Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So this is what being a fan of a mediocre basketball team is like.....

Pretty much. Some nights they'll look great (eg the New Orleans game) and then others they'll get destroyed by a seemingly weaker team. Inconsistency is the hallmark of mediocre teams.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We might end up tanking without meaning to tbh. Getting a top 5 pick to play with LMA and DDR?? CIA pop
    Dont be fooled . His old ass believes he can coach any team to a top seed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not a good sign when patty mills has been the consistent source of hustle for the team. and rudy gay is evidently far more important to this team than i would have thought. i expect things to get even worse here pretty soon. is it too soon to start tanking?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    t has also become clear that Pop needs to do a better job of staggering DeRozan and White. Those are the only two playmakers on the team so one should always be on the court.
    He's not staggering them at all. White is leaving the game while DeRozan is still playing and coming in when the rest of the starters return. It's like Pop WANTS the Forbes/Mills combo and has to be convinced to not use it. It's not surprising that DeRozan and White can both seem to be on track at once. To update the trends, White has played 85/101 minutes with DeRozan. That's actually a decrease compared to the last report, but most of that has to do with the garbage time that the team had to end the game. I really just don't know what Pop wants from White. It's been clear for a few years that Pop has been trying to create a multi-PG offense where you have guys attacking from multiple positions and being able to play off each other. He wanted that to be the Kidd/Parker back court in 2003, for example. More recently, Pop ran with Parker/Ford in 2012 and the Joseph/Neal/De Colo lineups in 2013. He also pursued Chris Paul and Kyrie Irving and was rumored to be interested in Conley knowing full well he intended to keep Parker at PG. Finally, even last year, Pop ran Mills/Murray at the earliest opportunity.

On paper, the idea of White and DeRozan sharing the play-making load seems great. But DeRozan is not an off-ball player, and White hasn't been shooting well either. Moreover, the two don't seem to have any chemistry with each other to determine who gets what possession. DeMar is a better scorer and play-maker, but I think White is a better PG. That makes it hard to see who should be the lead facilitator. The easy answer to this is that they can stagger them to have both, but Pop seems completely unable to start a guy without playing him almost exclusively against starters. We had a tweet the other day that bragged on Pop keeping one of the team's top-four players on the court at once. Like that was an accomplishment. You're talking about a quartet that averages 124 mpg. It'd be a bigger accomplishment to find minutes where none of those guys are on the floor. With those minutes, Pop should be able to keep two on the court at all times, and as White plays more minutes, that should be even easier.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades Timvp. This was a hard pill to swallow and don't even know where to begin. I agree Demar and White's minutes need to be staggered. I thought Demar was beasting it earlier in the season with the primary facilitator. Why fix if it's not broken? White should play off the bench, bring spark and continue the flow on the 2nd unit. LMA also needs to be hungry. Last year he got fed over and over and delivered being the only one that the Spurs could count on. Bellinelli is just an awful shot when things are not going their way. I cringe every time he curls and make those 3 shots moving. But I guess shooters just need to shoot to open up the lanes, except the guards are not long and athletic enough to transition defense, and ends up with demoralizing dunks at the other side.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    0 pts are above average score
    16 pts are below average score

Such inconsistent grades ... Considering all other aspects. Not just points which I mentioned as an example.

Overall though - it's a good read

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was at this game. Easily the worst game I’ve ever seen live. There’s a lot to critique but I put it all on Aldridge, his slow start set the tone for the game. He’s been a s of himself, it feels like he’s doing the Shaq get in shape during the season approach. The only bright spot of the game was listening to a drunk Spurs fan yell “pussy” every time LMA touched the ball. At least I wasn’t alone in my pain.

thanks for the grades.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was at this game. Easily the worst game I’ve ever seen live. There’s a lot to critique but I put it all on Aldridge, his slow start set the tone for the game. He’s been a s of himself, it feels like he’s doing the Shaq get in shape during the season approach. The only bright spot of the game was listening to a drunk Spurs fan yell “pussy” every time LMA touched the ball. At least I wasn’t alone in my pain.

