Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 5300
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    muh sweden is held up as the model for re-opening by the virus twoofers.

But if you look at what the swedes are doing it is a version of sheltering that is much more restricted than what the virus twoofers are pushing, i.e. business as normal. They have social distancing, but event though stuff is open... people are staying at home.
    South Dakota in the USA south Korea

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you seen anything that says the lung damage is long term? Everything I've read says it heals in a manner of time: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...s-to-the-lungs
    All I have seen definitively is CAN cause long term damage.
    ie we dont know, which is not surprising.

edit: already basically answered

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would you consider a sustainable strategy for infecting 70% of the nation quickly enough so the virus can burn out (since immunity looks to be short lived after infection, say ~1year) but not so quickly that you overwhelm the hospitals and lead to a lot of preventable deaths? Indoor dining rooms + bars + gyms look to be ing the infection rate enough to where San Antonio is very worried about overwhelming the hospitals. But you eliminate those and have people wear masks and I wonder if infection rate slows to a crawl like during April and May and then you never get herd immunity like how we ended the Spanish flu pandemic. Kind of seems like you're ed either way unless you go the slow route and know you'll have an effective and safe vaccine to artificially get to that 70% herd immunity rate.
    I believe that the riot/protests were the best thing to happen with covid. There are certainly cases out there that have spread due to that among the group that has a higher chance winning the lottery than being a fatality.

Have to spread now due to us winter and majority will be indoors. Lockdown extended this

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coincides best with "opening up".
    But the choices we had by that time were poor to bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same here RG. I have a son and a wife with asthma.
    Eyup. The teenager seems to be outgrowing it, but still. Good to hear it isn't a risk factor. Makes me a lot less worried.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eyup. The teenager seems to be outgrowing it, but still. Good to hear it isn't a risk factor. Makes me a lot less worried.
    That or the ifr of under 20?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are sustainable strategies. Media hype using raw data out of context pushed by ChumpDumper
    thldren lies

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would you consider a sustainable strategy for infecting 70% of the nation quickly enough so the virus can burn out (since immunity looks to be short lived after infection, say ~1year) but not so quickly that you overwhelm the hospitals and lead to a lot of preventable deaths? Indoor dining rooms + bars + gyms look to be ing the infection rate enough to where San Antonio is very worried about overwhelming the hospitals. But you eliminate those and have people wear masks and I wonder if infection rate slows to a crawl like during April and May and then you never get herd immunity like how we ended the Spanish flu pandemic. Kind of seems like you're ed either way unless you go the slow route and know you'll have an effective and safe vaccine to artificially get to that 70% herd immunity rate.
    Well I think anything that has the goal of infecting anyone much less 70% is a bad strategy, the so called herd immunity strategy. I also think it is just as bad to have a universal lock down which we did for way too long.

Starting off the American people seemed to be very much all onboard for a period of time and then in April Fauci moved the goalpost to "no new cases, no deaths" followed by politicians trying to lock down harder to the point where it made no sense and was really destroying a lot of people economically. Now we're at the point where people seem to have said it this is bull . So I don't claim to know the perfect sustainable strategy but it doesn't matter what the strategy is if people aren't onboard or can't possibly stay onboard.

I think the way it's going to work out is we'll just go through localized es and shutdowns. Some places will do better than others and at the end of it we will say would've,could've, should've.

What I'm almost 100% sure of is SA is about to get ed. My wife had 8 covid calls today from pts, diagnosed over the weekend or a family member diagnosed. That's more than she's had the whole time. About the same for all of her colleagues so they had a meeting today to start planning how they are going to operate short staffed, anticipating it's only a matter of time now that they will lose staff for weeks due to qt.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I think anything that has the goal of infecting anyone much less 70% is a bad strategy, the so called herd immunity strategy. I also think it is just as bad to have a universal lock down which we did for way too long.

Starting off the American people seemed to be very much all onboard for a period of time and then in April Fauci moved the goalpost to "no new cases, no deaths" followed by politicians trying to lock down harder to the point where it made no sense and was really destroying a lot of people economically. Now we're at the point where people seem to have said it this is bull . So I don't claim to know the perfect sustainable strategy but it doesn't matter what the strategy is if people aren't onboard or can't possibly stay onboard.

