Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From https://milehighsports.com/season-in...of-regression/:

Consistency

When Millsap went down with a left wrist injury that sat him down for more than half of the 2017-18 season, Lyles was quickly catapulted into a scenario where he would have to play meaningful minutes.
    Despite only starting in two games, Lyles finished third amongst bench players in minutes played behind only Will Barton and Mason Plumlee. Lyles made the most of his minutes.
    With Millsap fully healthy this past season those minutes were not readily available and Lyles’ consistency disappeared.
    Prior to the All-Star break, Lyles was having another productive season in a limited role. In 55 games, he was averaging 18.6 minutes per game which led to averages of 9.2 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game. Still, while his raw per-game averages were strong, his issues with consistently knocking down shots remained as he shot 42.3% from the field.
    After the All-Star break; however, is when things got shaky for the fourth-year forward. After playing in 55 games before the break Lyles was effectively removed from the rotation entirely and proceeded to only play in nine more games.
    In those nine contests, Lyles only played 10.7 minutes and saw his numbers drop drastically. He put up a meager 4.3 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game while shooting a brutal 35.9% from the field. A part of the drop off was the fact that Lyles was fighting through injuries, including a hamstring injury in February which ultimately led to his removal from the rotation.
    Lyles still has not proven that he can be a floor spacer with size and a volume rebounder at the NBA level. He has the skill set to still become the multifaceted forward so many envisioned, but if Lyles is to reach that level, he will need to have a big bounce-back season in 2019-20/

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm done with this . Just unsubscribed from r/ nba.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nba/player/3869:

"Smooth, quick, and skilled for a big man. Possesses a center's length yet has the overall game of a small forward. Shows good instincts & quickness to score over and around opponents. Has a nice shooting stroke. Runs the floor like a guard. Flashes solid defensive upside. Raw overall. Doesn't make nearly as much use of his great length and reach as he could, especially defensively. Lacks muscle mass and can be pushed around in the post, limiting him as a rebounder and shot-blocker. Could be more of a passer considering his hands."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From https://milehighsports.com/season-in...of-regression/:

Consistency

When Millsap went down with a left wrist injury that sat him down for more than half of the 2017-18 season, Lyles was quickly catapulted into a scenario where he would have to play meaningful minutes.
    Despite only starting in two games, Lyles finished third amongst bench players in minutes played behind only Will Barton and Mason Plumlee. Lyles made the most of his minutes.
    With Millsap fully healthy this past season those minutes were not readily available and Lyles’ consistency disappeared.
    Prior to the All-Star break, Lyles was having another productive season in a limited role. In 55 games, he was averaging 18.6 minutes per game which led to averages of 9.2 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game. Still, while his raw per-game averages were strong, his issues with consistently knocking down shots remained as he shot 42.3% from the field.
    After the All-Star break; however, is when things got shaky for the fourth-year forward. After playing in 55 games before the break Lyles was effectively removed from the rotation entirely and proceeded to only play in nine more games.
    In those nine contests, Lyles only played 10.7 minutes and saw his numbers drop drastically. He put up a meager 4.3 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game while shooting a brutal 35.9% from the field. A part of the drop off was the fact that Lyles was fighting through injuries, including a hamstring injury in February which ultimately led to his removal from the rotation.
    Lyles still has not proven that he can be a floor spacer with size and a volume rebounder at the NBA level. He has the skill set to still become the multifaceted forward so many envisioned, but if Lyles is to reach that level, he will need to have a big bounce-back season in 2019-20/
    Thanks for this. It at least explains his regression as a consequence of a hamstring injury. As the article says even when healthy he was not a fully “realized” talent but at least he should be expected to be better than last season when fully healthy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what's this talk of him being too skinny to play C? Also, his rebounding per 36 was lower than all of Jokic, Plumlee and Milsap last year by a wide margin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, Joel Myers on NBA radio actual talked about the Morris situation and broke it all down and talked about how shady the knicks, Morris and Paul were. First time I’ve heard it talked about and how ty they handled it. Was nice to here from an outside media person.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, Joel Myers on NBA radio actual talked about the Morris situation and broke it all down and talked about how shady the knicks, Morris and Paul were. First time I’ve heard it talked about and how ty they handled it. Was nice to here from an outside media person.
    However, Joel was the Spurs TV announcer, including the 2003 championship year, for a few years (before the Lakers lured him away).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This may become a blessing for the Spurs, as sad as it makes me to see Bertans so easily gifted away before contracts were signed. The Spurs now have an even deeper team with loads of options to put on the floor. They should be markedly better defensively. Non-trolls should NOT underestimate the Spurs’ ability to develop players. (BTW, the Austin Spurs should be really good.)
    This is not like the Scola debacle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This may become a blessing for the Spurs, as sad as it makes me to see Bertans so easily gifted away before contracts were signed.
    I think the Spurs are fine with losing Bertans, the player (as opposed to Bertans the person).

The Spurs were in a dilemma -- they had given up on Bertans but liked the guy. If they trade him for nothing (just to get rid of him), it looks bad and it's insulting to a player they don't want to insult.

The Morris deal allows the Spurs to say "we had to do it to make the trade work."

The Spurs probably wanted Morris more than Lyles but I doubt they're really sorry about any of this.

