My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s a lot of truth to that tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, Demar is a good guy and I didn't want to trash him, but if he's going to talk like that, well, that's too bad for him. Instead of choking in game 7 against the Nuggets, or even some of the earlier games that series, if you actually bothered to show up, people would have noticed. We could have won that series as that Spurs team was decent that year, but it's on you for doing what you always do in the playoffs. Again, last season he was great in the regular season, but pretty average in the playoffs. It's all on him. Maybe people would notice more if he showed up on the bigger stage. Should of traded your ass a lot earlier. Fact is, Pop turned you into a better player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    demar didn't say anything that was out of line or disrespectful. he praised pop and conceded that he learned a lot while playing under him. all he said was that he felt irrelevant playing in SA because the spurs weren't having any great success, which is absolutely true. he didn't bash the city or the market in the process. just his cir stances.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I care about is, with DDR likely gone, Lonzo Ball's continued injuries (out for the season again), Vucevic's decline, and Lavine's injury history and declining athleticism, that first is looking better and better. It's top 10 protected that year and top 8 protected the following 2 years, there's a very real chance it ends up a lottery pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn’t like we was on TV, we weren’t competing..”
    Translation please.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far that deal has yielded Malaki Branham.

What ever came of the 2022 CHI 2nd round pick that was included in the deal? Lost track.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What ever came of the 2022 CHI 2nd round pick that was included in the deal? Lost track.
    It is 2025 same year as the protected FRP. Too bad that first has protection. Bulls will probably back to the drawing board by then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It was a few deals that got us Branham, of which the DDR deal was the centerpiece:
    1. Got Detroit's 2022 1st by taking in Hutchinson
    2. Traded DDR for Thaddeus Young + Al Farouq Aminu + Chicago's 2025 1st (protected 10/8/8) + Lakers 2022 2nd + Chicago's 2025 2nd
    3. Traded Thaddeus Young + Eubanks + Detroit's 2022 2nd for Toronto's 2022 1st + Goran Dragic

Then we:
    1. Drafted Branham using Toronto's 1st (#20)
    2. Traded Lakers' 2022 2nd for Lakers' 2024 2nd (by drafting Kennedy Chandler and trading his rights to Memphis)

So essentially what we did is:
    • COST: S&T DDR (who was gone anyway) to Chicago and took in the expiring contracts of Hutchinson, Aminu, Young (half a season) & Dragic (half a season)
    • GAIN: Got Branham (Toronto's 2022 1st) + Chicago's 2025 1st (protected 10/8/8) + Lakers' 2024 2nd + Chicago's 2025 2nd

This trade was good then and turned out great. It's mind boggling to me how some people were griping about it back then (check the first few pages of this thread).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is 2025 same year as the protected FRP. Too bad that first has protection. Bulls will probably back to the drawing board by then.
    It's top 10 protected in 2025, and top 8 protected the following 2 seasons. They have to suck REALLY bad to fall within those ranges all three years... I'll take my chances they make it out at least once.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Request: can someone bump that original Kawhi for DeRozan deal thread? Maybe I’m dumb but i cant get search to work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think that'll be an issue when it's the Las Vegas Spurs in a few years tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    demar didn't say anything that was out of line or disrespectful. he praised pop and conceded that he learned a lot while playing under him. all he said was that he felt irrelevant playing in SA because the spurs weren't having any great success, which is absolutely true. he didn't bash the city or the market in the process. just his cir stances.
    Bingo!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a few deals that got us Branham, of which the DDR deal was the centerpiece:
    1. Got Detroit's 2022 1st by taking in Hutchinson
    2. Traded DDR for Thaddeus Young + Al Farouq Aminu + Chicago's 2025 1st (protected 10/8/8) + Lakers 2022 2nd + Chicago's 2025 2nd
    3. Traded Thaddeus Young + Eubanks + Detroit's 2022 2nd for Toronto's 2022 1st + Goran Dragic

Then we:
    1. Drafted Branham using Toronto's 1st (#20)
    2. Traded Lakers' 2022 2nd for Lakers' 2024 2nd (by drafting Kennedy Chandler and trading his rights to Memphis)

So essentially what we did is:
    • COST: S&T DDR (who was gone anyway) to Chicago and took in the expiring contracts of Hutchinson, Aminu, Young (half a season) & Dragic (half a season)
    • GAIN: Got Branham (Toronto's 2022 1st) + Chicago's 2025 1st (protected 10/8/8) + Lakers' 2024 2nd + Chicago's 2025 2nd

This trade was good then and turned out great. It's mind boggling to me how some people were griping about it back then (check the first few pages of this thread).
    I’ll simplify: we spent ~31mm in 2021-22 cap space for a 2022 FRP (Branham), 2025 Chi FRP, 2024 Lakers SRP and 2025 Chi SRP.

