Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    AT&T caps data usage with new wireless plans

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...ig.cspx?rss=68

NEW YORK (AP) — In time for the widely expected launch of a new iPhone model, AT&T Inc. is pulling in the reins on data usage by its customers with smart phones and iPads.

The sole U.S. carrier of the iPhone is introducing two new data plans, starting June 7, with limits on data consumption. They'll replace the $30-per-month plan with unlimited usage that it has required for all smart phones, including the iPhone.

One new plan will cost $25 per month and offer 2 gigabytes of data per month, which AT&T says will be enough for 98 percent of its smart phone customers.

A second plan will cost $15 per month for 200 megabytes of data, which AT&T says is enough for 65 percent of its smart phone customers.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i believe if you already have the $30 plan you can stick with it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/a...ethering-comi/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Trinity Tigers
    Yep, it's only new ppl who get screwed. And with 2+M units already being sold there are going to be a lot of new people following them getting hit.

I can only imagine how slow AT&T already poky network is in areas where there are lots of iPads sucking down data.

The only surprise about this deal is that it took AT&T this long to come up with it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Glad I have my $30 plan already.

00 06 12 13 20 21 32 44 5 bus driver's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    i have the 30 plan but only using the internet about $10 worth in a month

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    this is why i hate this sort of bs, in asia most of these plans are unlimited and cheap

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah, I'm probably not getting full use of my plan now but historically the new applications will continue to get bigger, better, and eat more bandwidth. Who knows how much bandwidth we will need/want in 5 years?

you fail at trollin' me TheMACHINE's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    2gb is good for 98% of its users?....too bad i cant figure out how much is 2gb in terms of smart phones. lol

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I know I'm not using 200 megabytes worth. I was at a time thinking I'd be interested in using my iphone for tethering. But they are still going to clip extra for that and realistically, a year later, I can't think of a situation where I would've needed it.

So CC, what kind of service to you get out there in the Marathon area? There's a huge dead area between Ft. Stockton and Van Horn, but I don't know how far that extends. I hear the actual Big Bend area is covered quite nicely. The Basin has wi-fi I would assume it's mostly because of law enforcement.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    2gb is good for 98% of its users?....too bad i cant figure out how much is 2gb in terms of smart phones. lol
    Well I'm a light user, meaning I don't use my phone for business, and my bill shows 100,003 kilobytes used.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i believe if you already have the $30 plan you can stick with it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/a...ethering-comi/
    I plan to.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

So CC, what kind of service to you get out there in the Marathon area? There's a huge dead area between Ft. Stockton and Van Horn, but I don't know how far that extends. I hear the actual Big Bend area is covered quite nicely. The Basin has wi-fi I would assume it's mostly because of law enforcement.
    I never lost coverage with ATT from SA all the way to Marathon out Highway 90. Got good coverage at the ranch since it's only 6 or 7 miles from Marathon.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    zero dollar data plan with wifi phone ftw!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    zero dollar data plan with wifi phone ftw!
    Too bad Wifi isn't available everywhere.

---

Seriously though, this move is total bull by AT&T. 200 megs of data is roughly 3 CDs of music. 2 Gigs is less than a full length DVD movie.

So now if you have an iPhone, a phone that basically begs you to take advantage of it's screen to buy applications and movies, you can no longer download certain types of content without monitoring what you're using? When the 4G phones are released through AT&T, you are going to be able to hit the higher $25 cap in less than 5 minutes of downloading. How stupid is this?

This makes me even more confident about switching to Sprint on Friday.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    dude, i bet att will break out the unlimited data again for the 4G...maybe 35, 40 bux a month...this is the precursor!

and wifi at work...wifi at home...i don't surf the net whilst driving...so i'm set!

what are all you people wasting your money for!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    dude, i bet att will break out the unlimited data again for the 4G...maybe 35, 40 bux a month...this is the precursor!

and wifi at work...wifi at home...i don't surf the net whilst driving...so i'm set!

what are all you people wasting your money for!
    The real question is why are you surfing the web on your phone at home or work? I don't surf while driving, but I do surf while away from my house.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The real question is why are you surfing the web on your phone at home or work? I don't surf while driving, but I do surf while away from my house.

touche, mon frere!

