this thing is comprehensive af. a lot of mistakes made by FBI tbh

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

TSA seddddddd Steele was biased

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Shortly after opening the Carter Page investigation in August 2016, the Crossfire Hurricane team discussed the possible use of FISA-authorized electronic surveillance targeting Page, which is among the most sensitive and intrusive investigative techniques. As we describe in Chapter Five, the FBI ultimately did not seek a FISA order at that time because OGC, NSD's Office of Intelligence (OI), or both determined that more information was needed to support probable cause that Page was an agent of a foreign power. However, immediately after the Crossfire Hurricane team received Steele's election reporting on September 19, the team reinitiated their discussions with or and their efforts to obtain FISA surveillance authority for Page, which they received from the FISC on October 21. The decision to seek to use this highly intrusive investigative technique was known and approved at multiple levels of the Department, including by then DAG Yates for the initial FISA application and first renewal, and by then Acting Attorney General Boente and then DAG Rosenstein for the second and third renewals, respectively. However, as we explain later, the Crossfire Hurricane team failed to inform Department officials of significant information that was available to the team at the time that the FISA applications were drafted and filed. Much of that information was inconsistent with, or undercut, the assertions contained in the FISA applications that were used to support probable cause and, in some instances, resulted in inaccurate information being included in the applications.

https://www.justice.gov/storage/120919-examination.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the altered email we read about:

Omitted Page's prior relationship with another U.S. governmentagency, despite being reminded by the other agency in June 2017,prior to the filing of the final renewal application, about Page's paststatus with that other agency; instead of including this information inthe final renewal application, the FBI OGC Attorney altered an emailfrom the other agency so that the email stated that Page was "not asource" for the other agency, which the FBI affiant relied upon insigning the final renewal application;

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    TSA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the biggest error in the renewal application (report called it the most egregious)

Omitted the fact that Steele's Primary Sub-source, who the FBI foundcredible, had made statements in January 2017 raising significantquestions about the reliability of allegations included in the FISAapplications, including, for example, that he/she had no discussionwith Person 1 concerning WikiLeaks and there was "nothing bad" aboutthe communications between the Kremlin and the Trump team, andthat he/she did not report to Steele in July 2016 that Page had metwith Sechin;

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    thanks

this thing is comprehensive af. a lot of mistakes made by FBI tbh
    https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...general-report

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pretty significant imo

As with the first FISA application, we do not speculate whether orhow having accurate and complete information might have influenced the decisionsof senior Department leaders who supported the renewal applications, or the court,if they had known all of the relevant information. Nevertheless, it was theobligation of the FBI agents and supervisors who were aware of the information toensure that the FISA applications were "scrupulously accurate" and that 01, theDepartment's decision makers, and ultimately, the court had the opportunity toconsider the additional information and the information omitted from the firstapplication. The individuals involved did not meet this obligation.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    the altered email we read about:
    that is worse than what was initially thought

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

i'm skimming through the main report, dont have time to read the whole thing in one sitting. there were clearly a lot of mistakes made by FBI officials in the warrant applications tbh. its not surprising (but also not acceptable) that a law enforcement agency will take liberties in trying to successfully obtain a warrant that they want. i do think the proper purpose/factual predicate, and opening of investigation prior to Steele dossier does cut quite a bit into some of the big arguments we've heard all along, imo

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    woods procedures

We also found the quan y of omissions and inaccuracies in the applicationsand the obvious errors in the Woods Procedures deeply concerning. Although we did not find do entary or testimonial evidence of intentional misconduct on thepart of the case agents who assisted 01 in preparing the applications, or the agentsand supervisors who performed the Woods Procedures, we also did not receivesatisfactory explanations for the errors or missing information. In most instances,witnesses told us that they either did not know or recall why the information wasnot shared with 01, that the failure to do so may have been an oversight, that theydid not recognize at the time the relevance of the information to the FISAapplication, or that they did not believe the missing information to be significant.On this last point, we believe that case agents may have improperly subs utedtheir own judgments in place of the judgment of 01 to consider the potentialmateriality of the information, or in place of the court to weigh the probative valueof the information. As described above, given that certain factual misstatementswere repeated in all four applications, across three different investigative teams, wealso concluded that agents and supervisors failed to appropriately perform theWoods Procedures on the renewal applications by not giving much, if any, attentionto re-verifying "old facts." We recommend that the Woods Form be revised toemphasize to agents and their supervisors this obligation and to have them certifythat they re-verified factual assertions repeated from prior applications.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ever since his pizza gate investigation he hesitates to fully read even the absolutely worst sources. If orange guy could just keep from making the perfect phone calls, deflection would be unnecessary. Really, if we did not have such an astonishingly bad presidency, how Biden’s son became involved does actually show how important being around people connected with $ can be. Drain the swamp just fell off the cliff when the Trump clan and followers found themselves in positions to gain wealth. Orange guy used Hillary and Bill as an example of swamp rats and then made sure to exponentially contradict himself with Jared, his son, Rudy... it’s a long list.
    "he hesitates"

