Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean the time to get rid of all our vets is now. None of them are staying past this year anyways so you might as well get something for them. But I am very nervous about this being in the hands of a rookie GM. I'm already seeing other teams make deals and yet nothing from our end. It's very worrying.
    It isn't in Wright's hands. I'm sure he'll have a say but the prevailing voice will be the old man and how willing he is to set this team up for a good future or sabotage all that because of his selfishness. We'll see tbh.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are a lottery team regardless. They should be trying hard to tank this year. To that end, keeping demar around for another year might be the best outcome. No one can sabotage the Spurs' chances of winning like demar can.
    Especially in a contract year!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The disgusting thing is that there will be a lot of losers on the board that won't have any problem with the Spurs running that garbage squad back and not getting any value in return when the vets just leave anyways, whether it's at the end of next season or via buyouts mid-season.

I guess it's a small market fanbase mindset but I just can't fathom how fans actually embrace NBA purgatory

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7.5 million under tax now. Won't be enough to resign Poeltl without going into luxury tax.
    They have enough room for Poeltl. They're not even that close to the tax line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No not as most expected Some people said he had a chance of opting out regardless. Now i think he's going to play out this season and leave for nothing next year.
    Once the league shut down for COVID and the finances went to , there was zero chance he was leaving $27M on the table.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still opting in before the draft makes me think something is up. I’m fine bringing him back. He was good in the bubble. Good mentor and teammate.
    Meh the bubble was a preseason to the top 7 seeds in each conference.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once the league shut down for COVID and the finances went to , there was zero chance he was leaving $27M on the table.
    That's pretty much what I figured as well. Heck even before COVID, I didn't think he'd opt out; I didn't think he was seeing $27M for a year in FA...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    this is good news... just gotta find a home for him now...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is my favourite Spur at the moment. Glad I get to cheer for him for another season.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Especially in a contract year!
    Holy , I didn't even consider that. Keep DeMar at all costs. Number 1 pick, here we come

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still not expecting much, but this is the first domino that had to fall to make anything else possible.

If he had opted out, the Spurs get nothing. If he waited until Thursday to opt-in, the draft market would be off the table.

Hopefully the Spurs are working the phones tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still not expecting much, but this is the first domino that had to fall to make anything else possibly. If he had opted out, the Spurs get nothing. If he waited until Thursday, the draft market would be off the tables.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still not expecting much, but this is the first domino that had to fall to make anything else possible.

If he had opted out, the Spurs get nothing. If he waited until Thursday to opt-in, the draft market would be off the table.

Agree hopefully we can work on some trades and get some draft picks for Derozz, LMA, Mills......

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have enough room for Poeltl. They're not even that close to the tax line.
    They are at 125 million without poeltl. Murray extension + 4 mil from 11th pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes! I get one more season run out of this DeRozan jersey!

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, all the trade talk is a ruse to lower his value so we can look him up for a team friendly contract. Only $21 million per year for four more years!

Joking?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are at 125 million without poeltl. Murray extension + 4 mil from 11th pick.
    That's including Metu and Lyles. They have room with Poeltl, who isn't going to get the contract you're concerned he's going to get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's including Metu and Lyles. They have room with Poeltl, who isn't going to get the contract you're concerned he's going to get.
    I've learned not to argue with Chinook about capology.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've learned not to argue with Chinook about capology.
    I mean, he's not wrong that it's going to take some finagling to make it work. He's a little wrong in that even with Lyles and Chim on the roster, the Spurs are only at $123 Million, but I've been saying for a while now that the Spurs won't have infinite flexibility with this stunted cap. I'm looking at Poeltl's first-year cap hit at around $7 Million. So adding him on and waiving Metu gives the Spurs just over $4 Million in cap space with 12 roster spots filled. That's doable if the team signs 41, Eubanks and another vet min. They could even sign a couple for guaranteed money and let them battle it out in camp.

But it's not enough to use the MLE or to take on Wiggins and 2 for LMA and 11. The Spurs don't need to worry about saving money on LMA or DMDR trades, but they also can't take on too much without compensating for it somewhere else.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am assuming it's better for Demar to opt in and be traded this year, and then be a free agent next year if it comes to that (he doesn't get an extension?)? Would more teams have money to offer him next off-season? Also, when is the deadline for an extension?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am assuming it's better for Demar to opt in and be traded this year, and then be a free agent next year if it comes to that (he doesn't get an extension?)? Would more teams have money to offer him next off-season? Also, when is the deadline for an extension?
    Next off-season is one of those free-agent bubbles like 2010 was. So yes, a lot of teams will have the space to offer him money who may not be willing to do so this year since they want to see if they can lure Kawhi or PG or whomever else.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next off-season is one of those free-agent bubbles like 2010 was. So yes, a lot of teams will have the space to offer him money who may not be willing to do so this year since they want to see if they can lure Kawhi or PG or whomever else.
    That sounds like a recipe for teams to overpay FA's and screw up their futures... using our future cap space now to acquire assets makes even more sense long term.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It all depends on what they can get for him and judging by the Lakers offer i dont think they can get much and my gut feeling is that they won't trade him, he will re-sign. It is what it is.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, he's not wrong that it's going to take some finagling to make it work. He's a little wrong in that even with Lyles and Chim on the roster, the Spurs are only at $123 Million, but I've been saying for a while now that the Spurs won't have infinite flexibility with this stunted cap. I'm looking at Poeltl's first-year cap hit at around $7 Million. So adding him on and waiving Metu gives the Spurs just over $4 Million in cap space with 12 roster spots filled. That's doable if the team signs 41, Eubanks and another vet min. They could even sign a couple for guaranteed money and let them battle it out in camp.

But it's not enough to use the MLE or to take on Wiggins and 2 for LMA and 11. The Spurs don't need to worry about saving money on LMA or DMDR trades, but they also can't take on too much without compensating for it somewhere else.
    Yeah they can maybe squeeze 8.2 mil , with signing 2 0 year minimum contracts to get the roster to 14. Only rostering league minimum 13 would probably get the team backlash from the NBPA. If we wave Metu and replace him with a 0 year minimum contract then it would take it to 8.9 mil.

The GS trade is the same , trade takes us to the edge of the tax. We have to renounce Jakob and sign 0 year minimum guys.
    Last edited by rankingtear; 11-16-2020 at 08:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah they can maybe squeeze 8.2 mil , with signing 2 0 year minimum contracts to get the roster to 14. Only rostering league minimum 13 would probably get the team backlash from the NBPA. If we wave Metu and replace him with a 0 year minimum contract then it would take it to 8.9 mil.
    By my math, it's 125.8 million minus Metu and Zeller, but including Lyles, the $4 million salary for the 11th pick and the Poeltl's $5 million qualifying offer.
    It seems like they should be fine, baring a trade that would clear out additional salary.
    Last edited by cd021; 11-16-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Thread Information