Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You sure? Because unless i'm missing something, the cop did not see him point anything out the window. Didn't he show up after someone called the cops? If that's the case you have to play the scenario anywhere from banana to bazooka.

He clearly knew at that point the guy could have only had a pistol at the most on him.
    But the room wasn't cleared.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The lesson here is that cops will almost always be acquitted of murder or manslaughter charges if they followed their training. It's the training that needs to be considered. There's a lot of subjectivity to "feared for my life". Did the cop fear for his life? Who knows, but neither the victim nor the cop did themselves any favors by their decisions that night, or how they got to that point.

The mixture of military with police is bad for a civilized society. This cop acted like he was in an urban assault situation. If he was genuinely scared for his life, then he should not have been a cop. He even basically stated he would shoot first, ask questions later. That's a military ROE approach, not a normal LEO approach. Cops suit up like it's Armageddon and they go in with the mindset that they are going to control the situation with force, and that particular asshole apparently couldn't wait to kill someone.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a society we still have different views on what the real purpose of the police is supposed to be.

Police in many places in Western Europe are really assigned to keep the peace by diffusing situations. Our police take a much more provactive role IMO. Our police are much more likely to escalate a situation from what I have witnessed elsewhere. And they have got to be able to take verbal abuse without reacting. They must be above these petty arguments they try to break up.

That being said, no way I want to be a cop in this country with the likelihood of facing an armed situation so high.
    Anyone on this board, wanna be a cop?

Wanna go into an apt. building where families have pulled guns on each other? And you have no flippn clue who is doing what.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a society we still have different views on what the real purpose of the police is supposed to be.

Police in many places in Western Europe are really assigned to keep the peace by diffusing situations. Our police take a much more provactive role IMO. Our police are much more likely to escalate a situation from what I have witnessed elsewhere. And they have got to be able to take verbal abuse without reacting. They must be above these petty arguments they try to break up.

That being said, no way I want to be a cop in this country with the likelihood of facing an armed situation so high.
    Anyone on this board, wanna be a cop?

Wanna go into an apt. building where families have pulled guns on each other? And you have no flippn clue who is doing what.
    Boohoo. Those cops.

Can anyone think of the cops?

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    But the room wasn't cleared.
    They weren't in the room.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The lesson here is that cops will almost always be acquitted of murder or manslaughter charges if they followed their training.
    They train people to shoot without provocation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ask the jury who saw the footage and the training.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They weren't in the room.
    Of course not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No excuse. Instead of yelling dumbass commands that made no sense and wasted precious time why weren't these cops following any kind of procedure? It would take a minute to tell this guy to turn around with his hands behind his head and walk backwards to a certain point and then kneel, cross his legs so someone can cuff him. The guy walking backwards with his hands behind his head would actually give the cops a human shield in case someone wanted to come out of the room blasting Instead this idiot cop wastes a ton of time yelling commands to a guy scared out of his mind and making him second guess every movement while constantly telling him he's gonna get shot. It's a damn shame how these cops are walking around in tactical gear looking like military men but don't appear to even have the most basic training. Hopefully the family has a wrongful death lawsuit going. Make these guys pay somehow.
    Because that obscures vision of the officers to the hallway leading to the room, and puts the perp in the line of fire. Dude didn't deserve to be shot, but he didn't exactly avoid it either. He was told multiple times to stop reaching behind his back, and yet what did he do? Exactly.

Who here doesn't know you don't reach behind your back when facing down the barrel of a cop's gun? If you don't know by now, you'll never learn.

Also, what military training do you have that you can judge whether or not these cops displayed any? Just out of curiosity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And now I also know why I keep the fake engineer on ignore.
    A complete whiff on Mr. Shaun King, the expert on 100s of videos.
    The Michael Brown case "investigative reporter" who got it all wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because that obscures vision of the officers to the hallway leading to the room, and puts the perp in the line of fire. Dude didn't deserve to be shot, but he didn't exactly avoid it either. He was told multiple times to stop reaching behind his back, and yet what did he do? Exactly.

Who here doesn't know you don't reach behind your back when facing down the barrel of a cop's gun? If you don't know by now, you'll never learn.

