James Posey.

The Heat also has met this off-season with free-agent forward Antoine Walker, a three-time All-Star who averaged 19.1 points and nine rebounds last season for the Atlanta Hawks and Boston Celtics.

The Heat already has agreed to a five-year deal worth just more than $30 million with forward Udonis Haslem, yet is awaiting decisions from backup center Alonzo Mourning, who's considering retirement, and free-agent point guard Damon Jones - whom Miami wants back, apparently regardless of whether Williams is acquired.

Jones, a perennial league leader in assist-to-turnover ratio as well as being one of the NBA's top three-point shooters, met with the Cleveland Cavaliers - a team in desperate need of a point guard - over parts of Sunday and Monday, and is believed to be considering offers from both the Heat and the Cavs.

Other already-agreed-to deals that could become final today include guard Larry Hughes' move from Washington to Cleveland, forward Donyell Marshall from Toronto to the Cavs, center Jerome James from the SuperSonics to the Knicks, guard Antonio Daniels from Seattle to Washington, forward Stromile Swift from Memphis to Houston, swingman Bobby Simmons from the Clippers to the Bucks and guard Keyon Dooling from Miami to Orlando.
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...971303,00.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.ajc.com/tuesday/content/e...462ab1082.html

The Hawks entered this summer armed with more than $24 million in salary cap space to pursue free agents, a similar figure to what they had the summer before.

But while they swung and missed in the summer of 2004, they will more than make up for it this time around.

With the NBA-wide moratorium on signing free agents lifted today, the Hawks are poised to land Phoenix restricted free-agent guard Joe Johnson in a sign-and-trade deal for Boris Diaw and two future lottery-protected first-round draft picks.

The Johnson deal, for five years and an estimated $70 million, marks the Hawks' first significant free-agent acquisition under the new ownership group while also putting a dent in the long-held belief that no free agents could be wooed to play for the struggling franchise.

The Hawks have also extended an offer sheet to Milwaukee reserve center Zaza Pachulia, another restricted free agent. The offer sheet extended to Pachulia, a four-year, $4 million deal, lacks the headline power of the Johnson deal but could clear up issues at a position just as critical and fits into the cap-conscious approach that general manager Billy Knight insists he'll maintain.

"I think these moves we've made will help us because we're bringing in guys that fit now with our young core and they fit for the future," Knight said. "We were in on those guys last summer, Kenyon Martin, Carlos Boozer and Erick Dampier. We didn't do those deals because we felt it was best not to do it. We didn't spend the money because we didn't think we needed to.

"This summer comes along and everybody does a lot of talking, and there's always a lot of yapping going on from all angles, from people that know and people that don't know. I read it all and I laugh at that. I just want to do a deal, get it done, and I don't care about everybody knowing about it. I want to do what I think is the best thing to do, talk to my ownership, and move on."

The decision to go after Johnson was easy, given his versatility, age (24) and desire to play for the Hawks.

Suns general manager Bryan Colangelo told reporters in Phoenix that he was prepared to match the offer until Johnson made it clear that he wasn't interested in returning.

With Johnson aboard as the starting point guard, center is the only position with a major question mark for the Hawks, who waived last season's starter, Obinna Ekezie, and backup Peja Drobjnak last month.

Six-year veteran Jason Collier remains on the roster.

The Bucks have seven days to match the offer to Pachulia, who averaged 6.2 points and 5.1 rebounds in 19 minutes per game last season.

Just 21 years old, Pachulia, 6 feet 11 and 265 pounds, fits the blue-collar profile Knight wants to add at the position, though he's not nearly the caliber of athlete of Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler or Samuel Dalembert, this summer's most high-profile young centers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is not a signing but didnt want to post in another thread about the same thing.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...l/12280885.htm
    Walker might be on the way to Heat.

The Heat is close to acquiring forward Antoine Walker, and the team remains interested in Memphis' Jason Williams.

