Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They lost a roster spot that could've been used to check out a G-league/Euro/China prospect or just to sign a body that could play some minutes to spell some of the legit players on this roster. Team desperately needs another big but now they can't get one.
    Pop isn't even playing luka. The random euroleague guy won't get minutes anyway.

It seems an overreaction cause everyone is hoping for some derozan trade (and to a smaller degree aldridge) then we ended up with chris's. But at a high level point of view. Seems doesn't matter as much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And all that wrist cutting for that?

An end of bench type of player / long shot prospect.

Give me a break.
    You asked how it affected things from a basketball perspective and I gave you one of several reasons. It also sends a message to the team that the ownership cares more about making a profit than winning. As Chinook said, the big thing is it shows a mentality by the FO to be cheap in order to maximize profits. This is that the Suns used to pull back in the day that nearly sunk their franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop isn't even playing luka. The random euroleague guy won't get minutes anyway.

It seems an overreaction cause everyone is hoping for some derozan trade (and to a smaller degree aldridge) then we ended up with chris's. But at a high level point of view. Seems doesn't matter as much.
    At some point said scrub would play because the Spurs are gonna be resting plenty of players with the brutal second half schedule. You also need an extra body for injury insurance. Would suck for the Spurs to be forced to play someone banged up due to COVID taking out half the roster and said player suffering a more serious injury.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    You asked how it affected things from a basketball perspective and I gave you one of several reasons. It also sends a message to the team that the ownership cares more about making a profit than winning. As Chinook said, the big thing is it shows a mentality by the FO to be cheap in order to maximize profits. This is that the Suns used to pull back in the day that nearly sunk their franchise.
    Yup, the scary part isn't what they just did but what they may not be doing. If they're willing to out a roster spot just to make a couple hundred grand, who knows what moves they're turning down behind the scenes just to save money. It indicates an ownership that no longer cares about building towards something longterm(like a le) and more about short term profit being a priority.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They lost a roster spot that could've been used to check out a G-league/Euro/China prospect or just to sign a body that could play some minutes to spell some of the legit players on this roster. Team desperately needs another big but now they can't get one.
    They still have an open roster spot. We always had a 14 man roster, LA is gone Chriss is in. Still one spot left

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Total fail by this current joke of a free office on all stars and so called superstars

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They still have an open roster spot. We always had a 14 man roster, LA is gone Chriss is in. Still one spot left
    They don't have any money to spend on it, if they do they go into the luxury tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't have any money to spend on it, if they do they go into the luxury tax.
    They actually do have the money -- or at least the salary space. Whether that means they'll use the salary or just continue to pocket the money is anyone's guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They actually do have the money -- or at least the salary space. Whether that means they'll use the salary or just continue to pocket the money is anyone's guess.
    How much, exactly?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, how did this deal even come about? Why were the Spurs even looking at selling a roster spot and/or salary space? What were the Spurs projecting to other teams during these deadline discussions? What were they telling them their priorities were? Since when are the Spurs a team other clubs call for salary dumps?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much, exactly?
    timvp says about $1.8 Million

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp says about $1.8 Million
    Not enough to get anyone interesting then.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a team that prides itself on culture and family, this feels about like adopting a kid for the monthly paycheck...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not enough to get anyone interesting then.
    there really is no silver lining here

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this when the team takes a look at Renfro?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is an article that says Chriss was rehabbing at the Warrior facility, hasn't done any basketball work, was just taking walking steps a month prior, and this article came out two weeks ago. You will be lucky if he is doing 5 on 5 by training camp. And the one thing about Chriss is his leaping ability offensively and defensively in attacking the rim. How much of that is compromised?? If Chriss is resigned on a 2 year deal, second year team option or non guaranteed, like Lyles contract, then one thing is clear. The Spurs aren't going after Markkanen, Collins, or any Free Agents much less trades involving NBA level talent to use cap space to acquire picks. Samanic is Markkanen cheap, Chriss is Collins cheap, Mitoglu is Vooch (yes its hyperbolic but I'm pissed!!!) CHEAP!!!!

DeRozen doesn't need to walk he needs to RUN for the exit!!! I hoped ownership would help lead this franchise in a more modern direction and BE COMPE IVE in today's NBA. If you wanted to cut costs so much, you got an over priced HC/Head of Player Personnel you could have canned YESTERDAY!!!! Throw in that puppet of a GM along with him!! But then all eyes would be on you, the Holts, the owners who fired Popovich!! What are you going to do now?? You don't want that focus, Pop takes it for you. You're just in it for the money, I own a 5 TIME NBA CHAMPION. You Holts own nothing!!! You sell the Silver Stars, the Rampage ... you're selling pieces of the Spurs, now you're selling roster spots, and disgruntled players now exactly where to hurt you on their way out the door, the pocket book ...

