Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This organization is so predictable. They're supposedly seriously contemplating throwing away a quality asset(s) (on top of the two recent 1sts in the garbage) due to a 14% chance (if they actually believe it's not rigged which of course they'd never let on because teams have to keep up appearances).

Yes, the Wembanyama types typically come in as starting 4's and play the 5 more so in a backup capacity, but 5 is the most over saturated position in the league. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a lesser Poeltl and it shouldn't matter considering it's not realistic to expect to be much better next season.
    There are no 'Wembanyama types'... he's really the first of this type...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are no 'Wembanyama types'... he's really the first of this type...
    Hybrid bigs. Duncan, (Pau) Gasol, Aldridge, Horford, Ibaka, Davis, Jackson Jr., Mobley, Holmgren, etc.

They're all better off as fives, both individually and team wise especially offensively, but all save Horford came in primarily playing the four.
    Last edited by TD 21; 12-04-2022 at 04:42 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hybrid bigs. Duncan, (Pau) Gasol, Aldridge, Horford, Ibaka, Davis, Jackson Jr., Mobley, Holmgren, etc.

They're all better off as fives, both individually and team wise especially offensively, but all save Horford came in primarily playing the 4.
    Different times.
    Unless it's some all-time great duo like Timmy-Admiral, twin towers will never happen in today's league.
    Just look at Minnesota (yeah, I know). They have the best rim protector in the league and the best stretch big in the league and it just can't work.

Imo, bigs these days should be separated by handles, not range.
    No handles = can't play PF in most lineups.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's still going all in on a 14% bet. The odds are probably as good or better that Kyle Filipowski will be wearing a Spurs' uniform next season rather than Wemby... which, honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to either.
    No its not, at all. This is not an all or nothing thing, their chances of being in the top 4 are much higher than 14% and while, yes, the best outcome is the #1, picking earlier in the draft obviously is better than picking later in the draft in terms of addnig the kind of player the Spurs need to be a contender again. And what exactly are the Spurs giving up? A shot at the play in game? The opportunity cost of trading away DJM and not being MAYBE the 9th or 10th best team in the west is well worth the draft picks they acquired in the trade and their increase in draft capital in this upcoming draft.

All in implies that if you don't get Wemby then you end up with nothing but that is obviously far from the truth, and best of all, the Spurs haven't really given up much of value to get into this position.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different times.
    Unless it's some all-time great duo like Timmy-Admiral, twin towers will never happen in today's league.
    Just look at Minnesota (yeah, I know). They have the best rim protector in the league and the best stretch big in the league and it just can't work.

No handles = can't play PF.
    I wasn't opining, just saying those types almost always come in primarily playing the four.

Two bigs are making somewhat of a comeback though, now that they've had ample time to adjust to this era, especially the younger ones who partially grew up in it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't opining, just saying those types almost always come in primarily playing the four.

Two bigs are making somewhat of a comeback though, now that they've had ample time to adjust to this era, especially the younger ones who partially grew up in it.
    Yeah, they were fours, but if they were drafted today, they would all be fives unless the team already has an elite big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it is awesome PATFO are working to get this franchise back to greatness. If VW likes to flash his dingaling I’m still drafting him but maybe that is just me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, they were fours, but if they were drafted today, they would all be fives unless the team already has an elite big.
    No, they'd primarily be fours to start off because right or wrong teams don't want their slender bodies taking the pounding of banging with the premier behemoths.

As I said though, in the long run they're all better off as fives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. Scoot being #2 is probably another encouragement for them to keep Poeltl. Anyway the Spurs will get a good player regardless. I still want them to aquire another pick in this draft, somebody good will fall with all the talent in there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ..." their meticulousness. Stories are told about how the Spurs keep open files for every professional basketball player dating back 30-plus years and how the franchise has a constantly updated list of potential replacements for each individual in the organization."

timvp can you get us a look at the Forbes File?
    I snuck a peek.

Still way off base...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've got a 14% chance. I'll look forward to learning about the other picks in the draft if we aren't so "fortuitous."
    14% chance? Don't forget the bonus points for getting consistently blown out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs dont get top 3 pick, will they compete next season, or just keep on tanking until 1st pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still gotta lose to Houston

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still gotta lose to Houston
    Yup. We’re going to win some games, probably the neighborhood of 20. We just need to make sure it’s not against bottom feeders. That’s a double gut punch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only 14% chance we even get him. Yikes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only 14% chance we even get him. Yikes.
    were not getting him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're getting Wemby boys, don't even worry about it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp's article, if true, is one of the scariest things I've ever read.

This is Hitler in the bunker moving around phantom armies type stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just hope these clowns don’t jinx us. I’d be happy with a top three pick. I’ll be upset if the Magic or Pusstons get it since they both just had #1 pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. Scoot being #2 is probably another encouragement for them to keep Poeltl. Anyway the Spurs will get a good player regardless. I still want them to aquire another pick in this draft, somebody good will fall with all the talent in there
    Yeah, I am greedy but definitely want another pick would even be happy with a high second round pick - I think even in this draft you can definitely get a NBA legit starter in the late teens, and very good bench player up even in the second round.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that both Pistons and Magic had a first pick and Rockets had two top-3 picks during the last two years may actually help us a little bit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp's article, if true, is one of the scariest things I've ever read.

This is Hitler in the bunker moving around phantom armies type stuff.
    Get with the times, old man

A generational type player is within reasonable grasp. You take every chance you get to position yourself the best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get with the times, old man

A generational type player is within reasonable grasp. You take every chance you get to position yourself the best.
    What the doers that have to do with my point?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I run sims on Tankathon, and we go backwards as much as we jump up in the mock draft. We’ve moved back into 3rd with the loss today, and I just had a sim drop us to 7th, literally the worst possible outcome. One in seven is a chance, but it’s not a good chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a generational player coming out. You're one of the 3/4 teams with the best possible chance to land him. And you're NOT supposed to plan ahead and position yourself as best you can because it may not happen? Jesus Christ almighty... some of you are funny.

Thread Information