BY ISRAEL GUTIERREZ

[email protected]

The NBA moratorium on free agent signings ends today at noon, and the Heat could have the best remaining free agent wrapped up in a sign-and-trade deal soon after.

While details of the deal remained unclear, with the Heat and Celtics speaking late Monday figuring out the specifics, the teams are close to a deal that would send a newly signed forward Antoine Walker to Miami. With the Celtics not wanting to take on much salary in return, the Heat might not be giving up much more than its $1.9 million trade exception, a minimal-salary player and draft picks. A third team could be involved. Walker's deal is believed to begin at about $6 million to $7 million.

In his nine-year career, Walker has averaged 19.8 points, 8.7 rebounds and 4.1 assists while playing for the Celtics, Mavericks and Hawks.

ANOTHER POSSIBLE DEAL

Meanwhile, Memphis point guard Jason Williams still looks like he's headed to Miami via trade, but just how the transaction will occur also remains cloudy.

There might be at least one other team involved and possibly more players, but sources maintain that Williams and his Grizzlies, swingman James Posey, will end up in Miami and Eddie Jones will leave the Heat.

Sources indicated that the particulars of the deal have been altered during the past few days, but Heat president Pat Riley was approaching matters as if the move, which was expected to occur within the next three or four days, was imminent.

The prospect of playing in Miami with center Shaquille O'Neal has intrigued Williams since last summer, and he didn't hide his displeasure with the Grizzlies during the course of the past year.

While Williams' numbers and his play have been erratic throughout his seven-year career, one encouraging sign for the Heat is that Williams' first year with each of his past two teams have been his most productive.

In his rookie season with the Sacramento Kings, Williams averaged 12.8 points and six assists. And in his first season with the Grizzlies, the 2001-02 season, Williams averaged a career-best 14.8 points and eight assists.

While Williams has had his differences with coaches, he has never played with a teammate who demands the respect that O'Neal does. Williams' desire to play alongside the franchise center could be enough to keep the occasionally troubled point guard from further problems.

While Williams is likely to join the Heat, the team is still in negotiations with point guard Damon Jones. The Cleveland Cavaliers, however, met with Jones on Monday and made him a significant contract offer. Jones is considering the offer but has not committed to Cleveland and is still mulling a return to Miami.

The Heat also is expected to announce the re-signing of O'Neal to a deal that one NBA source said is a five-year contract worth $25 million each year.

FINANCIAL FLEXIBILITY

With next year's luxury tax threshold set at $61.7 million for the upcoming season, the deal would give the Heat enough flexibility to operate below, or just slightly over, the tax number this year.

Had O'Neal insisted his salary start at $30 million (O'Neal opted out of his previous contract that would have paid him $30.6 million next season), the Heat would have been in a much tighter bind.

As it is, the Heat might still have room to add projected free agent Michael Finley, whom the Mavericks might release under the new ''amnesty'' clause.

Several teams reportedly have expressed interest in adding Finley, but the Heat might have one advantage. Finley and Heat guard Dwyane Wade share the same Chicago-based agent, Henry Thomas, who also represented former Heat point guard Tim Hardaway.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, it's the FA *signing* thread. Nothing wrong with starting another thread about reported trades. They aren't the same.

Ko Ko
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The Memphis Grizzlies and the Sacramento Kings got the ball rolling Tuesday by announcing a trade that will send Grizzlies guard Bonzi Wells to the Kings in exchange for center Greg Ostertag and guard Bobby Jackson"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, it's the FA *signing* thread. Nothing wrong with starting another thread about reported trades. They aren't the same.
    cool my bad, just didnt want to start unecessary threads.

My Playlist > Yours Pistons < Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    MIAMI -- Shaquille O'Neal and the Miami Heat agreed Tuesday on a $100 million, five-year contract, one that presumably will keep the 12-time All-Star center playing past his 38th birthday.

