Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read in a CNN article that, “A YouGov survey of more than 8,000 American adults suggested last year that as many as one in six Americans are not entirely certain the world is round, while a 2019 Datafolha Ins ute survey of more than 2,000 Brazilian adults indicated that 7% of people in that country reject that concept, according to local media.”

This astounded me. I mean, I have been around the world on airplane. For me, this adequately demonstrates that the world “wraps around,” that it is “spherical,” “round,” an “oblate spheroid,” or whatever you want to call it.

Is there anyone here who does not believe that the earth is “round?” If so, why not? What do you believe instead? What evidence are you searching for?

I am asking this as a serious question out of genuine curiosity. I really want to understand.

I M Ultimate Badass Quadzilla99's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the top of ur head might be flat tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its an approximate sphere

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the top of ur head might be flat tbh
    Set yer beer on it if you need both hands to light yer cig.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Earth was round a ball would never stop rolling after being kicked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read in a CNN article that, “A YouGov survey of more than 8,000 American adults suggested last year that as many as one in six Americans are not entirely certain the world is round, while a 2019 Datafolha Ins ute survey of more than 2,000 Brazilian adults indicated that 7% of people in that country reject that concept, according to local media.”

This astounded me. I mean, I have been around the world on airplane. For me, this adequately demonstrates that the world “wraps around,” that it is “spherical,” “round,” an “oblate spheroid,” or whatever you want to call it.

Is there anyone here who does not believe that the earth is “round?” If so, why not? What do you believe instead? What evidence are you searching for?

I am asking this as a serious question out of genuine curiosity. I really want to understand.
    There's not much to understand, tbh... it's called rampant ignorance. You don't even need to hop on a plane, just grab a cellphone and a helium balloon...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...m-balloon.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exhibit A of rampant ignorance

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Friction does not exist.
    Its just an idea...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i believe the earth is round and always have but then again i never would've believed the i've seen while on psychedelics so who knows...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Friction does not exist.
    Its just an idea...
    It's actually more re ed than that. It implies gravity doesn't exist on an object with round mass. Einstein was deep state and his math is all fake news.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's actually more re ed than that. It implies gravity doesn't exist on an object with round mass. Einstein was deep state and his math is all fake news.
    This is actually sort of interesting.

Actually, if the Earth had a frictionless surface the ball would keep moving across the surface of the earth and orbit continuously at the surface but the ball would slide, not roll. It would keep moving at the same speed it left the foot at. Physics types do ask these types of questions and start simple by removing forces that are more difficult to deal with.

The forces of gravity and the normal force (the surface of the earth pushing up on the ball) would be perpendicular to motion and therefore not affect the motion.

This also assumes the Earth is perfectly round.

Whoa...
    In fact the ball would be like a very tiny moon with the same point contact always “facing” the Earth’s surface.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    chris and derp avoiding this thread despite being tagged

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is actually sort of interesting.

Actually, if the Earth had a frictionless surface the ball would keep moving across the surface of the earth and orbit continuously at the surface but the ball would slide, not roll. It would keep moving at the same speed it left the foot at. Physics types do ask these types of questions and start simple by removing forces that are more difficult to deal with.

The forces of gravity and the normal force (the surface of the earth pushing up on the ball) would be perpendicular to motion and therefore not affect the motion.

This also assumes the Earth is perfectly round.

Whoa...
    In fact the ball would be like a very tiny moon with the same point contact always “facing” the Earth’s surface.
    What you call the 'normal force' is the centrifugal force (aka centripetal acceleration), and as anybody that paid attention in physics class, it's higher on the equator and lower on the poles (because the earth's spin axis is on the poles, despite some minor drift because it's not perfectly round), which is another way to attest the Earth is indeed round. Unfortunately, Gravimeters are extremely expensive, otherwise, it would also be a simple way to debunk this stupidity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What you call the 'normal force' is the centrifugal force (aka centripetal acceleration), and as anybody that paid attention in physics class, it's higher on the equator and lower on the poles (because the earth's spin axis is on the poles, despite some minor drift because it's not perfectly round), which is another way to attest the Earth is indeed round. Unfortunately, Gravimeters are extremely expensive, otherwise, it would also be a simple way to debunk this stupidity.
    Please do not read the following unless... you are... different and bored.

Centrifugal force is actually a fictional force (It’s really just a feeling that an object “wants” to move outward when in reality the inertia of a mass “wants” a mass to keep moving in a straight line instead of, say, a circle) Centripetal force is any force or forces that keep an object moving in a circular path. So in the case of the ball, gravity, a field force, keeps the ball moving in a circular path. The reason the ball does not spiral in is because the electrons in the atoms of the surface of the earth repel the electrons in the atoms of the ball and vice versa. The electric fields really repel each other, atoms don’t actually touch. This is why the third law works on the atomic level. (We can make atoms or their cons uents theoretically touch other in particle accelerators but that’s another story). This is what we call the normal force on the ball from earth, The so called touching each other, but since the ball is the mass we are interested in making the circle we call it the normal force on the ball by the earth.

Anyways, the gravitational force provides the centripetal force keeping our ball from leaving the surface and the normal force keeps the ball from spiraling in. If the earth were to just disappear, but it’s gravitational field remain in place (good luck with that), the ball would spiral in if already moving, or just drop towards the center if not.

I AM SO SORRY for all the detail but I can’t help it. Because the fun in science is saying this is what should happen if we do this. And then we test it, or if we can’t, look for the experiment already carried out in the natural phenomena around us.

I think about some of the simple mechanical physics as a hobby or maybe it’s some sort of neurosis. Or a get away from biochemistry.

In closing, i would would like to apologize to the board for my brevity.

dnr;tl

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The establishment put this out there to water down the real conspiracies.

Lite

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Friction does not exist.
    Its just an idea...
    Bend over, I'll ing disprove this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The establishment put this out there to water down the real conspiracies.

Lite
    so what's your take on the subject?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so what's your take on the subject?
    I just told you my take on the subject. And if me or anyone says they believe in it, you'll use that as indicators that real conspiracies such as 911, Kennedy, etc. are bull . You want your convenient out, Lite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just told you my take on the subject. And if me or anyone says they believe in it, you'll use that as indicators that real conspiracies such as 911, Kennedy, etc. are bull . You want your convenient out, Lite.
    Thread le: Do you believe the earth is flat?

you haven't given your take on the subject

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its an approximate sphere
    oblate spheroid is the term, I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some flat earthers did exactly that. Paid $25,000 or so for the instrument. And found their measurement was exactly what was predicted by a spherical earth.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thread le: Do you believe the earth is flat?

you haven't given your take on the subject
    Cos you are unable to glean my take from what I've said, Troglodyte Lite?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "real conspiracies such as 9-11"

What is your theory?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "real conspiracies such as 9-11"

What is your theory?
    We know all about your 911 sperm shielding thread, random cuck. I'll go there if I want to watch you sperm shield on the subject.

Thread Information