Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After bad results in 2007 and 2008, French NT must play a qualifying tournament for the 2009 Euro that will happen in Poland this September.

The roster:

Tony Parker (Spurs) PG
    Joseph Gomis (Malaga, Spain) PG/SG
    Yannick Bokolo (Gravelines, France) PG/SG
    Nando De Colo (Valencia, Spain) PG/SG
    Nicolas Batum (Blazers) SG/SF
    Mamoutou Diarra (free agent) SF
    Boris Diaw (Bobcats) SF/PF
    Florent Pietrus (Valencia, Spain) PF
    Ronny Turiaf (Warriors) PF/C
    Alain Koffi (Joventut, Spain) PF/C
    Ali Traoré (ASVEL, France) PF/C
    Alexis Ajinca (Bobcats) PF/C
    Joakim Noah (Bulls) C
    Johan Petro (free agent) C

That's 14 players, 2 players will be cut.
    Noah should be one because Chicago wants him back to work with him. The other one should be Petro or Ajinca.

Schedule:

July 13th: Start of the training camp.

Preparation games:
    July 24th: France - Austria
    July 25th: France - Belgium
    July 26th: France - Czech Republic
    July 30th: France - Hungria

Qualifications for the Euro:

First stage: 3 teams tournament, the best one advances to the qualification finale:
    August 5th: Italy - France
    August 8th: France - Finland
    August 14th: France - Italy
    August 17th: Finland - France

Final stage: 2 games (home and away) against the winner of the other qualification group (Belgium, Bosnia and Portugal). The winner advances to the euro.
    August 27th: first game.
    August 30th: second game.

2009 Eurobasket in Poland : 7th - 20th September.

Links:

French NT website (in French)
    Euro 2009 website

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do you know if they're going to be online? i really want to see Nando De Colo play

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the info.

I assume France is the favorite in that play-in tourney. Then who? Italy?

Hopefully Parker stays healthy and De Colo plays well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does Ian not play, same with Pietrus? I know Pietrus is not favored to highly by many of the other national team members/coaches, but why? I am pretty sure Ian plays with the "youth" national team, but does he ever get to play with the full side?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some news of the first week:

Spurs related:
    - TP hasn't played for nearly 2 months and a half. He isn't in great shape for the moment. Spurs' have send Mike Brungardt in France to work with him.
    - Nando De Colo has arrived one day late because of the signing of his new 3 years contract with Valencia. Word is that he has played well this week. He was France best scorer in a scrimmage the team has had this Sunday.

Others:
    - Larry Brown has spend the week with the team in France. Even if he isn't paid, he works with the coaching staff to give tips/advices.
    - There were an agreement between France NT and Chicago that Noah would be back at the end of the month to Chicago to work with Bulls. Noah played very well this week and they will try to keep him for the whole summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I assume France is the favorite in that play-in tourney. Then who? Italy?
    France and Italy are the favorites. France should be a little better we never know with them...

Why does Ian not play, same with Pietrus? I know Pietrus is not favored to highly by many of the other national team members/coaches, but why? I am pretty sure Ian plays with the "youth" national team, but does he ever get to play with the full side?
    Mike Pietrus is out because of a wrist injury. He hasn't been cleared by Magic medical staff.

Ian has been injured for one year. The best for him and the NT is that he stays with Spurs to practice and plays SL. Ian has never played for the senior French NT. He should have played in 2007 but has had a pectoral injury. If he has a good season, he will likely join the NT next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs offseason plan was to let spur players rest
    duncan could not do much and looks like tp could not either

The Most Sexy Troll on the Interwebs Hemotivo's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    - Larry Brown has spend the week with the team in France. Even if he isn't paid, he works with the coaching staff to give tips/advices.
    amazing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some Larry Brown quotes this week:

"Tony (Parker), Boris, Ronny (Turiaf) are having long seasons but they do not want to rest this summer," notes Larry Brown, who is "admirative".

"Alexis (Ajinca) is becoming better by coming here," he adds. I recommend this experience to all players. Joakim (Noah) does things here that he never do in Chicago."