The deal will be signed later Tuesday, said O'Neal's agent Perry Rogers.

"We wanted to make sure that Shaquille was being compensated well into his career," Rogers told The Associated Press. "We also wanted to make sure he was paid his value. And it was important the Heat had flexibility they need in the short-term to win a championship.

"It's about winning."

O'Neal was vacationing Tuesday and not immediately available for comment.

Earlier Tuesday, O'Neal opted out of the final year of his existing deal, one that would have paid him $30.6 million this coming season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2122716

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs' Summer League team FA lead guard Justin Hamilton signs with Italian League and Euroleague entry Siena.

http://www.24sec.net/article.asp?index=2283

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockets sign F Stromile Swift
    August 2, 2005

HOUSTON (Ticker) - Stromile Swift could not pass up the opportunity to play with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.

In a deal originally reported by the Houston Chronicle on July 18, the Houston Rockets on Tuesday officially signed the 6-9 forward to a multi-year contract.

Tuesday is the first day teams officially can sign free agents and announce trades as the new salary cap became effective at noon EDT, ending the league's "moratorium period." http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sikma gets contract extension

The Associated Press

SEATTLE – The Seattle SuperSonics signed assistant coach Jack Sikma to a contract extension today and promoted video coordinator and special assignments coach Walt Rock to assistant coach and director of video scouting.

"Jack has been a tremendous asset to our coaching staff over the last two years," general manager Rick Sund said. "I'm extremely pleased he's back with us and I know he'll be a great benefit to our head coach, Bob Weiss, and the rest of the organization."

The 49-year-old Sikma was taken by the Sonics with the eighth overall pick in the 1977 NBA draft. He ranks among Seattle's career leaders in 14 statistical categories, ranking first with 7,729 rebounds, second with 705 blocked shots and third with 12,034 points.

Sikma, whose jersey number hangs from the rafters at KeyArena, retired after the 1990-91 season. He rejoined the Sonics as special assignments coach before the 2003-04 season and was promoted to assistant last year.

The 44-year-old Rock joined the team as a video coordinator in 1998.

"Over the last seven years, Walt's hard work and dedication have been sensational," Sund said. "He has been one of the unsung heroes on our basketball staff and I believe he'll be a great asset to the organization in his expanded role."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A coach ducks? Oh, well. I guess you could sort of consider Sikma a FA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    could we post a master list with just the FA name and where he signed up top as quick reference.
    Good Idea!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wells Joins Kings From Grizzlies in Three-Team Trade
    Guard Jackson Heads to Memphis, Ostertag Returns to Utah

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/ar...02145709990014

The Sacramento Kings acquired guard Bonzi Wells from the Memphis Grizzlies on Tuesday in a long-anticipated trade for guard Bobby Jackson and center Greg Ostertag.

The Grizzlies then traded Ostertag to the Utah Jazz for guard Raul Lopez, forward Kirk Snyder and center Curtis Borchardt.

Wells averaged 11.3 points and 3.3 rebounds for Memphis last season, but the controversial guard was removed from the Grizzlies' playoff roster during the club's first-round playoff loss to Phoenix after clashing with coach Mike Fratello.

Wells, a seventh-year pro, also found trouble during his first five NBA seasons in Portland, but will get a fresh start in Sacramento. A proven scorer who averaged 17 points per game for the Trail Blazers in 2001-02, Wells is expected to be the Kings' starting shooting guard, replacing departing free agent Cuttino Mobley.

"We're excited about the opportunity to get Bonzi and rebuild our backcourt with some size, length and versatility," said Geoff Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations. "We really look forward to him coming in and having a terrific year and adding a dimension to our team that's different from what we've had before."

Earlier in the offseason, Memphis exercised an $8 million option on Wells for next season.

Jackson, the NBA's top sixth man in 2003, was the Kings' most popular and versatile player when healthy in recent years - but the point guard has missed big parts of the last three seasons because of injuries.

