Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m getting the sense that KBD is the starting four next to Keldon on opening night. He’s much improved. It’s like a version of Kawhi before he blew up. Long arms, instincts on defense, shoots 3s.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m getting the sense that KBD is the starting four next to Keldon on opening night. He’s much improved. It’s like a version of Kawhi before he blew up. Long arms, instincts on defense, shoots 3s.
    I agree, if he can be a decent shooter he totally deserves a roster spot.

I'm not concerned about the rookies, they all shows some good things. Give them time and playing time and they will be good imo.

The biggest concern for me is the play of our "vets" : Vassell particularly, i still have big doubts about him and Primo being really good players ( better than just starters).

Poetl looked bad also....

We'll see but i hope some players will develop well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBD could very well be our Danny Green part II, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta remember how young some of these dudes are. I like what I see from Sochan and can see him turning into a really good pro down the line. Not superstar potential but not sure anyone ever said that.
    Nope. People have seen enough with these two preseason games.

Blow the team up and start over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our #9 pick, Sochan, failed to take some open shots and got three out of 6 attempted shots blocked. A couple were bunnies when he got in close to the basket and one on a perimeter attempt that looked really bad. He's no K Bates-Diop fer sure. I;d say his defense was average. When you're a #9 pick and the main thing people talk about is what color you dyed your hair for this game, then you might not be what we are looking for or hoped to get. I remain to be convinced that we made the right choice over Tari Eason who continues to shine in Houston after a great Summer League. Perhaps "wild and erratic"" combined with physical talent simply means playing with a lot of energy and making good things happen. Oh well, we will have lots of time to think about that in the future, eh?

Surprise player of the night. Dieng made some veteran plays/passes and seemed to be directing the defense in his short stint--but it is scary to think he might be a keeper for this team.

I think we will be making excuses for Vassel this season simply because we want someone to become a seriously productive player on this team. It doesn't matter that this is preseason for him. It was for everyone and he just looked below par on his shooting. YOu have to believe he was working on his shot all summer and we get 1-6 on 3s?

Wesley keeps using his speed to get himself in trouble faster than other players can, but at least he is picking up some fouls. It is going to be hard to develop a floater (rumored) at warp speed. Good luck with that.

Collins looked ok. Had some nice footwork on a couple of shots and didn't suck on defense. Outplayed Poertle IMHO> but that wasn't hard on a night where Poertle didn't bring it at all.

Has anyone EVER seen Langford do anything at all that looks like he should be on an NBA team? Anything? Anyone? Any Thing?

If Pop truly will use the compe ion between players to determine the lineups, the next game should be interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our #9 pick, Sochan, failed to take some open shots and got three out of 6 attempted shots blocked. A couple were bunnies when he got in close to the basket and one on a perimeter attempt that looked really bad. He's no K Bates-Diop fer sure. I;d say his defense was average. When you're a #9 pick and the main thing people talk about is what color you dyed your hair for this game, then you might not be what we are looking for or hoped to get. I remain to be convinced that we made the right choice over Tari Eason who continues to shine in Houston after a great Summer League. Perhaps "wild and erratic"" combined with physical talent simply means playing with a lot of energy and making good things happen. Oh well, we will have lots of time to think about that in the future, eh?.
    How can you watch the NBA for 20 years and draw conclusions about the draft from 2 preseason games?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw Blake Wesley take a moving screen from Bamba and also take the charge from Bol. Both resulted in the Spurs getting the ball back. Loved Wes getting to the line often too. That's gonna come in handy when SA needs to slow the game down, get Blake established, and get some opposing players in early foul trouble.

Also LOVED that assist from Blake where he finds Sochan in the corner for three. There was a bit of a penetration collapse and then Blake had the slick vision to spot and fling that pass out across to the open corner guy. Heady stuff early on from Blake Wesley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBD could very well be our Danny Green part II, tbh
    a danny green type has no business on a tanking/rebuilding team tbh

id be very disappointed if kbd plays big minutes this year. this is the year to give heavy minutes to keldon (to try to develop is a more primary option... im skeptical he has that in him), vassell, branham, roby, let them the bed, and learn from it all while we start stacking L's

