Page 11 of 134 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the modern NBA, paying a center a max contract unless he has some premium skills a la Jokic/ Embiid is just a waste of money. Ayton is a good player, but he is no premium guy to be paid the max. Spurs are better off continuing with Poeltl and utilising the next opportunity to land a FA with cap space and talent intact. Who knows, Durant might want to play for Pop and take on the Warriors to finally set his legacy, maybe in 2023-24.
    There is no next opportunity

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no next opportunity
    Waiting for a better opportunity is better than taking a bad risk.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have to take a risk in San Antonio. The cap space means nothing since this just isn’t an intriguing destination for the majority of star free agents. Spurs basically HAVE to pay big even for players like Ayton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    100%.

You don’t stick your hand in a blender for a 1% chance of grabbing a $100 bill just bc the odds of winning the lottery are low.

If we get Ayton, I’ll obviously root him on, nut spending the max on a C like Ayton is just foolish. The fact that other max FAs may not come here doesn’t change that fact

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the modern NBA, paying a center a max contract unless he has some premium skills a la Jokic/ Embiid is just a waste of money. Ayton is a good player, but he is no premium guy to be paid the max. Spurs are better off continuing with Poeltl and utilising the next opportunity to land a FA with cap space and talent intact. Who knows, Durant might want to play for Pop and take on the Warriors to finally set his legacy, maybe in 2023-24.
    Doubt Durant is goingto want to play with a bunch of young players, none of them star level talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to take calculated risks. Ayton is one of the best centers in the league and is poised to get better in the right system. Add TRob and Duncan's coaching and he could be as good as any center. Waiting for an established superstar is a bad risk. Going after Ayton is a calculated risk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As they say, the best moves/trades are the ones you don't make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don’t stick your hand in a blender for a 1% chance of grabbing a $100 bill just bc the odds of winning the lottery are low.
    That better be a billion dolar blender

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paying Ayton 30-35 million to do marginally better than what Poeltl already offers at 9 million (and which could only potentially increase to probably 20 million at a maximum if he keeps up and stays with the Spurs) isn't calculated risk. Its putting money in the wrong basket. Ayton isn't a first option or even a second option. He is at best a third option in the positionless NBA. Spurs are better off in paying a SF/PF max money or grooming their own star in the medium term.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paying Ayton 30-35 million to do marginally better than what Poeltl already offers at 9 million (and which could only potentially increase to probably 20 million at a maximum if he keeps up and stays with the Spurs) isn't calculated risk. Its putting money in the wrong basket. Ayton isn't a first option or even a second option. He is at best a third option in the positionless NBA. Spurs are better off in paying a SF/PF max money or grooming their own star in the medium term.
    Ayton isn’t marginally better than Jakob, lol. More skilled offensive player and the guy now has deep playoff experience. He did a good job against Giannis in the finals a few years ago as well.

The better question is how far away is he from the max money/caliber centers in the league— Embid, Joker, and Giannis? The gulf is real, and this the hesitation teams have in offering max money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

have you really been here since 09 and just said Durant will want to play here? You should know better

I'm glad there are people here that want the team to improve in free agency and via trade. I'd be cool with just one of OG Anounoby or John Collins tbh. Don't have a problem with Poeltl staying, but they should absolutely try to get Ayton. He's 23 he still got room to get better and he's a #1 pick. That's what team tank here wants, a #1 pick, but hey don't sign one when he becomes available Also he's still a tradeable contract, especially if he improves and his numbers will improve on the Spurs 100%

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If newish rumors are to be believed, as per The Athletic and aggregated in the RealGM news feed, then Atlanta wants cap relief in exchange for Collins.

Spurs are one of the few teams that can do that easy, and some extra future picks to throw in.

That would even allow the Spurs to roll out some jumbo lineups in certain situations with Sochan at SF because he can defend there and Collins can hit threes

But I know it will just end up being Detroit who gets him for like a second round pick swap and Cory Joseph or some cheap bull and they'll be in the playoffs and San Antonio will be treading in the 10th seed waters

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An IMO, best possible case (but actually realistic) for this FA period.

