Page 77 of 101 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 2513
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s not wrong. Assuming they give Lonnie the QO, looks like they have over 20M next summer too. Could be more if they waive a few guys.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The path the Spurs are taking seems pretty clear for me. They're going young and for a rebuild. Considering this Brian Wright did well in the offseason so far. Every player he's signed can be converted into picks at the trade deadline or in the offseason. Expect Young, McDermott, Forbes to be moved to contenders. Poeltl and White are also candidates for a trade.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Young is the only one they move. McD is already in photos as a Spur. Seems like part of the “family”. But we’ll see.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The path the Spurs are taking seems pretty clear for me. They're going young and for a rebuild. Considering this Brian Wright did well in the offseason so far. Every player he's signed can be converted into picks at the trade deadline or in the offseason. Expect Young, McDermott, Forbes to be moved to contenders. Poeltl and White are also candidates for a trade.
    If this comes to pass I will have huge respect for both PATFO for their masterful strategy and you for your keen insight. It would go against their long time methodology and I think you are wrong. I think Young gets moved, but McD and Forbes, nah. But hears hoping.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like your take. Opening some more cap space for 2022, while developing our young players, including a potential top 5 pick at Primo, and maybe a high pick next year.
    Last edited by John B; 08-13-2021 at 10:43 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott is not going anywhere. It's terrible practice to sign a FA only to flip him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think McDermott is going anywhere. To me, his signing was more about getting better spacing for the young guys to work in so we can develop and evaluate them. If we've finished that process at the deadline then maybe we move him but I expect it to be an all season process at least.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott is not going anywhere. It's terrible practice to sign a FA only to flip him.
    I don’t think so necessarily. I could see the player and team setting this understanding from the beginning. “We’ll pay you and get you to a winning situation if our rebuild plans stall.”

That’s essentially what OKC is doing with its vets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think so necessarily. I could see the player and team setting this understanding from the beginning. “We’ll pay you and get you to a winning situation if our rebuild plans stall.”

That’s essentially what OKC is doing with its vets.
    I agree. For now this is an NBA team that needs to score to show some compe ivenesd, and McDermont is a scorer. But everybody IS expendable, depending on who is on the other side of the table, maybe with the exception of Keldon, Primo (for now). Everybody’s on a nice movable contract. No Superstars to build around, yet. Spurs are developing players, collecting assets, while waiting for good opportunities, and saving up for 2022.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s not wrong. Assuming they give Lonnie the QO, looks like they have over 20M next summer too. Could be more if they waive a few guys.
    Yes but they should have done that last month.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Young is the only one they move. McD is already in photos as a Spur. Seems like part of the “family”. But we’ll see.
    The Spurs affirmatively sought McDermott out. Young was just one of a limited number of possible options coming back in a trade they had to make.

It's pretty obvious which is more likely to go (but I hope they keep them both).

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scouting for Austin maybe?

From my experience, every Summer League game had representatives from about 50 teams, NBA & foreign. If a team only had one scout, then that scout would be in either Thomas & Mack or Cox, often watching half of one game, then crossing over to the other.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes but they should have done that last month.
    Sure, but to be fair this was a craptacular free agent class. We can’t ignore that. Hopefully next year has better talent at the top.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This goes against the expert SpursTalk opinion that the offseason has been an unmitigated disaster, we suck and will suck eternally and everyone involved is dumber than a toddler (making them still slightly smarter than the average SpursTalk poster, but that's a low bar anyway).

The only possibly grievous mistake was not drafting Sengun, but we'll see. Primo could be great. The rest shows a clear direction going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This goes against the expert SpursTalk opinion that the offseason has been an unmitigated disaster, we suck and will suck eternally and everyone involved is dumber than a toddler (making them still slightly smarter than the average SpursTalk poster, but that's a low bar anyway).

