Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 LastLast
    Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is a 60% FT shooter and 30% FT shooter. If he gets to 70% and 35%, he's an all star. Book it.
    Don't get ahead of yourself. I know everyone is excited and happy with the draft but let's not go overboard with these draft selections.

Those shooting % does not make him an all star. Depends on his overall scoring production and he has a long ways to go to even be thinking of an all star game at this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this a joke? Who on the spurs is playing the Steph Curry role? Very interested
    No, it isn't. you're just mad that you're wrong

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right. If you can't shoot as a baby, you will never know how to shoot.
    I do expect Sochan to improve some on his shooting % because they are pretty bad now but still don't see him becoming a high volume scorer. He can work out if the roster has a couple of 20+ go to scorers.

Spurs still need a go to high volume scorer that all the top playoff teams have.

Those players were in the top 7 picks of this draft but unfortunately the Spurs fell just outside of the top 7 and it didn't look like any team was interested in trading away one of those top 7 picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the finals MVP from the year before is also a PF who can't shoot

I got the point of the post, but the whole "a PF who can't shoot is unplayable" is clearly bull

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooting is fixable? Are you serious? You people are dreaming
    Kawhi Leonard, Tony Parker, and Bruce Bowen literally ing exist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was a segment yesterday morning on ESPNs first take where they had Jay Bilas on, he talked about Branham being the sleeper in the draft and said we’re going to see him go 20th in the draft and wonder why he didn’t go in the top 10…. He called it lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    could bobcats/hornets diaw even jump tbh?
    not until he set down his espresso tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah he’s 19, you can fix that easily. It’s not far off either.
    I'm not answering to you specifically as I definitely don't disagree with your assessment, but I just want to say that a lot of people around here think it's easy to fix someone's shot and make them a great shooter if you have a great shooting coach like Chip Engelland. but it really isn't. My main skill was shooting and I always had a feel for shooting the ball even when my form was unorthodox (sort of like Reggie Miller, who incidentally, I was a big fan of when I was a kid) when I was younger. I eventually changed my shooting form to a more conventional one, but I always had a feel for it no matter what form I used.

I feel like Kawhi already had a bit of feel for shooting the ball, so Chip was able to help him (the lockout may have also helped as Kawhi practiced what he was taught in the short time he was able to work with Chip, so he didn't get overloaded everyday). Grant Hill is also someone who wasn't a great shooter and with Chip's help became a much better shooter towards the end of his career. Anyway, my point is, if you don't have some kind of feel for shooting the ball, I don't think any amount of tweaking someone's shot or form is going to make them a better shooter. I haven't watched anything of Sochan, so I don't know how much of a feel for shooting he has, but if he does have a feel for it, I am hoping Chip can help him become a better/great shooter.

Another point I want to make is, you do not have to have a technically correct or picture perfect form on your shot to be a great shooter. Reggie Miller didn't, Michael Redd didn't. I don't think it's as important as some people think it is. You can be a great shooter and not have a perfect form/technique (it does help, but doesn't always have to be the case). As long as you can get your shot off against defenders, and with accuracy, that is the main thing that matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not answering to you specifically as I definitely don't disagree with your assessment, but I just want to say that a lot of people around here think it's easy to fix someone's shot and make them a great shooter if you have a great shooting coach like Chip Engelland. but it really isn't. My main skill was shooting and I always had a feel for shooting the ball even when my form was unorthodox (sort of like Reggie Miller, who incidentally, I was a big fan of when I was a kid) when I was younger. I eventually changed my shooting form to a more conventional one, but I always had a feel for it no matter what form I used.

I feel like Kawhi already had a bit of feel for shooting the ball, so Chip was able to help him (the lockout may have also helped as Kawhi practiced what he was taught in the short time he was able to work with Chip, so he didn't get overloaded everyday). Grant Hill is also someone who wasn't a great shooter and with Chip's help became a much better shooter towards the end of his career. Anyway, my point is, if you don't have some kind of feel for shooting the ball, I don't think any amount of tweaking someone's shot or form is going to make them a better shooter. I haven't watched anything of Sochan, so I don't know how much of a feel for shooting he has, but if he does have a feel for it, I am hoping Chip can help him become a better/great shooter.

