-Shooting
    -Scoring volume
    -Remaining upside

Complete Dyson Daniels scouting report and Spurs outlook

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i love this player. Big defense, good playmaker, really nice touch offensively... needs to work on his shoot tough...

He's on my final list for the pick 9

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A low three ball percentage is one thing but 52% from the free throw line as a guard? Ouch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He absolutely screams San Antonio. A Derrick White / Kyle Anderson hybrid? HARD PASS at 9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandon Roy-esque tbh. Would be a great pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A low three ball percentage is one thing but 52% from the free throw line as a guard? Ouch.
    One thing to be known about the low FT% is that the G-League has a "One for Two" policy to speed up games, meaning you only get one free throw which is worth two points if made (Except the final two minutes of a game).
    Daniels still has to work on shooting but he did shoot 63% in U-19 International compe ion (again, not great), however, I do think he's improved since then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been calling him as our pick for like a month now. Could easily see him going 6 or 7 though. Good young player that I’m sure the Spurs would love to get their hands on. Definitely has some things he needs to work on (particularly his 3-pt shooting), but he’s got a solid future in the league as a two-way, playmaking point-forward imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another d white? No thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you have to pick whether you use in-shoes or barefoot height and then stick with it. You can't list Primo as 6-4 and Daniels at 6-7.5.

Anyway, Daniels' value to me would solely be in his ability to defend guys like Morant and Young. The NBA doesn't have dominant scoring wings right now. The value of defending 6-6 guys isn't there. Might it be there in a few years as guys like Edwards, Green and Suggs grow up? I guess. But the issue right now is that they have a number of team defenders who can't hold up at the point of attack against the current guys dominating the league. Being able to defend your position is nice in terms of win-later value. But in terms of win-now value for the Spurs, they have too many holes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How large is his forehead?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you have to pick whether you use in-shoes or barefoot height and then stick with it. You can't list Primo as 6-4 and Daniels at 6-7.5.

Anyway, Daniels' value to me would solely be in his ability to defend guys like Morant and Young. The NBA doesn't have dominant scoring wings right now. The value of defending 6-6 guys isn't there. Might it be there in a few years as guys like Edwards, Green and Suggs grow up? I guess. But the issue right now is that they have a number of team defenders who can't hold up at the point of attack against the current guys dominating the league. Being able to defend your position is nice in terms of win-later value. But in terms of win-now value for the Spurs, they have too many holes.
    One of the best strengths pointed out by scouts on Dyson is that he’s one of the best point of attack defenders (along with Eason, I think) in the draft. White left a hole in that area. Vassell is more of a team defender than an individual one. Murray is one (if we separate POA defenders into two categories: field goal defender and ball handler attacker). Murray is the only one. Would help our defense immensely to have another. Or two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want to profile G League guys, timvp, you might consider Jaden Hardy, a fallen angel with perhaps a bit more potential.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So there are two players I’m comparing in my mind.

Both are multi-positional defenders. Both are hard workers. Both have solid BBIQ. Both are good passers. Both have significant issues with shooting.

One is about 6’10”, a good athlete, and plays a position of need, power forward.
    The other is about 6’7”, a poor athlete, and likely plays the two guard, where, admittedly, we have a logjam of players.

One is Sochan. The other is Dyson. Why would I prefer Dyson?

I know, I’m generalizing and over simplifying their differences, but Sochan seems like the obvious pick over Dyson to me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Daniels is a good athlet too, more of a lateral athlet than vertical.

But you're right Sochan is more a need at the position, i would'nt mind Daniels tough. They both are really good defender but daniels is more polished offensively actually imo, he has a lot of nice floaters, touch near the basket. He can score from 4-5 ft naturally.

Overall i still go with Sochan over the two.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh ...

Would still need someone to create and put the ball in the hole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Daniels is a good athlet too, more of a lateral athlet than vertical.