thanks for the grades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not staggering them at all. White is leaving the game while DeRozan is still playing and coming in when the rest of the starters return. It's like Pop WANTS the Forbes/Mills combo and has to be convinced to not use it. It's not surprising that DeRozan and White can both seem to be on track at once. To update the trends, White has played 85/101 minutes with DeRozan. That's actually a decrease compared to the last report, but most of that has to do with the garbage time that the team had to end the game. I really just don't know what Pop wants from White. It's been clear for a few years that Pop has been trying to create a multi-PG offense where you have guys attacking from multiple positions and being able to play off each other. He wanted that to be the Kidd/Parker back court in 2003, for example. More recently, Pop ran with Parker/Ford in 2012 and the Joseph/Neal/De Colo lineups in 2013. He also pursued Chris Paul and Kyrie Irving and was rumored to be interested in Conley knowing full well he intended to keep Parker at PG. Finally, even last year, Pop ran Mills/Murray at the earliest opportunity.

On paper, the idea of White and DeRozan sharing the play-making load seems great. But DeRozan is not an off-ball player, and White hasn't been shooting well either. Moreover, the two don't seem to have any chemistry with each other to determine who gets what possession. DeMar is a better scorer and play-maker, but I think White is a better PG. That makes it hard to see who should be the lead facilitator. The easy answer to this is that they can stagger them to have both, but Pop seems completely unable to start a guy without playing him almost exclusively against starters. We had a tweet the other day that bragged on Pop keeping one of the team's top-four players on the court at once. Like that was an accomplishment. You're talking about a quartet that averages 124 mpg. It'd be a bigger accomplishment to find minutes where none of those guys are on the floor. With those minutes, Pop should be able to keep two on the court at all times, and as White plays more minutes, that should be even easier.
    It really boggles my mind that the guy that would sub Manu at the 6 minutes mark to have him come back when Tony and Duncan would sit, can't seem to do anything else than swap the entire starting and bench units at once nowadays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Staggering White and DD is BASIC. Like that's a coaching move Becky can throw out there. So is knowing not to play a lineup of Patty/Forbes/Beli/QPon/Poetl . That is basic, basic coaching that any of the fatties on this board could come up with....

But it's a concept completely lost on the old man. He probably thinks he's trying to build up the bench by throwing them into the fire, at least I hope so. That might not even the case anymore since Pop is so out of touch. Still, you can't afford to be throwing away games to the likes of Orlando, Sacramento, and Phoenix because arrogance is driving your rotations.

Such a joke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks timvp.

I wouldn't be that nice assessing the good guys. Not only yesterday but over the last games:

DeRozan is starting to show signs of the bad defense name that preceded him. He often loses sight of his man, allowing cuts. He doesn't have the good habit of helping out inside against penetrations. His on-ball defense is OK in both isos and p&r situations but he's not quick and crafty enough closing out. Looks like he's trying to do it all and he did better at the beginning of the season, but lately he's losing his focus.

LaMarcus Aldridge doesn't look in good shape to me. It's not about conditioning but about general quickness. In contrast to last season, his defensive versatility is gone. He's losing every consecutive effort under the boards and he's 0.5 seconds late in every defensive action and attacking in the post. His mid range shot has regressed to 2016/17: no touch, no confidence. And his lift isn't here either. I see LA pushing and working but looks like the summer homework hasn't been done.

Marco's performance is really disappointing. We knew he wasn't helping in D but we expected him to make his shots. He's having good opportunities but his % are bad.

Gay is not as healthy as needed. Desperately needed.

White is learning by doing, Mills is doing what he can do and Forbes is playing much better than expected but that doesn't mean that this is good enough for 65' of guard rotation in a playoff team.

