Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1547
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka is going to be the story this year like KJ was last year. By the end of the year he will be starting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka is going to be the story this year like KJ was last year. By the end of the year he will be starting.
    For Austin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s not going to be starting unless his long ball dramatically improves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy really needs to get his act together. Keldon was easily a better pick and has proven it. Devin got more prime time burn than he did last season. Trey Jones got a few minutes last year but looked real good in the summer league. The spurs were high on Primo and he didn't look bad in summer league, just inexperienced. I know these guys don't play the same position as Luka, but in the position less NBA you can have 5 smaller, good shooting, strong players on the court at once rather than a typical big like Luka. We always talk about his potential, but after 2 years its just not that quite what everybody thought it was. Sure he's shown flashes but you need more than that, especially if olympic Keldon, Primo, Trey, Devin have shown just as much potential if not a lot more. Dude really really needs to step it up this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy really needs to get his act together. Keldon was easily a better pick and has proven it. Devin got more prime time burn than he did last season. Trey Jones got a few minutes last year but looked real good in the summer league. The spurs were high on Primo and he didn't look bad in summer league, just inexperienced. I know these guys don't play the same position as Luka, but in the position less NBA you can have 5 smaller, good shooting, strong players on the court at once rather than a typical big like Luka. We always talk about his potential, but after 2 years its just not that quite what everybody thought it was. Sure he's shown flashes but you need more than that, especially if olympic Keldon, Primo, Trey, Devin have shown just as much potential if not a lot more. Dude really really needs to step it up this year.
    The log at the PF position didn’t help. Sure Tre was more poised, but the injury history in the PG position helped his cause. Vassell’ position as 3 and D was a need. Keldon had a break at the Bubble and he took off. I think Pop tried to insert Luka, but he was terribly outmatched going to the hole. He obviously needed to get stronger. Plus Pop wanted to give Rudy his chance to get his next contract. But all said, there’s no more excuse. It’s a boom or bust without the vets. I think he still has the biggest upside with his athleticism, him and Lonnie. I was excited for him at what he was able to do at the Bubble. The imminent signing of Jock and Zollins should also be a wake-up call. It’s telling for Luka this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka’s not a typical big. Typical bigs don’t put the ball on the floor outside the 3 pt. Line, and drive all the way to the cup. If anything, he’s an outsized 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka could have been the second coming of AK47 last season and he wasn’t getting minutes over Rudy gay and we should all be adult enough here to understand this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka could have been the second coming of AK47 last season and he wasn’t getting minutes over Rudy gay and we should all be adult enough here to understand this
    Kirilenko had multiple (3) 5X5 games. The only other player with more than 1 is Hakeem, with 6. Luka just would never be the defender needed to generate 5 steals and 5 blocks in one game. His development has been a bit slow, but if I have one REAL disappointment with him, it’s the fact that he’s an outrageous athlete, but doesn’t create defensive events. He should be a shot blocker at 6’10” with a 38” vert, but he isn’t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team added a few bigs and one forward (McD) that will take playing time, then there are suggestions like this:

Even with all the additions, the team is in flux, with few players with set roles and many competing for minutes. If he's ready he could earn playing time. Beating a duo of Bryn and Tre for minutes shouldn't be difficult for an NBA player. Collins is injured and an afterthought until spring next year. Jock is a center competing for a different role probably with Eubanks, maybe Jakob too.

He isn't dethroning Johnson or McDermott, but he could push some of these undersized microball lineups for a break. If he were good enough he could theoretically even start, allowing Keldon to play the 3. If he was good enough...

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yea sure. why not say a second coming of Hakeem, just as Bryn Forbes could be a second coming of Steph Curry, if only he played 35 min and took 20 shots.

roflmao, comparing a scrub like samanic to kirilenko.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kirilenko had multiple (3) 5X5 games. The only other player with more than 1 is Hakeem, with 6. Luka just would never be the defender needed to generate 5 steals and 5 blocks in one game. His development has been a bit slow, but if I have one REAL disappointment with him, it’s the fact that he’s an outrageous athlete, but doesn’t create defensive events. He should be a shot blocker at 6’10” with a 38” vert, but he isn’t.
    I agree that he is more of 3 than a 4, but disagree on his defensive capabilities. He has elite lateral movement. During the 5 game stretch that he actually got playing time he held his man to 38% shooting. That was the lowest in the NBA over that stretch. Admittedly a very small sample size. Also over that period he was #1 on the Spurs in +/-. I know that isn't necessarily telling over a small window, but it used to be those were the type of performances that would earn you more time on the Spurs. It obviously didn't happen. I agree with John B that a bunch of that was doing right by Rudy and DDR. A line up of DJM, White, KJ, Poeltl, and Samanic would be an awesome defensive line up with KJ being the weak link. While it didn't produce the defensive events you refer to it was excellent defense nonetheless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You all should know by now that Pop waits until everyone thinks a player is a bust before he unleashes them. Would not be surprised if Luka an Walker are the best players on the team by year's end.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You all should know by now that Pop waits until everyone thinks a player is a bust before he unleashes them. Would not be surprised if Luka an Walker are the best players on the team by year's end.
    Some people here are All-Star or bust.

