Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    shot and killed by Police...

Arvada police confirm officer shot Johnny Hurley, say he was holding suspect's rifle at the time

ARVADA, Colo. — The Arvada Police Department confirmed Friday one of its officers shot Johnny Hurley, the Good Samaritan who witnesses say shot the suspect in the Olde Town Arvada shooting, which Denver7 Investigates previously confirmed through three ranking sources Wednesday.

Arvada police released a statement and timeline Friday afternoon of the events Monday in which they confirmed Hurley shot Ronald Troyke, the man accused of killing Officer Gordon Beesley, then picked up one of Troyke’s guns, at which time he was shot by an Arvada police officer. The timeline also says that Troyke had planned the shooting beforehand.

The Arvada Police Department released the following timeline Friday afternoon:

• 12:49 p.m.: The suspect’s brother called asking for a welfare check because his brother was going to “do something crazy.”
    • 1:08 p.m.: Officer Gordon Beesley and another Arvada officer attempted to contact the suspect, identified as Ronald Troyke, at his residence, to check his welfare but were unable to make contact with him, so they cleared from the call at 1:18 p.m.
    • 1:17 p.m.: Dispatch received a call for a su ious person in the Olde Town Square.
    • 1:30 p.m.: Beesley was dispatched to the su ious person call, arriving at the Olde Town Square at 1:31 p.m.
    • 1:31 p.m.: Beesley parked on Webster Street and walked through an alley toward the Olde Town Square. As he walked westbound, Troyke pulled into the area in a truck and parked behind him. The suspect got out of his truck with a 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun, ran after Beesley and yelled at him. Beesley stopped, turned and immediately was shot twice by the suspect. Beesley did not reach for his gun and took no defensive action. He turned in response to the suspect who then shot and killed him. Troyke then shot out the windows of patrol cars parked in the area and into the air. He ran back to his truck and retrieved an AR-15 and then ran back towards the Olde Town Square with the long gun, where he was confronted by Hurley. Hurley then shot the suspect with a handgun.A responding Arvada police officer then encountered Hurley, who was holding the suspect’s AR-15. The officer shot him.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RandomNono.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad that shoot first and ask questions later is the standard response for the police.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Sad that shoot first and ask questions later is the standard response for the police.
    You've nary room, Ef. Your cop shot that unarmed woman to death on 1-6. Nary room. Nary!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably saved a lot of lives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably saved a lot of lives.
    We'll never know, tbh. If reports are accurate, perpetrator was intentionally targeting cops. Somewhat ironic he might have saved a lot of cops lives and got killed by one of them.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    We'll never know, tbh. If reports are accurate, perpetrator was intentionally targeting cops. Somewhat ironic he might have saved a lot of cops lives and got killed by one of them.
    What's the up shot, pal-O-mine? I ain't had my second cup of coffee yet and your ((("reporting"/as CNN always emphatically states/tee, hee))) reads like a police officer fire drill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the up shot, pal-O-mine? I ain't had my second cup of coffee yet and your ((("reporting"/as CNN always emphatically states/tee, hee))) reads like a police officer fire drill.
    Well, the argument goes that a good guy with a gun in the right place and time could arguably save lives. I mean, there's no way to really prove this, and I don't know there are statistically significant samples of this either.

The counterargument is that not everybody is trained to be this good samaritan and that can cost lives itself (stray bullets, etc), including his own.

Even trained shooters can end up dead as well and could escalate a situation in the wrong way. In a nuts , civilians roleplaying as cops also has a potential deadly risk, especially when gun access is so widely available here in the US.

And in this particular case, we also have the subplot of the trigger-happy cop. Which in and of itself is a counter-argument to the notion that we should leave the shooting to trained professionals.

I thought they were all interesting ingredients on this story, was wondering what kind of chatter we were going to get about it.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Well, the argument goes that a good guy with a gun in the right place and time could arguably save lives. I mean, there's no way to really prove this, and I don't know there are statistically significant samples of this either.

The counterargument is that not everybody is trained to be this good samaritan and that can cost lives itself (stray bullets, etc), including his own.

Even trained shooters can end up dead as well and could escalate a situation in the wrong way. In a nuts , civilians roleplaying as cops also has a potential deadly risk, especially when gun access is so widely available here in the US.

And in this particular case, we also have the subplot of the trigger-happy cop. Which in and of itself is a counter-argument to the notion that we should leave the shooting to trained professionals.

I thought they were all interesting ingredients on this story, was wondering what kind of chatter we were going to get about it.
    The old El-Train always comes thru in the end...

El

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Basically, the people that make the "good guy with a gun, we need moar guns not less guns" argument are too stupid and dishonest to follow their own logic, and since their argument was never based in reality, more reality (this story) isn't going to stop them from repeating the same line, now cue mass stabbings in 3, 2, 1...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Basically, the people that make the "good guy with a gun, we need moar guns not less guns" argument are too stupid and dishonest to follow their own logic, and since their argument was never based in reality, more reality (this story) isn't going to stop them from repeating the same line, now cue mass stabbings in 3, 2, 1...