does KBD really have a long term future here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does KBD have less of a future than Roby? Also, KBD is nowhere near LDN. If he were though, you certainly don't cut him to tank. You boost his value and then trade him. We're talking about a two-person draft. There's no difference between being the worst and fourth-worst team in that regard. If you have valuable players you play them. KBD isn't going to be goo enough to really win games for the team. Hand-wringing over a guy playing well is ridiculous.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does KBD have less of a future than Roby? Also, KBD is nowhere near LDN. If he were though, you certainly don't cut him to tank. You boost his value and then trade him. We're talking about a two-person draft. There's no difference between being the worst and fourth-worst team in that regard. If you have valuable players you play them. KBD isn't going to be goo enough to really win games for the team. Hand-wringing over a guy playing well is ridiculous.
    I may be wrong but I think he's just saying KBD is to good to play here this year and will cost us losses..... he's wrong but still...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uhh of course KBD is nowhere near the accomplished 3-time champ Danny Green. But Danny Green was at one point almost out of the league and even in his first few years where he became good, it wasn’t like he was at his peak yet. Saying KBD could become that isn’t blasphemy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBD and Roby are both fringe players, neither belong in an NBA rotation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I may be wrong but I think he's just saying KBD is to good to play here this year and will cost us losses..... he's wrong but still...
    I take it more that SR21 is saying the Spurs should avoid playing KBD because he can't be part of a rebuilding team/future solution. My issue is that he lists Roby as someone who could be part of the solution even though they actually play pretty similar roles. In fact, if the point is to try to lose, then I would say Roby has a better chance of breaking out than KBD, though I think there's room to give them all run.

Uhh of course KBD is nowhere near the accomplished 3-time champ Danny Green. But Danny Green was at one point almost out of the league and even in his first few years where he became good, it wasn’t like he was at his peak yet. Saying KBD could become that isn’t blasphemy.
    Danny's peak years were arguably 2012, 2015 and 2016. Those are his third, sixth and seventh seasons. Keita is entering year five. I'd argue he's pretty comfortably that he's behind Green's curve. Moreover, though, I think using Green as a measuring stick implies that having his career arc is a more realistic goal than a player developing into a star, and I don't agree. I think stars and role-players tend to be forged rather than molded. Certainly there are other role-players in the league who weren't obvious players like Bowen, Tucker and Covington. But highlighting those examples overlooks the sheer amount of detritus that teams sift through. While the chances that a team can find a Danny Green aren't impossible or anything, the odds that a random scrub is the next Danny Green is actually pretty low. Three-and-D wings are actually pretty highly drafted nowadays. Guys who fill those roles around the league are as likely to be lotto picks as they are to be drafted after the first.

I am one of the bigger KBD fans on this forum. I do think there's a role for him in the league, especially if he can get his shot down. But he's more of a helpful defender who contributes to his team's rebounding than he is a lock-down defender and ball-hawk. I hope the Spurs hold onto him and that he justifies them doing so. But even an actualized KBD would be a starkly different defender than LDN. I would put him much closer to a more agile Kyle Anderson on that end.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBD could develop into Dorian Finney Smith. There are other players in the NBA beside Danny Green and Bryn Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe if people would jsut remember that pre-season is nothing more than practice sessions then perhaps they would not freak out so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBD pribably doesn’t become a Danny Green type player but if he was going to it’ll be because he is on a winning team surrounded by top NBA players and he fills a role.

While the Spurs have a very impressive track record in player development some of that development still needs to be attributed to Timmy, Tony, Manu, David Robinson etc. Playing with that level of talent (and character) gave other guys opportunities to carve out important niches.

These things don’t work in a silo. There are synergies to be realized by having great players, great coaches, great medical staff in the franchise etc where it’s easier to assimilate, develop grow guys be because your have a few pillars in place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if KBD can achieve Danny Green type success, the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Much better use of resources to allocate that playing time to develop Sochan and others.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBD is probably more Danny Green than Trey Lyles. At the risk of flip flopping i’m warming up to the idea he has more ptoential to someone like Eubanks or Forbes who were still able to stick around linger than most expected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if KBD can achieve Danny Green type success, the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Much better use of resources to allocate that playing time to develop Sochan and others.
    LDN was way better than any of the Spurs' prospects can expect to be. Dude is in the top 8-15 players in team history. Most lotto picks don't reach that height. If KBD can be him, you don't piss that away to be impatient about a guy who might be the next Lamar Odom or MWP (either of whom would be a really nice plateau for Sochan). Even if Sochan does have that pathway, it wouldn't be ruined by not forcing everyone else aside for him as a rookie. Dude can't even get a shot off right. In this scenario where KBD explodes with the Spurs this year, you 1000-percent play him, feature him then trade him. It would be ridiculous to do anything else. There's a difference between hoping for the best with prospects and fetishizing them to the point of ascribing a level of importance to them they haven't earned.