Cunningham can be useful guarding all-star forwards but in a different situation, his poor offensive game subtracts from the team more than what he adds.

Poetl is way softer than expected. He touches but doesn't grab a lot of rebounds. He's not protecting our rim at all when that is his #1 duty. He isn't either looking well defending away from the paint. Offensively he has played 1 decent game of the 13 the team has played. I'd be patient if he was showing more fight on the court.

Gasol is having a good year with his 15' coming off the bench. Salary doesn't match his on-court relevance and there is no cheap contract that balances this situation.

Pondexter looks too old and Metu too inexperienced.

Pop had a good start of the season but his team is losing more and more games and playing worse as the season advances.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Aldridge can't play with a second star he needs to be traded to an also-ran team so he can thrive. He looked sad as fvck last night. It pisses me off how he refuses to be a complimentary player...didn't TD teach him anything?? Timmy was a force even when he was the 4th option on offense late in his career.

It's also obvious this team needs a floor general. Losing Murray and not having a credible backup is really hurting this team. White is awful right now with the exception of 1 decent game. The Spurs looked directionless if DeRozan wasn't creating for himself.

Yuck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to go back to running it all through DeRozan and put the designated point guard off ball. We're better just letting Forbes be out there as a shooter, rather than White fumbling around like a high schooler. Our best distributor, sadly, is Gasol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks timvp.

I wouldn't be that nice assessing the good guys. Not only yesterday but over the last games:

DeRozan is starting to show signs of the bad defense name that preceded him. He often loses sight of his man, allowing cuts. He doesn't have the good habit of helping out inside against penetrations. His on-ball defense is OK in both isos and p&r situations but he's not quick and crafty enough closing out. Looks like he's trying to do it all and he did better at the beginning of the season, but lately he's losing his focus.

LaMarcus Aldridge doesn't look in good shape to me. It's not about conditioning but about general quickness. In contrast to last season, his defensive versatility is gone. He's losing every consecutive effort under the boards and he's 0.5 seconds late in every defensive action and attacking in the post. His mid range shot has regressed to 2016/17: no touch, no confidence. And his lift isn't here either. I see LA pushing and working but looks like the summer homework hasn't been done.

Marco's performance is really disappointing. We knew he wasn't helping in D but we expected him to make his shots. He's having good opportunities but his % are bad.

Gay is not as healthy as needed. Desperately needed.

White is learning by doing, Mills is doing what he can do and Forbes is playing much better than expected but that doesn't mean that this is good enough for 65' of guard rotation in a playoff team.

Cunningham can be useful guarding all-star forwards but in a different situation, his poor offensive game subtracts from the team more than what he adds.

Poetl is way softer than expected. He touches but doesn't grab a lot of rebounds. He's not protecting our rim at all when that is his #1 duty. He isn't either looking well defending away from the paint. Offensively he has played 1 decent game of the 13 the team has played. I'd be patient if he was showing more fight on the court.

Gasol is having a good year with his 15' coming off the bench. Salary doesn't match his on-court relevance and there is no cheap contract that balances this situation.

Pondexter looks too old and Metu too inexperienced.

Pop had a good start of the season but his team is losing more and more games and playing worse as the season advances.
    Good reviews coach.

I appreciate timvp's efforts, my only real complaint is that I do feel he is too generous most of the time and somehow his grades don't match the performances I watched... but I figure he's a generous grader... I also appreciate reviews like yours.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, DDR and LMA were playing pretty well together, especially DDR, and making some progress, until our crafty coach decided to crap all over it by forcing DDR, and LMA, to play with both White and Forbes at the same time. It isn't playing with another star that bothers LMA, it's playing for a coach who constantly craps on his own team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop had a good start of the season but his team is losing more and more games and playing worse as the season advances....
    So look at what changed. Gay's out, yes, but also when White came back Pop moved DDR to play White and Forbes at the same time.

Thread Information