...not I, diego, but I will do just as I always do at these moments:::double your arms, double your ammo, and teach yourself how to build ammo***. That-a-way when they come for the guns they won't believe what will happen next even as it's happening.

***remember when that race hustling Hussein was occupying the White House he'd buy up all the gd ammunition and then destroy it, the SOB.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...not I, diego, but I will do just as I always do at these moments:::double your arms, double your ammo, and teach yourself how to build ammo***. That-a-way when they come for the guns they won't believe what will happen next even as it's happening.

***remember when that race hustling Hussein was occupying the White House he'd buy up all the gd ammunition and then destroy it, the SOB.
    I'm sure your guns will be really efficient against an F15 strike

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Biden talks a good F-15 and nuke detonation against Americans...

- "All talk and a badge."

- "Al Capone" - "The Untouchables"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with criminal, sadistic, racist, blood-thirsty police, the rule is eye-blink escalation to brutality and killing

"bad apples" BS, it's the culture of police everywhere.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with criminal, sadistic, racist, blood-thirsty police, the rule is eye-blink escalation to brutality and killing

"bad apples" BS, it's the culture of police everywhere.
    that’s what happened when you don’t have checks and balances. Here an officer of the law is judged more seriously when committing a crime than a regular citizen. But inversely, a crime against a cop is also judged more seriously

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's always the case that you never know what was prevented. The fact he was shot by an officer who didn't have proper situational awareness has nothing to do with "good guy with a gun" possibly saving a lot of lives.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's always the case that you never know what was prevented. The fact he was shot by an officer who didn't have proper situational awareness has nothing to do with "good guy with a gun" possibly saving a lot of lives.
    if guns are not easily accessible, only few bad guys have some and police knows that they are bad guys which explains the very low gun deaths in other countries

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure no F15 was used in the Capitol Riot. Suddenly a bunch of people with cable ties and cell phones can overthrow the federal government, but if you own a firearm you're pissing in the wind.

There's a double standard being used here. Either people with guns are a formidable force or they aren't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're special bro...

Imagine actually typing this bs out and thinking it could be a reality.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Pretty sure no F15 was used in the Capitol Riot. Suddenly a bunch of people with cable ties and cell phones can overthrow the federal government, but if you own a firearm you're pissing in the wind.

There's a double standard being used here. Either people with guns are a formidable force or they aren't.
    D M C

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, of course it has everything to do with it. One of the few factual events we can trace his death to is the fact that he was holding the perpetrator's AR15 when he got shot and killed.

Much like we can speculate he saved a lot of lives, we can also speculate he would still be alive today if he would've called the cops and hid instead of trying to be the "good guy with a gun".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There's no double standard, IMO. You're conflating the Capitol Riot with an argument that's constantly brought up by pro-gun advocates.

The argument that civilian armed insurrection can overthrow an allegedly tyrannical federal government is brought up by pro-gun advocates as a means to justify the purchase/hoarding of all sorts of weapons and the sanc y of the 2A, and it's entirely illusory.

I mean, it's unlikely it would need to be escalated to F15s. Drones can be used to the same effect without risking human lives, and even those might or not be necessary,

For a recent example, one can go back to the Bundy standoff to recall what that might look like. F15s were not used then either, but only because it wasn't needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, of course it has everything to do with it. One of the few factual events we can trace his death to is the fact that he was holding the perpetrator's AR15 when he got shot and killed.

Much like we can speculate he saved a lot of lives, we can also speculate he would still be alive today if he would've called the cops and hid instead of trying to be the "good guy with a gun".
    What does that have to do with the fact he killed the shooter? He might be alive today, but many other cops might not be. Being a coward isn't always the right approach. How did calling the cops and hiding work in Walmart or King Sooper's or Luby's?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no double standard, IMO. You're conflating the Capitol Riot with an argument that's constantly brought up by pro-gun advocates.

The argument that civilian armed insurrection can overthrow an allegedly tyrannical federal government is brought up by pro-gun advocates as a means to justify the purchase/hoarding of all sorts of weapons and the sanc y of the 2A, and it's entirely illusory.

I mean, it's unlikely it would need to be escalated to F15s. Drones can be used to the same effect without risking human lives, and even those might or not be necessary,

For a recent example, one can go back to the Bundy standoff to recall what that might look like. F15s were not used then either, but only because it wasn't needed.
    But Jan 6 was a coup attempt that almost succeeded, nary a gun.

If having a gun doesn't help you, what does not having a gun do for you? We'd have to ask the Jews if they were still around.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    But Jan 6 was a coup attempt that almost succeeded, nary a gun.

If having a gun doesn't help you, what does not having a gun do for you? We'd have to ask the Jews if they were still around.
    D M C

Thread Information