"The French team has great champions, athletes and incredible compe ors. I am concerned about the teams who will use zone defense, but agressive defense can counter this coz the team will have to run and creat open space. But Batum and De Colo can shooter, Boris has done very well with us and Tony progresses."

link in french
    Last edited by sonic21; 07-20-2009 at 03:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sucks for Noah, he is playing great and Collet seems to be very high on him.

from L'équipe

A la fin de cette semaine, Joakim Noah va retourner à Chicago, déjà, après quinze premiers jours marquants en équipe de France. «Il apporte beaucoup donc s'il part, cela fera un manque qu'il faudra pallier rapidement», juge Mamoutou Diarra. «S'il part»... Lors de l'annonce de la présélection, il était clair que celui qui portait le n°21 lors du scrimmagene ferait qu'un passage. «On ne va pas se fâcher avec eux (les Bulls) mais maintenant qu'il est là, on va essayer de revenir à la charge, explique Patrick Beesley, le directeur de l'équipe de France. On ne va pas demander à Larry Brown (le conseiller spécial des Bleus) de batailler mais de leur dire qu'il serait mieux qu'il reste. L'agent de Joakim est un des anciens joueurs (de Brown) donc...»

Parker : «Je comprends Joakim»

«Techniquement, un club NBA n'a pas le droit de t'empêcher de jouer en équipe nationale»,précise Tony Parker. Sauf que les franchises renaclent encore souvent à libérer leurs joueurs étrangers, mais sans jamais être sanctionnées. Tout se joue dans le rapport de force entre un (jeune) homme et ses dirigeants. «A 19 ans, je venais d'être drafté et les Spurs voulaient que je fasse de la musculation, rappelle "TP". J'ai dit non et je suis allé à l'Euro. Mais je comprends Joakim.Tu essayes de faire plaisir à ton club car ce sont eux qui paient ton salaire. Quand un club NBA te met la pression, ce n'est pas facile. Il progresserait plus vite avec nous qu'à faire des work-outs (exercices) dans un gymnase où il n'y a personne. Je l'ai fait une année en 2004, ce n'est pas comme ça que tu progresses. Les matches contre l'Italie, la Finlande, ce sont de vrais matches. Et la musculation, il peut la faire avec nous. Joakim est d'accord là-dessus, mais ce n'est pas facile, ce n'est que sa deuxième année».

The French staff is going to try to negociate with the bulls to see if he can stay.
    TP remembered that technically Chicago cannot prevent him from playing but trying to force the thing is never positive. He added that at 19 years old, the spurs wanted him to work in SA but TP refused to not play the Euro but he understands Joakim situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand why the Bulls don't want Joakim to play.... he is young and healthy... and he is loving being there...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . On ne va pas demander à Larry Brown (le conseiller spécial des Bleus) de batailler mais de leur dire qu'il serait mieux qu'il reste. L'agent de Joakim est un des anciens joueurs (de Brown) donc...»
    We're going to ask Larry Brown to tell the bulls it would be better for Noah to stay. Joakim's agent is a former LB's player so...

Let's hope it's gonna work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand why the Bulls don't want Joakim to play.... he is young and healthy... and he is loving being there...
    They want that he adds some weight and works on his jumpshot. It's easier to do if the player is at their practice facility than playing in Europe.

About Larry Brown:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9w...es-bleus_sport
    It's press conference with him. He starts to talk at the 7min mark.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They want that he adds some weight and works on his jumpshot. It's easier to do if the player is at their practice facility than playing in Europe.

About Larry Brown:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9w...es-bleus_sport
    It's press conference with him. He starts to talk at the 7min mark.
    i think it's better for the player and Chicago to learn european play against old and experience player and he can lift some weight with the team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony interview in french

"Tony Parker, all your teamnates are saying it's a very intense preparation. How do you feel about this?
    We're trying not to laugh and joke too much and stay focused while training because we have only three weeks of preparation. Everyone is motivated. It's not that we weren't motivated the previous years, but compared to what happened last year, we want to show a new image of the French team.

You will play a tournament this week in Strasbourg. Are you eager to play again?
    Personally, I think training is good. This is important. This is sometimes one of our weakness, we're not disciplined enough. We have to work on how to deal with zone defense. So I'm glad we're training. The most important, it's August the 5th (first match in Italy).

Florent Pietrus said that the French team has always had potential but it more obvious this year. Is this your opinion?
    Each year, we have potential. But this year it is clear that we have a lot of it. We have many bigs, it's pretty impressive. Petro, Ajinca and Noah, a lot of player inside.

With Laurent Foirest injured, there is no real veterans on the team.
    But we are the veterans! Or I don't know the definition of veteran. Boris (Diaw), Flo (Pietrus), me will have to lead the team. It will be my fifth European Championship, more than Cyril (Julian) or Laurent Sciarra.

