Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone give me examples of players who played poorly in the Summer League but became good NBA players?

McCaw is a good example of someone who performed well in the Summer League but not in the NBA.
    Tim Duncan didn’t play well in Summer League. Worked out pretty well for the Spurs. lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's fun to watch & make predictions/hope, but making a long term assessment of a 19/20 year old based on 2 or 3 summer league games is almost always impossible.
    Better to relax and just enjoy the game.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to seeing Jordan Nwora play this season, after an impressive stint as the best guy on the Nigerian Olympic team, decent advanced stats as a rookie, and a very nice summer league.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 08-11-2021 at 11:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sengun looking like a top 5 pick, this play is ridiculous lol. Also the Rockets had a uva draft this year, even the trades they made last year Kenyon Martin Jr is looking really solid as well and Kevin Porter Jr has potential. Not a bad group of extremely young prospects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i liked sengun and wanted him if available but it's also not a shock that he is doing so well in the summer league considering his background. the compe ion he's up against now is nothing compared to the turkish league. as chinook pointed out (with the patrick mccaw comparison), summer league is not a sure-fire metric (especially in regards to numbers or box score stats). i can say the same for pre-season (remember "sweet pea daniels"?).

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appreciate the examples everyone. I shouldn't have acted like every player is either dominant or terrible in SL either.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he was chosen to 2nd best team SL in 2018

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sengun looking like a top 5 pick, this play is ridiculous lol. Also the Rockets had a uva draft this year, even the trades they made last year Kenyon Martin Jr is looking really solid as well and Kevin Porter Jr has potential. Not a bad group of extremely young prospects.
    Sengun only just turned 19 and already has better handles as a big that some Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i liked sengun and wanted him if available but it's also not a shock that he is doing so well in the summer league considering his background. the compe ion he's up against now is nothing compared to the turkish league. as chinook pointed out (with the patrick mccaw comparison), summer league is not a sure-fire metric (especially in regards to numbers or box score stats). i can say the same for pre-season (remember "sweet pea daniels"?).
    Stop it. Sengun was not Pat McCaw, not before he got the league and not as rook in SL.

Also, I think Pat McCaw had talent, but he was a huge headcase who overrated himself instead of putting in work. He looked good in comparison to other guys his age, but he didn’t develop as expected…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop it. Sengun was not Pat McCaw, not before he got the league and not as rook in SL.

Also, I think Pat McCaw had talent, but he was a huge headcase who overrated himself instead of putting in work. He looked good in comparison to other guys his age, but he didn’t develop as expected…
    it's not a comp; it's a point about summer league. the league is not there to gauge stat lines. it is there to gauge what a player shows. to this point, sengun has looked good (as he did in turkey) and has apparently won you over. as i stated, i wanted sengun before. you weren't so sure. but you and many other ST posters love to use the performance of others to belittle the spurs picks but this is all knee jerk. sengun will be in the NBA for many years but whether he's a star or not is yet to be seen. primo will not be the early success that sengun will be but we have no idea what his actual ceiling will be.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So yeah, SL might not be a great predictor in general. But you can see skills, though obviously not consistency. That takes time. But Sengun is showing good skills. That’s definitely not indicative of something negative.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So yeah, SL might not be a great predictor in general. But you can see skills, though obviously not consistency. That takes time. But Sengun is showing good skills. That’s definitely not indicative of something negative.
    Sengun has skills-that's why i wanted him. and he will be a solid player for years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm surprised by the lack of talk about Tre Jones, he was pretty solid in his two summer league games.

Spurs don't have a superstar but he will be at least a really good back up PG imo. He is a good floor manager and his offense is pretty solid: finishing around the rim, mid range or shooting the 3 ( can be better but he can hit the 3).

I like what i saw for him.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sengun has skills-that's why i wanted him. and he will be a solid player for years.
    I know. Ugh. Rockets got Garuba as well, my other player of interest. Hey, if our one of young guys makes even a modest leap I will be thrilled. Thinking about Primo is too frustrating. Chinook suggested the Spurs can’t take Primo if he can’t get minutes over Tre Jones. I don’t see him getting minutes over Tre Jones anytime soon, but hey, we’ll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm surprised but the lack of talk about Tre Jones, he was pretty solid in his two summer league games.

Spurs don't have a superstar but he will be at least a really good back up PG imo. He is a good floor manager and his offense is pretty solid: finishing around the rim, mid range or shooting the 3 ( can be better but he can hit the 3).

I like what i saw for him.
    yeah, he was pretty solid last night. his assist numbers would have been better if he his teammates would be knocking down shots at a better clip.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, he was pretty solid last night. his assist numbers would have been better if he his teammates would be knocking down shots at a better clip.

+1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know. Ugh. Rockets got Garuba as well, my other player of interest. Hey, if our one of young guys makes even a modest leap I will be thrilled. Thinking about Primo is too frustrating. Chinook suggested the Spurs can’t take Primo if he can’t get minutes over Tre Jones. I don’t see him getting minutes over Tre Jones anytime soon, but hey, we’ll see.
    my hope is that landale will bring to the table what sengun may have, but perhaps more since landale is presently a better three-point shooter. and i like garuba as well. rockets definitely had a nice draft.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he was chosen to 2nd best team SL in 2018
    Most think that Trea Young disappointed in the Summer League.

https://www.nba.com/news/atlanta-haw...young-prospect

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even when Primo likely has a higher ceiling if he develops well, Tre is solid right now and looks readier to play. Well see what happens with Primo. I think he hasn’t shown how good of a shooter he is, because he’s pushed outside of his comfort zone (which SL is great for TBH), but in the RS, playing with other ballhandlers, he might look great and readier. I wouldn’t mind him at all getting time… but you know if he gets GLeague I wouldn’t be surprised either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo is 100% going to the G-league this year. To develop the wider skill-set the spurs want him to have (assuming they see him as more than a 3&D guy, pretty likely at 12), he's gonna need reps. He won't get those on the main squad, so G-league it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True but my Grandma is a better defender than Forbes lol.
    is she 6'5" and 250?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of teams missed on Sengun for some stupid reason. Too bad the Spurs did, too.
    funny how I was screaming for him for literal months prior to the draft.

edit: why?

because he could do a bunch of the things we were missing and do it from the paint. he's already an excellent passer. incredible footwork and finish from the post. great midrange game. great shot blocker. good rebounder. and with the potential to develop a very efficient 3 pt shot.

he's really just a nobrainer imo. especially given what the Spurs lack.
    Last edited by offset formation; 08-11-2021 at 07:57 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    poodle power is breathing easy now

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

edit: why?

because he could do a bunch of the things we were missing and do it from the paint. he's already an excellent passer. incredible footwork and finish from the post. great midrange game. great shot blocker. good rebounder. and with the potential to develop a very efficient 3 pt shot.

he's really just a nobrainer imo. especially given what the Spurs lack.
    And on top of all that ...

He's fun to watch!

He can play and he entertains.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing about the Spurs is that we are unlikely to get a superstar in a trade or in free agency, so we have to find one and develop one through the draft.
    That means taking home run swings every time. That also means a lot of strikeouts, but hopefully we get another KLeonard situation where we find a young overlooked talent that can grown into a star.
    Primo is that kind of pick. Samanic was as well.

Thread Information