Also, what military training do you have that you can judge whether or not these cops displayed any? Just out of curiosity.
    Exactly. Which is why the cop asked about understanding instructions and inebriation. What must you ALWAYS do for the cop? Always let him have a clear unobstructed view of your hands and usually keep the hands well clear of your body.

And he was drunk and probably got very confused pulling up his pants. He might not even have realized what he was doing. If one does not know the cop's background, there is no way from that video you decide with confidence. That was clearly being taken by all as a very extreme edgy situation. Lots of unknowns to say exactly what the cop is thinking. "I must kill this guy, I want to kill this guy"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Shaun King's assessment of the video is funny.

Sadly I've studied 100s of videos of American police executing non-violent, unarmed people. This is one of the worst I've ever witnessed.

Ok...
    But Shuan is sad he has interpreted 100s of videos.

The same Shaun King that got The Michael Brown incident very wrong.
    Claimed he was black, and claimed he was severely beaten by a white mob. The same guy who by putting out false crap, makes the real thing seem less likely.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I was responding to another comment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Which is why the cop asked about understanding instructions and inebriation. What must you ALWAYS do for the cop? Always let him have a clear unobstructed view of your hands and usually keep the hands well clear of your body.

And he was drunk and probably got very confused pulling up his pants. He might not even have realized what he was doing. If one does not know the cop's background, there is no way from that video you decide with confidence. That was clearly being taken by all as a very extreme edgy situation. Lots of unknowns to say exactly what the cop is thinking. "I must kill this guy, I want to kill this guy"
    It was bad timing - overbearing cop meets idiot who decided being drunk and showing people his guns in a hotel room was a good idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I was responding to another comment.
    The engineer does.
    Disregard.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ask the jury who saw the footage and the training.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are begging the question.

The jury saw provocation even if you didn't. You don't have to agree with it, but it's not like the police department made the decision to acquit the cop, he was fired by them. The acquittal was by a jury. The cop and department can still be sued for wrongful death.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are begging the question.

The jury saw provocation even if you didn't. You don't have to agree with it, but it's not like the police department made the decision to acquit the cop, he was fired by them. The acquittal was by a jury. The cop and department can still be sued for wrongful death.
    That being the case, I watched the vid for a second time. Didn't see it the first time on my cel phone; but he does reach for an area where a gun could be stored. This cop was a ty cop who deserved to lose his job, though. And while he may be legally protected, there is no doubt in my mind that he is s .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That being the case, I watched the vid for a second time. Didn't see it the first time on my cel phone; but he does reach for an area where a gun could be stored. This cop was a ty cop who deserved to lose his job, though. And while he may be legally protected, there is no doubt in my mind that he is s .
    That's been established already. Too bad the "s " flag only trips when they kill an unarmed person on camera.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he had his mind made up the guy wasn't holding a rifle or a shotgun on him. He had a partner, the woman was cuffed, he could have cuffed him. Why on Earth did he feel the need to make him crawl towards him at that point? He could have tased him. So much why's. Balance of power has clearly shifted too much towards law enforcement. A fifteen minutes conversation with a power hungry cop is usually 12 minutes longer than needed to see that he shouldn't be in a position of authority.

I'm still not sure why since the cop has had training why your resorting to the judgement of some pool going hotel occupants to judge that situation. The deceased clearly looked scared less and flustered. Did the professionally trained civil soldier ever see a gun?
    Well, the pool guests weren't in danger. The guy was just drunk and had an air rifle. They should have kept their mouths shut and none of this would have happened.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not clear from the body cam, but the cop who shot this guy is NOT the one shouting the orders. That guy quietly retired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only the victim carried a gun for self defense. He coulda stopped the bad guy with a gun

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never try to pull your pants up in front of a cop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never try to pull your pants up in front of a cop.

Never settle for 1.5m if you can get 8.
    Last edited by DMC; 11-27-2022 at 02:41 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never settle for 1.5m if you can get 8.
    too little for what happened, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    too little for what happened, tbh
    Monetarily, if it's priceless then 1 cent is as good as 1billion.

Thread Information