Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting Coach Bud back would be amazing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They way he was speaking so highly off the team after a miserable season was telling. Was a great run. I suspect we are going to be very bad next year, let the rebuild begin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Becky as our coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Becky as our coach
    I think she has earned the right to be in the running.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn’t Becky coach on Tim HOF night?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn’t Becky coach on Tim HOF night?
    A reporter tweeted that it was because she wasn't the assistant coach who scouted the Suns. Whoever scouted the opposing team gets to be the head coach that night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will forever be remembered as one of the best to draw up a play and one of the worst with rotations which in the end made him a mediocre coach who road the coattails of the big three. I for one will be quite happy to see him gone and hope they clean the front office too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Mo Cheeks still a thing? I wonder how he would do

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A reporter tweeted that it was because she wasn't the assistant coach who scouted the Suns. Whoever scouted the opposing team gets to be the head coach that night.
    i could be mistaken but I don’t remember that happening when coach bud was assistant. Once he became the top assistant wasn’t he always the coach whenever pop got ejected or missed a game? At least that’s what it felt like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i could be mistaken but I don’t remember that happening when coach bud was assistant. Once he became the top assistant wasn’t he always the coach whenever pop got ejected or missed a game? At least that’s what it felt like.
    It's been different the last couple of years. There are no top assistants on the team. The reason behind it is Pop wants each coach to grow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for the next coach:

My heart says Matt Nielsen, but my head thinks it's Becky... if the rumor is at all true. Mospur has been wrong before (but it doesn't take away from his reliability).

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coach Bud at least has a track record of coming into a situation and retooling the offense to be more modern and better utilize the talent we have. Bud probably sees a job in SA with a long tenure, so that would be a draw, but the team doesn't have an obvious path, so I have to wonder if he'd want to rack up a bunch of losses on his resume. Hard to say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The worst thing is I feel like we'll rarely see Pop again.

He seems like the type who will disappear -- we'll all just be reporters with dumb questions to him from here on.

He wont be like Tim, Tony and Manu who seem (in some cases hesitantly) to be making SA their permanent home. Or Gervin for that matter.

He'll be the everlasting gap in local Spurs history -- and he's one of the biggest pieces.

He's his own guy, that's for sure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, Spurs fans can be a weird bunch. "I won't be satisfied until all the championship knowledge is purged from this team. If he has any connection to anything positive, he needs to be jettisoned ASAP "
    The "championship knowledge" has long since retired. Nostalgia is clouding your judgement.

It's far more important that they modernize themselves (shot profile, player promotion, etc.) immediately than cling to mythology.

Unfortunately, Hammon's being promoted would somewhat stifle that because it would mean the continuation of the coach being the star of the team media wise.
    Last edited by TD 21; 05-23-2021 at 11:29 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like him to coach next season and then retire. Either way, it’s been a great run and whatever he does I wish him well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would Bud leave Milwaukee for San Antonio?

Unless they fire him which is likely since his team won’t go far in the playoffs anyway

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will forever be remembered as one of the best to draw up a play and one of the worst with rotations which in the end made him a mediocre coach who road the coattails of the big three. I for one will be quite happy to see him gone and hope they clean the front office too.
    Uh no, mediocrity was what we got in the 90s. I know you're a butthurt right-wing nut but Pop was an amazing coach. LOL some scrub like Bob Hill bringing the 2014 team to a le.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @mospur02 can u confirm what ive been told that brian wright is being replaced as well...........
    Maybe he is being replaced as gm because Brian Wright is going to be the next head coach lol. "Shudders"...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait to find out who the new scapego- ahem, I mean coach will be.
    The bar should be 17-47 win % the first year, right?
    You know, CIA Pops record before Timmy happened.

Slurpers all primed to make the bar be Championships without Prime Timmy Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bar should be 17-47 win % the first year, right?
    You know, CIA Pops record before Timmy happened.

Slurpers all primed to make the bar be Championships without Prime Timmy Duncan.
    Ummm what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Mo Cheeks still a thing? I wonder how he would do
    Mo Cheeks could not get out of SA fast enough when he played for the Spurs in 1989. He hated playing in SA and was shipped off for Rod Strickland. Probably not a thing for SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coach Pop will be the Ultimate Coach in Spurs history so pretty much anyone will be a step down from his peak - that's a hard act to follow for anyone (even an experienced coach who has seen some success). I don't know if watching his team lose 50-60 games next year with a young, retooling roster will appeal to Popovich. It this year is it, I would just say "Thanks for the Memories".

As a Spurs fan growing up, I NEVER envisioned the Spurs winning five les. That was always reserved (and manipulated by the league) for the Celtics and the Lakers back in the day. Small market NBA teams used to exist simply as fodder for the "chosen" franchises. I think things have changed at least a little bit in that regard because of the Spurs success. Even before Pop's coaching tenure, the Spurs were at least a very good team and had a shot at making the finals several times. Getting the job completely done was Pop's huge contribution - he took advantage of opportunities afforded by Robinson, Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and the quitting #2 Nephew. If not for a couple of flukey bad breaks, the Spurs could have won several more championships as well.

I would not be surprised at either one more year or retirement for Pop. The organization needs some focus overall - I'm not sure that will get done this offseason. Hopefully, a clear path going forward is started soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eww to both Bud and Gentry. Never liked either them as head coaches. Pop will forsure have major influence on who the next head coach will be. I could see Kerr making a call to Pop about Mike Brown .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Championship knowledge” draft Tim Duncan with the #1 pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop Sniffers are very on the defensive about any thoughts the retirement could have come like say 2015. Certainly after Zaza. Your die hard real hardkowre sniffers think the last 2 seasons were completely non Pop related.

So certainly being the extremely fair folks they are, their expectation for the new coach's first season should be no more then Pops first season.
    Right?

Thread Information