Page 158 of 171 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 4270
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been watching more of Tennessee to get a better handle on Keon Johnson. I continue to like him. He's raw, needs a year in the G League and he may never pan out but he is a great athlete with star potential.

But, surprisingly, the player who caught my eye even more is Johnson's teammate Jaden Springer. I know Dejounte doesn't want to hear about a 6-foot-4 combo guard but Springer is legitimately really intriguing. IIRC, he's the youngest American in the draft. He's 6-foot-4, built like Keldon Johnson and already understands how to use that strength to his advantage. Very good footwork. Shooting stroke isn't the best but he shot 81% at the line and 43.5% on threes, so tough to complain. Defense is where he really shines. Add elite quickness to his strength and he's a terror one-on-one. Also really good team-wise.

Obviously, the Spurs don't exactly need yet another 6-foot-4 combo guard but Springer is legit. I think he has star upside at some point down the road. If his shooting turns out to be a fluke (which is possible), he could level off as a backup. But there's enough young Chauncey Billups in him that I'd be happy with the Spurs picking him at any spot after 10 or so.

As my guy TD 21 states, the Spurs don't have anyone good enough to worry about building around at this point. That's why I'd be happy with Springer even though there's no glaring need for him. Besides, he's so much younger than White that they wouldn't even really be in the same generation. Springer would be ready to roll once White is declining.

On the other side of the coin, the more I watch Scottie Barnes, the less I like. There's a sliver of hope that he figures it all out and becomes a star but there's also a really good chance that he's the next Ekpe Udoh. Udoh was billed as being able to defend every position and being such a good passer that you could ignore his offensively shortcomings. But it turned out he was such a non-factor on offense that you couldn't even put him on the court. Barnes could be in that same boat. He has really good defensive potential but I just don't see what he does on offense. Yeah, his passing looks good on the college level but, in the NBA, you have to be some sort of threat to be a good passer. Barnes' jumper looks broken, he has bad touch in the paint and he's not that amazing of an athlete. I could understand the Spurs gambling on Barnes at 14 or 15 but my expectations wouldn't be that high.
    A lot of great points here. I haven't watched Scottie Barnes bc he's projected to be out of the Spurs range, he's been hyped and is unlikely to fall. A top lottery team will gamble on him.

It's actually a lot of wisdom in this post concerning the lack of value passing has if the player doesn't have gravity which caught my eye.

Also, I hope the Spurs attempt to balance the roster through FA. While they need size, they shouldn't restrict themselves to looking at bigs, specially if the ones that fall to them are such a high risk gamble that we are looking at Samanic-like levels of years of development required. By all.means some gambles are so flawed in some areas that unless the player improves upon the flaw you won't be able to play him without going on a big tankathon. Which is why again, the draft is for looking for future talent and potential.

I have adjusted my expectations as such. If they take a guard/wing I think a trade is in the near future and they will look to FA to balance the roster out. Which is a perfectly fine strategy of they aim to follow through. What would be disappointing is taking a guard and standing pat without making moves to add size in FA.

Having said this, the Spurs have worked out Sengun, Kai Jones, etc and may be looking at adding a big here, So we'll see.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 07-26-2021 at 08:09 AM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garuba is a high end role player. I like him more than most but understand the blah feeling around him. I’m also warming up to Kispert at 12 because his combine numbers were much better than I expected. But I do think they are right that Garuba could be who we get. Not saying it’s the most likely but I won’t be surprised.

Edit: since December he’s supposedly been shooting in the high 30s from 3. Another article mentioned 84% free throws since April. I mean, he could be the ultimate 3/D guy.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 07-26-2021 at 08:12 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garuba is a high end role player. I like him more than most but understand the blah feeling around him. I’m also warming up to Kispert at 12 because his combine numbers were much better than I expected. But I do think they are right that Garuba could be who we get. Not saying it’s the most likely but I won’t be surprised.

