Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top-14 picks who failed to meet starter criteria:

With that in mind, let’s check in on how this year’s RFAs-to-be will be impacted by the starter criteria. Listed below are the former top-14 picks on track for restricted free agency who have not met the starter criteria. These players will be eligible for qualifying offers worth $4,642,800.

As the Nos. 9, 10, and 14 picks in the 2016 draft, Poeltl, Maker, and Valentine won’t be hit particularly hard by falling short of the starter criteria. Their projected qualifying offers would have ranged from approximately $5.09MM to $4.7MM, respectively, so a dip to $4.64MM shouldn’t have a major impact on their respective free agencies. Of the three players, only Poeltl looks like a lock to even receive a QO.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/06/...-criteria.html

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be interested in getting Thon. His is athletic and can hit the three. If we could get him might be a good deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easily one of the worse trades in nba history

still I think theres hope for a pure center like poodle. Mother er just needs to play

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only good in certain situations. Bad with the current Spurs, since LMA is there and can't play 2 bigs anymore

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been discussed a million times but his problem is the lack of a PnR playmaker on the Spurs. Murray's not very good at it, Patty is more of a shooter off of the pick. White is the closest to a PnR playamker but his timid play limits the others as well.

Poeltl is good at what he does and his role functionally isn't any different to Capella's or Adams's, but he doesn't have anyone to take advantage of his rolling and is reduced to putbacks and whatever comes from broken plays. Manu made a much worse player (Blair) look effective but there's no Manu on the team anymore.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he sucks, but hey, there's another 14 guys on the roster that are just as bad. so, no hate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been discussed a million times but his problem is the lack of a PnR playmaker on the Spurs. Murray's not very good at it, Patty is more of a shooter off of the pick. White is the closest to a PnR playamker but his timid play limits the others as well.

Poeltl is good at what he does and his role functionally isn't any different to Capella's or Adams's, but he doesn't have anyone to take advantage of his rolling and is reduced to putbacks and whatever comes from broken plays. Manu made a much worse player (Blair) look effective but there's no Manu on the team anymore.
    Agreed, there's a good number of non-shooting Cs who are effective in the league (Gobert, Capela, Adams, McGee etc.), but you need to feed em on offense and then let em play defense
    Manu made a bunch of scrubs/defensive minded big men look like scoring threats at times (Blair, old man Fabricio, Tiago, Baynes), I think we could get something similar with White handling the ball more, his IQ and passing ability are there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, there's a good number of non-shooting Cs who are effective in the league (Gobert, Capela, Adams, McGee etc.), but you need to feed em on offense and then let em play defense
    Manu made a bunch of scrubs/defensive minded big men look like scoring threats at times (Blair, old man Fabricio, Tiago, Baynes), I think we could get something similar with White handling the ball more, his IQ and passing ability are there
    Gotta' pick a lane though. Either he's a starter or de facto backup. Spurs are not going to anywhere zagging with two centers playing the bulk of their minutes together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I noticed that Poetl would make a good move to the basket, get behind the defense and not get hit with a pass. Must be awfully frustrating to be wide open and be overlooked. I'm never sure whether the lack of a pass is due to incompetence by the guards or some kind of selfish desire to hold on to the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade LMA to Portland & start him.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I noticed that Poetl would make a good move to the basket, get behind the defense and not get hit with a pass. Must be awfully frustrating to be wide open and be overlooked. I'm never sure whether the lack of a pass is due to incompetence by the guards or some kind of selfish desire to hold on to the ball.
    I have seen that so often, that i actually think its on purpose. Poeltl is one of the most efficent players on the offensive end (i know i know, with limited range), give him 2 or 3 touches a quarter when he is open, and you have 8-10 points at a bare minimum. With everything else he does, thats a good starting center. And we are talking about limited minutes. I would like to see his production, when he plays 30 mins per game for the period of at least 10 games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Someone got their Poeltl slurper notification.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he sucks, but hey, there's another 14 guys on the roster that are just as bad. so, no hate.
    Guaranteed he'd be much better on a different team with a different coach. In a different decade.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guaranteed he'd be much better on a different team with a different coach. In a different decade.
    He would be great on the spurs in 2005 and 2007.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta' pick a lane though. Either he's a starter or de facto backup. Spurs are not going to anywhere zagging with two centers playing the bulk of their minutes together.
    I d rebuild this whole ship, trade DDR and LMA and start him tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easily one of the worse trades in nba history
    The Spurs tend to make bad trades when they are forced to get rid of a malcontent who has already told the world he's gone.

I don't think the Kawhi trade was any worse than Dennis Rodman for Will Perdue. That one looked pretty bad. (But Perdue helped the team ring in '99.)

Then the Spurs had to unload another charm school grad, Derek Anderson, for an all but washed up Steve Smith. That didn't look too good either. (But Steve Smith helped the team ring in '03.)

Those two trades were just as coerced and one-sided as the Kawhi trade but the Spurs managed to prevail -- I wouldn't bet against them over the long haul.

3 stars and a sun
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs tend to make bad trades when they are forced to get rid of a malcontent who has already told the world he's gone.

I don't think the Kawhi trade was any worse than Dennis Rodman for Will Perdue. That one looked pretty bad. (But Perdue helped the team ring in '99.)

Then the Spurs had to unload another charm school grad, Derek Anderson, for an all but washed up Steve Smith. That didn't look too good either. (But Steve Smith helped the team ring in '03.)

Those two trades were just as coerced and one-sided as the Kawhi trade but the Spurs managed to prevail -- I wouldn't bet against them over the long haul.
    As much as I like the positivity, those teams had Tim Duncan though...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I dont think any of these trades are as bad as kawhi. the closer one would probably be rodman by skill but he cause lots of problems in the locker room. I also consider Anderson/smith to be close in skill at time. Anderson was just much younger. Neither anderson nor rodman were a top player in the league. While derozen is better then any player we got back the skill different between Kawhi and Derozen/potel is far greater then any. It is almost imposible to replace a top talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Comparing trading Derek ing Anderson and Dennis Rodman to Kawhi and Green.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont think any of these trades are as bad as kawhi. the closer one would probably be rodman by skill but he cause lots of problems in the locker room. I also consider Anderson/smith to be close in skill at time. Anderson was just much younger. Neither anderson nor rodman were a top player in the league. While derozen is better then any player we got back the skill different between Kawhi and Derozen/potel is far greater then any. It is almost imposible to replace a top talent.
    Worse than quitting on your team?

Yes, Number Two is certainly the best player the Spurs have ever traded away. But the best ability is availability, and Number Two made it clear that he was not going to be available. At that point he had zero value as a player, his only value was as a trade chip.

Given the general perception that he was going to walk away from any non-LA team he was traded to (which was proven to be correct), not many teams were going to give up long-term value for a 1-year rental.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade LMA to Portland & start him.
    If we trade LMA to Portland we probably get Nurkic or Collins back and start them instead tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Oh, Joy. Two injured centers.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If we trade LMA to Portland we probably get Nurkic or Collins back and start them instead tbh.
    No you dont. Portland would be stupid to give just one of them for LMA, but both is just wishful thinking.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Anderson trade made sense tho, considering we got SJax and Manu was coming over

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nurk is a better player than LMA at this point, he s younger and very close to Lillard as well, no way they're giving him up

Thread Information