Ayton (4 year max; starting at $32M I think) S&T for Poeltl + Langford + maybe a 2024 FRP (protected 1-4)
    No, I don't see PHX getting more than this, between the teams that have the space to make a max offer, his poison-pill status restricting them to taking 1/2 the salary back, and assorted burned bridges between him and PHX (not max'ing him last offseason, whatever happened in Gm 7).

John Collins ($23.5M + raises, 4 years remaining) Trade for McDermott + J Rich + FRP (when and what protections uncertain ???)
    Yes, it has gotten bad enough between the ATL and Collins that he's out of there, and everyone knows it, so they're not getting a ton. They may look to further move McDermott or J Rich, depending on what they can get...

C: Ayton/Z Collins/ Landale
    PF: J Collins /Sochan / KBD / Barlow (2 way, G League)
    Wings: Vassel/ Keldon/ Primo / Branham/ Weiskamp / Wesley (G-League)
    PG: DJ / Tre

Bring in a cheap 3ed string PG and maybe another wing. (Bring back Lonnie on the cheap, maybe?? Or, much less palatably, recycle Forbes again, trying make another 2nd round pick from him?)
    My sentiments exactly been say this for a while. It makes the teams youth core grow and get better while being way more than compe ive right away. I dare say that team if some things go right can hold its own with a lot of the west of not this year then eventually. But ayton Collins DJ Keldon young as they are already have plenty of experience. That's building something special.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    have you really been here since 09 and just said Durant will want to play here? You should know better

I'm glad there are people here that want the team to improve in free agency and via trade. I'd be cool with just one of OG Anounoby or John Collins tbh. Don't have a problem with Poeltl staying, but they should absolutely try to get Ayton. He's 23 he still got room to get better and he's a #1 pick. That's what team tank here wants, a #1 pick, but hey don't sign one when he becomes available Also he's still a tradeable contract, especially if he improves and his numbers will improve on the Spurs 100%
    Yeah, nobody is saying that Ayton is Jokic, Embiid, Davis, Towns, etc., but despite what various catch all metrics indicate, he's not Poeltl either.

He's much more versatile (vertical spacer, who can post switches, with a passable and improving jumper and switch ability), is only going on 24 and has already proven he's matchup proof in the playoffs.

For an organization that refuses to bottom out and can't attract stars in free agency (Aldridge was for family reasons + the chance to play for a perennial contender), this is a rare opportunity and one that shouldn't be passed up because he wants a % of the cap (25 as opposed to 20ish) which is negligible in roster building.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If newish rumors are to be believed, as per The Athletic and aggregated in the RealGM news feed, then Atlanta wants cap relief in exchange for Collins.

Spurs are one of the few teams that can do that easy, and some extra future picks to throw in.

That would even allow the Spurs to roll out some jumbo lineups in certain situations with Sochan at SF because he can defend there and Collins can hit threes

But I know it will just end up being Detroit who gets him for like a second round pick swap and Cory Joseph or some cheap bull and they'll be in the playoffs and San Antonio will be treading in the 10th seed waters
    Damn how the mighty have fallen. He’d be great in DET, but, like Ayton, I wonder if he’s not on there timeline anymore.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn how the mighty have fallen. He’d be great in DET, but, like Ayton, I wonder if he’s not on there timeline anymore.
    Doug, Josh R, and a heavily protected spurs first would be awesome.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue with this plan is that this is the last season we will have significant capspace available to us for the forseeable future. Assuming we don't dump both Keldon and Poeltl next offseason (ie let them become UFA's by not tendering them their QO's), we aren't going to have significant capspace again until we tear it down. Thus there is no better opportunity to bring in one or more FA's. We waited out last season (when we could have offered a max) on your plan, but we have hit the end of that road.

(Note that we will be able to resign our own players next year, even if we bring in a bunch FA's this year, because of bird rights.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Not like we're going to use our cap space. Might as well make a run at Ayton.