Edit: since December he’s supposedly been shooting in the high 30s from 3. Another article mentioned 84% free throws since April. I mean, he could be the ultimate 3/D guy.
    I hope they take someone offensively inclined. You may get an empty calories type unfortunately but also they need to gamble on some potential scoring talent IMO. They are already very defensively inclined and a lot of their scoring came from the vets (specially the shooting).I should probably look at this area next.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesnt matter what percentage Usman hits from deep, those shots were generated for him and on this Spurs team the problem is when our resident ball hogs go ISO over and over (Patty, Gay, DeMar). Someone with a lick of shot creating ability needs to take on those duties and Usman isn’t it.

ideally you find a player who can do both ISO and spot up 3s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Right. I forgot about Kispert. I'd take him before Garuba. I don't see where Garuba plays other than off the bench, while Kispert could start and actually provides something badly needed in shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude Scottie Barnes is such a lock to be a contributor in some way, shape, or form in this league.

The defensive fundamentals and physical tools are too good not to translate immediately, and his handle is tight enough to create in transition off rebounds, steals, outlet passes from a center, whatever the case might be.

If the jumper doesn’t come around, you have a top tier glue guy, borderline all star that can defend and run in the open floor, do the dirty work and make the hustle plays winning teams need.

He’s not the MVP upside guy of this draft, and that’s why he’s projected to go number 5 instead of top 3. But the dude will contribute and if you watch his game tape, his lowlights, his highlights, and genuinely come to the conclusion that he will bust I question what you are seeing and what you are thinking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At all these rumors flying today about the usual suspects from the most connected insiders in the industry and not a mention of the team that's in arguably the worst short/long term position in the league, with virtually unmatched flexibility. Spare me the "CIA Pop" routine.

Do these comatose idiots have any intention of ever doing anything outside of their usual shtick and do they really think that's going to turn them into a good team again?

I don't even care so much what they do anymore, just that they do something. One time, be aggressive, pick a direction, act like they're actually in the league and not operating in their own bubble.
    unnecessary if you value what a 20 yr old samanich brings to this team in the years ahead. if you think Luka is a star or superstar possibility, you're only looking to add smart, reliable, battle tested complimentary pieces.

Luka is clearly the one player that has the *possibility* to be that guy in 3 or 4 years.

if you don't think that's a possibility but maybe you think you can maybe get a potential future one in Sengun, then you stay the course.

if you don't see that in anyone, then yes, maybe you throw out the book on how the Spurs won 5 chips and start swinging wildly like a bunch of punch-drunk fools

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With DeMar likely out

that’s a big event in and of itself

That points to increasing Vassells role on the team

and maybe whoever we select from this draft

or it could just be Lonnie who sees his usage go up

exciting times ahead

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorts illustrated has the Spurs taking Kispert. I'd be fine with that. But that's above Giddey sengun Moses Moody and duarte. All prospects that I think Spurs would be higher on. SI also say they don't see Kispert sliding past the lottery So maybe they just slapped him here to fulfill a need. The Spurs can benefit from having him right away though so the guess is probably not too far off.
    [Edit: with Demar scoring out, taking Kiert or any other player that can place points on the board is a safe pick.]

The ringer has the pelicans taking kispert while Moody giddey and duarte fall, but don't make it to 17, which is why the Grizzlies want to trade, So things aren't as predictable as all that but I can't see the Spurs taking Garuba. I may be disappointed if he's the pick I think.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 07-26-2021 at 10:19 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With DeMar likely out

that’s a big event in and of itself

That points to increasing Vassells role on the team

and maybe whoever we select from this draft

or it could just be Lonnie who sees his usage go up

exciting times ahead
    YES!!!!

I'd hope this moves KJ to the 3 spot and we add a decent 4 to round out the SL.

Vassell and Luka are due to get some burn. It is definitely more exciting than the last couple of seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    YES!!!!

I'd hope this moves KJ to the 3 spot and we add a decent 4 to round out the SL.

Vassell and Luka are due to get some burn. It is definitely more exciting than the last couple of seasons.
    it's why sengun is the piece the Spurs need. Imagine a Sengun, Luka, KJ, White, Dejouunte lineup.

That's *potentially* dynastic championship level stuff again.

*if Sengun develops an outside game
    *if Luka turns the corner and becomes half of what he has the potential for

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's why sengun is the piece the Spurs need. Imagine a Sengun, Luka, KJ, White, Dejouunte lineup.

