Page 505 of 1632 FirstFirst ... 540545549550150250350450550650750850951555560510051505 ... LastLast
Results 12,601 to 12,625 of 40782
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Director of key federal vaccine agency says his departure was retaliation
    Updated 5:18 PM EDT April 22, 2020
    CNN

The director of the office involved in developing a coronavirus vaccine says he was abruptly dismissed from his post in part because he resisted efforts to widen the availability of a coronavirus treatment pushed by President Donald Trump.
    Dr. Rick Bright had led BARDA, the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, since 2016 until Tuesday, when was reassigned to a narrower position. He also announced he will file a whistleblower complaint with the Department of Health and Human Services' inspector general.

"I believe this transfer was in response to my insistence that the government invest the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the Covid-19 pandemic into safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit," Bright said in a lengthy statement issued Wednesday. "I am speaking out because to combat this deadly virus, science -- not politics or cronyism -- has to lead the way."

He cited "clashes with political leadership" as a reason for his sidelining, as well as his resistance to "efforts to fund potentially dangerous drugs promoted by those with political connections."

Bright clashed directly with Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and Bob Kadlec, the assistant secretary for preparedness and response, two people familiar with the situation told CNN.

One source said the "political leadership" Bright referred to in his statement is Azar.

Bright previously did not respond to repeated requests for comment on his departure by CNN. The Department of Health and Human Services did not immediately respond to CNN's request for comment on Bright's statement.

Bright said he "limited the broad use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, promoted by the administration as a panacea, but which clearly lack scientific merit."

Trump repeatedly promoted that therapeutic treatment for coronavirus, touting its possible effects at White House briefings as recently as April 13.

A spokesperson for the Department of Health and Human Services confirmed Bright's move in a statement to CNN Tuesday and said he will now lead a new government project: a public-private partnership on vaccine development and treatment.

"On April 17, the National Ins utes of Health (NIH) announced a new public-private partnership -- the Accelerating COVID-19 Therapeutic Interventions and Vaccines (ACTIV) partnership -- to accelerate the development of COVID-19 vaccine and treatment options. At the same time, given the simultaneous importance of accelerating the development of diagnostic tests for COVID-19, Dr. Rick Bright will transfer the skills he has applied as Director of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) to the National Ins utes of Health, as part of a bold plan to accelerate the development and deployment of novel point-of-care testing platforms," the HHS statement said.

Bright had been with the agency as its influenza and Emerging Infectious Diseases Division director since 2010 before he was tapped to lead it in late 2016.

BARDA is a small, but powerful agency with remarkable purchasing power. Though little-known, it is especially critical during a pandemic, which is why Bright's abrupt departure surprised his colleagues.

Bright was removed from his position but is not resigning, the source familiar said. He said Wednesday he will request that the HHS inspector general "investigate the manner in which this administration has politicized the work of BARDA and has pressured me and other conscientious scientists to fund companies with political connections as well as efforts that lack scientific merit."

He has not yet filed the request, according to the source, but intends to do so in the next day or so.

His lawyers said in the statement that that they will request a stay of the termination and that Bright "be permitted to remain in his position" pending the investigation's findings.

This unaualified, incompetent POS Trump is trying to kill as many Americans as is humanly possible.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Director of key federal vaccine agency says his departure was retaliation
    Yep, might as well get the full disclosure out of the way before the board Trumpistas set their hair on fire finding talking points.

The firm represented Christine Blasey Ford previously.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, might as well get the full disclosure out of the way before the board Trumpistas set their hair on fire finding talking points.

USA treats whistleblowers horribly, even imprisonment, so this guy must know it, so he's got real balls, not Trash's fake bully boy balls

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top vaccine doctor says his concern about Trump’s coronavirus treatment theory led to ouster from federal agency
    PUBLISHED WED, APR 22 20205:01 PM EDTUPDATED 8 MIN AGO

A doctor who was removed as head of the federal agency that is helping develop a vaccine for the coronavirus said he was ousted because he called for resistance to widespread adoption of a drug promoted by President Donald Trump as a treatment for Covid-19.

Dr. Rick Bright also said that he believed he was removed from his post because he insisted that “the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the Covid-19 pandemic” be invested “into safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit.”

“I am speaking out because to combat this deadly virus, science — not politics or cronyism — has to lead the way,” Bright said in a statement, which was first reported by The New York Times.

“Rushing blindly towards unproven drugs can be disastrous and result in countless more deaths. Science, in service to the health and safety of the American people, must always trump politics.”

The White House declined to comment. The Department of Health and Human Services did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Bright was removed Tuesday as director the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, a division of the U.S. Health and Human Services Department that is known by the acronym BARDA.
    He was given a job with less responsibilities at the National Ins utes of Health.

