Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=301030018

NEW YORK -- The elaborate pregame festivities were designed to emphasize that these are the "new" New York Knicks.

Crunch time was the same ol' story.

The unbeaten Portland Trail Blazers spoiled the Knicks' home opener, erasing a nine-point deficit in the final 5 1/2 minutes for a 100-95 victory Saturday night.

"We felt the pressure was still on them, this is their home opener," guard Brandon Roy said. "We just wanted to keep consistent with our pressure and with our effort, and down the stretch we felt we forced them into some tough shots and we were able to get a win."

Roy scored 29 points and LaMarcus Aldridge added 20 points and 10 rebounds. Andre Miller had 19 points and 10 assists as the Trail Blazers improved to 3-0.

Aldridge hit the tiebreaking free throw with 25.5 seconds left, and both he and Miller made two apiece in the final half-minute as the Blazers weren't fazed by a close game after two double-digit victories to open the season.

"You don't want to have to continue to do that, but these guys are not dropping their heads," Portland coach Nate McMillan said. "They're playing a 48-minute game."

Wilson Chandler finished with 22 points and 16 rebounds for the Knicks, who made only one field goal after taking a 92-83 lead with 5:31 remaining. Amare Stoudemire scored 18 points but turned it over six times in his home debut.

Raymond Felton, also making his Madison Square Garden debut with the Knicks, scored 16 points.

It was encouraging home start for the Knicks -- until crunch time, when none of their new additions could find the basket.

"We just didn't score. We were up nine. They made some nice shots. Things didn't go well for us," Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni said.

New York's lead was gone after Portland rallied to grab a 95-94 advantage on Miller's 3-pointer with 2:08 to play. Felton's foul shot tied it with 1:23 remaining, and it stayed that way until Aldridge was fouled on an offensive rebound and made one free throw for a 96-95 lead with 25.5 seconds left.

Marcus Camby blocked Felton's drive, Aldridge made another free throw, and the Knicks lost a chance to tie when a ball that was originally called out of bounds on Portland with 6.5 seconds left was overturned when instant replay showed it was off Stoudemire. Miller then made two free throws to put it away.

"We're still getting used to each other, still trying to get that chemistry, but things didn't go our way," Felton said. "I think we made some good plays, some good calls. It's a tough loss, especially when you get a six-, seven-point lead going with 2 1/2 minutes left in the game. It's tough to lose a game like that."

It was an all-too familiar finish for a team trying to move away from its awful recent past.

The Knicks have 10 new players on the roster as they try to return to the postseason for the first time since 2004. New York shares the league's longest current playoff drought with Minnesota and is mired in a franchise-worst stretch of nine straight losing seasons.

Boxing ring announcer Michael Buffer introduced the Knicks before the game, saying it was time to "turn the page to a new chapter of the New York Knicks."

The first quarter was nothing new at all.

The Knicks surrendered 58 percent shooting, hit only 36 percent themselves, and trailed by as many as 10 points. The lead was still 10 midway though the second before reserve Chandler led a 16-3 run that gave New York a 42-39 lead on Felton's 3-pointer with 1:54 remaining.

Chandler had 15 points and 12 rebounds in 17 minutes in the first half, which ended in a 44-all tie.

Game notes
    The Knicks fell to 33-32 in home openers. ... Portland is 2-0 on a four-game trip that concludes with games Monday at Chicago and Tuesday at Milwaukee. ... A Blazers spokesman confirmed the team won't offer former No. 1 pick Greg Oden an extension on his rookie contract. The oft-injured center is still recovering from a fractured left patella last December that ended his season early.

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    You guys have a really good team. Thanks for the Bayless. He's allowing CP3 ample rest just to get him ready to pile drive the Blazers when they meet.

Let's hug it out bitch! Ari Gold's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Hornets 3-0, Blazers 3-0

Who would have thunk it

GRANT HILL!
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    blazers had a gift from the refs when it was tie game with 1 min left, they called a foul on a loose ball , blazers get 2 FTs that ended up being the game.

even the Blazers announcer mike rice thinks that shouldnt have been a foul.

Banned
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Beat the Suns, Clippers and Knicks?????
    Lets not start sucking their s yet k?

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Hornets deserve some props though. yea its early, but they beat the Deer, Thuggets, and Mexicans.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Hornets deserve some props though. yea its early, but they beat the Deer, Thuggets, and Mexicans.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm pleased as punch for ya, t.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    I'm pleased as punch for ya, t.
    It was a matter of time Cubby. It's always been a matter of time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    still first round fodder

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    You guys have Roy, the best shooting guard in the league. Naturally Blazers win.

Kobe is an old rapist; DHistle depends on the refs to bail him out.

Seeing how my Rockets are on pace for 0-82, might as well root for my second favorite player in the NBA. So save me half a seat on the Blazers bandwagon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hornets 3-0, Blazers 3-0

Who would have thunk it
    unbeleivable, lets end the season now based on the first 3 regular season games eh

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    " Appear unstoppable."

"
    erasing a nine-point deficit in the final 5 1/2 minutes for a 100-95 victory Saturday night."

"blazers had a gift from the refs when it was tie game with 1 min left, they called a foul on a loose ball , blazers get 2 FTs that ended up being the game."

homer?

Rooster-Lollypops TheManFromAcme's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    They'll have a good season tlong but your reaching really deep if you think they're taking the whole enchilada.

NB:lol Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_ Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fa kers_ 21_Blessings's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Honestly, no team was a better Laker playoff (outside of the Spurs of course) than the Blazers.

I welcome Portland's return to their proper place in life.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Honestly, no team was a better Laker playoff (outside of the Spurs of course) than the Blazers.

You don't want any of this. Admit it.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You don't want any of this. Admit it.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Honestly, no team was a better Laker playoff (outside of the Spurs of course)
    Oh, man, 21 tellin' it. Spurs had the greatest ass to pork of all of 'em. Just primo.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Oh, man, 21 tellin' it. Spurs had the greatest ass to pork of all of 'em. Just primo.
    vintage Cully

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Meh, you guys padded the margin during the no-salary cap era. Records stands 4-3 in your favor after that.

Too bad the two teams didn't meet up a couple of more times in the mid-90s, after Magic had to retire because he was sodomized by the wrong man and "the Thief" was your point guard.

Or maybe during the mid-2000s. Shame Kobe had to get skull ed by Nash. Would've been a fun match up.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Mid, just givin' a in after gettin' a in'.

NB:lol Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_ Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fa kers_ 21_Blessings's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The Spurs got the tip of their wet, sure.

But after the 2001 missionary anal -- that San Antonion ass parted like the Red Sea and was never the same again.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    True, the Spurs always had those peanut butter cheeks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs got the tip of their wet, sure.

But after the 2001 missionary anal -- that San Antonion ass parted like the Red Sea and was never the same again.
    '03 disagrees. The forced entry by San Antonio made Kobe question his sexuality to the point where he had to prove his manhood to himself by taking Katie Faber's vagina hostage.

And the dude still didn't bust a nut

Makes you wonder. If you know what I mean.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Peaking too early...

Thread Information