Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some dunks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In my opinion his skill set is redundant with Walker already on the roster and Walker is a better prospect anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    old news but:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://hoopshype.com/2019/06/11/moc...ntry-deadline/

Looks like Porter slipped to around 20. IIRC he impressed the Spurs doing an interview and also worked out for them. Apparently has also been getting mentored by Dejounte Murray.

"Two NBA guards, Jamal Crawford of the Phoenix Suns and Dejounte Murray of the Spurs, have mentored Porter. Crawford, one of the NBA’s top sixth men, has advised Porter since he was in the eighth grade in Seattle.

“More mental than physical,” Porter said of the advice from Crawford and Murray. “They know I can play; they want me mentally locked in for every single workout.”
    https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...231319743.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://hoopshype.com/2019/06/11/moc...ntry-deadline/

Looks like Porter slipped to around 20. IIRC he impressed the Spurs doing an interview and also worked out for them. Apparently has also been getting mentored by Dejounte Murray.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...231319743.html
    He's from Seattle like Crawford and Murray.

He's intriguing for sure.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte seems to be doing a lot of mentoring. He could be the team leader this year. There’s definitely a vacuum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could this guy play SF or is he to small?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He measured 6'4 without shoes. Prob a little undersized for today's standards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker is an inch shorter but 2” longer wingspan and better vertical. If he’s adding 20 lbs like they asked him to he’s probably better suited to spend time at SF than Porter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He measured 6'4 without shoes. Prob a little undersized for today's standards.
    Yet Nassir Little is the same size and people here want him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just saw him commented on DJ's post in IG. Checked his profile and got surprised that he's being followed by DeMar. DeMar only following about 160-170+ accounts, it's just weird to see what's their connection.
    Last edited by NickiRasgo; 06-12-2019 at 10:09 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just saw him commented on DJ's post. Checked his profile and got surprised that he's being followed by DeMar. Demar only following about 160-170+ accounts, it's just weird to see what's their connection.
    interesting. Hes one of the guys i like in this draft. Dude has handles and can get to the hole

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess it's the school:

Enter Kevin Porter Jr., a freshman guard from USC. Despite only starting four games and playing in 21 games during his lone season with the Trojans, Porter Jr. is projected to be picked in the first round of the 2019 NBA draft.

"USC's first five-star recruit since DeMar DeRozan in 2008, there is little doubt that Porter has the athleticism and ball-handling skills necessary for the 6-foot-7, 19-year-old to make the jump to the NBA," Ira Winderman wrote in a story outlining the Heat's potential interest in the guard. "The questions, however, are on the maturity side, suspended at midseason by Trojans coach Andy Enfield for 'conduct issues.'"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As pointed out earlier, he went to the same HS that the Spurs scout DJ but he also went to USC where the Spurs scouted Metu for 2 years. Sure they have connections there to get additional information about him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As pointed out earlier, he went to the same HS that the Spurs scout DJ but he also went to USC where the Spurs scouted Metu for 2 years. Sure they have connections there to get additional information about him.
    Vecinie’s Game Theory podcast today covered Porter. Basically they felt he had the highest potential upside outside the top few in the draft if he works hard and reaches his potential. Way, way unlikely to be there at 19 and would enter a very crowded field of Spurs wings with potential. Maybe Pop could be the first coach to run five PGs, SGs, small SFs all at the same time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vecinie’s Game Theory podcast today covered Porter. Basically they felt he had the highest potential upside outside the top few in the draft if he works hard and reaches his potential. Way, way unlikely to be there at 19 and would enter a very crowded field of Spurs wings with potential. Maybe Pop could be the first coach to run five PGs, SGs, small SFs all at the same time.
    Don Nelson was the first real small ball implementing coach. He ran 6'5" Mario Elie at PF and beat the Spurs in a playoff series.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No saying I want Nassir, but he's got 4" more wingspan and 15-20 pounds on KPJ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don Nelson was the first real small ball implementing coach. He ran 6'5" Mario Elie at PF and beat the Spurs in a playoff series.
    6'5" Mario Ellie guarded David Robinson that series -- the Warriors just fouled every time DRob touched the ball. And it wasn't just Ellie, the Warriors ran waves of players at DRob. . .

The Spurs didn't (or couldn't) adjust. That was the beginning of the end for Larry Brown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6'5" Mario Ellie guarded David Robinson that series -- the Warriors just fouled every time DRob touched the ball. And it wasn't just Ellie, the Warriors ran waves of players at DRob. . .

The Spurs didn't (or couldn't) adjust. That was the beginning of the end for Larry Brown.
    i thought i remembered elie giving terry mings lots of fits in that series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte seems to be doing a lot of mentoring. He could be the team leader this year. There’s definitely a vacuum.
    He's always been like this.. he wants to lead, and it's only a matter of time before he gets the full respect of the team and blossoms into a true star IMO. I couldn't find a clip on Youtube, but in his last season there was a time where he was stepping on coach Pop's toes in the timeout coaching the team himself on needing to crash the boards.. Pop looked at him funny but allowed him to interrupt and then gave a sarcastic "Thanks DJ" after the end of his coaching

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's always been like this.. he wants to lead, and it's only a matter of time before he gets the full respect of the team and blossoms into a true star IMO. I couldn't find a clip on Youtube, but in his last season there was a time where he was stepping on coach Pop's toes in the timeout coaching the team himself on needing to crash the boards.. Pop looked at him funny but allowed him to interrupt and then gave a sarcastic "Thanks DJ" after the end of his coaching
    That was at the beginning of last season. Pop actually said "He's right" after DJ talked about needing to crash the boards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One worrying thing is it appears as if his shot mechanics are getting worse. Tbh, it looks like he's been getting lessons from Lonzo Ball. Super low release point, putting the ball on other side of his face ... man, I don't know. Add in his pitiful free throw percentage and he could literally be on that Lonzo 40/30/50 arc.

I realize he can get separation but I'm not 100% convinced he can even get that shot off at the NBA level. Chip would have his hands full, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ima say no to this one. It’s one thing with a guy like Hayes and worrying about fit with Poeltl, LMA & Milu. It’s another worrying about fit with Murray, White & Lonnie.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One worrying thing is it appears as if his shot mechanics are getting worse. Tbh, it looks like he's been getting lessons from Lonzo Ball. Super low release point, putting the ball on other side of his face ... man, I don't know. Add in his pitiful free throw percentage and he could literally be on that Lonzo 40/30/50 arc.

I realize he can get separation but I'm not 100% convinced he can even get that shot off at the NBA level. Chip would have his hands full, tbh...
    It would be much less exciting, but I would actually love to see a workout video of a player shooting 50 throws in a row.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Little is 6'6'' in shoes (6'4.5'' barefoot, so add an inch and round up) 224, with a 7'1.25'' wingspan. He's a little on the shorter side, but that's very much the physical profile of a combo forward.

Porter Jr. is half an incher shorter, 11 pounds lighter and has a 4.25 inch shorter wingspan. That's the physical profile of a wing.

Ima say no to this one. It’s one thing with a guy like Hayes and worrying about fit with Poeltl, LMA & Milu. It’s another worrying about fit with Murray, White & Lonnie.
    I'm not opposed. If he's the highest upside play and the supposed character issues aren't overly concerning, go for it.

Everything needs to be on the table. If they think he's comparable to Walker and actually give Walker a role next season and he shows flashes of serious potential, he can double as a valuable trade chip. Not saying you necessarily move him obviously, just that it would give them more options.

I already view Murray and White that way. Sure, all 3 can play together some, but if they all hit the ceilings many believe they have, at some point a decision will most likely have to be made anyway.

Thread Information