But you're right Sochan is more a need at the position, i would'nt mind Daniels tough. They both are really good defender but Daniels is more polished offensively actually imo, he has a lot of nice floaters, touch near the basket. He can score from 4-5 ft naturally.

Overall i still go with Sochan over the two.
    Solid points. I was happily surprised to see Daniels' combine stats to be better than thought. But I suppose they need to be utilized in game; his quick feet seem to help on defense but maybe no on offense as much? But you're right about his floater shot...maybe he leans on that because he doesn't have the vertical to finish at the rim. So I guess I'd be ok with Daniels at 9, but they'd have to get rid of Walker for sure if they go this route, or with any backcourt player at 9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh ...

Would still need someone to create and put the ball in the hole.
    I agree in that I think that is our biggest need. But who would be available at 9? That's why I've come back to Johnny Davis: solid defender with experience being a 1-1 scoring option. If Hardy slips to 20 I'd want to consider him there if we go with a defender at 9. I guess the other options are Wesley, Dieng, maybe a few others, but mostly very young, inexperienced players with risk.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the best strengths pointed out by scouts on Dyson is that he’s one of the best point of attack defenders (along with Eason, I think) in the draft. White left a hole in that area. Vassell is more of a team defender than an individual one. Murray is one (if we separate POA defenders into two categories: field goal defender and ball handler attacker). Murray is the only one. Would help our defense immensely to have another. Or two.
    Agreed, but if they can't shoot then it's all for naught.

He's exactly what this team doesn't need. Another choir boy combo guard/wing who not only can't shoot, but also isn't dynamic/explosive enough to be a primary option on ball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, but if they can't shoot then it's all for naught.

He's exactly what this team doesn't need. Another choir boy combo guard/wing who not only can't shoot, but also isn't dynamic/explosive enough to be a primary option on ball.
    Not agree with that as i really think the Spurs must need is Defense. I understand the point about the shooting, if he can't hit them it will be difficult because i think he is not an off the ball player.

Like i said i have other players before him in my list but if you want D, playmaking plus some offensive ability inside the arc he's a good choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not a fan at 9th pick. Spurs need a go-to scorer, and if they are not trading for one, they need to address on this draft before anything else. Dyson is not.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not a fan at 9th pick. Spurs need a go-to scorer, and if they are not trading for one, they need to address on this draft before anything else. Dyson is not.
    You'll take a go to scorer who is not a good defender ? we focus a lot on scoring and it's legit but last year the spurs problem were on D mostly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'll take a go to scorer who is not a good defender ? we focus a lot on scoring and it's legit but last year the spurs problem were on D mostly.
    Of course we’re not talking Forbes/Beli category . And lack of D at PF is the suspect imo. I agree athletic guards do tend to rout the Spurs, but again it’s the hole at PF position and Jak tend to over help is the problem. And yes, I think the Spurs were there many times at the end, but found themselves short because they don’t have a go-to guy to finish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not that either is ideal but at this point and time i'd prefer to see the spurs go with a player that is already solid on the offensive side of the ball but has questions about his defense than the other way around.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course we’re not talking Forbes/Beli category . And lack of D at PF is the suspect imo. I agree athletic guards do tend to rout the Spurs, but again it’s the hole at PF position and Jak tend to over help is the problem. And yes, I think the Spurs were there many times at the end, but found themselves short because they don’t have a go-to guy to finish.
    I hope so for Beli and Forbes lol

I agree that the hole is at the PF position. The thing at 9 imo except Davis who also has some flaws, i don't see a player who has a high floor offensively and defensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope so for Beli and Forbes lol

I agree that the hole is at the PF position. The thing at 9 imo except Davis who also has some flaws, i don't see a player who has a high floor offensively and defensively.
    Now Davis who can score and assist a bunch, and one of the best point-of-attack defensive guards in this draft, I don’t have a problem with.

I just don’t see Dyson as the #1 priority at 9th.

Thread Information