2. Ayton will help sell tickets.

3. We're not tanking anyways. Why not try to marginally improve with Ayton?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have to take a risk in San Antonio. The cap space means nothing since this just isn’t an intriguing destination for the majority of star free agents. Spurs basically HAVE to pay big even for players like Ayton.
    Maxing a player that can't get you where you want to go isn't taking a risk...it's just throwing away the immediate future...nothing more...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton seems like a rinse and repeat of last offseason with the John Collins interest. Will end up signing Kyle Anderson and Kevon Looney tbh lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the Spurs will be interested, but I'd like their chances if they are . . .

Hawks: Young will always be the face of the franchise, is close with Capela and they're supposedly not interested in offering the max.

Pistons: Givony said on the Lowe Post that he's always conceived of himself as a a PF, so having (for now) Stewart and Duren might actually make them more appealing, but there's speculation Bridges is their target.

Spurs: Givony also said he wants to be wooed, so having Duncan, Robinson and possibly Aldridge (offering his perspective as a prominent outsider who signed here) to help recruit can't hurt and most importantly, they can offer a role that'll allow him to put up the counting stats to receive more attention for accolades if the team is playing well.

Raptors: He'd be buried in terms of offensive pecking order behind 3-4 players (and that's with Anunoby presumably being offered) and because of that it's doubtful they'd offer the max.

Maxing a player that can't get you where you want to go isn't taking a risk...it's just throwing away the immediate future...nothing more...
    In this market/situation, this is what cap space is for (of course you'd like to do better, but good luck with that).

This would still be a fluid situation with upward mobility so long as the youth isn't a collective bust.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the Spurs will be interested, but I'd like their chances if they are . . .

Hawks: Young will always be the face of the franchise, is close with Capela and they're supposedly not interested in offering the max.

Pistons: Givony said on the Lowe Post that he's always conceived of himself as a a PF, so having (for now) Stewart and Duren might actually make them more appealing, but there's speculation Bridges is their target.

Spurs: Givony also said he wants to be wooed, so having Duncan, Robinson and possibly Aldridge (offering his perspective as a prominent outsider who signed here) to help recruit can't hurt and most importantly, they can offer a role that'll allow him to put up the counting stats to receive more attention for accolades if the team is playing well.

Raptors: He'd be buried in terms of offensive pecking order behind 3-4 players (and that's with Anunoby presumably being offered) and because of that it's doubtful they'd offer the max.

In this market/situation, this is what cap space is for (of course you'd like to do better, but good luck with that).

This would still be a fluid situation with upward mobility so long as the youth isn't a collective bust.
    It depends on how you define better. I think maxing Ayton makes us a perennial 7-10 seed.... I think there are several paths that are 'better' that are attainable ..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends on how you define better. I think maxing Ayton makes us a perennial 7-10 seed.... I think there are several paths that are 'better' that are attainable ..
    Just depends on how the youth would develop, but it's not like they'd be unable to pivot.

There's one and they refuse to take it so it's either this or hoping to draft a player as good or preferably better, which is not easy to do picking in the late lottery perennilly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm warming up to the idea of Ayton-- not because I love him as a fit or as a major piece, though I think he's overall a solid net positive and surprisingly still only 23-- but because he can be an asset in a trade further on down the road if he doesn't work out. If a true #1 option/star becomes available in the next two or three years, a trade package of something like Ayton + KJ + FRP would be a pretty alluring offer to most teams. I'd say at this point to offer Ayton the max but not agree to a sign a trade involving Poeltl. Part of the advantage of signing Ayton would to then trade Poeltl available to upgrade in other areas.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just depends on how the youth would develop, but it's not like they'd be unable to pivot.

There's one and they refuse to take it so it's either this or hoping to draft a player as good or preferably better, which is not easy to do picking in the late lottery perennilly.
    I agree with that...and if we are going to treadmill in the late lottery then maxing Ayton probably doesn't help or hurt that cause... if we want to really increase our chances at drafting that 'better' player then we have to trade away a few guys for more lottery balls in 23 when the top of the draft is incredibly deep. I think that's better than maxing ayton and hoping that one of our late lottery picks strikes gold.

Thread Information