I'm really just ing round...people tend to have more out and about lifestyles than i do, and i cannot fault them for that!

but your are right, i got the laptop at work, sometimes i'm too lazy to lug it home with me though...so i use the phone to read news and spurstalk when the kiddo is watching cartoons or wifey is watching those damn home improvement shows...

i'm just one of those bas s that don't like paying 30 bux extra a month!

fuuuuck that !

Godbless you that do though!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They said this will only affect like 2% of users. If you go over, you get another 1Gb for like $10.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Too bad Wifi isn't available everywhere.

---

Seriously though, this move is total bull by AT&T. 200 megs of data is roughly 3 CDs of music. 2 Gigs is less than a full length DVD movie.

So now if you have an iPhone, a phone that basically begs you to take advantage of it's screen to buy applications and movies, you can no longer download certain types of content without monitoring what you're using? When the 4G phones are released through AT&T, you are going to be able to hit the higher $25 cap in less than 5 minutes of downloading. How stupid is this?

This makes me even more confident about switching to Sprint on Friday.
    The $25 plan is 2Gb, not 200Mb. That's like the $15 plan, and yes, it sucks.

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I have a $30 plan that has unlimited data and text bundled together. AT&T says that I have to have the $30 unlimited data plan coupled with the $20 unlimited text plan if I want a smart phone. They want to charge me $20 more to get the exact same I have now. Otherwise, a smart phone won't be "compatible" with my plan.

My brother has an iPhone. I threw my sim card in there and was using it without a single problem. ers just want more money.

I use quite a bit of data as I like to stream music off of YouTube when I hear a song that I don't have on my phone while I'm at work. I use some bluetooth headphones and just listen to music.

I don't know if it's 2 gigs worth of data but I'm using quite a but of data every month. Part of me was thinking of going back to Sprint because I can pay the same amount I'm paying now and I can get a smart phone. The problem I have is that I hate going through the process of switching phones when I can just pull out my sim card, put it in the new phone and keep going with AT&T.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    soon they will limit what we eat and drink...............

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Funny you'd post this. My internet is out because of the weather so I'm posting this now via tether from my iPhone.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sorry but 'Mind Controll' network won't allow another creative thought from a member unless you pay your account.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    this is why i hate this sort of bs, in asia most of these plans are unlimited and cheap
    YUP! Mine is not unlimited, but i get 12gb for around US$15.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    AT&T with an interesting bit of consumer relations here:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/a...lt-in-a-cease/

AT&T warns customer that emailing the CEO will result in a cease and desist letter

Sure, Steve Jobs might be a one-man email PR machine, but his pal Randall Stephenson at AT&T doesn't appear to be quite as gregarious -- as reader Giorgio Galante found out today, sending AT&T's CEO two emails in two weeks results in a phone call from AT&T's Executive Response Team and a warning that further emails will result in a cease and desist letter. What did Giorgio's emails say? The first was a request to bump up his iPhone eligibility date and a request for a tethering option, and today's outlined his displeasure with AT&T's new data rates and ultimate decision to switch to Sprint and the EVO 4G. That prompted "Brent" to call Giorgio back and thank him for the feedback, but also politely warn him that further emails would be met with legal action. Ouch. As you'd expect, AT&T just lost itself a customer. We've followed up with Ma Bell to find out exactly why they went the lawyer route instead of oh, say, filtering Randall's email -- we'll let you know what they say.

P.S.- Amusingly, Giorgio says he emailed both Randall Stephenson and Steve Jobs last year about offering tethering and actually got a response from Steve -- maybe these two CEOs need to talk about more than data rates and service quality the next time they meet up.

Thread Information