They got rid of Bertans in a face-saving way (for both Bertans and the Spurs). That had independent value to them even if they didn't get Morris in the end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However, Joel was the Spurs TV announcer, including the 2003 championship year, for a few years (before the Lakers lured him away).
    Understood, wasn’t questioning that. It’s just the first time I’ve actually heard someone talk about it and show it for what actually happened instead of espn slurping on the knicks balls. He had a cohost with him (not sure who but former upper office person on a team) and said it was very unethical and bad on everyone involved on the other side of the spurs. It was just nice to hear someone other than ST realizing how bad a situation it was.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched some YouTube highlights of trey lydes in some good games against the Clippers and Detroit last year, there is some offensive talent. Showed good movement without the ball, running the floor, and confidence in his shot, even from beyond the arch. Never seemed to hesitate and passed the ball around. Nothing defensively stands out. Might just need a chance and commit to defense. I can see him in a lineup with either Poeltl or Aldridge at center, Lyles as a power forward, Caroll, Walker, and Derrick White. Might be a good signing, but he cant be on the floor with non defenders such as DeRozan or Belineli and Forbes, because he brings nothing defensively himself or the ability to clean up others mistakes despite his size from what I see.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can he play center? That would be redeeming if he could.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Lyles played with two coaches with good reputations for developing defense without great success this will be an interesting test of Pops defensive teaching chops. He did a solid job with Kyle Anderson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Lyles played with two coaches with good reputations for developing defense without great success this will be an interesting test of Pops defensive teaching chops. He did a solid job with Kyle Anderson.
    Yeah, but KA actually worked hard and wanted to be a good defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but KA actually worked hard and wanted to be a good defender.
    Hence it’s a test for Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what exactly did he say`?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can he play center? That would be redeeming if he could.
    In watching one of the highlight clips, he was playing small-ball 5. That being said, he's probably the third option at both the 4 and the 5, so it's not like he's all that helpful in the playoffs, just that he's useful depth at the two positions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs are fine with losing Bertans, the player (as opposed to Bertans the person).

The Spurs were in a dilemma -- they had given up on Bertans but liked the guy. If they trade him for nothing (just to get rid of him), it looks bad and it's insulting to a player they don't want to insult.

The Morris deal allows the Spurs to say "we had to do it to make the trade work."

The Spurs probably wanted Morris more than Lyles but I doubt they're really sorry about any of this.

They got rid of Bertans in a face-saving way (for both Bertans and the Spurs). That had independent value to them even if they didn't get Morris in the end.
    Agreed. Otherwise that's another $7 to 10 million which is earmarked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a Lakers fan...
    Spurs have everything needed outside the superstar... Kawhi was that guy and they are not easy to find...
    Spurs still have great culture, a strong front office, ownership and a smallish but rabid fanbase.

Eff the paranoid Lakerhatin prick section of your base... But most of yall deserve better.
    The entire fanbase hates the Lakers, and for good reason. We are the Celtics of the West as far as rivalry with the Lakers goes. I am not sure, but I am willing to surmise that Laker fans hate the Spurs more than any other West franchise......and it comes down to respect. You guys respect or existence and our ability to bring it to you like no other team in the West has. Sure, you may hate other fanbases far more, but not actual teams. I know I hate the Lakers the most. I respect the history, but damn I hate the arrogance, though earned by great success. I hate Boston too, but they are not 2nd....that goes to the POS Rockets, who I have no respect for at all. When the Jazz had Malone, I hated them more than any other team, the Bulls up there in the 90s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched some YouTube highlights of trey lydes in some good games against the Clippers and Detroit last year, there is some offensive talent. Showed good movement without the ball, running the floor, and confidence in his shot, even from beyond the arch. Never seemed to hesitate and passed the ball around. Nothing defensively stands out. Might just need a chance and commit to defense. I can see him in a lineup with either Poeltl or Aldridge at center, Lyles as a power forward, Caroll, Walker, and Derrick White. Might be a good signing, but he cant be on the floor with non defenders such as DeRozan or Belineli and Forbes, because he brings nothing defensively himself or the ability to clean up others mistakes despite his size from what I see.
    This is a good evaluation. If he regains the shooting touch I agree. In the playoffs lack of toughness is exposed though so his minutes might be cut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

this is a good hypothesis. It would explain them not being so upset as to blacklist Rich Paul (It wouldn't be wise either as has been discussed) but it's easier to swallow nd they had already explored trades for Davis and didn't find any they liked, but they were looking to move him.

Davis has a few hard core fans here, but the Spurs were ready to move on from him bottom line and Davis also expressed some dissatisfaction with his playing time and role so he's probably looking forward to the move to a team where he will get more opportunities presumably. He didn't seem surprised at this move or upset, was very gracious about his opportunity with the Spurs...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are in such solid shape going forward, this is likely just a blip.

Morris reminded me of every other sluggish front-court FA that passed on the Spurs, from Lamond Murray on. (Gosh, the Spurs never recovered from that one.)

Lyles has the profile of every player the Spurs rescued from the scrap heap -- a failed prospect ready to work.

Is he tho? I heard his work ethic is trash

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Upon further reflection, I do find it interesting that the Spurs signed Lyles to the same amount of money per year that they were reportedly willing to give to Kyle Anderson. If I may put on my rose-tinted and tastefully-perfumed glasses, perhaps the coaching staff feels that they can turn Lyles into a facsimile of what Anderson was/is defensively, as their body types/skillsets are quite similar (with Lyles being more athletic).

In the highly unlikely scenario where the coaches and Lyles himself are able to turn Lyles into a more athletic Anderson on defense, then he becomes a more interesting pickup.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sucks that a team like the Spurs, who have done everything right in order to build and maintain a winning roster, get totaled raped by Kawhi and Uncle Dennis. Essentially, the Spurs long-term future was set, post Duncan. Imagine our young talent maturing with Kawhi at the core. And then, while we're starting to get back on our feet a little bit, Morris and Rich Paul comes in and kick us in the shin and knock us back down a notch. Spurs can't win dealing with fvck s like that. Some teams are poorly managed and deserve that sort of treatment...the Spurs, on the other hand, have just had their future torpedoed by assholes.
    agree. its frustrating and the spurs and their fans dont deserve it

Thread Information