what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...harged-celtics

Part of a larger article on various topics but here is the tidbit about SA:

Imagine throwing this apparently harmless entry pass, and realizing as it is in midair that the long-limbed blur who was just harassing you is trying to steal it -- and damn well might get there?

https://media.video-cdn.espn.com/gif...urray_2gif.mp4

Most guys deny entry passes by sagging way off ball handlers. Some hop back and forth in a cat-and-mouse game. Point guards can digest all of that stuff. They can't read Murray's intentions because he doesn't telegraph them. He's in your face, and then, like some sort of ghost, he's intercepting your pass. He races the ball:

https://media.video-cdn.espn.com/gif...urray_2gif.mp4

He is, almost literally, in two places at once.

Murray is a threat to invade any nearby passing lane. When opposing point guards scoot ahead of him on the pick-and-roll, he's long enough to swat their shot from behind. He's second overall in deflections, and averages 3.0 stocks per 36 minutes. His ability to defend all three perimeter positions allows Gregg Popovich to deploy his guards in almost any three-man combination. (Even so, he won't play Murray and Derrick White together. Come on, Pop! Give the people what they want!)
    Murray is a gambler, which always triggers delicious tension in San Antonio. Popovich yanked Murray against Memphis on Monday after one gamble gone bad. Popovich will eventually accept that Murray's roving mostly pays off. In that sense, perhaps Murray is the true Spursian heir to Manu Ginobili.

Murray does not bring Ginobili's derring-do on offense. He is gun-shy; Murray has attempted only 10 3s, and has barely busted out the improved midrange jumper everyone raved about a year ago. The Spurs' starting lineup could use some scoring punch. (Stop me if you've heard this before, but the Spurs are getting walloped with DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge on the floor. If Popovich has any desire to extend DeRozan's contract, the rest of the front office should confiscate all his computers, phones, and pens.) It bequeaths deficits upon the bench -- a big reason the 5-6 Spurs are reeling a bit.
    Hopefully Murray grows more assertive with time.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dejounte is just not very good right now, let’s face it

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murrays coming off an ACL tear and he is literally trying to defend all over the court to cover for some of his awful teammates. Pop is doing him no favours making him cover for them.

He's going to be fine all things considered.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shockingly, a unit with one legit shooter and defender and maybe no star (depending on whether Aldridge can regain form), is struggling mightily . . . stunningly, Pop's magical "system" hasn't been able to supersede these issues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even 10 games into his comeback after a year off the court, still on a minutes restriction over his ACL, and the guy is second *in the league* in deflections. His offensive game will polish in time. Some of y'all have really unfair expectations about him. FO for sure hasn't put a team around him that compliments his game.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're a lunatic

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "If Popovich has any desire to extend DeRozan's contract, the rest of the front office should confiscate all his computers, phones, and pens."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) I don't see any signs from Pop that he wants to extend DeRozan. Every chance he gets, he's saying Aldridge, White and Murray are better (or "more important" or however he phrases it) than DeRozan.

2) Part of Pop's strategy is to supercharge his bench. That's part of why Manu's plus-minus numbers were always through the roof and the bench unit's plus-minus numbers continue to be through the roof even though Manu is gone. Typically, it's a pretty fair trade off to have a starting lineup that holds serve and a bench that can blow the doors off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poole saying Murry is struggling but I think him, like all the other young guards or any other players on the court with derozen and LMA struggle to thrive with such poor spacing in a league the has rules that reward our side shooting and penalize playing in the paint

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just find it odd the Spurs completely abandoned 3pt shooting as an offensive counter.

Duncan era/ post game surrounded by shooters.

TP/Manu/Beautiful game penetration and kick movement

We’re now a penetrating offensive heavy (DeMar/Murray) but with ZERO shooting. And BS LMA ISO’s

Trey Lyles needs to go and we need a shooter in SL. It was supposed to be Morris (Perfect fit tbh) or even a Bertans lol. But we know how that went.

Until Spurs remove Lyles from SL we’re ed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray either has a lot of rust or still needs a lot of work. I'm hoping it's the former.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...harged-celtics

Part of a larger article on various topics but here is the tidbit about SA:
    Don't let Pop see this article... He will give a lifetime contract to DDR and LMA and immediately retire their jerseys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is very good... He is just to worried on offense about catering to the egos of LMA and DDR so he gets passive and just coasts... And on fast breaks, DDR is the only one that can keep up with him in the starting lineup and he can't shoot

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is very good... He is just to worried on offense about catering to the egos of LMA and DDR so he gets passive and just coasts... And on fast breaks, DDR is the only one that can keep up with him in the starting lineup and he can't shoot
    uh wh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray sucks, accept it and move on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even 10 games into his comeback after a year off the court, still on a minutes restriction over his ACL, and the guy is second *in the league* in deflections. His offensive game will polish in time. Some of y'all have really unfair expectations about him. FO for sure hasn't put a team around him that compliments his game.
    Well said

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's disappointing that my favorite team can't legitimately be called a "Defense First" team anymore... If they started Murray & White and added 15 mpg of another player who played D, they'd mostly be back... but stockpiling DeRozan, Forbes, Beli, and Mills is just too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both Murray and White need to play better offensively. Less turnovers from Murray and playing with more of a purpose.

White needs to be better and influence the game more.
    Their D is fine. Imagine if they played together

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those two free throw line jumpers Murray made if he can make that in pick and roll at a good percentage that would help.

Thread Information