How do you feel personally?
    It was two and a half months, I hadn't done nothing. I just played with the children during my Camp. This is the first time I'm stopping that much, so I slowly get back to work. But it's ok, it's like a training camp.

At Vichy, you are here with a physical trainer.
    (He cut) It was his choice to come because he wanted to be sure I'd do my strength training. Because of Ginobili since the last two times (in selection), he was injured. It has nothing to do with the Federation. The Spurs did not even sent me an assistant, but the main guy (the head of physical preparation of the Spurs, Mike Brungardt). After, he helped Alexis (Ajinca), Joakim Noah, Joseph (Gomis), those who wanted to do a little muscle. It was not an obligation. "

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was his choice to come because he wanted to be sure I'd do my strength training. Because of Ginobili since the last two times (in selection), he was injured

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was his choice to come because he wanted to be sure I'd do my strength training. Because of Ginobili since the last two times (in selection), he was injured

He just got injured ONCE with the NT... in Beijing... re-aggravating an injury he had against PHX on the second game of the 2008 playoffs...

Ford is the Best in Texas scottspurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope Tony Parker stays healthy. The French basketball team has really gotten better over the years. I also hope De Colo plays well and shows some promise. Hopefully Nando can be a big part of the Spurs in the post-Duncan era.

one question- Can these games be seen online?

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FRA – Parker: ‘I have to be honest, I love playing for France’

Tony Parker is as eager as ever to put on the blue shirt and represent France.

The San Antonio Spurs point guard will next month attempt to lead his team into the EuroBasket via the Additional Qualifying Round and if they make it to Poland, the French can then go after a place at the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

"It was strange for me to be on holidays for so long,” Parker said of his break after San Antonio’s early play-off exit.

“But it was good for my body after six demanding years …

"I am really motivated to achieve success with Les Bleus.”

For France to reach the EuroBasket, they must finish top of Group B in the Additional Qualifying Round ahead of Italy and Finland and then beat the winners of Group A (Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina or Portugal) in a home-and-away tie.

"We have to be positive, motivated and need all the players love to play together,” Parker said.

“I have to be honest, I love playing for France. If we are able to quality for the EuroBasket, we will be in a good position to do well at the tournament.

"It's going to be a great challenge for my generation. The time has come to either succeed or fail. We have three or four years left and the next three years will be crucial.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FRA – Parker: ‘I have to be honest, I love playing for France’

Tony Parker is as eager as ever to put on the blue shirt and represent France.

The San Antonio Spurs point guard will next month attempt to lead his team into the EuroBasket via the Additional Qualifying Round and if they make it to Poland, the French can then go after a place at the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

"It was strange for me to be on holidays for so long,” Parker said of his break after San Antonio’s early play-off exit.

“But it was good for my body after six demanding years …

"I am really motivated to achieve success with Les Bleus.”

For France to reach the EuroBasket, they must finish top of Group B in the Additional Qualifying Round ahead of Italy and Finland and then beat the winners of Group A (Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina or Portugal) in a home-and-away tie.

"We have to be positive, motivated and need all the players love to play together,” Parker said.

“I have to be honest, I love playing for France. If we are able to quality for the EuroBasket, we will be in a good position to do well at the tournament.

"It's going to be a great challenge for my generation. The time has come to either succeed or fail. We have three or four years left and the next three years will be crucial.”
    As always, thanks D228 for the find !

Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Don't see a team doing great with Tony Longoria being the No.1 guy, that's why the Spurs should never give him the crown even after Duncan retires, unless the Spurs turn into rebuilding mode someday and Spurstalk switched its name to Mavstalk as a result.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't see a team doing great with Tony Longoria being the No.1 guy, that's why the Spurs should never give him the crown even after Duncan retires, unless the Spurs turn into rebuilding mode someday and Spurstalk switched its name to Mavstalk as a result.
    of a segue there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He just got injured ONCE with the NT... in Beijing... re-aggravating an injury he had against PHX on the second game of the 2008 playoffs...
    i can remember manu limping his way onto the tean as a rookie with a bad ankle. didnt he hurt it at the world championships in 2002?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Noah won't stay, and Ajinca should be the last guy cut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i can remember manu limping his way onto the tean as a rookie with a bad ankle. didnt he hurt it at the world championships in 2002?
    I knew someone would bring that up... He had never played with the Spurs back then...

Thread Information