Page 37 of 110 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those players were headed to Philly in the scenario he laid out..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're guards who'd be in Philly. Not getting the issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody watches the NFL except fat Americans
    FIFY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're guards who'd be in Philly. Not getting the issue.
    Who are we getting?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who are we getting?
    Horford and picks. The post was pretty clear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horford and picks. The post was pretty clear.
    For DD and LMA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For DD and LMA?
    It's all in the post. If you had no idea who was being traded and why, why did you react to it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all in the post. If you had no idea who was being traded and why, why did you react to it?
    Because the post is a mess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love the Horford deal in the framing Chinook described. He’s a fine player for rebuild on the fly & get picks? Absolutely

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but most Americans are fat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love the Horford deal in the framing Chinook described. He’s a fine player for rebuild on the fly & get picks? Absolutely
    If you can tell me what that deal is, that would be great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because the post is a mess.
    It's perfectly understandable to everyone else.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, paying Horford isn't the problem. I think the Spurs are okay with giving LMA that money on an extension, for example. Homeboy is overpaid as backup in Philly, but he earned a good contract by being a good player for years. The problem would be if SA lets their willingness to pay Horford lead them into a bad deal with Philly. They absolutely should be getting assets from the Sixers for doing the deal. It doesn't have to be the full for the contract as if Al were dead money. Certainly, they can come down on that if they feel Horford is a multi-year starter for them. But talking about this as a straight-up deal for LMA or with SA adding is way off the reservation. Ignoring that Aldridge is better than Horford, they need to leverage cap space for value before they can worry about building a team.

As I've said before, DMDR to LAC, Lou and Beverly to PHL and Horford to SA with the Spurs getting compensation works provided the Spurs find an Aldridge deal. But if they aren't going to have the mentality of a rebuilding team, they should just stay the course with their best players and reevaluate next off-season.
    Id rather have the cap space and sign people to two year deals with the second year being unguaranteed until we found our stars.

If they really felt the need to do a trade like this I’d rather have Harris. He could play small ball PF if needed to give our younger guards some running time together. Especially if we draft a player at 11 who is a PG, SG, or SF.

This way you can just keep Aldridge. I’ve noticed people around the league are giving straight up trash for Aldridge in trades. I’d rather just keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id rather have the cap space and sign people to two year deals with the second year being unguaranteed until we found our stars.

If they really felt the need to do a trade like this I’d rather have Harris. He could play small ball PF if needed to give our younger guards some running time together. Especially if we draft a player at 11 who is a PG, SG, or SF.

This way you can just keep Aldridge. I’ve noticed people around the league are giving straight up trash for Aldridge in trades. I’d rather just keep him.
    I don't want the team to trade LMA either. But if he wants to go, you let him. But I don't think the Spurs should get in the business of experimental one-and-ones. If they're going to use their cap space to try out vets, let it be by them renting that space for short-term deals in trades. Basically next year (meaning 2021-2022) Horford will be a Gasol-esque semi expiring. I'd rather get paid to take him one than let Aldridge expire and then sign some rando for a similar deal.

Also, I don't agree on Tobias. Harris is a legit awful contract. Horford is overpaid, but he's been very good for a while. Between the two, Al definitely has the better contract. Harris is a legit candidate for worst contract in the league with Wall and Middleton. It would be hard for the Spurs to build anything with that on the books.

To be clear, I don't actually like that Horford deal all that much. I think it'd have to be part of a larger deal where Al gets moved to GS for Wiggins and somehow gets SA up to 2. Then you can keep LMA and avoid having to pay as much long-term salary as you would if you traded LMA there and DMDR for more money.

Like:

SA -> DeRozan, 11
    SA <- Wiggins, 2, 21

GS -> Wiggins, 2
    GS <- Horford, Thybulle, 11, 35

PHL -> Horford, Thybulle, 21, 35
    PHL <- Williams, Beverly, Kabengele

LAC -> Williams, Beverly, Kabengele
    LAC <- DeRozan

To me, that's more of an ideal DMDR trade. SA picks up a pick and gets a shot at a superstar in exchange for one of their best players and having to absorb an awful deal. It's possible other teams wouldn't go for it. LAC I'm not worried about, since they are giving up the bare minimum. If anything, I think they should give up more if they had it. Philly shouldn't have an issue if their goal is to build a more balanced team around their three best players. They have a ton of picks in the middle of the draft, and I don't think Morey is against moving a couple get off the Horford deal. Whether he'd hold out on 21 or not being willing to include Thybulle are the bigger question marks. Without 21, it's less worth it for SA but probably still doable if they can package 35 with 41 to get a late first. But I think Thybulle is key to GS doing their end.