If only we all became half of our potential, it'd be an amazing world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope they take someone offensively inclined. You may get an empty calories type unfortunately but also they need to gamble on some potential scoring talent IMO. They are already very defensively inclined and a lot of their scoring came from the vets (specially the shooting).I should probably look at this area next.
    I agree in general but not sure who will be available that fits that bill. The roster is already a mess. Sengun is my hope, as he can self create. Giddey can pass but may not be able to self create yet. Otherwise, you’re looking at maybe Duarte for his Harden-esque shooting and footwork on the perimeter, and hope some sanity is brought to the back court via trades, but drafting another guard and not making any trades sounds problematic, which is why I cooled on Springer, not because of the lack of talent.

I digress. But whoever we draft will have promise and questions.

Again, I’m warming up to Kispert as his combine numbers weren’t bad, and he finishes in transition surprisingly really well iirc, so he has more utility than Trey Murphy in my opinion.

As for Garuba, he may not fit this team, but until we get a creator, no one fits perfectly. I may not be summarizing Chinook’s philosophy well, but I agree with taking solid useful players as assets if nothing else, rather than roll the dice on blind upside, like, say, Kai Jones.

There’s what we want. There’s what we think the team will do. And there’s plenty of frustration. I’m just throwing around ideas.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    unnecessary if you value what a 20 yr old samanich brings to this team in the years ahead. if you think Luka is a star or superstar possibility, you're only looking to add smart, reliable, battle tested complimentary pieces.

Luka is clearly the one player that has the *possibility* to be that guy in 3 or 4 years.

if you don't think that's a possibility but maybe you think you can maybe get a potential future one in Sengun, then you stay the course.

if you don't see that in anyone, then yes, maybe you throw out the book on how the Spurs won 5 chips and start swinging wildly like a bunch of punch-drunk fools

Given how serious an individual you come across as, I can only take these at face value. They're among the most absurd comments I've ever seen on this board, which is saying something.

The "book on how the Spurs won 5 chips" was to draft two all-timers #1 overall (no, it wasn't all them, but they were the primary reasons) and get lucky with 3 other Hall-of-Famers (yes, they had a hand in the development of Parker and S bag, but it's still luck to get players of that caliber where they got them).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathan Givony tweeting today that Sacramento is being "extremely aggressive" trying to trade their pick and move up... interesting, as most of the speculation up until now has had them loving Franz Wagner, making him a promise, etc...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathan Givony tweeting today that Sacramento is being "extremely aggressive" trying to trade their pick and move up... interesting, as most of the speculation up until now has had them loving Franz Wagner, making him a promise, etc...
    It could be the Intel coming out that Orlando is interest in taking Franz ahead of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems foolish to try to get into the top 5, to me, unless Suggs or Mobley are the targets and I don't think the Kings need Suggs. Maybe Barnes, if that's where they think he is. Trying to get over Orlando to get Wagner... I don't think that's Orlando's pick and moving just for Wagner doesn't seem smart. SI indicates Orlando may try to get out of the lottery, as they have a logjam of players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree about Suggs or Mobley. I like them the best. As for Sacramento and Orlando, it is weird. I’m still thinking smoke and mirrors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chad Ford released some interesting intel he’s hearing. Said he thinks Ziaire could go #8, Trey Murphy could go to the kings at 9 if Wagner is gone, Kai looks like Charlottes pick at 11, and pacers really liked Kispert, Duarte, and Murphy
    Last edited by Degoat; 07-26-2021 at 01:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chad Ford released some interesting intel he’s hearing.
    Fascinating. Thanks for telling us what it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fascinating. Thanks for telling us what it is.
    I did… go look again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chad Ford released some interesting intel he’s hearing. Said he thinks Ziaire could go #8, Trey Murphy could go to the kings at 9, Kai looks like Charlottes pick at 11
    Got it.

Those are bad picks. I'm not sure how plugged in he is. I can sort of see Ziaire that high. Seems like he's been having good workouts. Trey Murphy that high is a big mistake, IMO, and I think we've long suspected Jones goes to Charlotte and I wouldn't be surprised.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davion worked out for SAS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davion worked out for SAS.
    Dejounte Murray trade confirmed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mitc would improve the team as a starting guard Day 1.

Thread Information