Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    CC, I've been wanting a smoker for a while, and rather than having a redneck make me one that mounts on a trailer, I just want something small and convenient for the backyard. Any recommendations or are they all pretty much the same? Other than price, I don't see much of a difference between most of them.

Anyone?
    For the price of a cheap offset smoker, you're better off getting a Weber Smokey Mountain instead tbh. Unless its high quality and expensive as , offset smokers are a pain in the ass. Weber Smokey Mountains are way easier and will cook just as well as an offset smoker thats the same price. Not to mention they're alot lighter and more portable.

If you have the time and means to take a cheap offset smoker and modify it, then do that. or if you're willing to s out for a quality offset smoker tho, then thats definitely the way to go too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    yea johnsmith, if you're going to be wasting money on briskets from HEB, just get a cheap smoker. no point in spending high dollar on equipment to cook some cheap meat.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    the only problem with those is that with the water pan and no vent up top, you're basically steaming. My friend John Lewis, who started Franklin with Aaron and is now pitmaster at LA BBQ, had one of those before he started competing and ended up drilling a hole up top to seal with a wine cork. He started building/welding his own stuff with used propane tanks after that. Since the steam was vented he was able to get a decent bark.
    What is John and Aaron's friendship like now? I'm kinda curious about how Franklin/Lewis/John Mueller all view each other considering they all have worked together at various points and now are all each other's top compe ion in Austin. Aaron Franklin gives off the awshucks nice guy vibe but seems like he's more cutthroat than he looks behind the scenes. I thought it was interesting that Lewis basically called him out in that TM interview, saying he never seasoned a brisket with only s&p while working at Franklin's joint, which goes against basically any interview Franklin ever gave about what he seasons his briskets with.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yea johnsmith, if you're going to be wasting money on briskets from HEB, just get a cheap smoker. no point in spending high dollar on equipment to cook some cheap meat.
    no point on spending $ on any equipment if you're buying brisket. Just microwave the out of it and drench it your favorite barbeque sauce.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What an ignorant ing comment.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    What an ignorant ing comment.
    nah it isn't. i made a couple smokers in GMR class in junior high that did just as good as the expensive ones people use to cook cheap meats from HEB.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    nah it isn't. i made a couple smokers in GMR class in junior high that did just as good as the expensive ones people use to cook cheap meats from HEB.
    I know this guy who made a smoker out of an old dish washing machine.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    I know this guy who made a smoker out of an old dish washing machine.
    I saw some guys make one of out a pinball machine but it sucked. does your buddy do bbq compe ions?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I cooked for years on a couple of cheap Brinkmann water smokers. BBQ was just as good, just had to screw with it more to hold the temperature right.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    @ the meat snob.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Just saying it doesn't make sense to pay for a expensive smoker unless youu compete on the bbq circuit and if that's the case, you wouldn't be using meats from heb.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I saw some guys make one of out a pinball machine but it sucked. does your buddy do bbq compe ions?
    no...I don't think he even cooks that much.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I bet you'll smoke anyone's meat

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    These MAK's are the bad boys!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    These MAK's are the bad boys!

LOL. Why the would you have a safe built on to your grill??? LMAO.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    What is John and Aaron's friendship like now? I'm kinda curious about how Franklin/Lewis/John Mueller all view each other considering they all have worked together at various points and now are all each other's top compe ion in Austin. Aaron Franklin gives off the awshucks nice guy vibe but seems like he's more cutthroat than he looks behind the scenes. I thought it was interesting that Lewis basically called him out in that TM interview, saying he never seasoned a brisket with only s&p while working at Franklin's joint, which goes against basically any interview Franklin ever gave about what he seasons his briskets with.
    I think they are still friends, but I couldn't say for sure. From what I know most of the Muellers are a bit off, so who knows what is going on with them (John and sister) besides the fact they hate each other, and she is John Lewis' boss now. I have known John for about 10 years, and he is as nice a person as I have ever met - his sister is my ex-wife I may go by his place here in a bit actually since I have to run an errand downtown.
    Last edited by leemajors; 09-05-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    LOL. Why the would you have a safe built on to your grill??? LMAO.
    That's a warmer/smoker dummy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    whatever...it's clearly Photoshopped anyway.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    The Mak is also $2300.00 plus accessori's
    The topic was inexpensive smokers...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Actually the topic was brisket...

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Actually the topic was brisket...
    I really like my Nike Sasquatch…Turned my hook into a nice control fade…

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    dunno what happened there
    Last edited by leemajors; 09-05-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think they are still friends, but I couldn't say for sure. I have known John for about 10 years, and he is as nice a person as I have ever met - his sister is my ex-wife I may go by his place here in a bit actually since I have to run an errand downtown.
    why the ...

Mr Robinsons hood denizen Creepn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Caught hook, line, and sinker. Then placed on the grill to give to the dog for dinner.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Caught hook, line, and sinker. Then placed on the grill to give to the dog for dinner.
    Nope. Your stupid is showing again. Good thing for you they had affirmative action or you'd still be struggling to get out of the third grade.

Thread Information