That's why GS is cut out of the iteration of this I proposed earlier. I think it still works with 11, LMA and one of those seconds for 2 and Wiggins -- like I think GS take that and runs. But Horford AND Wiggins is a ton of bad salary to end up with to only have one extra pick. Add in the extra cost to of the higher pick, and it's a huge financial commitment. So keeping SA's take as Horford, 21, improving 41 to 35 and maybe a future pick or swap and then worrying about SA moving LMA or Al somewhere else seems like a pretty conservative stopping point.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way you take on Horford is if Thybulle is included imo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    re: assistant coaches and Duncan

I had thought awhile back that it would be nice if Gentry or D'Antoni would join the bench to hang out with Pop as former co-workers he was comfortable with, but they both took assistant jobs with contenders and probably for a lot more money that the broke Spurs could come up with

So now the question is, who replaces Duncan if/when Duncan decides he's not coming back? I think I know.

Roy Rogers

He was on Boylan's staff in Chicago that all got let go when Donovan took over. He also started his whole coaching career in Austin under Snyder. He's bounced around a lot, but is free for work as far as I've seen. Roy Rogers, next Spurs big man coach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These Horford trade ideas are not appetizing.

At least the rationale in the supposed Wiggins-LMA trades is that he's still an okay player in his prime and you're getting compensated with the #2 pick for that terrible contract.

But the Horford rumors are to get a washed and decaying Horford and not appearing to get anything worthwhile for it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These Horford trade ideas are not appetizing.

At least the rationale in the supposed Wiggins-LMA trades is that he's still an okay player in his prime and you're getting compensated with the #2 pick for that terrible contract.

But the Horford rumors are to get a washed and decaying Horford and not appearing to get anything worthwhile for it.
    Wiggins isn't "okay", Horford isn't "washed" and how is something like the 21st and 34th picks not worthwhile?

Add those to the 11th pick and let's say a lottery protected '21 1st from the Trail Blazers for Aldridge and they'd be in position to make a compelling offer to the Warriors for the 2nd pick.

They need inexpensive depth/youth and still have the Timberwolves '21 top 3 protected 1st to potentially add a more significant long term building block.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wiggins isn't "okay", Horford isn't "washed" and how is something like the 21st and 34th picks not worthwhile?

Add those to the 11th pick and let's say a lottery protected '21 1st from the Trail Blazers for Aldridge and they'd be in position to make a compelling offer to the Warriors for the 2nd pick.

They need inexpensive depth/youth and still have the Timberwolves '21 top 3 protected 1st to potentially add a more significant long term building block.

So if we would use all those picks to get GS are you saying you would rather have Horford the Wiggins?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if we would use all those picks to get GS are you saying you would rather have Horford the Wiggins?
    Absolutely. Still easily better overall, a better fit with the "culture"/youth and cheaper.

If they could do that and the 3 team trade I suggested, they'd have a rotation of . . .

Horford/Gay/Lyles
    Fournier/Johnson
    Wiseman/Horford
    White/Walker
    Murray/Mills

Kabengele, Samanic

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely. Still easily better overall, a better fit with the "culture"/youth and cheaper.

If they could do that and the 3 team trade I suggested, they'd have a rotation of . . .

Horford/Gay/Lyles
    Fournier/Johnson
    Wiseman/Horford
    White/Walker
    Murray/Mills

Kabengele, Samanic
    Where did Fournier come in and I disagree with you I would much rather still have our 11th and have Wiggins plus the ability to trade DDR then to have horford. Difference is only 2 mil and Wiggins if he becomes good fits in with our timeline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    re: assistant coaches and Duncan

I had thought awhile back that it would be nice if Gentry or D'Antoni would join the bench to hang out with Pop as former co-workers he was comfortable with, but they both took assistant jobs with contenders and probably for a lot more money that the broke Spurs could come up with

So now the question is, who replaces Duncan if/when Duncan decides he's not coming back? I think I know.

Roy Rogers

He was on Boylan's staff in Chicago that all got let go when Donovan took over. He also started his whole coaching career in Austin under Snyder. He's bounced around a lot, but is free for work as far as I've seen. Roy Rogers, next Spurs big man coach.
    D’Antoni never worked with Pop. His only Spurs connection was a brief stint as a player before exile to Italy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where did Fournier come in and I disagree with you I would much rather still have our 11th and have Wiggins plus the ability to trade DDR then to have horford. Difference is only 2 mil and Wiggins if he becomes good fits in with our timeline.
    To Clippers: DeRozan
    To Magic: Beverley, Williams
    To Spurs: Fournier, Kabengele

I'm skeptical of Wiseman's upside, but I'd take the potential core building block over a clear two way net negative with an albatross and 11, a likely role player who'd fit better on a good team. Wiggins has been in the league 6 seasons; he is what he is and what he is in the exact type of empty calories type they need to get away from. Horford, even in a diminished state, is the an hesis.

If they were interested in being the Hornets, they wouldn't have traded for DeRozan or retained Aldridge in the first place. If they move away from them, they're still most likely going to want credible older players to keep them pseudo compe ive while helping shepherd the youth along.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My trade also has wiseman in there. it would be LMA for Wiggins and #2 so we would get #2 and #11. thats why I would rather have Wiggins then Horford. Also in your trade are we just sending Picks to GS? Clippers get DDR and Portland gets LMA. Why would GS do that trade of just picks? They want a win now player.

Thread Information