Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Such a good series. I'd normally be pretty hard pressed to watch a 20-30 minute video about Kobe or LeBron but these were entertaining and informative.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Kobe in this final video tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He ranks Garnett as better than Duncan.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way LeBron could ring with the '03 roster Duncan had that beat Shaq/Kobe. Same for Bird, Curry, and just LOL at Garnett.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to me the most memorable thing about Duncan is never going to be his absolute peak, but rather his longevity of greatness. with that said, hard to look past that 03 run and say KG had a better peak

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to me the most memorable thing about Duncan is never going to be his absolute peak, but rather his longevity of greatness. with that said, hard to look past that 03 run and say KG had a better peak
    Yeah, it's stupid. Basically nobody is going to say KG was better than Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Preposterous. The video creator made a case that clearly favored Duncan, showing that his stats elevated more in the playoffs and his offense was more valuable. Then, out of nowhere, he goes "but I value defense more" and gives the edge to Garnett.

He also said something like "neither of these guys can carry an offense by himself without a co-star." Bull . '03 Duncan carried on both ends, and there was no co-star on that team. Manu was a rookie, Parker was a sop re, and Robinson was on his last legs. Duncan averaged 24 ppg in the playoffs, and the next highest scorer was at 14 ppg.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So this is what we're gonna be doing for the foreseeable future, watching vids of years past, what a sad reality. Giving Garnett the edge is beyond preposterous. On IQ alone Duncan is way ahead, it's not even close imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kg was nothing more then a statpadder that doesnt influence the score

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    During their own episodes, KG was labelled as someone who wasn't good enough to carry the offense. While Timmy obviously did it for many years. And then he goes back to saying neither could carry the offense in the final video.

Btw, Wolves 03-04 supoprting cast was better than ours in 02-03 if we talk offense. And it's not even close.

What's even more ridiculous is that he puts Steph and Bird ahead of both, after all that defense talk during episodes. But Magic is 10th. And Kareem is behind Bird? Cmon.

Some of his takes are really interesting and the whole series is amazing, but he messed it up in the end. Sure, he said that any of the 10th-4th place guys could be anywhere in 3rd-10th range, but still.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Doc Rivers first got hired as Boston's coach, he asked friends for advice on handling KG's ridiculous intensity and over-the-top personality... that's something no coach would have to deal with regarding Duncan. KG had numerous beefs with teammates, contract demands, etc., etc... Duncan's fundamental maturity as a human being was always light years ahead of KG's, and that stuff matters in the real world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean the Tim vs KG argument was a huge one in the early to mid 2000s. But Duncan clearly is the superior player. I forgot what thread I put my counterargument to put to bed the biggest myth in the NBA which is KG would've won as many les with the Spurs that Duncan did and I went year by year and I got up to 2 les with KG in 2005 and 2006. That's it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just... read the le? He's ranking peaks, not careers. No need to get triggered ST

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem getting massively overrated, duncan underrated as expected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just... read the le? He's ranking peaks, not careers. No need to get triggered ST

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Preposterous. The video creator made a case that clearly favored Duncan, showing that his stats elevated more in the playoffs and his offense was more valuable. Then, out of nowhere, he goes "but I value defense more" and gives the edge to Garnett.

He also said something like "neither of these guys can carry an offense by himself without a co-star." Bull . '03 Duncan carried on both ends, and there was no co-star on that team. Manu was a rookie, Parker was a sop re, and Robinson was on his last legs. Duncan averaged 24 ppg in the playoffs, and the next highest scorer was at 14 ppg.
    i got the sense that he favored KG because of the passing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem getting massively overrated, duncan underrated as expected.
    At least he had actual reasons for Garnett over Duncan (even if who's skillset is more "modern" is irrelevant and as usual winning multiple championships without a go-to perimeter creator and one without a second star period isn't mentioned), with Olajuwon he says something to the effect of "he just prefers him".

I get that there's a universal love affair/nostalgia with him because of the aesthetics and precious counting stats (without context), but there's no credible argument for their being a gap between him and Duncan.
    Last edited by TD 21; 04-13-2021 at 05:22 PM.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    No way LeBron could ring with the '03 roster Duncan had that beat Shaq/Kobe. Same for Bird, Curry, and just LOL at Garnett.
    could easily say no way duncan beats GS in 2016 with that roster

they are two very different styles of players that require teams to be built very differently around them

and tbqh the situation for that 02-03 lakers team was not the same as during the three-peat. not as deep and didnt improve at all from the year before while several other teams made clear improvement, including the spurs by adding sjax and manu, along with parkers development

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I enjoyed the series but i never got his analysis of Duncan. The Spurs built 4 championship winning offenses around him.

Garnett never did that ONCE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

compared to most on the board I always thought 2003 Spurs were pretty good. Obviously Duncan was in his prime but the players around him fit so well for that era of basketball. Interior defense was so important during that era. That year was nice to have a young Stephen Jackson, Manu, Bowen, Malik Rose, Speedy Claxton, (3rd year) Parker, coupled with vets like Robinson, Steve Smith, Kerr, Willis, and Ferry. Ultimately it was the Spurs' defense that won the championship and Robinson, Bowen, Jackson, Manu, Parker, Claxton, Rose were such good defenders for their respective ages.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I enjoyed the series but i never got his analysis of Duncan. The Spurs built 4 championship winning offenses around him.

Garnett never did that ONCE.
    He did point out that Garnett often played with poor shooters that couldn't take advantage of the shots he created, that's less of a knock of KG and more so on Minny's front office. He also pointed out that Duncan was easier to build around due to his natural back to the basket game while KG often took turnaround jumpers and pick and pops. Still take TD over KG though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    compared to most on the board I always thought 2003 Spurs were pretty good. Obviously Duncan was in his prime but the players around him fit so well for that era of basketball. Interior defense was so important during that era. That year was nice to have a young Stephen Jackson, Manu, Bowen, Malik Rose, Speedy Claxton, (3rd year) Parker, coupled with vets like Robinson, Steve Smith, Kerr, Willis, and Ferry. Ultimately it was the Spurs' defense that won the championship and Robinson, Bowen, Jackson, Manu, Parker, Claxton, Rose were such good defenders for their respective ages.
    I agree, the '03 Spurs had great role players. But there was no co-star, which is rare for championship teams. So it still is a crowning achievement for Tim. That's when he had the near quad double in the clinching game.

You say "ultimately it was the Spurs defense that won the championship" - yeah, and Tim was the centerpiece of that defense. They also won because Tim outplayed Kobe and Shaq by himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Duncan's 2003 season is one of the great seasons of all time.. There is literally nothing he did NOT do that year..

Like you said he had a young Spurs team on the verge, but Manu and Tony were NOT ready for primetime yet..

And Duncan in 2003 carried the Spurs to 60 wins best record in the league..
    Wins Reg season MVP
    Beats the 3 time champs Lakers and wins the Chip putting up insane finals number.
    Finals MVP..

When did KG ever sniff that level of dominance?

Thread Information