I think the way it's going to work out is we'll just go through localized es and shutdowns. Some places will do better than others and at the end of it we will say would've,could've, should've.

What I'm almost 100% sure of is SA is about to get ed. My wife had 8 covid calls today from pts, diagnosed over the weekend or a family member diagnosed. That's more than she's had the whole time. About the same for all of her colleagues so they had a meeting today to start planning how they are going to operate short staffed, anticipating it's only a matter of time now that they will lose staff for weeks due to qt.
    Problem is that e in New York may have only been slowed enough to save the hospitals by the strict lockdowns there though. We haven't really seen an explosion like that without a lockdown during. I guess San Antonio, Phoenix, Orlando, Tampa, Houston, Austin are all going to be a control groups. Don't think the governors of any of those states will allow lockdowns no matter how bad things get. Gotta wonder if there is even a right path when it seems the virus mostly infects through indoors close contact so either don't shut the bars, gyms, dining rooms down and overwhelm the hospitals leading to preventable deaths from lack of resources or do shut them down and economically devastate a lot of people and maybe not infect enough either to make progress to ending the pandemic.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem is that e in New York may have only been slowed by the strict lockdowns there though. We haven't really seen an explosion like that without a lockdown after. I guess San Antonio, Phoenix, Orlando, Tampa, Houston, Austin are all going to be a control groups. Don't think the governors of any of those states will allow lockdowns no matter how bad things get. Gotta wonder if there is even a right path when it seems the virus mostly infects through indoors close contact so either don't shut the bars, gyms, dining rooms down and overwhelm the hospitals leading to preventable deaths from lack of resources or do shut them down and economically devastate a lot of people and maybe not infect enough either to make progress to ending the pandemic.
    South dakota. Sweden. South korea

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thldren just spouting out place names now

Being wrong all this time broke him.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    South dakota. Sweden. South korea
    South Korea is the complete opposite approach we have done with extremely active suppression.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this is spreading by "kids" in their early 20's, hanging out together indoors without social distancing or masks. They feel invulnerable, which they practically are, but they don't understand that they'll pass it to parents, grandparents, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this is spreading by "kids" in their early 20's, hanging out together indoors without social distancing or masks. They feel invulnerable, which they practically are, but they don't understand that they'll pass it to parents, grandparents, etc.

Some anecdotes. I have a 20 y.o. daughter. She has a 20 something friend and a 20 something boyfriend. She has friend sleep over. They drive around together. They don't social distance or wear masks. During this pandemic, my daughter also gets a job in the restaurant industry. Obviously, I'm not thrilled about any of this. Hopefully, my daughter doesn't inadvertently kill me or my wife. I'd hate for her to live with that.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My anecdote is when I go out, it's not the young people who aren't wearing masks.

It's people like this

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But there's plenty of stubborn stupidity at all ages.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem is that e in New York may have only been slowed enough to save the hospitals by the strict lockdowns there though. We haven't really seen an explosion like that without a lockdown during. I guess San Antonio, Phoenix, Orlando, Tampa, Houston, Austin are all going to be a control groups. Don't think the governors of any of those states will allow lockdowns no matter how bad things get. Gotta wonder if there is even a right path when it seems the virus mostly infects through indoors close contact so either don't shut the bars, gyms, dining rooms down and overwhelm the hospitals leading to preventable deaths from lack of resources or do shut them down and economically devastate a lot of people and maybe not infect enough either to make progress to ending the pandemic.
    I don't think we'll get a New York level e. Weather is on our side. Just need people to not be stupid.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    South Korea is the complete opposite approach we have done with extremely active suppression.
    no, this is false. At the beginning they were criticized for too little.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, this is false. At the beginning they were criticized for too little.
    Criticized by whom?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Criticized by whom?
    The media

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, like one op-ed?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, like one op-ed?
    No. But continue. You know all about it.

More generalizations and lies from ChumpDumper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great. Link all those critical media stories.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The way the NYC curve looks, it appears that covid just burned through that city. Sure, they locked down, only to have vast majorities infected indoors. Putting covid patients in nursing homes surely didn't help. This thing only burns out when it runs out of fuel, just like a brush fire.

We have es in the southern states now, because we locked down early and opened early. Even our current " es" are a mere blip compared to what happened in the northeast.

Thread Information