Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s better than half the guys up in the rafters, so think it’s pretty clearly a yes.

Now if you include any player to have worn a Spurs jersey (T-Mac, Moses and Dominique) and look at their entire career, that’s a different question.

The Rockets will retire Harden and the Thunder will retire Durant. Neither won a finals MVP with that team. That tells you all you need to know about whether Kawhi deserves his jersey retired. Now will he show up?

Aldridge is borderline but as mentioned above some of the Spurs retired jerseys are less than elite.
    The Orlando Magic have never retired Shaq's Jersey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of fans may hate to admit it but Kawhi has a better case for having his jersey retired than LMA does.
    If Avery Johnson is the bar, it’s fair to debate #8 going in the rafters

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe this should be a separate thread, but isn't LMA a top 10 player to wear a Spurs uniform?
    Tim Duncan
    David Robinson
    Mani Ginobilli
    Tony Parker
    HoeAss Leonard
    Bruce Bowen
    George Gervin
    Sean Elliott
    Avery Johnson
    James Silas

even guys like Jaren Jackson, Mario Elie, Robert Horry, Stephen Jackson, Boris Diaw, Steve Kerr, Danny Green are greater in their contribution to Spurs history in my opinion.

I rank LMA with guys like Mike Finley, Brent Barry, Malik Rose, Nazr Mohammed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Avery not top 10
    Kenon
    Mitchel

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will get in,. Because without a talent on the team the front office will pull out gimmicks so hard in an effort to fill seats.

Kawhi will get in after he retires assuming he behaves well enough. Pop will be dead. The 2014 crew or may not come.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan
    David Robinson
    Mani Ginobilli
    Tony Parker
    HoeAss Leonard
    Bruce Bowen
    George Gervin
    Sean Elliott
    Avery Johnson
    James Silas

even guys like Jaren Jackson, Mario Elie, Robert Horry, Stephen Jackson, Boris Diaw, Steve Kerr, Danny Green are greater in their contribution to Spurs history in my opinion.

I rank LMA with guys like Mike Finley, Brent Barry, Malik Rose, Nazr Mohammed.
    You can't look at it that way.

As a Spurs fan, I'll always love Bruce or Sean more, but LMA is a class above them and everyone else except for Ice, Admiral, the big3 and nephew.
    When nephew sabotaged us, LMA single-handedly carried the team to 47 wins.

He gave us 5 years, didn't end well, but considering the situation, can't really blame him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the softest stars in NBA history. The face of the death of Spurs culture. A monster against poor to above average teams, but would always let you down in must-win big games.

Reading this thread is sad, how far have Spurs fans fallen? They used to celebrate les, now they’re talking about how grateful they are that a man simply chose to be on their team, ignoring that he asked for a trade because he wasn’t getting enough touches on a WCFs team

The Nets had little chance of winning a le with Aldridge, he’s as cancerous as it gets on an NBA team. Blessing in disguise for them. Smart move by him, though, shouldn’t with the heart when you can comfortably retire with generational wealth.
    Not as soft as Durant and S bag, the latter of whom is partially responsible for the "death of Spurs culture" (the other half being the biggest 3 retiring). He had one chance to win a championship and age + S bag wetting the bed cost them in '16.

Though not for altruistic reasons, he was the one in prime star who took the plunge. Better than quitting entirely on that same WCF team, hiding cross country, exaggerating an injury, having his uncle speak for him through the media, then unwittingly falling into a contrived/tainted championship.

He wasn't going to determine the Nets fate either way.

A lot of fans may hate to admit it but Kawhi has a better case for having his jersey retired than LMA does.
    Not a chance, alt Harlem. Maybe for a wannabe franchise like the Raptors, not a prestigious one like this.

Aldridge has a strong case as the 7th best Spur of all-time, but I wouldn't retire his jersey. I'd have only retired the top 5 to begin with.

Every franchise in the "big 4" should have a "Ring of Honor" and that's where him + the others (minus S bag) should reside.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how much of his performance cliff dive may have been attributed a faulty ticker.

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In retrospect, LMA dragging the 2017-18 team to 47 wins has to be one of the most impressive non-championship accomplishments in team history. Who was the second best player on that team? Kyle Anderson? Danny Green?
    That was Kyle's last year on the Spurs, and he was probably the second best player on the team then. And that was a career year for LMA as a 32 year old. At the time, it felt like the team had years of contention left once Kawhi came back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither one should go up. Kawhi flat stole $19M from the Spurs by hiding out for a year in NY.

It’s not as cut and dry as it seems, sometimes. Muhsin Kenon, formerly known as Larry, played five seasons in SA, 1 ABA, and 4 NBA. He made two NBA All Star teams, and had a 22/11 season. He had a bit of a reputation as a clubhouse lawyer, though, and was traded. His number was never retired, and he has as many accolades as some numbers up there, and more than some others.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't look at it that way.

As a Spurs fan, I'll always love Bruce or Sean more, but LMA is a class above them and everyone else except for Ice, Admiral, the big3 and nephew.