“Sidelining me in the middle of this pandemic and placing politics and cronyism ahead of science puts lives at risk and stunts national efforts to safely and effectively address this urgent public health crisis,” Bright wrote in his statement.

He said that he will ask HHS’s inspector general, an internal ethics watchdog, to “investigate the manner in which this administration has politicized the work of BARDA and has pressured me and other conscientious scientists to fund companies with political connections and efforts that lack scientific merit.”

Bright’s attorneys, Debra Katz and Lisa Banks, said in a prepared statement that “the Administration’s removal of Dr. Bright from his position as director of BARDA is retaliation plain and simple.”

“The results from the Administration’s refusal to listen to the experts and to sideline those like Dr. Bright who point out any errors in the government’s response will continue to be catastrophic for the American people,” said Katz and Banks, whose law firm specializes in representing whistleblowers.

“We will request that the Office of Special Counsel seek a stay of Dr. Bright’s termination and that Dr. Bright be permitted to remain in his position pending the OSC and IG’s investigation of this unlawful forced transfer.”
    Katz in 2018 represented Christine Blasey Ford, a Stanford University psychology professor who testified that she was sexually assaulted by Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh when they were high school students. Kavanaugh was confirmed for a seat on the high court after Ford’s testimony.

In his statement Wednesday, Bright wrote, “My professional background has prepared me for a moment like this — to confront and defeat a deadly virus that threatens Americans and people around the globe.”
    “To this point, I have led the government’s efforts to invest in the best science available to combat the Covid-19 pandemic.”

“Unfortunately, this resulted in clashes with H.H.S. political leadership, including criticism for my proactive efforts to invest early into vaccines and supplies critical to saving American lives. I also resisted efforts to fund potentially dangerous drugs promoted by those with political connections,” he wrote.

Bright also wrote, “Specifically, and contrary to misguided directives, I limited the broad use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, promoted by the administration as a panacea, but which clearly lack scientific merit,” he said.
    Trump has suggested that those drugs could be effective in treating Covid-19 patients.

Hydroxychloroquine is normally used to treat malaria.
    An analysis released Tuesday found that there was no benefit to using that drug to treat coronavirus, and, in fact, that there were more deaths among Covid-19 patients in America veterans hospitals who received hydroxychloroquine compared to those who were given standard care.

Bright wrote, “While I am prepared to look at all options and to think ‘outside the box’ for effective treatments, I rightly resisted efforts to provide an unproven drug on demand to the American public.”

″“I insisted that these drugs be provided only to hospitalized patients with confirmed Covid-19 while under the supervision of a physician.

He added that, “These drugs have potentially serious risks associated with them, including increased mortality observed in some recent studies in patients with Covid-19.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today's Trump rally should be interesting.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Trump fired the guy so he can kill more people

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well I’m sure Trash would have preferred Dr Bright would have hired Rudy the shyster Giuliani.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm no statistician, but how are we still talking about 60k as some magic threshold number? we're pretty likely to cross 50 by tomorrow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm no statistician, but how are we still talking about 60k as some magic threshold number? we're pretty likely to cross 50 by tomorrow
    TSA forgot to mention the WU model was revised upwards to 65k. Might go up further when the human sacrifice strategies for GA, et.al., are factored in.

Strange that twitter didn't tell him to post about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    66k! By August, they say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, "Trump’s coronavirus treatment theory"

That idiot had never heard of hydoxychloroquine or Remdesivir until someone told him about them.

That said, it seems HCQ gets more hate than Remdesivir.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, "Trump’s coronavirus treatment theory"

That idiot had never heard of hydoxychloroquine or Remdesivir until someone told him about them.
    Did you just call Trump an idiot?

That said, it seems HCQ gets more hate than Remdesivir.
    It got far more hype from that idiot Trump and those idiots in the right wing media that parroted his hype because reasons. It was entertaining watching Dr. Oz flip on it today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you just call Trump an idiot?

It got far more hype from that idiot Trump and those idiots in the right wing media that parroted his hype because reasons. It was entertaining watching Dr. Oz flip on it today.

Strange that so many trials are underway with HCQ. Did they not get the memo?

What did Oz say?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    LOL getting the CDC guy out there to walk back the comments initially.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    MannyIsGod you still firm on 150K by Friday?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "study suggested smokers may be much less at risk of contracting the virus."

YES!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strange that so many trials are underway with HCQ. Did they not get the memo?
    What memo?

This is what any sane person would've wanted from the beginning. What we didn't need was that idiot Trump saying Take it! What have you got to lose? and those idiots in the right wing media singing along.

