Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my dead grandma would be an upgrade over this joke. I really dont know what to do with this guy. If I am a gm, I would not want him near my team at all.

holy . He has 4 years left on his contract... And i thought Dallas was ed with Porzingis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my dead grandma would be an upgrade over this joke. I really dont know what to do with this guy. If I am a gm, I would not want him near my team at all.

holy . He has 4 years left on his contract... And i thought Dallas was ed with Porzingis.
    It's not the first time a player has psyched himself from trying to score. He'll have a good career regardless.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ben simmons is considered a superstar, for whatever reason, so unfortunately the 76ers would want like 5 first round picks for him
    Maybe at one point. His stock has decreased.

But he's still young and has strong potential, so Spurs fan being way too optimistic about pawning off their trash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guard that cant shoot or make free throws, are you kiddin me? If he hasnt shot the ball well his entire life, why would it start happening now?

PASS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I'm not a big Demar fan ONLY because his type of game does not fit in "modern day NBA" and with the Spurs personnel. BUT, to say that Simmons is better? Younger, yes. Just see below stats comparison. Demar is a better scorer with almost 7pts more, better finisher at the rim with twice the Ft attempt than Simmons, and higher conversion at 88% vs 61%. I mean would Sixers trade for Demar? Maybe not, but I can see Demar as a better clutch player. And he would not be the 1st option in that team. You put Demar as a 2nd or 3rd option in a contender? I think he'll be great.

Demar Derozan
    G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
    61 61 33.7 7.5 15.1 .495 0.3 1.2 .257 7.1 13.9 .515 .505 6.3 7.2 .880 0.7 3.6 4.2 6.9 0.9 0.2 2.0 2.1 21.6

Ben Simmons
    58 58 32.4 5.6 10.1 .557 0.1 0.2 .300 5.6 9.9 .562 .560 3.0 4.9 .613 1.6 5.6 7.2 6.9 1.6 0.6 3.0 2.9 14.3
    You’re only looking at one side of the ball. Simmons has already made 2X All Defense. Demar is a ing turnstile, and probably surrenders a bigger difference there than their scoring difference.

I wonder what Patty, as a fellow NT member, knows about his issues?
    Last edited by exstatic; 06-21-2021 at 07:21 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guard that cant shoot or make free throws, are you kiddin me? If he hasnt shot the ball well his entire life, why would it start happening now?

PASS
    Chip Englland . Simmons shot 30% from 3 last year. If you can even nudge that up to 34-35%, he becomes a weapon instead of a liability.

Guys with both All D and All NBA on their resume who haven’t passed 25 YO don’t come on the market every day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chip Englland . Simmons shot 30% from 3 last year. If you can even nudge that up to 34-35%, he becomes a weapon instead of a liability.

Guys with both All D and All NBA on their resume who haven’t passed 25 YO don’t come on the market every day.
    What do you mean he shot 30%? That was on 10 shots for the whole year. 3 of 10. Simmons has hit 5 threes his entire career, including the playoffs. Increasing that to even 50% on that low volume would mean nothing. DDR is Steph Curry compared to Simmons.

Besides Chip Engelland isn't a miracle worker, he's just a good coach, but when the player doesn't bother to even shoot with his strong hand there's nothing a coach could ever do to fix it.

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He shot 10 total 3-pointers over the course of the season. You can't make any projections on his 3-pt shooting based on shooting one every 8 games. IMO, he's never going to be an average shooter, much less a good one.

However, I still see him as a huge asset for the right price. He's as deadly as they come in the paint, he's still a really good passer, and he's one of the better defenders in the NBA. He has a major flaw, but I don't think his flaw (shooting) is as much of a detriment as Demar's is (defense) as long as you can build a complementary roster around him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You usually have good takes so I will excuse you for this one.

Sample size. Simmons literally hit three threes all year. One more, and he’d be at 40%. Does that change the take to “he’s a great shooter just think what he can do with more volume”?

We know Demar’s limitations on defensive end but Simmons is literally unplayable late in quarters because he can’t hit FTs. Age aside, Philly would have swapped the two of them in a heartbeat in retrospect. Demar on Sixers and they’re in the ECF likely with some rest.

Simmons is an awkward fit no matter where he ends up, as it’s hard to space the floor at every other position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons has no balls. No thanks to gutless party boys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK, I didn’t look at the volume.