Eyup. He won't read things like the full Mueller report, because he knows that the propaganda he spews here is bull . I think that, in his head, it gives him some sort of plausible deniability for being able to say he is honest to himself.

The why of that... no clue. I have heard it posited that these theories get wrapped up in self-iden y, and form no small part of one's self-esteem, e.g. "I found the TRUTH, all these other people aren't as smart as I am, hahahaha!"

I am just about done taking him at all seriously. I think just about any serious conservative has long since given up on both the GOP and Trump, leaving only the rabid cultists to pat each other on the back at how red pill "woke" they are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TSA's MO is to start with an unbelievable conspire story he says he indeed doesn't believe, then when we laugh at it he starts throwing up link after link supporting the theory he says he didn't believe. The links get more and more insanely right wing, the articles get more and more laughable with claimed granular detail that makes TSA forget the first stupid overall conspiracy theory was and still is ridiculous on its face. This is how he ended up pimping a guy who claimed suspects were controlling the minds of alleged child abuse victims in the courtroom using tactics like Cat Stevens songs.
    Pretty much. When you assign credibility to cranks... you get up with fleas, at the mix of a metaphor.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    So pretty much all his theories are dead

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    role of steele dossier

When the CrossfireHurricane team first proposed seeking a FISA order targeting Carter Page in midAugust 2016, FBI attorneys assisting the investigation considered it a "close call"whether they had developed the probable cause necessary to obtain the order, anda FISA order was not requested at that time. However, in September 2016,immediately after the Crossfire Hurricane team received reporting from ChristopherSteele concerning Page's alleged recent activities with Russian officials, FBIattorneys advised the Department that the team was ready to move forward with arequest to obtain FISA authority to surveil Page. FBI and Department officials toldus the Steele reporting "pushed [the FISA proposal] over the line" in terms ofestablishing probable cause.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    may have posted about this before, but imo this is the biggest shot

We do not speculate whether the correction of any particular misstatement oromission, or some combination thereof, would have resulted in a different outcome.Nevertheless, the Department's decision makers and the court should have beengiven complete and accurate information so that they could meaningfully evaluateprobable cause before authorizing the surveillance of a U.S. person associated witha presidential campaign. That did not occur, and as a result, the surveillance ofCarter Page continued even as the FBI gathered information that weakened theassessment of probable cause and made the FISA applications less accurate.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that the FBI believed Steele had been retained to conduct political opposition research did not require the FBI, under either DOJ or FBI policy, to ignore his reporting. The FBI
    regularly receives information from individuals with potentially significant biases and motivations, including drug traffickers, convicted felons, and even terrorists. The FBI is not required to set aside such information; rather, FBI policy requires that it critically assess the information. We found that after receiving Steele's reporting, the Crossfire Hurricane team began those efforts in earnest.
    We determined that the FBI's decision to receive Steele's information for Crossfire Hurricane was based on multiple factors, including:
    ( 1 Steele's prior work as an intelligence professional for;
    (2) his expertise on Russia;
    (3) his record as an FBI CHS;
    ( 4) the assessment of Steele's handling agent that Steele was reliable and had provided helpful information
    to the FBI in the past; and (5) the themes of Steele's reporting were consistent with the FBI's knowledge at
    the time of Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 U.S. elections
    So basically the dossier was a fair starting point suggesting a need for follow up at the very least.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    So basically the dossier was a fair starting point suggesting a need for follow up at the very least.
    It wasnt the starting point of the investigation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FBI isn't getting out of this with their hands clean, at all.

but the "hoax investigation witchhunt" stuff doesnt get much traction

Thread Information