Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Is anybody here a practicing vegan/vegetarian?

While I absolutely love the taste of meat (my favorite meal is a good rib-eye steak), cheese, etc., I've gotten to a point where I'm struggling to cope with the reality that is factory farming, and don't think I can continue my meat-eating habits in good conscience, tbh.

I know it's unrealistic to go vegan cold-turkey (no pun intended), but what are some realistic diet subs utes aside from the obvious such as Almond/Soy instead of cow milk, vegetable/olive oil instead of buttter, adding more beans/legumes to my diet.

I'm talking things like cheese, eggs, etc.

I do think that as long as I'm mindful of the source, there can be justification for buying chicken products if they are free-range or acquired from specific farms/providers, but that's not something I've necessarily made my mind on. I'm much less confident that I can make similar justifications for beef products, let alone pork.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Suggestion: Eat your meat.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Almond milk is good but a grown ass man shouldn’t drink any soy milk unless he’s trying to grow s.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Almond milk is good but a grown ass man shouldn’t drink any soy milk unless he’s trying to grow s.

already preferred the taste of almond milk between the two

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    College
    Arizona Wildcats

already preferred the taste of almond milk between the two
    Iirc almonds are actually good for testosterone levels too, as oppose to soy which is near the top of every health expert list of foods that jack up estrogen levels in men.

Setting aside obvious reasons for why testosterone levels are important, the best way for me to boost their metabolism and not put on fat is high testosterone levels.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    In which case he's a gay man and not a grown ass man.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Or you can’t have any pudding

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    OP turning into a beta soy boy tbh

only meat probably eats is johnson

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Says the incel virgin
    And proud of it tbh. No one is good enough for me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Vegan is tough for me. My wife has been vegetarian for like 10 years with some bouts of veganism in between. By default, I would say my diet is like 70% vegetarian because of that.

We never buy meat or keep it in the house, but if we go out to eat and I want some, that is what I order. It’s a great balance for me and not because of philosophical reasons, just because I’ve never been THAT into meat (I love seafood though).

She tried making her own cheese from cashews (cashew milk/coconut milk are also good like almond milk) but it’s just tiring. Obviously if you have money you can easily buy vegan products and do just fine. But for me the jump from vegetarian to vegan was not worth it (not sure about impacts on the environment though regarding that jump).

If there are no philosophical reasons you can see to go vegan, my advice would just be vegetarian and like you said mix in things you are cool with (free range eggs, humanely produced cheeses/milk products, fish every once in a while).

So much easier and accomplishes many of the same goals I would imagine. But I can tell you tons of great vegetarian options. Great cookbooks, products I like etc...

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Vegan is tough for me. My wife has been vegetarian for like 10 years with some bouts of veganism in between. By default, I would say my diet is like 70% vegetarian because of that.

We never buy meat or keep it in the house, but if we go out to eat and I want some, that is what I order. It’s a great balance for me and not because of philosophical reasons, just because I’ve never been THAT into meat (I love seafood though).

She tried making her own cheese from cashews (cashew milk/coconut milk are also good like almond milk) but it’s just tiring. Obviously if you have money you can easily buy vegan products and do just fine. But for me the jump from vegetarian to vegan was not worth it (not sure about impacts on the environment though regarding that jump).

If there are no philosophical reasons
    you can see to go vegan, my advice would just be vegetarian and like you said mix in things you are cool with (free range eggs, humanely produced cheeses/milk products, fish every once in a while).

So much easier and accomplishes many of the same goals I would imagine. But I can tell you tons of great vegetarian options. Great cookbooks, products I like etc...
    doing it for "philosophical" reasons is gotry

only time I don't shun veg(etari)anism is when it's for medical reasons, such as someone with a bad heart condition, and/or serious issues with cholesterol and saturated fat tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

If there are no philosophical reasons you can see to go vegan, my advice would just be vegetarian and like you said mix in things you are cool with (free range eggs, humanely produced cheeses/milk products, fish every once in a while).

I love meats, all of it. Beef, pork, chicken, fish... it’s basically philosophical with me. I don’t care about fish so much because they are captured and killed. That’s different than factory farming (pork, beef, and often times chickens). I’ve long known that i couldn’t really justify it, but basically ignored it out of convenience and preference. the thought has crept up on me, though.

I think the only exception id make is if I’m invited to a dinner, family or otherwise, and that’s what’s being served. But i don’t think I’m buying meat anymore or ordering at restaurants.

I’m not morally opposed to the concept of eating animals at all. I don’t think an animals life is inherently as valuable as a human’s. Really comes down to the methods involved in factory farming, where i think there is more abuse and suffering than can be justified by my taste bud preferences. For some, dietary restrictions and underlying health/nutritional conditions might make it impractical to avoid meat. For some they might not be able to afford feeding their family otherwise. And in many areas of the world there isn’t really the infrastructure to be selective about diet choices.

None of those exceptions apply to me at the moment, which is what I’ve really been grappling with.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If morality is the thing and you saw the vids about how we turn resources into delicious product, please watch some vids on the labor conditions of 3rd world manufacturing plants.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    If morality is the thing and you saw the vids about how we turn resources into delicious product, please watch some vids on the labor conditions of 3rd world manufacturing plants.
    completely honest, didnt even watch any videos. at least not recently at all. i was already aware of what was happening, so it wasnt some "oh my god i didnt know this was happening" emotional swing that got me to where i am.

i had put off reading too much about the subject because i pretty much knew that if i put more thought into it, i'd reach this conclusion, and i really dont want to give up beef/pork/dairy.

but then i started reading, listening to speakers on the subject. the discussion below is likely what put me over the edge. was pretty painful watching dillahunty make all sorts of mental contortions/gymnastics to justify his position, and it really was "ends justify the means." he just really wants to keep eating meat and his bending his argument around that, which is pretty striking given his tone on subjects he more regularly discuses.

the environmental aspects are an added bonus, but was not really part of my active thought process (though in other threads on the subject i did say that we need to massively decrease production of beef/pork and that i think that will be inevitable, at least in areas/countries where it is feasible)

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Familiarize yourself with Thai recipes; plenty of delicious vegan rolls, noodle, and rice dishes. I could never give up meat but damn I love myself some good Thai food.

https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/vegan-thai-recipes/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you don't, you can't have any pudding.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Is anybody here a practicing vegan/vegetarian?