He averaged 12 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists last season, but sat out 51 games with a torn ligament in his wrist, returning late in the regular season. He missed 21 games with a broken left hand during the 2002-03 season, then missed 28 of the Kings' final 29 regular-season games and the 2004 playoffs with a strained abdominal muscle.

He will make just $3.375 million in the final season of a six-year deal he signed with the Kings in 2000.

"Bobby is not only a talented player and great compe or, but he is an individual of tremendous character," said Jerry West, the Grizzlies' president of basketball operations. "He will be a veteran leader and an explosive scorer."

Ostertag, a 10-year veteran who played sparingly in Sacramento, is back with the Jazz, where he spent his first nine NBA seasons.

With Jackson's departure, Mike Bibby and Peja Stojakovic are the only Kings who were with the club just two seasons ago. Petrie has overhauled the roster in the last year with the departures of Chris Webber, Doug Christie, Mobley and Jackson.

The Jazz gave up on three youngsters to re-acquire Ostertag, who will make $4.4 million next season. Borchardt, Snyder and Lopez all failed to live up to expectations with the Jazz.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cuttino Mobley to Clippers
    Donyell Marshall to Cavs
    Quentin Richardson and Kurt Thomas being traded for each other (Suns-Knicks)
    Ray Allen staying with Sonics
    Michael Redd staying with Bucks
    Bobby Simmons to Bucks
    Stromile Swift to Rockets
    Robert Horry staying with Spurs
    Udonis Haslem staying with Heat
    Brian Scalabrine to Celtics
    Larry Hughes to Cavs
    Zydrunas Ilgauskas staying with Cavs
    Luke Walton staying with Lakers
    Caron Butler and Kwame Brown being traded for each other (Lakers-Wizards)
    Jerome James to Knicks
    Raja Bell to Suns
    Dan Gadzuric staying with Bucks
    Antonio Daniels to Wizards
    Keyon Dooling to Magic
    Scott Padgett to Suns
    Damon Stoudamire to Grizzlies
    Jeff McInnis to Nets
    Ryan Bowen staying with Rockets
    Juan Dixon to Blazers
    Pat Burke to Suns
    Bonzi Wells to Kings (in trade)
    Nikoloz Tskitishvili to Minnesota
    Mark Madsen to Minnesota
    Willie Green staying with 76ers
    Kyle Korver staying with 76ers
    Sam Dalembert staying with 76ers
    Sarunas Jasikevicius to Pacers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Updated: 03:05 PM EDT
    Celtics Officially Sign Former Nets Forward Scalabrine

Link

WALTHAM, Mass. (Aug. 2) - The Boston Celtics signed former New Jersey Nets forward Brian Scalabrine to a five-year contract on Tuesday.

The 6-foot-9 Scalabrine was chosen by the Nets in the second round of the 2001 draft out of Southern California. He played in 54 games last season, averaging 6.3 points and 4.5 rebounds per game.

"We need a player like Brian Scalabrine," said Danny Ainge, the Celtics' head of basketball operations. "He's not a guy that fills up the stat sheets, he does the little things it takes to win."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs press conference is at 4pm (I didn't go because I had a doctor's appointment) but we should have some news very soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cavaliers sign G Hughes, F Marshall, C IlgauskasSportsTicker
    National Basketball Association News Wire

CLEVELAND - New Cleveland Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry has given LeBron James a new supporting cast.

The Cavaliers announced the signings of free agents Larry Hughes and Donyell Marshall on Tuesday as well as the re-signing of All-Star center Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

Tuesday is the first day teams officially can sign free agents and announce trades as the new salary cap became effective at noon EDT, ending the league's "moratorium period."

Along with forward Drew Gooden, the Cavaliers now have four solid scoring options to back up the 20-year-old James, an All-Star who nearly carried the team to its first postseason appearance in seven years.

Cleveland finished at 42-40, losing the tiebreaker for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference to New Jersey.

