Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone thinks the way we could handle the players market at the best is using our cap space in exchange of players for teams under luxury cap danger? NY is probably the only other team with enough cap space to opt for this way of marketing, and probably the Knicks will prefer to go in a veterans market direction considering they are already in the play offs perspective (in fact they are considered the main suitors of free agents like DDR and Lowry)....

I know, for example, GS, also if is an healthy team financially, has Thompson coming back and probably taking the most of Wiggins shoots and resposabilities. They already have with their actual roster a lux tax big bill on them and plus, probably, they will be paying other ten players and 2 first round pick choices. I think they would be inclined to sell short some of their players with value just for the sake of not paying the tax...with just 4 players they are in fact aboundantly over the tax next year (Curry, Thompson, Wiggins and Green sums an amount of 140 millions...).

Imho trade Wiggins and Wiseman for free cap space is not out of question, expecially considering Wiseman has been valued by Kerr some good time away from contributing in the right way...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Save it and tank

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way the Warriors sell either Wiggins or Wiseman for cap space and lux tax savings. It’s not like they’d have any cap space to use even if they do it.They’ll need both for a star trade, say Beal - Wiseman and picks as sweeteners and Wiggins’s contract as ballast.

I’ve said it in other threads too but while the idea of selling cap space for bad contracts and picks could be logical, there are very few actual contracts that teams would attach a pick to move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point, a trade for Wiggins isn't nearly as risky as it was a year or two ago. His salary, though high, isn't as outrageous as it was before because league salaries have jumped and he himself has aged to become a relatively net neutral player, after being a significant net negative player. His overall shooting has improved slightly-- again, maybe enough to make him average rather than below average. There'd be one full season of paying him, but then in the next year he'd be a potentially appealing expiring contract and trade piece. He just turned 26-- which feels unreal because he's been around so long now. I'm not advocating for this, but it's not as crazy a scenario as it was two years ago. I doubt Golden State would do it, but if they attached this year's draft pick and a future pick from, say, 2024 or '25-- when Curry/Klay/Green might be starting to decline-- it might be a reasonable move, if no other alternatives arise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point, a trade for Wiggins isn't nearly as risky as it was a year or two ago. His salary, though high, isn't as outrageous as it was before because league salaries have jumped and he himself has aged to become a relatively net neutral player, after being a significant net negative player. His overall shooting has improved slightly-- again, maybe enough to make him average rather than below average. There'd be one full season of paying him, but then in the next year he'd be a potentially appealing expiring contract and trade piece. He just turned 26-- which feels unreal because he's been around so long now. I'm not advocating for this, but it's not as crazy a scenario as it was two years ago. I doubt Golden State would do it, but if they attached this year's draft pick and a future pick from, say, 2024 or '25-- when Curry/Klay/Green might be starting to decline-- it might be a reasonable move, if no other alternatives arise.
    Wiggins would be 3rd on my list, after Harrison Barnes and Al Horford. They are both useful players in the modern game, Barnes is a good shooting combo forward, and Horford a stretch two way combo big who could actually play WITH Poeltl. We could actually do both of them in our cap space if the FA thing goes south. I really only want Collins as a FA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wiggins would be 3rd on my list, after Harrison Barnes and Al Horford. They are both useful players in the modern game, Barnes is a good shooting combo forward, and Horford a stretch two way combo big who could actually play WITH Poeltl. We could actually do both of them in our cap space if the FA thing goes south. I really only want Collins as a FA.
    Yeah, Barnes is #1 for me too, but his contract is actually reasonable at this point. Yesterday I was on tankathon and the first time I pressed the SIM LOTTERY button, Sacramento came up with the #1 pick, and I thought, "ah, that would be interesting..."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also I was bored, it was late, & I'd probably had a little too much mezcal, but I pressed that ing button like 50 times and the Spurs still never got the #1 pick. The #2 once and the #3 once, but never #1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There seems to be a group-based conclusion here that Wiseman isn't nearly as as good, or promising, or valued as he actually is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can’t. There is a minimum salary floor that prevents saving cap room. The only real way to do that is taking on short contracts. They meet payroll, and roll off quickly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There seems to be a group-based conclusion here that Wiseman isn't nearly as as good, or promising, or valued as he actually is.
    He’s not very good now. It will take some time to develop him, but that isn’t a surprise if you look at, say, the development curve of Gobert.

Thread Information