Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Not sure if everyone knew this already or not...

The one remaining piece to the Lakers' puzzle for next season is close to falling into place, according to a report from the OC Register. Lamar Odom is said to be weighing L.A.'s latest offer of more than $8 million per to re-sign with the team, and a deal could come down as early as next week.

If the terms get worked out as expected, it's great news for the Lakers, but even better news for Odom. Because for some reason, it's not like there are any other teams that have shown much interest.

The amount of years that the team offered is unknown at this point, although Odom was initially seeking a deal worth $10 million a season. The fact that the club is already over the luxury tax threshold, and will pay a dollar for dollar penalty above and beyond whatever they give Odom, means that there would have to be some compromise on his part if he wants to remain in Los Angeles.

Right now, unless Odom wants to take a sizable pay cut and go somewhere else for a team's mid-level exception, there aren't really a lot of options. Because with that kind of asking price, very few clubs are able to make things work under the salary cap.

An $8 million per year deal is more than just for a player of Odom's skill set (we're only talking Anderson Varejao money, people), but the most likely bidder for his services -- the Portland Trailblazers, who have both the need at the position and the space under the cap -- don't seem to be the slightest bit interested.

So, while Odom will likely be a couple million short of his preferred signing point, it looks like he'll get to stay in Los Angeles, and play alongside childhood friend Ron Artest, on a stacked team looking to repeat as champions. All things considered, it seems like a pretty good deal to me.
    http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/07/12/r...getting-close/

Lakers, World Champions La Peace's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Portland

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no one's interested....lol classic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn. Only 2m higher than McDyess.

It's a good deal for Lakers.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Damn steal for 8 million. Anyone want to spin this about LO making Lakers worse?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I never doubted Odom leaving. Just get the ink on the paper and LA is set.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Damn steal for 8 million. Anyone want to spin this about LO making Lakers worse?
    Odom eats way too much candy and doesn't share with anybody. That could cause some locker room drama.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    no one's interested....lol classic.

you're not frenzy

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's really good when his game is on. It's a decent gamble for 8 mil a year now that he's actually shown up in the playoffs, right?

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More time on the bench for the $80 Million man.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Re-signing LO makes us unquestionably the favorites going into next year, barring more FA deals

Great Length
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lakers won't win if they can't resign LO, oh they resigned LO, yeah he's not that good, he'll up their chemistry.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    For leverage, he should get a $250 million contract offer from a team in Greece. They offer loads of money to NBA players even though they end up not being able to pay them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Odom should just resign with the lakers. By the looks of it, no one outside of the lakers think that much of him.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There would be plenty of teams lining up to offer Odom the money he wants if they weren't constrained to the MLE. But since those teams are constrained, the lakers have good leverage in negotiations. I'd expect Lamar to wait and see whether Portland gets Milsap or not before signing anything though.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Odom should go to the Knicks for the MLE for one year and go back to free agency next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers are being fortunate to be in the right place at the right time with these negotiations.

Looks like the rest of the league has caught on to the fact that Odom, while a fantastic role player, doesn't seem to be franchise player. Therefore, no ones willing to throw the money at him that he wants.

Still surprised no one is even willing to match the Lakers offer, but even if they did, I imagine he'd probably stick with LA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8 millions for showing up 2-3 times each season?

I would take it !!!!!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I don't care how much they pay Odom as long as they sign him. I don't think Lamar will play any worse if he gets a lesser deal than his original asking price of 10 million. People would complain about his inconsistency but I still think he's better than Sheed or Dice at this point in his career. So long as the Lakers can match up well with Boston in the Finals from the Starting 5 all the way to the 6th man and the bench, I don't care what Lamar does the rest of the season.

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I don't care how much they pay Odom as long as they sign him. I don't think Lamar will play any worse if he gets a lesser deal than his original asking price of 10 million. People would complain about his inconsistency but I still think he's better than Sheed or Dice at this point in his career. >>>So long as the Lakers can match up well with Boston in the Finals from the Starting 5 all the way to the 6th man and the bench, I don't care what Lamar does the rest of the season.<<<
    A fine, cogent post.

Odum is a professional. His MO is set in stone. We know what we're getting into with him, and for the most part we've made our peace with that MO. He is what he is and we've cast our lot with him, and vice versa.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lakers are being fortunate to be in the right place at the right time with these negotiations.

Looks like the rest of the league has caught on to the fact that Odom, while a fantastic role player, doesn't seem to be franchise player. Therefore, no ones willing to throw the money at him that he wants.

Still surprised no one is even willing to match the Lakers offer, but even if they did, I imagine he'd probably stick with LA.
    thats because everyone but portland and memphis is over the cap. i guarantee you if the spurs, suns, cavs, and at least 15 other teams were 8-9 million under the cap, they would offer lamar that money

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ODOM is worth about 7-8 million when motivated

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    - "Thank, Christ we're not 8-9 million under the cap,,,Odum is loose."

- spurs, suns, cavs, & at least 15 other teams

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    i can already see spurs fans. "odom is washed up and is a waste of a human being and will not do anything to stop our superior team"

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    i can already see spurs fans. "odom is washed up and is a waste of a human being and will not do anything to stop our superior team...
    ...and our don't stink"

Thread Information