He gave us 5 years, didn't end well, but considering the situation, can't really blame him.
    The 2017 WCF finals, when Kawhi was ZaZa’d he averaged 16 and 6. Did not at all step up in Kahwi’s absence. His 5 yr averages as a Spur... call it 20 and 9 with little team success. He is more Terry mings than any Spur who deserves to have their jersey retired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never was a fan but wish LMA good health and he deserves to live a full life with his family. That said, let his jersey retire in Portland, we don’t need to hang up anymore jerseys when the Big 3 are the only ones that make sense to be there right now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how much of his performance cliff dive may have been attributed a faulty ticker.
    he got pretty soft in shoulders, added some pounds, never good for a weak heart

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not as soft as Durant and S bag, the latter of whom is partially responsible for the "death of Spurs culture" (the other half being the biggest 3 retiring). He had one chance to win a championship and age + S bag wetting the bed cost them in '16.

Though not for altruistic reasons, he was the one in prime star who took the plunge. Better than quitting entirely on that same WCF team, hiding cross country, exaggerating an injury, having his uncle speak for him through the media, then unwittingly falling into a contrived/tainted championship.

He wasn't going to determine the Nets fate either way.

Not a chance, alt Harlem. Maybe for a wannabe franchise like the Raptors, not a prestigious one like this.

Aldridge has a strong case as the 7th best Spur of all-time, but I wouldn't retire his jersey. I'd have only retired the top 5 to begin with.

Every franchise in the "big 4" should have a "Ring of Honor" and that's where him + the others (minus S bag) should reside.
    I didn't know Kurgan was another Harlem alt but thanks for notifying me he is. I'll know not to waste time with Harlem's millionth alt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A devastating turn of events and an extremely sad way to end an illustrious career.
    I’m glad that his condition was determined early and hopefully it will not impact his life detrimentally post basketball.

I remember refreshing the FA thread every minute or so when word started to leak that he may sign with SA.
    The photos and snippets of video showing Pop and TD meeting with LaMarcus at that restaurant etc. - couldn’t believe he was signing with us.

Some great years here, the prime of your career - thanks for giving SA a legitimate contender in the age of GS dominance.

Sorry you could not end the game and career you loved on your own terms.

Thanks for all the memories LMA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Technically LMA number is already retired as Bowen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he had been here a lot longer, you could make that case. It makes about as much sense as putting Bonner or Patty’s jersey up there (role players that spent most of their careers on this team). We already have others Spurs on the rafters that really shouldn’t be there, LMA shouldn’t be added to that lol.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe this should be a separate thread, but isn't LMA a top 10 player to wear a Spurs uniform?
    Going solely by those whose jerseys are retired I'd go with no (Moore, Silas, Gervin, Elliott, Robinson, Avery, Bowen, Duncan, Ginobili, Parker), albeit barely. Aldridge probably did more for the franchise than Bowen did, and not much less than Avery imo.

This might be blasphemy around here, but I don't think Avery or Bowen deserved a jersey retirement. I guess I wouldn't mind a #12 up there with both names.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Going solely by those whose jerseys are retired I'd go with no (Moore, Silas, Gervin, Elliott, Robinson, Avery, Bowen, Duncan, Ginobili, Parker), albeit barely. Aldridge probably did more for the franchise than Bowen did, and not much less than Avery imo.

This might be blasphemy around here, but I don't think Avery or Bowen deserved a jersey retirement. I guess I wouldn't mind a #12 up there with both names.
    Avery for sure. I don’t mind Bowen since he was essentially the “4th” guy and important on those 3 le teams. But I also understand people saying he wasn’t worthy of a jersey retirement either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bowen was an integral part of multiple championship teams. Avery I won’t argue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We don’t win those 3 championships in 2003,2005,2007 without Bowen. He kept Kobe so busy trying to score that he was unable to both score and distribute like he did against most teams. We signed Bowen for < $1M, and he made All D, the first of 7 straight for us, the last 5 being first team. He never made much more than $4M, and made Ray Allen cry and reveal what a little he truly was. He had more balls than 95% of the guys who’ve put on a Spurs jersey, and his jersey absolutely belongs in the rafters.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Sad news but I guess he had to choose health and wellness over possibly dropping dead on the court if his ticker went out. Nothing to mess around with. He was playing well with Nets to.

Always a chance though he comes out of retirement if this clears up or surgery is done but it's probably over.

Thanks LMA!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't know Kurgan was another Harlem alt but thanks for notifying me he is. I'll know not to waste time with Harlem's millionth alt.
    What is the motive?
    More "hits" -regardless of how gotten....equals more ad revenue?

Seeing one's profile names inspires arousal which leads to Jergens sessions?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, when paired with another 20 point scorer the very next year in 2019, along with the GOAT coach the wins total must have really soared.
    Oh, 48.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone that doesn't like Aldridge's game is a Harlem alt according to TD21.

Thread Information