DDR could have walked to about 2-3 teams who actually had adequate capital or taken way less money so we didn’t exactly make lemonade out of lemons. He needed us to facilitate getting paid by a decent team.

That isn’t a great haul for 31mm in cap space and bird rights to a desirable, top 50 player who had limited options but we are probably about to get way less for 30mm in 2022-23 cap space so sometimes that’s just what the market dictates.
    Last edited by KingKev; 09-30-2022 at 01:30 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What he said was he's not over himself and needs attention to be happy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll simplify: we spent ~31mm in 2021-22 cap space for a 2022 FRP (Branham), 2025 Chi FRP, 2024 Lakers SRP and 2025 Chi SRP.

DDR could have walked to about 2-3 teams who actually had adequate capital or taken way less money so we didn’t exactly make lemonade out of lemons. He needed us to facilitate getting paid by a decent team.

That isn’t a great haul for 31mm in cap space and bird rights to a desirable, top 50 player who had limited options but we are probably about to get way less for 30mm in 2022-23 cap space so sometimes that’s just what the market dictates.
    I think it's probably closer to 30M, but that's not such a big difference. The key is, it was only one year's worth of salary we took back, and with that in mind, I think that was a pretty sweet return. Indeed we're unlikely to match that this year.
    EDIT: your original post read 35M, which is why I said closer to 30M

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's probably closer to 30M, but that's not such a big difference. The key is, it was only one year's worth of salary we took back, and with that in mind, I think that was a pretty sweet return. Indeed we're unlikely to match that this year.
    It was an appropriate return but the reality is they likely could have and should have moved him for more way earlier.

All this goodwill we are earning for being friendly to players, agents etc is getting us nowhere. Nice guys finish last.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was an appropriate return but the reality is they likely could have and should have moved him for more way earlier.
    Oh, I agree with that. Keeping DDR for 3 years wasn't a good idea, not so much because we could have gotten a better return for him earlier (which we likely could), but because it kept us in that mediocrity zone that set us back years. That was way worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, I agree with that. Keeping DDR for 3 years wasn't a good idea, not so much because we could have gotten a better return for him earlier (which we likely could), but because it kept us in that mediocrity zone that set us back years. That was way worse.
    I’m not mad if this years cap space goes for considerably less. It was the right strategy/plan IMO juat may not materialize to much. PATFO are slowly starting to right the ship but we can only waste salary cap for so many years before you have to find a new strategy. If after 3-4 years you have no player worth a max slot you need to reassess.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I see what you mean, but I think that 31m is skewed some by the Aminu contract, which was needed for matching. I’ve always seen the LAL 2022 SRP as the return for taking on that part of the salary, which turned out to by the 38th pick (an overpay but not bad). The Hutch for the DET pick was a damn good deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And Poeltl, and Keldon.

The SRP is in 2025, just like the FRP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, they just re-signed both DDR and Levine to big long contracts. We’ll get the FRP and SRP in 2025, first try.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, they just re-signed both DDR and Levine to big long contracts. We’ll get the FRP and SRP in 2025, first try.
    DDR signed for 3 years, which end in 2024, one year before the first opportunity to get that pick. He can extend, sure, but he'll be 36 by then. Lavine will be 30... they're one injury away from really struggling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That pick will def convey but I’m arguing the Bulls will be and it would be nice if it conveyed with limited protection.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR signed for 3 years, which end in 2024, one year before the first opportunity to get that pick. He can extend, sure, but he'll be 36 by then. Lavine will be 30... they're one injury away from really struggling.
    Agree. That team is trending dow. They’re just praying Williams becomes an All-Star and they can recoup value for Vuc. Both unlikely. The Ball injury situation is sad, and I feel Lavigne will be one of then next “unhappy stars.”

Relying on DDR as the top dawg is simply not winning basketball, never has been.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Request: can someone bump that original Kawhi for DeRozan deal thread? Maybe I’m dumb but i cant get search to work
    that one still hurts

Thread Information