The only possibly grievous mistake was not drafting Sengun, but we'll see. Primo could be great. The rest shows a clear direction going forward.
    I’m one with being disappointed with Primo’s pick. But I think they’ve scouted him with the highest ceiling, and fits the time frame. We’ve all been spoiled after 22 years of compe ive Spurs. Rebuilding sucks. But the smoke seems to be parting and I’m starting to see the plan. Still, it should be fun watching the youngsters run and play hard. It would be like Summer camp the whole season for these guys, proving who will stay and who gets the ax

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forget which other poster was discussing this but this is where my thoughts were with this off season.

Nothing to go shouting on into the streets about. But plenty of flexibility going into next off season to stretch out 20 to 30 mil in cap space in free agency and another potential lottery pick not a bad stance to be sitting in for the F.O.

The sour grapes of this off season is the Z Collins and Forbes signings.

My hope is the Collins is only guaranteed one year and partial it non guaranteed after the first year. Forbes signing well I just hope it is just a one year and considering the roster construction and injury history of white having him for roster depth to relegate LOAD management makes a little sense.

Overall, I'm excited to watch a team that doesn't have DeRozen or Gay taking up FGA and get to watch a younger collective of players at the reins.

It just won't be pretty a large portion of the time.
    Still I look forward to preseason and training camp it is just under 60 days away.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think we’re done in free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forget which other poster was discussing this but this is where my thoughts were with this off season.

Nothing to go shouting on into the streets about. But plenty of flexibility going into next off season to stretch out 20 to 30 mil in cap space in free agency and another potential lottery pick not a bad stance to be sitting in for the F.O.

The sour grapes of this off season is the Z Collins and Forbes signings.

My hope is the Collins is only guaranteed one year and partial it non guaranteed after the first year. Forbes signing well I just hope it is just a one year and considering the roster construction and injury history of white having him for roster depth to relegate LOAD management makes a little sense.

Overall, I'm excited to watch a team that doesn't have DeRozen or Gay taking up FGA and get to watch a younger collective of players at the reins.

It just won't be pretty a large portion of the time.
    Still I look forward to preseason and training camp it is just under 60 days away.
    details of the collins contract have been public since yesterday- it was never going to be fully guaranteed and I never understood the posters acting as if it would be

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lauri still a FA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what do you think we're looking at?

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. It’s never been the Spurs way to bring someone in only to disrespect his signing by flipping him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm trying to figure out what the hold up is on the Spurs announcing the deals for Forbes and Landale. There must be some scenarios on the table that the Spurs want to explore using whatever salary cap space they have left before they lock in their roster. From my calculations, they have ~$1.5 million in salary cap space. If they waive Eubanks (they have until Aug. 18 to waive him, it looks like), that gets closer to $3 million. They could possibly try to buyout and/or stretch the contracts for Hutchinson and Aminu to get a little higher.

It makes sense to explore all avenues before signing Forbes and Landale so it'll be interesting to see how long this takes. I doubt the Spurs are trying to sign someone else with the salary cap space they have or can create ... but I assume there are trades available that would become impossible once Forbes and Landale are locked in.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm trying to figure out what the hold up is on the Spurs announcing the deals for Forbes and Landale. There must be some scenarios on the table that the Spurs want to explore using whatever salary cap space they have left before they lock in their roster. From my calculations, they have ~$1.5 million in salary cap space. If they waive Eubanks (they have until Aug. 18 to waive him, it looks like), that gets closer to $3 million. They could possibly try to buyout and/or stretch the contracts for Hutchinson and Aminu to get a little higher.

It makes sense to explore all avenues before signing Forbes and Landale so it'll be interesting to see how long this takes. I doubt the Spurs are trying to sign someone else with the salary cap space they have or can create ... but I assume there are trades available that would become impossible once Forbes and Landale are locked in.
    The best avenue to explore before signing Forbes is pulling a Marcus Morris on him and telling him to go away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes it would be politically bad to do that
    Mr politically correct person

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs affirmatively sought McDermott out. Young was just one of a limited number of possible options coming back in a trade they had to make.

It's pretty obvious which is more likely to go (but I hope they keep them both).
    Right. Doesn’t sound like we’re disagreeing.

Thread Information