Page 94 of 110 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 2730
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good video of Poetl's impact on defense. Shows how Morant was less effective with Poetl in the paint than when Eubanks was in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good video of Poetl's impact on defense. Shows how Morant was less effective with Poetl in the paint than when Eubanks was in.
    Good video! Really backs up what I see in Poeltl's interior defensive presence. Oh, by the way, I watched that video on Vassell that you rec'd me the other day! Some pretty interesting stuff. I still don't buy into the hype of him being more than a high-end 3-and-D player in his prime, but I'd be glad to be wrong. Also, I'm working through those PM's... Time isn't abundant these days. Lol.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually like Jakob. And I think his skill set is what we need. But next year he will be a backup center and that’s more than we should pay for someone in that role. If LMA wasn’t around, then I think it makes more sense.

As for market value, I would say that it’s a quantifiable term but not especially helpful. The FO has a reputation for being smart, and so that typically means not getting sucked into a frenzy of throwing money at non-star free agents like the market does. Yes, every other team does this, but most teams do regrettable things. And I don’t see how people here can brag about the FO being so smart if they do exactly what everyone else does, at least in this situation.

Also, with the pandemic and the likelihood of plummeting income, this seemed like a time to be conservative and save that money for someone else. But maybe Caterpillars are selling like hot cakes?

In summary: they didn’t trade LMA, they signed Eubanks, and then signed Jakob. Those are three decisions all made around the center position. We now have 3 centers! And now we’re combing the scrap heap for combo forwards, our greatest need.
    I appreciate the FO’s loyalty to our players in general, and I understand the exponential learning curve it takes to play here, which is a challenge for most new players, but the FO needs to take a direction. Or better, and this is something they never do and we consider to be normal, but they communicate nothing to the fans as far as what direction we are headed. And so we speculate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually like Jakob. And I think his skill set is what we need. But next year he will be a backup center and that’s more than we should pay for someone in that role. If LMA wasn’t around, then I think it makes more sense.

As for market value, I would say that it’s a quantifiable term but not especially helpful. The FO has a reputation for being smart, and so that typically means not getting sucked into a frenzy of throwing money at non-star free agents like the market does. Yes, every other team does this, but most teams do regrettable things. And I don’t see how people here can brag about the FO being so smart if they do exactly what everyone else does, at least in this situation.

Also, with the pandemic and the likelihood of plummeting income, this seemed like a time to be conservative and save that money for someone else. But maybe Caterpillars are selling like hot cakes?

In summary: they didn’t trade LMA, they signed Eubanks, and then signed Jakob. Those are three decisions all made around the center position. We now have 3 centers! And now we’re combing the scrap heap for combo forwards, our greatest need.
    I appreciate the FO’s loyalty to our players in general, and I understand the exponential learning curve it takes to play here, which is a challenge for most new players, but the FO needs to take a direction. Or better, and this is something they never do and we consider to be normal, but they communicate nothing to the fans as far as what direction we are headed. And so we speculate.
    But Aldridge is more than likely gone in a season, so what's the difference and what was the alternative? Most of the quality C's either went to good teams and/or teams where they'd be guaranteed significant minutes. Good luck getting anyone of quality to sign the inexpensive, one year contract, to play about a third of a game, on a mediocre team, that many seemingly had their hopes up for.

Off the top of my head, only the Cavaliers, Rockets, Bucks, Knicks and Kings don't have three C's at the moment and obviously that can/will change. Meanwhile, most teams are "combing the scrap heap for combo forwards".

Hopefully Johnson being bigger/stronger isn't just a figment of our collective imagination and he can credibly defend most big wings.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am confused for months on end I was getting bashed for wanting old school Centers “If they can’t shoot they not staying in the league, If they don’t have a 3 ball game they are Dinosaurs” So what changed?

Either way I am OK with the signing with the understanding that Poodle is our backup Center for the next couple of years or at least until he can hit a wide open mid range or 3 ball shot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Aldridge is more than likely gone in a season, so what's the difference and what was the alternative? Most of the quality C's either went to good teams and/or teams where they'd be guaranteed significant minutes. Good luck getting anyone of quality to sign the inexpensive, one year contract, to play about a third of a game, on a mediocre team, that many seemingly had their hopes up for.

Off the top of my head, only the Cavaliers, Rockets, Bucks, Knicks and Kings don't have three C's at the moment and obviously that can/will change. Meanwhile, most teams are "combing the scrap heap for combo forwards".

Hopefully Johnson being bigger/stronger isn't just a figment of our collective imagination and he can credibly defend most big wings.
    This is cool. I unwittingly baited you into an optimistic outlook. Nice.

