Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly think White has way higher ceiling than Hill, way higher. Easily he is the best defensive guy out there now and still improving. His confidence with finding his shots will just get better. He’s pushing the tempo in transition offense, the reason I guess he fights for rebounds, albeit competing with Poeltl on one possession that lost the ball. But in retrospect I now understand why the focus on rebounding, to force the transition offense. I like this guy a lot and his hard work is showing dividends.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easily he is the best defensive guy out there
    Not saying much when the competish is Mills and Forbes. And even then, that's cos Murray is out injured.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked George Hill, but never got why Spurs fans liked him so much. White is better at passing and defending this early on in his career than Hill was that early in his career. His ceiling is higher than Hill's if he develops a consistent three point shot and starts finishing better near the basket.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked George Hill, but never got why Spurs fans liked him so much. White is better at passing and defending this early on in his career than Hill was that early in his career. His ceiling is higher than Hill's if he develops a consistent three point shot and starts finishing better near the basket.
    Currently, Hill has a career 38 3FG to 34 3FG for White; and people thought that was a weakness in GH's game, tbh.

Also, I just think Hill is/was a more proficient scorer. He came out of college as a four-year player when few were that seasoned. We knew he was polished already. White may or may not get there; for now, he's a poor man's George Hill though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty impressed w White lately. Now that he's not playing like a scared rabbit anymore. Used to think he was pitiful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    idk, but he will be better than Joseph, though I think Brogdon would be a guy I'd like to compare because I believe they're close at the game level

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is better than George Hill.

He's bigger, better handles, better court vision and can shoot better.

Since Joseph was mentioned, yes, he's better that him too.

Longer. better handles better court vision and can shoot better.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did White dropped to the Spurs in the draft?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wins are starting to come bc defense is improving. Defense is improving bc we finally have a big/wing/guard defender. Poeltl/Bertans/White

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly think White has way higher ceiling than Hill, way higher. Easily he is the best defensive guy out there now and still improving. His confidence with finding his shots will just get better. He’s pushing the tempo in transition offense, the reason I guess he fights for rebounds, albeit competing with Poeltl on one possession that lost the ball. But in retrospect I now understand why the focus on rebounding, to force the transition offense. I like this guy a lot and his hard work is showing dividends.

Agree. White got NBA All-Defensive potential. The guy is defending players like Harden and Lou Williams well. Those are All-Stars, Harden is the MVP matter of fact. Really curious how he will do against Kyrie. Since the Denver game he has found some aggression in his game and it only makes him better. I think he will be better than Hill was

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is a 24 year old rookie who play most of his varsity time in the division II of NCAA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was that Hill's fault? I remember when fans wanted to trade Parker and keep Hill.
    Um, the team would have one less championship with Hill instead of TP. Anyone asking for that move was an idiot plain and simple.

Yup. And a not far removed from MVP talk Parker at that. People here really forgetting how things were....
    Context: Tony was coming off an injury plagued season and put up some of the worst numbers of his career (during his physical peak) while Hill was overachieving and some people (falsely) thought he had all-star potential.

I think the front-office made the right decision and if White can become a solid pro like Hill that is a good thing. I do think his bigger frame, superior handles, better passing and more consistent (at a similar age) defense makes the one - to - one comparison inaccurate.

Also, White is a far more natural PG while Hill (like Forbes & Mills) is a SG trapped in a PG's body.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't get a scholarship in a division I school. He eventually got into a division I school but played only one year.

So his path to success hasn't been traditional. He's a late bloomer.

Being a late bloomer, it is taking a while for his body to become strong enough for higher level play. I think with more weight and strength (like Forbes), he's going to be a very good player.

Also, people who are late bloomers tend to be a lot smarter than average.

Hill also took a while in college but he made progress in the years he was as a Spur. I think his peak was when he was in Indiana, that's where he finally learned how to shoot the 3.

White is actually a very good 3 point shooter, what surprises me is how good he has become on defense. He's got uncanny quickness and anticipation. Watch his steals, it's like, how did he figure out to get where he's at so quickly? It's just uncanny.

I mean 6 steals against Denver? How does that happen?
    Last edited by ceperez; 12-30-2018 at 09:45 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um, the team would have one less championship with Hill instead of TP. Anyone asking for that move was an idiot plain and simple.

Context: Tony was coming off an injury plagued season and put up some of the worst numbers of his career (during his physical peak) while Hill was overachieving and some people (falsely) thought he had all-star potential.

I think the front-office made the right decision and if White can become a solid pro like Hill that is a good thing. I do think his bigger frame, superior handles, better passing and more consistent (at a similar age) defense makes the one - to - one comparison inaccurate.

Also, White is a far more natural PG while Hill (like Forbes & Mills) is a SG trapped in a PG's body.
    Most were assuming they could get a top 5 pick for TP at that time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember when fans wanted to trade Parker and keep Hill.
    I remember when you had solid takes on here. LOL, JK, I don't remember.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We knew he was polished already. White may or may not get there; for now, he's a poor man's George Hill though.
    Nobody knew who Hill was coming out of IUPUI, and certainly no one had great expectations for Hill coming from such a small school.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He only played one year at the D1 level, so most teams weren’t sure what he was.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't get a scholarship in a division I school. He eventually got into a division I school but played only one year.

So his path to success hasn't been traditional. He's a late bloomer.

Being a late bloomer, it is taking a while for his body to become strong enough for higher level play. I think with more weight and strength (like Forbes), he's going to be a very good player.

Also, people who are late bloomers tend to be a lot smarter than average.

Hill also took a while in college but he made progress in the years he was as a Spur. I think his peak was when he was in Indiana, that's where he finally learned how to shoot the 3.

White is actually a very good 3 point shooter, what surprises me is how good he has become on defense. He's got uncanny quickness and anticipation. Watch his steals, it's like, how did he figure out to get where he's at so quickly? It's just uncanny.

I mean 6 steals against Denver? How does that happen?
    +1

his stock rised during predraft workouts, scrimmage .... 2-3 weeks before the draft he was just a mid/late second rounder.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White, 6 steals in Denver

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think White could be even better than I expected. I didn't think he'd be a defensive plus, certainly not this early. I knew his court vision was surprisingly good. His scoring will come around.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is a 24 year old rookie who play most of his varsity time in the division II of NCAA.
    Let that sink in for everyone, he played 3 years in Division II.

In contrast, Bryn Forbes (who was not drafted) played 4 years in Division I.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let that sink in for everyone, he played 3 years in Division II.

In contrast, Bryn Forbes (who was not drafted) played 4 years in Division I.
    Are you saying that's good or bad? He grew five inches in college. He grew two inches his last year of high school.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you saying that's good or bad? He grew five inches in college. He grew two inches his last year of high school.
    I'm saying how remarkable his growth has been.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm saying how remarkable his growth has been.
    Agree. I do think he's always had a good knack for basketball. He's the rare player who grew into an NBA body as he went.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is better than George Hill.

He's bigger, better handles, better court vision and can shoot better.

Since Joseph was mentioned, yes, he's better that him too.

Longer. better handles better court vision and can shoot better.
    I wouldn't say White is longer. George Hill has a 7 foot wingspan, White only has a 6'7" wingspan.

Thread Information