Another point I want to make is, you do not have to have a technically correct or picture perfect form on your shot to be a great shooter. Reggie Miller didn't, Michael Redd didn't. I don't think it's as important as some people think it is. You can be a great shooter and not have a perfect form/technique (it does help, but doesn't always have to be the case). As long as you can get your shot off against defenders, and with accuracy, that is the main thing that matters.
    I've said this over and over, Sochan is a better shooter than Kawhi was coming out of college and Sochan is a year younger. Literally a better 3pt percentage, a better 2pt percentage. His ft% is a bit strange, possibly an outlier. He did not shoot many fts a game.

Sochan is not a great shooter. But he doesn't have brick hands and appears to have a fairly nice touch. Those are all good things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've said this over and over, Sochan is a better shooter than Kawhi was coming out of college and Sochan is a year younger. Literally a better 3pt percentage, a better 2pt percentage. His ft% is a bit strange, possibly an outlier. He did not shoot many fts a game.

Sochan is not a great shooter. But he doesn't have brick hands and appears to have a fairly nice touch. Those are all good things.
    He's easily fixable and he looks like a guy that wants to fix things.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right. If you can't shoot as a baby, you will never know how to shoot.
    He was a 50 something percent free throw shooter in college, and he’s a big. He’s never going to be a good shooter. And he sure as will never be a great three point shooter, no matter how much you wish that wasn’t true.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I got the point of the post, but the whole "a PF who can't shoot is unplayable" is clearly bull
    Now sochan is a future Giannis. You people are out of your mind.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And So It Begins............................................ ....................

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people assume Sochan can‘t shoot when he hit 30% from 3 in college? I think his percentage on catch and shoot jumpers was even higher. He needs a year or two, but it’s definitely reasonable to think he‘ll get there. He‘s not Jakob Poeltl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooting is fixable? Are you serious? You people are dreaming
    Tari Eason
    2020/21: 24.1 3P% on 1.3 3PA | 57.4 FT% on 2.0 FTA
    2021/22: 35.9 3P% on 2.4 3PA | 80.3 FT% on 5.7 FTA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was a 50 something percent free throw shooter in college, and he’s a big. He’s never going to be a good shooter. And he sure as will never be a great three point shooter, no matter how much you wish that wasn’t true.
    it's not like what you say is always true... i also not agree with you, i think Sochan shooting form is not bad and will be fixable but i understand the concerns.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's great to hear. I've never watched him, so hopefully he can become a better shooter. If he puts the work in and has a nice shooting touch, maybe he can become a better shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not just about fixing technical issues, it's also about simply aging and maturing. You get more poised and confident growing up as a player, learning how to stay calm and focused on what you have to do, just finding your groove, while you're more impulsive and messy as a young horse.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Don’t hurt”‘em !! Facts be killing these crazy takes!!!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some of you just don’t get it……..he has a great foundation to work from. His shooting form/stroke just need tweaking I would suspect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tari Eason
    2020/21: 24.1 3P% on 1.3 3PA | 57.4 FT% on 2.0 FTA
    2021/22: 35.9 3P% on 2.4 3PA | 80.3 FT% on 5.7 FTA

A lot people don't see that Tari Eason was way worse at Sochan's age. And also Jaden Ivey was pretty comparable to Wesley in his freshman year. Drafting these kids one year younger gives teams one more precious year to develop their skills. That's why age plays such a big part in the draft. If Tari did what he did this year as a freshman, he would have been a lottery pick like everyone here who wanted him thought he was. The difference between freshman and sop re in some these guys drafted is really night and day sometimes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And So It Begins............................................ ....................
    Seriously, I've seen everything in this thread from Sochan will never survive the NBA to Sochan could be the next Giannis. And that's just on the last page or two...

Never change, SpursTalk.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn’t get Sochan was going to be Greek from that post but we all comprehend differently. Kawhi was not Kawhi when he arrived in San Antonio. Sochan has a ton of ability ( international play really helped him )

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot people don't see that Tari Eason was way worse at Sochan's age. And also Jaden Ivey was pretty comparable to Wesley in his freshman year. Drafting these kids one year younger gives teams one more precious year to develop their skills. That's why age plays such a big part in the draft. If Tari did what he did this year as a freshman, he would have been a lottery pick like everyone here who wanted him thought he was. The difference between freshman and sop re in some these guys drafted is really night and day sometimes.
    Cha Ching!

Thread Information