"I am excited with what we are doing," coach Mike Brown said. "These guys fit in nicely within our team concept and complement each other and all their teammates. They are all dedicated to winning and will work hard to improve the team."

After failing to sign top free agents Ray Allen and Michael Redd, the Cavs focused on signing the 26-year-old Hughes, who is coming off a career year with the Washington Wizards. The seven-year veteran averaged a career-high 22.0 points on 43 percent shooting and led the NBA with 2.9 steals in 61 games with Washington this past year. He was named to the All-Defensive First Team.

"Larry is one of the game's most versatile young talents and his all-around game, including on the defensive end, will complement the rest of our core players for years to come," said Ferry, who was named the team's general manager in June. "We feel the combination of Larry and LeBron has the potential to be something special."

The 6-9 Marshall gives Cleveland the outside shooter Cleveland has sought since drafting James two years ago. The 33-year-old Marshall tied the NBA record for 3-pointers in a game while playing with the Toronto Raptors last season, making 12-of-19 from the arc in a win over Philadelphia on March 13.

Marshall, who has shot better than 40 percent from the arc in each of the last four years, drained 151 3-pointers last season and averaged 11.5 points per game coming off the bench for the Raptors.

The 30-year-old Ilgauskas, who has played all seven of his seasons with Cleveland, averaged 16.9 points and 8.6 rebounds in 78 games last season. He led the NBA with 299 offensive rebounds, ranked sixth with 165 blocks and was selected to the Eastern Conference All-Star team for the second time in three years.

After suffering through myriad foot injuries early in his career, the 7-3, 260-pounder has been a constant presence in the middle for the Cavaliers. Ilgauskas has missed just six games over the last three seasons and has increased his minutes in each campaign.

In 413 career games, the Lithuania native has averaged 14.9 points and 7.7 rebounds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wizards Sign Guard Antonio Daniels
    August 2, 2005

Washington Wizards President of Basketball Operations Ernie Grunfeld announced today that the team has signed guard Antonio Daniels. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Daniels will wear the number '6' for the Wizards this season.

“Antonio is an outstanding addition to our team,” Grunfeld said. “He is a proven winner with championship experience. He gives us great versatility at the guard position. He has excellent ball-handling skills, is a very solid defender and a great compe or.”

Last season, Daniels scored a career-best 11.2 points per game while averaging 4.1 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game for the Seattle Sonics . He averaged 13.8 points and 4.5 assists per game in 11 playoff games last season, including 17.8 points and 3.0 assists per game in six games against the San Antonio Spurs in the Western Conference Semifinals.

He joins the Wizards after spending the past two seasons with Seattle, where he averaged 9.6 points, 4.2 assists and 2.2 rebounds per game. Daniels ranked second in the NBA in assists per turnover (3.96) last season in helping the Sonics win the Northwest Division and secure the third seed in the 2005 Western Conference Playoffs. One season earlier, Daniels led the NBA in assists per turnover with almost five assists for every one turnover.

“Antonio is a tremendous compe or who brings veteran leadership and significant postseason experience to our team,” Head Coach Eddie Jordan said. “He is a very athletic guard who will be an asset for us on both ends of the court.”

In his eight-year NBA career, Daniels is averaging 7.8 points, 3.3 assists and 1.8 rebounds per game. Daniels has participated in 59 postseason games, averaging 8.5 points and 2.3 assists per game for Seattle, Portland and San Antonio, where he won an NBA World Championship in 1999.

In Washington, Daniels will participate in a ticket-incentive program called “Antonio’s Entourage” in which he will purchase a section of seats for Washington-area youth to attend Wizards games this season.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Tuesday, August 2

Washington signed guard Antonio Daniels.

Houston signed forward Stromile Swift.

Boston signed forward Brian Scalabrine.

