My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some reaction from Twitter....

@Pounding the Rock
    I smell something fishy about this move...

@Pounding the Rock
    Spurs assign Cory Joseph to Austin Toros - Wait what?! #GoSpursGo sbn.to/wYlSEk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird timing. Why send Joseph to the Toros after Ginobili is injured? Until at least Neal is back and proven he can play, why take a guard off the roster?

If Neal can't go against the Warriors, the Spurs will have only 11 available instead of the max 13.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some reaction from Twitter....

@Pounding the Rock
    I smell something fishy about this move...

@Pounding the Rock
    Spurs assign Cory Joseph to Austin Toros - Wait what?! #GoSpursGo sbn.to/wYlSEk
    yep. they are loading up the Toros to make a run at the NBADL le. Look for Leonard to be assigned soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird timing. Why send Joseph to the Toros after Ginobili is injured? Until at least Neal is back and proven he can play, why take a guard off the roster?

If Neal can't go against the Warriors, the Spurs will have only 11 available instead of the max 13.
    Agreed... But I have no idea what they've got going on..

@Pounding the Rock
    In other words, something has to be up...

@Pounding the Rock
    Gregg Popovich can't play 10 players without Manu...No offense to Gary, but if he was #11, it wouldn't make that much of a difference

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep. they are loading up the Toros to make a run at the NBADL le. Look for Leonard to be assigned soon.
    well at least they can win a le! Maybe they'll assign Timmy there to so he goes out with a championship

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess Neal looked good enough during Monday's practice session with the Toros to play tomorrow against GSW. Maybe Spurs will sign too soon a bigman. They badly need one with 6 games in 8 days (3 b2b) coming from Spurs. Przybilla was said to give his answer just after the new year. Maybe it's him or maybe it's their plan b if he has turned down Spurs offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess Neal looked good enough during Monday's practice session with the Toros to play tomorrow against GSW.
    I'm not sure what time the Toros practice but the Spurs could have made this decision after watching Neal in two practices. The timing of sending Joseph down would still be pretty weird since if it made sense to send him down now, it should have made sense to send him down a week ago.

The only scenario that allows the timing to make sense would be:

-Spurs keep Danny Green out of training camp but plan to waive him once they sign the fifth big. After waiving Green, CJ would have a role (albeit a small role) with the Spurs.

-Manu Ginobili gets hurt and Green plays well in recent games.

-Spurs decide to keep Green.

-Neal ready to go.

-CJ no longer even has an outside chance of having a role with the big league team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how about sending tj ford instead?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ther's only one way to read it : the F.O. wants to send the players a supposedly strong signal that they're gonna compete for play offs till Manu is coming back and that the players they've considered still not ready to contribute will not be allowed to "disturb" the ones (Parker, TJ Ford, possibly Neal) that actually are en led to play-make the team in Manu's absence.

That said, apart from the "psyco-finesse" aspects, this move make no sense.
    Joseph looked more than decent in pre season and his one of the only two pure point guards in our team. Given the fact that play making will suffer 'cause of Manu forced absence, I don't understand how send him in the d-league can effectively help our team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    should be makin more moves to tank....

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure the plan was to send him down after a few games all along. People tend to overanalyze these things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure the plan was to send him down after a few games all along. People tend to overanalyze these things.

I would have to agree. Would I do it now, no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would have to agree. Would I do it now, no.
    Eh, his play has been fiercely overrated.

And at the risk over overanalyzing things myself, I'll go ahead and speculate the timing could have something to do with the Toros' schedule -- three games in four days and then two games in the D-League showcase after that next week. That will give the staff a nice sample of playing time to see where Joseph is right now and potentially show him off to other teams for trade purposes.[/hypocrisy]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    shoulda sent down tony tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gary Neal will be on the court at the Spurs' practice facility for a full session with his team. Temporarily, it won't be with the Spurs. Neal underwent an appendectomy Dec. 12 and has been doing conditioning work for more than a week. But the Spurs have been unable to practice with their busy schedule, which hasn't allowed Neal to get the contact work the team's medical staff wants him to have before suiting up for a game. The Spurs' Development League team, the Austin Toros, were a perfect solution for a rehab stint. The second-year shooting guard, who was in Austin on Tuesday for practice, is likely to be back on the court with the Spurs by week's end. San Antonio Express-New

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, the Toros are practicing at the Spurs facility. Nice for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CJ is not ready for the NBA, regardless of Manu's condition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like what I see from Danny Green, except when he got blocked by Rubio, but to be honest, it was more like a steal, a bad one at that.

But anyways, Danny is tenacious on defense, and his offensive flow isn't terrible for his limited minutes. I feel like this guy can be a surprise for the Spurs.

& there's no way the Spurs have given up on CJ, he needs a season with the Toros, but he is an awesome defensive PG, he is also long, quick, and confident. He'll be back. But I can see the Spurs picking up another guard now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

& there's no way the Spurs have given up on CJ, he needs a season with the Toros, but he is an awesome defensive PG, he is also long, quick, and confident. He'll be back. But I can see the Spurs picking up another guard now.
    This. We have to remember that CJ was one and done at UT. The kid has got some nice skills, but is still raw and needs some seasoning, which he can't get consistantly with the Spurs right now. Imo, I expect CJ will be the Spurs starting pg within a couple of years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, the Toros are practicing at the Spurs facility. Nice for them.
    hey chump - what do you know about Mychel Thompson? I'm not saying he's the best option, but you have to like his 3 pt #'s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is best for Joseph. He needs to play and he needs practice neither of which he is going to get in this shortened season. He should have a future with the team though in the long run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hey chump - what do you know about Mychel Thompson? I'm not saying he's the best option, but you have to like his 3 pt #'s
    Haven't really seen enough of him to make a call. I think he's currently on the Cavs.

Most of the other good shooters in the D-League are pretty one-dimensional, so he might have an advantage over those.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think CJ will have a future with this team. He might get some call ups but I doubt he does much. Every year these scrubs get all this praise and every year they do nothing to earn it.

It's those like Neal who take advantage of their opportunities but have also played on the bigger stage who will do ok against the likes of a CJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the toros just got a true point guard on cory joseph. i think he is going to replace tony parker on a few years.

Thread Information