Page 7 of 134 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was a great risk at Zollins who gave some solid minutes. I’m sure he’ll just get better. He needs to be more consistent outside, and co-exist with Landale at the 2nd unit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s definitely better than Jak and has much larger offensive repertoire…beyond that it’s not like Sa is passing up on a star SF for him. Only so many chances to get a sub 25 year old star at any position. So you take the upgrades where you can because at worst he’s a significant asset in pursuit of another star. But he fits a positional need, his offense fits better with Sochan and his max is a very palatable one vs having to pay Supermax or what PHX would have to pay imo.
    Here is Ayton's shot chart: https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/dea...hot-chart-2021

Since I don't watch the Suns often - what is in Ayton's offensive repertoire that is significantly larger than Jak's? Neither even has a mid-range game. Maybe Ayton has better low post moves, but I don't see how that helps with spacing with Sochan anymore than Jak's game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This GM is clueless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is Ayton's shot chart: https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/dea...hot-chart-2021

Since I don't watch the Suns often - what is in Ayton's offensive repertoire that is significantly larger than Jak's? Neither even has a mid-range game. Maybe Ayton has better low post moves, but I don't see how that helps with spacing with Sochan anymore than Jak's game.
    Ayton showed a lot more range (jak had none). When CP went out Ayton offense really expanded. But was small sample and wouldn’t show up in larger shot chart data

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zollins has proven to be a good get. I have doubts about him long-term but he's a banger and can hit outside. He becomes even more valuable with the presence of Sochan -- now the Baylore dude has both Landale and Collins to play with. Each is a floor spacer, while he will struggle with Poeltl. You can potentially not lose much size running Sochan/Landale or Sochan/Collins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. That Collins contract can be useful in trades.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellent

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It does jeopardize cap space quite a bit, but I also think they were unlikely to look at big signings after their draft anyway. I'd say were in for a similar off-season as last year in terms of overall strategy. Most of the empty roster spots will get used on salary dumps who won't make it out of camp. They habe a couple of weak seconds to use for matching, so I expect to see most of the young guys stay. It also reduces the likelihood that Murray gets moved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It does jeopardize cap space quite a bit, but I also think they were unlikely to look at big signings after their draft anyway. I'd say were in for a similar off-season as last year in terms of overall strategy. Most of the empty roster spots will get used on salary dumps who won't make it out of camp. They habe a couple of weak seconds to use for matching, so I expect to see most of the young guys stay. It also reduces the likelihood that Murray gets moved.

True but if target is Ayton (have doubts it is) they can still have his max while keeping Collins easily

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. Use cap to facilitate other teams' trades, get draft capital. Run with what we have minus shedding some players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where do you peg the cap space at right now, assuming Lonnie is renounced? Quickly playing with the Capulator I get to about 30m. Is that about right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. Use cap to facilitate other teams' trades, get draft capital. Run with what we have minus shedding some players.
    this is what i hope for and expect although i'm leaving some room for an unexpected mid-level tier signing or surprise, such as a jalen smith or fathead prodigal son returns moment.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The glass half full approach to Ayton is the same as John Collins: if they get popped for juicing again it's a 55 game suspension, which makes it very easy to tank that season

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what i was thinking first but they can also go for a guy with their money. Not talking about Lavine or Ayton because they'll need some moves to do so and not sure they want or will do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    zollins was definitely overpaid last year relative to what they got out of him, but thats also why they wanted him on a multiyear deal... to get the value later. he was surprisingly solid in his limited action. if he can turn in a full-ish season, that 3rd year could be very juicy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins earned the right to a 2nd season imo. He was actually pretty decent and I could be wrong but I don't recall him experiencing any injury issues which is good to see. He is a solid backup C with the potential to carve out a more permanent role this season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins literally got better the more minutes and time he got. Very excited to see how he looks after a healthy offseason and training camp.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Half of Zollins's money was guaranteed anyway, right? That means it was only an extra $3.5M to keep him compared to cutting him. Well worth it imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This GM is clueless.
    Why wouldn’t you guarantee him? You’d rather pay him 3.5mm just to cut him?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fools and babies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Half of Zollins's money was guaranteed anyway, right? That means it was only an extra $3.5M to keep him compared to cutting him. Well worth it imo.
    Yeah, the thinking from a lot of us at the time of signing was that he would get that second year if he showed anything at all. The only reason to cut him would've been to stretch his salary to get max cap space. That doesn't seem necessary anymore, so Collins makes more sense to keep as trade ballast even if they didn't like him, which I think they do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what i was thinking first but they can also go for a guy with their money. Not talking about Lavine or Ayton because they'll need some moves to do so and not sure they want or will do it.
    Technically don’t need a move for Ayton, spurs have room to max him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Technically don’t need a move for Ayton, spurs have room to max him.
    You're right but i was thinking they need to renounce to Lonnie or some one else to have the max ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right but i was thinking they need to renounce to Lonnie or some one else to have the max ?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True but if target is Ayton (have doubts it is) they can still have his max while keeping Collins easily
    Oh I think Ayton is definitely a target, I just don't think he is going to play in San Antonio cause I don't they they will be the only team offering a max or near max.

I'd be happy with Bamba or even gasp...taking a chance on Bagley who I don't think will get any sizable money deals due to how bad his reputation is, which I put the blame squarely on Sacramento.

I think Bamba on something like a 4 for 70 or Bagley on a 3 for 35 would be a nice get for the Spurs. Although I think a team could off Bamba stupid money off his handful of actual unicorn games when he hit 3's and defended the rim well.

Thread Information