Still, literally the only thing that needs fixing is his shot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't right off Simmons this early. The guy has insane skills, just not putting the ball in the basket. The contract is the issue because he is your Scottie Pippen/Ben Wallace hybrid that wins a le as the ultimate Robin but is paid as your batman. You don't go all in trying to get him, but you have a sniff and put in an offer. I think most teams will make an offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't right off Simmons this early. The guy has insane skills, just not putting the ball in the basket. The contract is the issue because he is your Scottie Pippen/Ben Wallace hybrid that wins a le as the ultimate Robin but is paid as your batman. You don't go all in trying to get him, but you have a sniff and put in an offer. I think most teams will make an offer.
    Yeah, his stock is low at the moment so it may get driven up because teams will be thinking they can get him for a steal and they can fix him. Look at people on this board. My point is he looks like you could get him for an advantageous deal but with others thinking that way, the price will go up from what we think it will be.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sounds like his work ethic needs fixing too if he hasn't done anything with his shot in 5 years in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons has not worked on his game at all and is still the same exact player with the same exact weaknesses as when he was drafted dude thinks he is better than he is and clearly does not work on his weaknesses in the offseason

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not necessarily writing him off...but from SA's perspective you'd have to have a major commitment to change your team to build around him so that he can be effective. Alot of our young guys would have to go because they wouldn't fit with him. DJ, White (maybe), KJ, jak....all would need to be moved unless they make huge strides with their 3 pt shot this off-season. That's a huge risk at this point and it would just be better from our point of view to focus on a few young guys and build with them by going after a 4 and a 2 that can defend and knock down 3's at a high rate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons has not worked on his game at all and is still the same exact player with the same exact weaknesses as when he was drafted dude thinks he is better than he is and clearly does not work on his weaknesses in the offseason
    He was a first overall pick. There wasn’t a lot, OTHER THAN HIS SHOT, that needed working on.

Folks, this is how you acquire an All NBA player. He’s a distressed asset. If he were perfect, they wouldn’t be thinking of trading him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not necessarily writing him off...but from SA's perspective you'd have to have a major commitment to change your team to build around him so that he can be effective. Alot of our young guys would have to go because they wouldn't fit with him. DJ, White (maybe), KJ, jak....all would need to be moved unless they make huge strides with their 3 pt shot this off-season. That's a huge risk at this point and it would just be better from our point of view to focus on a few young guys and build with them by going after a 4 and a 2 that can defend and knock down 3's at a high rate.
    Most of these younger guys would go the other way in a potential trade anyway.

The problem with Simmons is that he's a center, who can't protect the rim, but is a good perimeter defender. Very difficult to set up a workable rotation with him. Closest would be something like GS's death line-up, but you'd need a dynamic scorer for it to have any chance of working.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You could say the same thing about DeRozan and his 3 shot, Simmons has had years to fix his shot, he chose not to, just like Derozan

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and just so you know he has a 15% trade kicker too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and just so you know he has a 15% trade kicker too.
    Waivable? I doubt his life will be too much fun in Philly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    simmons needs to be on a team that has defensive needs but is fine offensively-the spurs don't fit into that category. sure, simmons would help to make the spurs really stout on the defensive side of the ball but i don't know that he'll ever be right in the head on the offensive side. can you imagine simmons and poeltl on the floor at the same time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could say the same thing about DeRozan and his 3 shot, Simmons has had years to fix his shot, he chose not to, just like Derozan
    DeRozan has never made an All D team, and he’s also 31. Simmons is 24. he’s made the last two First Teams. He’s 6’11”. In other words, he’s not DeMar DeRozan.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait, wait...some of you can't be serious???
    Simmons on a max deal when we already have the worst spacing in the league?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The problem with Simmons is that he's a center, who can't protect the rim, but is a good perimeter defender. Very difficult to set up a workable rotation with him. Closest would be something like GS's death line-up, but you'd need a dynamic scorer for it to have any chance of working.
    In theory, I can see how Simmons as a small ball center might work-- he'd be as switchable as Bam (maybe more), which is something most teams would love. The 76ers will never give this a try because Embiid is their #1 guy, though they've tried the less effective pairing with Simmons at PF. But still, I don't think it's worth the experiment--for the Spurs, anyway. If his reticence to shoot creates an issue with the level of teammates he has had (Embiid, Jimmy Butler, Al Horford, etc) it's really hard to imagine it working with zero stars. My fear is he got that monster contract, but is maybe more of a Ricky Rubio type player, with certain definite positive qualities and certain definite negative qualities-- an overall net positive guy, but not someone that's ever going to lead you to a championship. Who knows, though: think back two years ago, when Ben was the #3 guy and Philly came within one basket of beating Toronto, and likely would've won a championship that year. I have to say Doc River screwed up though, lowering his trade value by weirdly throwing him under the bus right after game 7.

Thread Information