It's also a note that Green had to play his way onto the team and beat out multiple players the Spurs had more invested in. When guys show themselves to be a cut above, you don't just piss that away. Robert Covington is the obvious example, but Dorian Finny Smith was mentioned earlier too, and when the Mavs found him, they were in the midst of their two worst seasons in a while. When they found Maxi Klebar, they were in their worst season. Sure, if they draft Wemby or Hendy, they might be the main driver of the team's turnaround. But as far the as the other pieces go, history suggests that it'd be a combination of vets already on the team, new additions and random guys who step up to the moment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBD's career 3P% at almost 27 is about the same that Sochan achieved at 19, but somehow he makes 4/5 3s in one preseason game and he's on the path to greatness while (Sochan) "can't even get a shot off right"? And then you argue "difference between hoping for the best with prospects and fetishizing them to the point of ascribing a level of importance to them they haven't earned"? Oh the irony...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBD's career 3P% at almost 27 is about the same that Sochan achieved at 19, but somehow he makes 4/5 3s in one preseason game and he's on the path to greatness while (Sochan) "can't even get a shot off right"? And then you argue "difference between hoping for the best with prospects and fetishizing them to the point of ascribing a level of importance to them they haven't earned"? Oh the irony...
    Somehow, the Spurs always know better than every other team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBD is probably more Danny Green than Trey Lyles. At the risk of flip flopping i’m warming up to the idea he has more ptoential to someone like Eubanks or Forbes who were still able to stick around linger than most expected.
    KBD isn't great at anything but he does work hard and does what pop asks of him. He's limited talent wise but every so often he surprises us with a decent game. Not bad for a minimum salary player. Green did the same and got lots better at doing it to the point of becoming a valuable asset.

Forbes and Eubanks have basically one skill and make the most of it. Lyles has been on how many teams now ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't need another poster who constantly takes people out of context and responds dishonestly.

1) "Getting a shot off" and shooting a good percentage are completely different things. Sochan is likely struggling to get the ball out of his hands without it getting blocked right now. That's okay. It's not a sign he sucks or is irredeemable or anything like that. But it is a sign that his developmental curve wouldn't be negatively impacted by taking a role off the bench or in Austin for the time being. He's not just a KBD away from getting big minutes. Branham and Dieng are also guys who could use minutes without even considering Barlow and Hall or shifting everyone over to give Wesley a chance. The only folks he's hurting by not playing big minutes right away are fans like you who are deferring their entertainment this year in hopes of getting more in future years.

2) Mofo, you set up a hypothetical where KBD would be Danny Green, saying that even if that were the case it wouldn't be worth giving him the nod over Sochan and other young guys. It's that response to the hypothetical that is ridiculous. Bates-Diop isn't Danny Green, and he's extremely unlikely to ever reach those heights. I've already said that. But it's also true that Sochan isn't likely to reach that level either. So if you're going to create a scenario where KBD does that, the "juice is worth the squeeze" because that version of KBD would be very good and very valuable. It would be worth it to en ber Sochan's entire rookie contract for that, but KBD's only signed for one year, so that's not even necessary. Having a guy who's far away from needing a big role to take a back seat for a year while the Spurs experience such a boon from a guy on a minimum contract isn't even a decision. We don't live in that scenario, with KBD, Jones or any of the other vets on the team. But too many people seem to think such a scenario is bad, and that's completely missing the trees for the forest.

3) That last quote isn't even a sentence. Yes, I argue that we should want the best players on the team to play and play well rather than worrying about giving the young guys the bulk of the minutes. This is me who's arguing that -- the guy who was extremely skeptical of the d-league last year. It's one thing when you have a blue-chip on a superstar track. It's another thing when it's just the guys who happen to be the youngest players on the team. The Hinkie Sixers pissed away how many high picks on guys who sat behind or were traded away to make room for second-rounders or UDFAs? I want to be clear that I hated that team for that era. I'm glad Hinkie's out of the league. But so many fans on this board want the Spurs to adopt his philosophy, but they want to discard that Hinkie was never married to any of his picks (ever -- look at MCW -- but especially) before they earned it. He would certainly be looking to trade away the vets, but he would also not look at any of the rookies and bypass showcasing vets to give them playing time. It's bad asset-management on top of being bad roster-management. I hope that all of the Spurs' prospects pan out and end up being the foundation to the team's next contending era. But it's not a certainly that ANY of these guys will be around for that pivot, and there's no reason to assume that if someone is, it'll be one of the rookies. That's just fetishism.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Generalities that shouldn't apply to a team this bad. It's not a catastrophe that Sochan seems likely to start the season seeing at best spot minutes, it's that it's another sign of archaic ways continuing to rule the day despite finally bottoming out.

This would apply if we were talking year 3 Sochan, who's underwhelmed and the shine of being the highest pick in a quarter century has long since worse off. But we're talking year 1, on probably the worst team in the league, with two journeymen as the compe ion.

Hand him 20 mpg immediately and if he struggles mightily for 4-6 weeks, reassess at that point.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone supports tanking until they start losing games. Glad the Spurs are off the Murray/White treadmill. Its going to get worse before it gets better but come June it will hopefully be worth it.

Thread Information