I’m ok with LMA and Eubanks next year given that LMA is still on the team. If the FO can finally trade LMA and DD off the team for a better future I’m ok with too. Jakob is a good fit but unproven for playing more than about 28 minutes a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was away and studying while the whole Poeltl debacle was going down, so I might not have all the context, but how is he overpaid? I thought his signing was just a bit above market value. Or did posters believe we were going to retain him at what, 5M? Especially seeing all the deals being signed this off-season, and taking into account Poeltl's projection into starting C beginning next season most likely, why would you say he's overpaid?

E: aside from that, agree with you. Building through the draft and internal growth will be the Spurs' best path to contention.
    Hope the studying going well mate, hard to concentrate on work at times with the draft/FA news coming fast through the week.

I can't echo the sentiments of all posters, but the concern about Poeltl's contract is more to do with the current construction of the roster and the potential implications going forward.
    There are certain "squeezes" bound to occur at various positions that are magnified further when player's such as Gay, Mills, DDR, LA and Poeltl project as one dimensional/one true position pieces on the court.
    All these players, except perhaps for Mills, are expected to occupy the court for at least 20-24 of the 48 minutes of court time next season. LA and Poeltl can no longer play together it seems; and we have a good indication of all the other player's listed and their abilities as we have watched them for 2+ seasons together.

Poeltl walking would have been devastating to the Spurs in the short term, especially next season; however if the Spurs are far from contending status, do the ramifications really impact the Spurs ability to contend (in say my earliest estimates), 3 years time?

It would have forced the Spurs to be creative in obtaining an abled replacement, most likely at the expense of another veteran occupying one of the said position via trade;
    also with the potential to acquire future assets (perhaps even one of the mul ude of 2020 picks that were available), cap space and valuable data on some of the young player's games going forward.

My biggest concern for this season: the Spurs finish as a top 3 seed in the West (very possible, I expect them to come out of the gates strong), yet are clearly not at a contender's level; miss out on a key lottery pick for next year, resign the veterans to one year deals (as they feel they are close to winning it all), decline further in 2022 - and some of the youngn's have walked as a result of mismanaged court responsibilities.
    That's very much a worse case scenario and TBF I actually like what the Spurs succession plan appears to be, but they have confounded me before.
    Marco, Brynn overplays - Dejounte/D.White not playing together 'til season was basically lost etc.

I think this is where some of the trepidation of the best of both worlds (contend/rebuild) plan comes into focus for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bobby Marks BobbyMarks42

Oklahoma City will create a $19.5M trade exception with the Danilo Gallinari sign-and-trade to Atlanta. The Thunder also have a $27.5M trade exception from the Steven Adams trade to New Orleans.
    6:40pm · 24 Nov 2020 · Twitter for iPhone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bobby Marks BobbyMarks42

Oklahoma City will create a $19.5M trade exception with the Danilo Gallinari sign-and-trade to Atlanta. The Thunder also have a $27.5M trade exception from the Steven Adams trade to New Orleans.
    they're gonna get even more picks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. This means he’s staying on the bucks. 2021 free agency looking not looking good for the spurs now. LBJ and AD are staying with LAL. Kawhitter and George are likely staying with LAC. The freak is staying with bucks. That leaves CP3, Holiday, Lowry, oladipo, gobert, DDR, LMA, Adams, Drummond, dinwiddie

Spurs having a ton of cap space won’t help much
    maybe they will go after DeRozan and Aldridge in Free agency

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Patty rubbing off on DJ? Look at that good teammate. Who says vets aren't important? Who says building character isn't important? Need more of that good vibes we have here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bobby Marks BobbyMarks42

wow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Patty rubbing off on DJ? Look at that good teammate. Who says vets aren't important? Who says building character isn't important? Need more of that good vibes we have here.
    A team that cares: Cares for each other and how they go about business can elevate talent to a degree.
    Talent is the true trump card, but giving a about each other and the team is what elevates everything.
    From the singular to the totality.
    2014 is the proof.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like it!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was one of those people who couldn't believe the Spurs took White over Bell. I came around pretty early compared to some STers, but it just seemed like the obvious need at the time. They did a good job there, though I think Bell has a career in the league still.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Marc Stein @TheSteinLine
    1m
    The Hawks and Bogdan Bogdanovic have been notified that the Kings will not be matching Atlanta's four-year, $72 million offer to the restricted free agent, league sources say Danilo Gallinari, Rajon Rondo, Kris Dunn and Bogdanovic to the Hawks in an eventful offseason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't love the Hawks' off-season. They signed a bunch of JAGs to long-term deals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope the studying going well mate, hard to concentrate on work at times with the draft/FA news coming fast through the week.

I can't echo the sentiments of all posters, but the concern about Poeltl's contract is more to do with the current construction of the roster and the potential implications going forward.