The Spurs missed the playoffs 4 times in 40 DAMN YEARS!!!! That is about a lot of people in that organization and fans in San Antonio who bent over backwards and forwards, giving their lives and fortunes to support this team through all the successes and failures. That was their choice, no one forced them. But, no one has to continue putting money into your stinking pockets, HOLTS. NO TICKETS, NO MERCH, NO PARKING, NO CONSESSIONS!!! You have to show this team, this organization, this town that YOU are going to lead a winning franchise, PERIOD!! Otherwise you'll never get another red cent from me ... you can go choke on China's TV rights money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is an article that says Chriss was rehabbing at the Warrior facility, hasn't done any basketball work, was just taking walking steps a month prior, and this article came out two weeks ago. You will be lucky if he is doing 5 on 5 by training camp. And the one thing about Chriss is his leaping ability offensively and defensively in attacking the rim. How much of that is compromised?? If Chriss is resigned on a 2 year deal, second year team option or non guaranteed, like Lyles contract, then one thing is clear. The Spurs aren't going after Markkanen, Collins, or any Free Agents much less trades involving NBA level talent to use cap space to acquire picks. Samanic is Markkanen cheap, Chriss is Collins cheap, Mitoglu is Vooch (yes its hyperbolic but I'm pissed!!!) CHEAP!!!!

DeRozen doesn't need to walk he needs to RUN for the exit!!! I hoped ownership would help lead this franchise in a more modern direction and BE COMPE IVE in today's NBA. If you wanted to cut costs so much, you got an over priced HC/Head of Player Personnel you could have canned YESTERDAY!!!! Throw in that puppet of a GM along with him!! But then all eyes would be on you, the Holts, the owners who fired Popovich!! What are you going to do now?? You don't want that focus, Pop takes it for you. You're just in it for the money, I own a 5 TIME NBA CHAMPION. You Holts own nothing!!! You sell the Silver Stars, the Rampage ... you're selling pieces of the Spurs, now you're selling roster spots, and disgruntled players now exactly where to hurt you on their way out the door, the pocket book ...

The Spurs missed the playoffs 4 times in 40 DAMN YEARS!!!! That is about a lot of people in that organization and fans in San Antonio who bent over backwards and forwards, giving their lives and fortunes to support this team through all the successes and failures. That was their choice, no one forced them. But, no one has to continue putting money into your stinking pockets, HOLTS. NO TICKETS, NO MERCH, NO PARKING, NO CONSESSIONS!!! You have to show this team, this organization, this town that YOU are going to lead a winning franchise, PERIOD!! Otherwise you'll never get another red cent from me ... you can go choke on China's TV rights money.
    Didn't realize Trump was moonlighting on SpursTalk now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, how did this deal even come about? Why were the Spurs even looking at selling a roster spot and/or salary space? What were the Spurs projecting to other teams during these deadline discussions? What were they telling them their priorities were? Since when are the Spurs a team other clubs call for salary dumps?
    And how the can you not even net a pick when you have all the leverage and are saving a team more money than it costs to buy a pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And how the can you not even net a pick when you have all the leverage and are saving a team more money than it costs to buy a pick
    Yep, the fact we couldn't even get a draft pick in a trade is sad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sadly, it paints a picture of Spurs FO working harder this deadline (taking salary dump calls, buying out players, etc) to save money than to make team better. Priorities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m probably in a loser denial phase but as much as I’m disappointed in the spurs, Marquese Chriss is sort of an intriguing big to add to the core if he regains form and matures after he recovers from injury

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m probably in a loser denial phase but as much as I’m disappointed in the spurs, Marquese Chriss is sort of an intriguing big to add to the core if he regains form and matures after he recovers from injury
    Even if that happens he won't be playing here. He's an unrestricted free agent after this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if that happens he won't be playing here. He's an unrestricted free agent after this year.
    He won’t have many options coming off injury imo, spurs could keep him cheap probably on a minimum deal to see if he can provide anything. Pretty sure him and dejounte were close since they were teammates in college together

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won’t have many options coming off injury imo, spurs could keep him cheap probably on a minimum deal to see if he can provide anything. Pretty sure him and dejounte were close since they were teammates in college together
    Resigning him will cost up to ~10m (105% league avg salary). In other words, while the Spurs have his early bird rights, he's cheap enough for any team to take a flyer on him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Non issue, we are gonna suck anyway for the next few years. This is probably Pops last season as a head coach and i don't think Becky or whoever else is gonna change our fortunes for the foreseeable future.

Thread Information