If Walker comes in and averages anywhere above 15ppg on 44% or better that’s a huge win.

If Luka can get 15mpg and show similar year 1 to year 2 improvement that Walker showed I’ll be ecstatic. I’d rather these guys develop slowly than turn into a Markannen or 40% chucker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that he is more of 3 than a 4, but disagree on his defensive capabilities. He has elite lateral movement. During the 5 game stretch that he actually got playing time he held his man to 38% shooting. That was the lowest in the NBA over that stretch. Admittedly a very small sample size. Also over that period he was #1 on the Spurs in +/-. I know that isn't necessarily telling over a small window, but it used to be those were the type of performances that would earn you more time on the Spurs. It obviously didn't happen. I agree with John B that a bunch of that was doing right by Rudy and DDR. A line up of DJM, White, KJ, Poeltl, and Samanic would be an awesome defensive line up with KJ being the weak link. While it didn't produce the defensive events you refer to it was excellent defense nonetheless.
    Not to mention it's much, much harder to even come close to a 5x5 in today's game due to the nature of modern shot profiles for teams. It's ridiculously harder to get 5 blocks and steals when teams are shooting mostly 3pt shots and you have to stand your ground as a big on the perimeter instead of camping in the paint and having opponents literally drive towards you for contested shots at the rim like they used to. Saying Luka can't become a Kirilenko-like player because he doesn't have a 5x5 is a weird strawman.

Having said that, I do believe Luka isn't the defender AK47 was. He has the potential to be a better offensive player though, IF his shot gets better, especially given his physical profile. If he could play the 3 and the 4.... Yum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kirilenko is a pretty high bar to set-- he was insanely effective even at the ages of 20 and 21 in the NBA. His advanced stats are elite and comparable to Manu's...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defensive play making/disruption usually goes hand in hand with length though. Kirilenko supposedly has a 7'4'' wingpsan, while Samanic has a relatively paltry 6'10.5'' one.

He's clearly a 4 in the modern NBA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like with Lonnie, I'm not getting to attached to the idea of him being on the 15 man roster on opening night. Filler in a trade or just cut.

Not saying I agree with it, I'd like to see him get some legit chances. But I'm not counting on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like with Lonnie, I'm not getting to attached to the idea of him being on the 15 man roster on opening night. Filler in a trade or just cut.

Not saying I agree with it, I'd like to see him get some legit chances. But I'm not counting on it.
    THEY’RE NOT GOING TO CUT HIM AND EAT NEARLY $3M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think will see Luka early to see if he has it or not, then will get the Metu treatment if he doesn’t deliver. I think Luka needs to hit the ground running, or he would have a short NBA, or at least as a Spur. Funny how our bigs carved their careers somewhere else: Mahinmi, Baynes, Boban, Metu. I kniw with Boban, FA price was too much for the Spurs to resign him. Metu I didn’t mind

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THEY’RE NOT GOING TO CUT HIM AND EAT NEARLY $3M.
    They cut jaren Jackson and ate $3M and that was 20 years ago.

People are getting cut or traded just to make a 15 man roster.

Hutchinson is 4 million, Aminu would be 10

they cut DeMarre Carroll and ate ... what? 10 million? I don't remember but it was a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yea sure. why not say a second coming of Hakeem, just as Bryn Forbes could be a second coming of Steph Curry, if only he played 35 min and took 20 shots.

roflmao, comparing a scrub like samanic to kirilenko.
    you really are dumb as if you read my comment and thought I was calling him kirilenko

that horny to jump on someone? off.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This group is delusional. Luka isn’t Metu. That was an entirely different kind of project. They’re not adding him as filler(unless it’s franchise altering) or cutting him. He could have an identical season with minimal progress and he’ll be back for a third year.

They’ve put more time and exercised more patience with lessor prospects.

He’s most definitely viewed as a long term investment. This guy would have to the bed in biblical proportions or have some kind of public meltdown or run in with the law for him to be released.

This type of conversation would be much more relevant if he shows no progress this upcoming season.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this is the most honest take.

People complain why Forbes or Lyles started, yet don’t see the opposite and wonder why some players don’t play. Pop has his favorites and also those in the dog house. It’s weird, but it’s also pretty simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this is the most honest take.

People complain why Forbes or Lyles started, yet don’t see the opposite and wonder why some players don’t play. Pop has his favorites and also those in the dog house. It’s weird, but it’s also pretty simple.
    To be fair, Trey Lyles was given the opportunity to start/play, epically shat the bed, and was never seen again, essentially no longer part of the team.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, Trey Lyles was given the opportunity to start/play, epically shat the bed, and was never seen again, essentially no longer part of the team.
    Very good point. Yet, and then we have Forbes, who was problematic in his own way, was justifiably not resigned, and yet here we are. Things don’t always make sense is my point, I suppose.

Thread Information