(...)
    Thanks for the well wishes. Interesting post. Yeah, I see the logic behind most of the criticism regarding Jak's contract - I just fundamentally disagree that the price he's being paid is so much above his market rate as to call him "overpaid". Especially when we know for a fact that he had at least 2 other teams making offers at him, besides the Spurs. I think a lot of posters don't really see what Poeltl brings to the table, nor how important he is to the rest of our young core. While losing him would definitely force the FO into more unconventional and "creative" ways, I don't think it would be a positive, nor his production easily replaced.

I also don't agree that the sentences "worse case scenario" and "Spurs finish top 3 seed in the West" can be strung together... Any scenario where the Spurs make the playoffs, let alone get a top seed, is an overachievement considering our current roster, and would probably only be possible by huge leaps from one or more of our young players. That's more of a best case scenario to me... But I doubt it happens. I'm also rooting for a timely tank next season - contending teams are mostly lead by versatile wings, and that's exactly what we're lacking - and what the top of the '21 draft is apparently made of. But I don't trust the Spurs to full-out tank, so we better hope DD and LMA show some game at the beginning of the season, and some underachieving teams get desperate, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't love the Hawks' off-season. They signed a bunch of JAGs to long-term deals.
    You're quite right, but they are certainly going to be an interesting team to pay attention to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only are they getting more picks but they can also absorb some bad contracts out there.... Chips aren't the only indicator of a Good GM. This guy is the Dumbledore of Nba Trades and manipulating the cap.... ing Presti... There wasn't some dude working for Sam that the Spurs could have courted..... a Presti Protege.... we ended up with Urkle from Detroit.......
    He has to be related to BOOOBFORD.....by marraige by adoption... sumthin...
    My ignorance may be showing, but... what is a "Dumbledore"?

Edit: Oh! Harry Potter. Makes sense. I've never watched the movies, or read the novels.
    Right on.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only are they getting more picks but they can also absorb some bad contracts out there.... Chips aren't the only indicator of a Good GM. This guy is the Dumbledore of Nba Trades and manipulating the cap.... ing Presti... There wasn't some dude working for Sam that the Spurs could have courted..... a Presti Protege.... we ended up with Urkle from Detroit.......
    He has to be related to BOOOBFORD.....by marraige by adoption... sumthin...
    Troy Weaver Sam Presti's protege is the GM of Detroit now, he drafted 3 unathletic players and gave 20 million to Jerami Grant and 9 million to Mason Plumlee and 4 mil of dead money for 5 years. LOL

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Adams is horrible. If he was even average the thunder would have won against the rockets. He literally did nothing except jog up and down the court.
    he struggled because he wasn’t used to a swarming, small ball defense.

and TBH, the refs weren’t used to it either. lotta missed calls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe they will go after DeRozan and Aldridge in Free agency
    Ha yeah. Wouldnt surprise me if the FO gave both of them deals similar to Hayward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also don't agree that the sentences "worse case scenario" and "Spurs finish top 3 seed in the West" can be strung together... Any scenario where the Spurs make the playoffs, let alone get a top seed, is an overachievement considering our current roster, and would probably only be possible by huge leaps from one or more of our young players. That's more of a best case scenario to me... But I doubt it happens. I'm also rooting for a timely tank next season - contending teams are mostly lead by versatile wings, and that's exactly what we're lacking - and what the top of the '21 draft is apparently made of. But I don't trust the Spurs to full-out tank, so we better hope DD and LMA show some game at the beginning of the season, and some underachieving teams get desperate, tbh.
    After San Antonio pushed Denver to 7 games in the 2019 playoffs, I believe the FO thought they would continue to ascend up the standings (perhaps a spot or 2) to put themselves in contention to win a 1st round series in 2020 and continue building from there.
    The attempted Morris signing suggested that was probably the case too.
    If they are treating the prior season as an aberration on the projected curve, could see them thinking they are a top 4 seed in West this year.

When you look at the major players in the West, apart from the Lakers, not sure the others got better and in some cases got worse.
    Some media experts project Portland as the 2nd best team in the West now.

I expect all our young players to improve, coupled with contract year motivations from several players (Mills went on record recently saying he has yet to peak); the rosters’ cohesion and together-ness etc. - and it could very well lead to a big year.

Under those cir stances, I wonder whether they are still entertaining trades, or are they thinking of resigning those players?

Not rooting for a tank per se, but I thought there would be enough data to suggest that a LA/DDR built team was not a long term winner.
    Poeltl is not a great fit with DDR and unplayable with LA.

Looking forward to the season though, here’s hoping the young guys start to push through in a way similar to the 2002, 2003 seasons.

Thread Information