Memphis traded guard Bonzi Wells to Sacramento for guard Bobby Jackson and center Greg Ostertag; Utah traded guards Raul Lopez and Kirk Snyder and center Curtis Borchardt to Memphis for center Greg Ostertag.

Miami signed center Shaquille O'Neal to a contract extension.

New York signed center Jerome James.

Cleveland re-signed center Zydrunas Ilgauskas and signed guard Larry Hughes and forward Donyell Marshall.

New Orleans re-signed forward Bostjan Nachbar and signed guard Arvydas Macijauskas.

Los Angeles Lakers traded guard Chucky Atkins and Caron Butler to Washington for guard Laron Profit and forward Kwame Brown.

Philadelphia signed guards Willie Green and Kyle Korver and center Samuel Dalembert to contract extensions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NEW ORLEANS -- Bostjan Nachbar re-signed with the Hornets on Tuesday after coming to New Orleans in a December trade with Houston and enjoying his best NBA season.

Also signing a free-agent contract was Lithuanian Olympic star Arvydas Macijauskas. He scored 24 points in a 104-96 loss to the United States in the bronze-medal game at the Athens Olympics. He also helped Lithuania upset the Americans 94-90 in the preliminary round. He has played professionally in Europe since age 16.

"Signing Bostjan and Arvydas today dramatically improves our team," general manager Allan Bristow said. "Adding them to our roster gives us an immediate boost in scoring and outside shooting, two areas we needed to address this offseason."

Agent Marc Fleisher said last month that Macijauskas settled on New Orleans because he will have an opportunity to contribute from the start.

Nachbar was selected by the Rockets with the 15th overall pick in the 2002 draft. Last season, the Slovenian averaged 7.0 points and 2.6 rebounds in 71 games with Houston and New Orleans. He averaged 8.1 points and 2.8 rebounds in his 55 games with the Hornets and led the team in 3-point field goal percentage (.371).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAN ANTONIO -- Robert Horry, one of the NBA's best clutch 3-point shooters and the star of Game 5 of the NBA Finals, has signed a new contract to remain with the league champion San Antonio Spurs.

The Spurs also announced Tuesday the signing of Argentine forward Fabricio Oberto, who has played in Europe the past seven years.

Horry, who has won six championships with three teams, was San Antonio's top bench scorer in the playoffs averaging 9.3 points per game. He was on the floor during several critical junctures of the Spurs' seven-game triumph over the Pistons.

During the regular season, Horry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds.

Horry, 34, will be going into his third year with the Spurs. He has played in the postseason in each of his 13 NBA seasons and is one of 12 players in league history with at least six championships.

The 6-foot-10 Oberto played with Spurs guard Manu Ginobili on the Argentine team that won the Olympic gold medal in Athens last year. He broke his right hand in the semifinal win over the United States and did not play in the championship game against Italy.

He would be the sixth member of Argentina's gold-medal team to play in the NBA, joining Ginobili, Andres Nocioni, Carlos Delfino, Pepe Sanchez and Ruben Wolkowyski.

Oberto, 30, played five pro seasons in Argentina before he joined Olympiakos Pireus in Greece in 1998. Since 1999 he has played in Spain, first for Tau Ceramica and then Pamesa Valencia. He averaged 14.2 points and 7.3 rebounds for Pamesa Valencia in 2004-05 and led the Spanish League by shooting 65.4 percent from the floor.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Dallas signed forward Josh Powell.

Phoenix traded center Jake Voskuhl to Charlotte for a conditional 2007 second-round pick.

Sacramento traded a future second-round pick to Charlotte for forward Jason Hart.

New Jersey traded a 2006 first-round pick to Portland for forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kori, what happened at the press conference?
    They just announced the Horry/Oberto signings -- Oberto and RC said a couple things and that's it. Nothing major.

Appoggiatura
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sacramento traded a future second-round pick to Charlotte for forward Jason Hart.
    Why couldnt the Spurs do this? Jason would be great as 3rd PG.

Thread Information