While I absolutely love the taste of meat (my favorite meal is a good rib-eye steak), cheese, etc., I've gotten to a point where I'm struggling to cope with the reality that is factory farming, and don't think I can continue my meat-eating habits in good conscience, tbh.

I know it's unrealistic to go vegan cold-turkey (no pun intended), but what are some realistic diet subs utes aside from the obvious such as Almond/Soy instead of cow milk, vegetable/olive oil instead of buttter, adding more beans/legumes to my diet.

I'm talking things like cheese, eggs, etc.

I do think that as long as I'm mindful of the source, there can be justification for buying chicken products if they are free-range or acquired from specific farms/providers, but that's not something I've necessarily made my mind on. I'm much less confident that I can make similar justifications for beef products, let alone pork.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Learn to hunt and fish. You'll have fresh meat and you won't have relied on someone else to raise and kill bessie.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    College
    TCU Horned Frogs
    McDonalds makes a soy burger that is to die for.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I love meats, all of it. Beef, pork, chicken, fish... it’s basically philosophical with me. I don’t care about fish so much because they are captured and killed. That’s different than factory farming (pork, beef, and often times chickens). I’ve long known that i couldn’t really justify it, but basically ignored it out of convenience and preference. the thought has crept up on me, though.

I think the only exception id make is if I’m invited to a dinner, family or otherwise, and that’s what’s being served. But i don’t think I’m buying meat anymore or ordering at restaurants.

I’m not morally opposed to the concept of eating animals at all. I don’t think an animals life is inherently as valuable as a human’s. Really comes down to the methods involved in factory farming, where i think there is more abuse and suffering than can be justified by my taste bud preferences. For some, dietary restrictions and underlying health/nutritional conditions might make it impractical to avoid meat. For some they might not be able to afford feeding their family otherwise. And in many areas of the world there isn’t really the infrastructure to be selective about diet choices.

None of those exceptions apply to me at the moment, which is what I’ve really been grappling with.
    Makes sense. But the big question I can’t answer is if vegan v vegetarian accomplished the same goal for you? If so, vegetarian is way easier. Way easier.

Let me know if I can help!

100% can tell you to buy the cookbook Thug Kitchen. It’s incredible.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Makes sense. But the big question I can’t answer is if vegan v vegetarian accomplished the same goal for you? If so, vegetarian is way easier. Way easier.
    no doubt it would be easier. since my gripe doesnt have anything to do with the fact that they're killed, the meat vs dairy product distinction isn't really there.

im going to go step by step taking things out of my diet until it starts becoming unfeasible. my issue is there's a lot of fruit/vegetable products that i simply cant eat. not because of dietary restrictions or allergies per se, but because they just repulse me (eggplants, zucchini, avocado, mushrooms, most berries, raw tomatoes, off the top of my head). its not even a matter of "hmm i'd prefer not to have eggplants" but rather that its probably gag reflex inducing if i eat some of this stuff.

i'm essentially going to eliminate, or at the very least reduce as much as i reasonably can. whether i cut my consumption down to 0% or 5%, thats still something significant in my eyes. i'll see how far i can take it, starting with the meats, which should be the easiest, and working my way through dairy products as much as i can.

just checked out their website, looks pretty great! thanks for the rec

this looks outstanding

https://www.thugkitchen.com/recipes/...ean-enchiladas

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

at "Thug Kitchen" - that's a brilliant ing idea tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    no doubt it would be easier. since my gripe doesnt have anything to do with the fact that they're killed, the meat vs dairy product distinction isn't really there.

im going to go step by step taking things out of my diet until it starts becoming unfeasible. my issue is there's a lot of fruit/vegetable products that i simply cant eat. not because of dietary restrictions or allergies per se, but because they just repulse me (eggplants, zucchini, avocado, mushrooms, most berries, raw tomatoes, off the top of my head). its not even a matter of "hmm i'd prefer not to have eggplants" but rather that its probably gag reflex inducing if i eat some of this stuff.

i'm essentially going to eliminate, or at the very least reduce as much as i reasonably can. whether i cut my consumption down to 0% or 5%, thats still something significant in my eyes. i'll see how far i can take it, starting with the meats, which should be the easiest, and working my way through dairy products as much as i can.

just checked out their website, looks pretty great! thanks for the rec

this looks outstanding

https://www.thugkitchen.com/recipes/...ean-enchiladas
    The great news is there are so many legitimate great subs utes for all the food you like.

You literally can eat the same things: Thai, Italian, burgers, BLT, eggs, Mexican.

You just take out the meat (and some things like lasagne need no subs ute for meat in them to still be great) and sub in other things that very closely approximate why you’re eating the meat.

Try benevolent bacon - it’s awesome. Tons of veggie chorizo as well. Tofu is very versatile and can be cooked so many ways (grilled, or baked, can add liquid smoke, etc).

Impossible Burger is amazing too.

There’s so much stuff. But no matter what you like to eat there’s a great recipe for it vegetarian style

Thread Information