Dr. Oz said it's not proven.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Top vaccine doctor says his concern about Trump’s coronavirus treatment theory led to ouster from federal agency
    PUBLISHED WED, APR 22 20205:01 PM EDTUPDATED 8 MIN AGO

A doctor who was removed as head of the federal agency that is helping develop a vaccine for the coronavirus said he was ousted because he called for resistance to widespread adoption of a drug promoted by President Donald Trump as a treatment for Covid-19.

Dr. Rick Bright also said that he believed he was removed from his post because he insisted that “the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the Covid-19 pandemic” be invested “into safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit.”

“I am speaking out because to combat this deadly virus, science — not politics or cronyism — has to lead the way,” Bright said in a statement, which was first reported by The New York Times.

“Rushing blindly towards unproven drugs can be disastrous and result in countless more deaths. Science, in service to the health and safety of the American people, must always trump politics.”

The White House declined to comment. The Department of Health and Human Services did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Bright was removed Tuesday as director the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, a division of the U.S. Health and Human Services Department that is known by the acronym BARDA.
    He was given a job with less responsibilities at the National Ins utes of Health.

“Sidelining me in the middle of this pandemic and placing politics and cronyism ahead of science puts lives at risk and stunts national efforts to safely and effectively address this urgent public health crisis,” Bright wrote in his statement.

He said that he will ask HHS’s inspector general, an internal ethics watchdog, to “investigate the manner in which this administration has politicized the work of BARDA and has pressured me and other conscientious scientists to fund companies with political connections and efforts that lack scientific merit.”

Bright’s attorneys, Debra Katz and Lisa Banks, said in a prepared statement that “the Administration’s removal of Dr. Bright from his position as director of BARDA is retaliation plain and simple.”

“The results from the Administration’s refusal to listen to the experts and to sideline those like Dr. Bright who point out any errors in the government’s response will continue to be catastrophic for the American people,” said Katz and Banks, whose law firm specializes in representing whistleblowers.

“We will request that the Office of Special Counsel seek a stay of Dr. Bright’s termination and that Dr. Bright be permitted to remain in his position pending the OSC and IG’s investigation of this unlawful forced transfer.”
    Katz in 2018 represented Christine Blasey Ford, a Stanford University psychology professor who testified that she was sexually assaulted by Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh when they were high school students. Kavanaugh was confirmed for a seat on the high court after Ford’s testimony.

In his statement Wednesday, Bright wrote, “My professional background has prepared me for a moment like this — to confront and defeat a deadly virus that threatens Americans and people around the globe.”
    “To this point, I have led the government’s efforts to invest in the best science available to combat the Covid-19 pandemic.”

“Unfortunately, this resulted in clashes with H.H.S. political leadership, including criticism for my proactive efforts to invest early into vaccines and supplies critical to saving American lives. I also resisted efforts to fund potentially dangerous drugs promoted by those with political connections,” he wrote.

Bright also wrote, “Specifically, and contrary to misguided directives, I limited the broad use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, promoted by the administration as a panacea, but which clearly lack scientific merit,” he said.
    Trump has suggested that those drugs could be effective in treating Covid-19 patients.

Hydroxychloroquine is normally used to treat malaria.
    An analysis released Tuesday found that there was no benefit to using that drug to treat coronavirus, and, in fact, that there were more deaths among Covid-19 patients in America veterans hospitals who received hydroxychloroquine compared to those who were given standard care.

Bright wrote, “While I am prepared to look at all options and to think ‘outside the box’ for effective treatments, I rightly resisted efforts to provide an unproven drug on demand to the American public.”

″“I insisted that these drugs be provided only to hospitalized patients with confirmed Covid-19 while under the supervision of a physician.

He added that, “These drugs have potentially serious risks associated with them, including increased mortality observed in some recent studies in patients with Covid-19.”

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    LOLOL Trump in his opinion that Corona won't come back...asking Dr Birks and she slowly walks by with no acknowledgment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dr. Trump

Take a shot every time he say "embers."

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Dr. Trump

Take a shot every time he say "embers."
    God damn! I just can't listen to this anymore....yes we have the ventilators, great job! Now what. Dr Trump lol. I can see what he's doing, but it's so ham fisted. He just set himself up for November to either use this soundbite for his good or fodder for Biden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God damn! I just can't listen to this anymore....yes we have the ventilators, great job! Now what. Dr Trump lol. I can see what he's doing, but it's so ham fisted. He just set himself up for November to either use this soundbite for his good or fodder for Biden.
    "How do you know coronavirus won't come back at strong as it did the first time?"

"WHY AREN'T YOU TALKING ABOUT VENTILATORS AND CHINATOWN AND MUH CHINA BAN?"

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chuck Ross relies on idiot followers like you to only read the blue highlighted part.

Both things can be true, soldier.

Thread Information