Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic played 26 minutes last night: 24 pts, 10 rb, 4 ast, 2 blks, 3 stls, +44 pt diff and we are signing Stanley Johnson to play PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic played 26 minutes last night: 24 pts, 10 rb, 4 ast, 2 blks, 3 stls, +44 pt diff and we are signing Stanley Johnson to play PF.
    Nobody cares what this loser is doing in the gleague.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has brian wright done anything well at all here?!
    Trading D White was his best move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading Murray was a very good move/haul. Did well in moving DeRozan. White trade was solid value. Not signing too many washed up vets this off season and pivoting to a real rebuild. Getting Keldon extension signed. All good things.

But there has been plenty of bad weather partially or majority attributed to him. So we just have to see how it goes. Luckily, IMO, the mistakes have been of the small nature and not catastrophic. Even Primo situation.

But still LOTS of work to do and he and the Spurs need to care about every little detail. No stone unturned, no big mistakes, and maximize asset management

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s my man Bassey got to do to get that full contract? Sheeeeesh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s my man Bassey got to do to get that full contract? Sheeeeesh.
    My thought is that it’s easier to cycle players in and out on our one full contract spot than a 2 way, and when required to guarantee it for the rest of the year in January, it will go to Bassey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My thought is that it’s easier to cycle players in and out on our one full contract spot than a 2 way, and when required to guarantee it for the rest of the year in January, it will go to Bassey.
    Thanks. I am not familiar with the rules of 2-ways. If we simply sign him for the rest of the season on the 2-way, do we get any exclusive rights on resigning him, or does he simply become a free agent at the end of the year? Likewise if he stays on a 2-way the whole season?

This is probably way too premature and presumptuous of a 2nd year guy on a 2-way with one of the worst teams, but he seems on a really solid developmental track. If he were a late first round draft pick in his rookie year, we’d probably feel pretty good about how he was progressing. He’s certainly well ahead of where Luka was in his 2nd year (though that isn’t particularly telling of anything) and where Primo was in his rookie year (though I understand Bassey is neither a rookie nor 19 years old).

I’d just hate to lose him this offseason, I think he has legit starter potential as a defensive center with more offensive range than say, Jak. I’m not ready to flat out replace Jak with Bassey, but if he keeps developing I think he could be just as good in year 4 or 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll also add, if we do sign him to the rest of the year and he then becomes a true FA, obviously a greater showing of developing in the last months of the season are just going to raise his price. Hopefully it does lead to a situation where he feels like “screw these guys who signed Alize and Stanley Johnson before me”

Best case scenario is he continues on a solid developmental track and feel loyalty to the hometown team who gave him a shot after the Sixers dropped him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll also add, if we do sign him to the rest of the year and he then becomes a true FA, obviously a greater showing of developing in the last months of the season are just going to raise his price. Hopefully it does lead to a situation where he feels like “screw these guys who signed Alize and Stanley Johnson before me”

Best case scenario is he continues on a solid developmental track and feel loyalty to the hometown team who gave him a shot after the Sixers dropped him.
    The Spurs won’t promote him on a rest of the year contract. The standard in a cut and pickup would be 3 years, first guaranteed. The Sam Hinkie deal would be 4 years, first year guaranteed.

When he was cut, he had 20+ teams interested at various levels, and he chose to sign a 2way with the Spurs. I kinda think he wants to be here, in our development program.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs won’t promote him on a rest of the year contract. The standard in a cut and pickup would be 3 years, first guaranteed. The Sam Hinkie deal would be 4 years, first year guaranteed.

When he was cut, he had 20+ teams interested at various levels, and he chose to sign a 2way with the Spurs. I kinda think he wants to be here, in our development program.
    3/4 years with only 1 guaranteed would be a steal IMO… hopefully it comes to be.

While he had 20+ teams interested, it did sound from the reporting (I think maybe even timvp’s) that only the Spurs were offering a 2-way and everyone else was on an exhibit 10? I’d be curious if anyone else offered him a full contract and he still chose the Spurs 2-way because of our development program (which, for all anyone wants to say about Spurs recent drafting, it does appear our development program still appears to be on its game).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst random thoughts thread tbh.... save this for some real news

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Stanley is just around short term to help develop the younger guys. He can play d, they learn how to mix it up. No big deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst random thoughts thread tbh.... save this for some real news
    Scroll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Stanley Johnson a PF? I think he plays Point-Forward and even SG. His aggressiveness last night almost singlehandedly brought the Spurs back, tbh.

I like his defense, his motor. He was able to bully his defender going straight to the basket. I like this pick-up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He reminds me of ron artest, not metta world peace.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Stanley Johnson a PF? I think he plays Point-Forward and even SG. His aggressiveness last night almost singlehandedly brought the Spurs back, tbh.

I like his defense, his motor. He was able to bully his defender going straight to the basket. I like this pick-up.
    Iirc, he was projected to be the next nephew, but he never developed his game. Still a great defender, but everything except for wide open layups is a struggle on offense.
    Some years back I wanted the Spurs to get him, he still had the potential to develop into poor man's 2014 version of nephew, but now it's too late.

Still, I think he can be way more useful than KBD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, in the G-League where he ing belongs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Iirc, he was projected to be the next nephew, but he never developed his game. Still a great defender, but everything except for wide open layups is a struggle on offense.
    Some years back I wanted the Spurs to get him, he still had the potential to develop into poor man's 2014 version of nephew, but now it's too late.

Still, I think he can be way more useful than KBD.
    Let’s give it a dozen games, or so. It’s much more likely this is a mirage than his first 7 seasons were. KBD isn’t an All Star, but he’s a pretty damn good defender, and his long term numbers are better than Johnson’s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought this guy sucked? He's looked like our 4th or 5th best player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean look at our team

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He seems to have improved his shooting, he's always had the physical tools. Honestly if things continue progressing for him I'm not against keeping dude around on the cheap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's way better in the halfcourt than I expected -- he does little screens and movements that can get shooters the ball that aren't written in the playbook. Even if he's not a shooter he has more value than I thought.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him so far. Seems poised. Better than Roby and KBD. Doesn’t help much but I love the defensive potential and seems way more motivated than Romeo. Seems like a Pop player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information