Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    You're making the common mistake people make in debates, which is acting as if the cir stances were the same.

When was Garnett ever in position to do what Nowitzki did in '11? '04 was the closest, but Cassell, their second best player, essentially missed the back half the WCF.
    kg had plenty of decent talent for years and with the exception of the 04 year, never even got out the first round

on the other hand, when was nowitzki ever in position to have the talent garnett had from 08-12? yet kg only came out of it with 1 ring and 0 fmvps

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean those are his prime years. I was only counting his prime years and specifically his first round playoff numbers to his Finals numbers. You do realize that playoff numbers include his Nets years which I didn’t count bc then I would just say hey he averaged 6 points in the playoffs one season. Lol dirk never did. And then the response would be yeah when he’s out of his prime and on the Nets. So be careful if you want those numbers included.

Also and here’s a shocker, his playoff career numbers include his lower Finals numbers which lowers his playoff ppg average. And where THE did you see him average 18.6 points a game in the finals when he averaged less than that in 2008 and 15 ppg in 2010? 18+15=33. 33/2 is 16.5 ppg in the Finals. Like I said earlier just bc you say bull doesn’t make it true. Or do you not count his 2010 Finals for some reason but do include his Nets years?
    I looked it up and did the math. Took me about 5 minutes. Do it and you will see. Or don't, but then shut the up, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kg had plenty of decent talent for years and with the exception of the 04 year, never even got out the first round

on the other hand, when was nowitzki ever in position to have the talent garnett had from 08-12? yet kg only came out of it with 1 ring and 0 fmvps
    No, he didn't. '04 Cassell was the best player he played with as a Timberwolf and he strangely turned in a career season at 33-34. He never had so much as a top 15 player.

Nowitzki inarguably played with significantly more talent throughout their primes.

Had Garnett not injured his knee in '09, they probably go back-to-back and had Perkins not broken his leg and missed game 7 in '10, they easily could have won that too. Finals MVP is overblown. He was playoffs MVP in '08.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    No, he didn't. '04 Cassell was the best player he played with as a Timberwolf and he strangely turned in a career season at 33-34. He never had so much as a top 15 player.
    what top 15 player did dirk ever have?

Nowitzki inarguably played with significantly more talent throughout their primes.
    terry and howard > pierce and allen?

Had Garnett not injured his knee in '09, they probably go back-to-back and had Perkins not broken his leg and missed game 7 in '10, they easily could have won that too. Finals MVP is overblown.
    i dont disagree that they could have won more, but we could say plenty of coulda woulda stuff for dirk as well

had he not gotten injured in 03 they coulda beat the spurs
    had the league not given stackhouse a weak suspension they probably win game 5
    had cubes not dismantled the team in 11-12 they may have had a chance to win

we can do this all day. fact is, dirk put a team on his back in a way kg never did.

He was playoffs MVP in '08.
    really? what award is that? never heard of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes a GOAT list that places kg ahead of magic and bird, Russell ahead of Shaq, Hakeem, timmy and wilt, and LeBron ahead of Mike but behind Kareem has absolutely no flaws whatsoever and is the perfect parameter of greatness
    First, it doesn't have KG over Timmy. Duncan is 7th on the list.

Then, I didn't say it was perfect, I didn't even say I agreed with it. Simply that it is an interesting list that ranks players without any bias whatsoever. They just use a set of different metrics and whatever result they get, that's what they write. I don't agree with many things on the list, but I respect it and does make me consider some things.

You continue to apply narratives to me that I don't even claim or believe in. I never said kg is a choker, and I think it's a heavily overused label for many players. I simply said kg doesn't have the same level of scoring skills that guys like Dirk and Timmy have. and it shows come playoff time when you have to compete against the best defenses giving full effort every night
    a big difference than regular seasons when you are facing teams that either completely suck defensively, don't care as much bc it's regular season, or both.
    It shows on the playoffs by having Duncan averaging a mind blowing 0.8 pts more per game than Garnett.

I fully agree that to an extent you can't always blame lack of team success on a single player, there's only so much he can do. but kg also had some pretty good teams that underachieved as well. and there were times that as the leader and best player on the team, his shortcomings at scoring were part of the reason his teams couldn't get over the hump. defenses simply didn't fear him the way they feared guys like dirk and timmy. I don't really consider it a fault, as much as it simply is something he wasn't capable of doing. ranking him lower than dirk isn't due to faults of kg, as opposed to simply having less capability of affecting the game the way dirk did. dirk literally transformed basketball. kg was basically a lesser version of hakeem.
    Less capability of affecting the game? Garnett is arguably the most complete bigman in history. He could affect the game in a lot more ways than Dirk. Dirk was unique with his skillset for a 7 footer, but his "game affecting" skills were solely limited to scoring.

truth is, kg was generally not on the level of a postseason performer that dirk was.
    Yet, he has the same amount of hardware to show while spending most of his prime years in much lesser teams.

and it's funny how you want to say that the choker label is unfair to use (despite me never once using that label for kg), then conveniently want to apply it to dirk every chance you get
    I never applied the choker label on Dirk. Not even when my war vs the mavkrew was it its peak (good times, tbh ). I'm just using Dirk as an example of mindless NBA fans going with the flow on empty narratives.

oh and then you want to criticize people for using what you referred to as the "eye test" but you conveniently want to use the eye test to claim that kg had no good teammates ever in minny, while dirk always was just surrounded by good talent. and then you want to conveniently ignore that kg won a championship with two hof teammates in their primes, while dirk won with a team that had no fellow allstars, nor a single player in the prime of their careers except maybe tyson.
    Did you read the analysis on that website? They came up with a non-arbitrary way of determining the level of a player's supporting cast.

I really couldn't care less if you simply prefer kg (I mean you consider manu one tier below MJ, LeBron and Timmy for goodness sake) I just don't get your inconsistent arguments. you keep jumping all over the place, making stuff up, and picking and choosing.
    There's nothing contradictory or inconsistent about my arguments. My main argument here is that players are perceived according to the cir stances they fall in, rather than their actual level of play.

If I say that Manu is a better player than Allen Iverson because Manu does literally everything better than Iverson on a basketball court (seriously: shooting, rebounding, blocking, defense, clutchness, making smart decisions, leadership, you name it) people laugh at me because Iverson won NBA MVP and Manu was a 6th man.

This is the same, if I say that KG is better than Dirk becasue he had a bigger impact on games (proved by metrics) some folks Will argue with me because he lost a lot in the first round and didn't have a "killer instect" or "eye of the tiger" or whatever other corny phrase they want to come up with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to add to it, including his decrepit brooklyn season, it appears that his averages in the 2nd 3rd and 4th rounds combined actually are 17.9, not 18.6 as he claims

so since his career playoff average is 18.2, and his averages in rounds 2/3/4 are 17.9, that must mean his first round average is... well we can let him "do the remaining math"

at this guy literally making stuff up
    Link? I personally did the math myself. I have no problem to admit if I commited a mistake.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    First, it doesn't have KG over Timmy. Duncan is 7th on the list.
    obviously reading isnt your strong suit as i didnt say that. i said russell was ahead of tim

Then, I didn't say it was perfect, I didn't even say I agreed with it. Simply that it is an interesting list that ranks players without any bias whatsoever. They just use a set of different metrics and whatever result they get, that's what they write. I don't agree with many things on the list, but I respect it and does make me consider some things.
    what proof do you have that there is no bias?

if you dont agree with it, then why bother to try to use it as some sort of conclusive proof that kg > dirk?

It shows on the playoffs by having Duncan averaging a mind blowing 0.8 pts more per game than Garnett.
    so that means garnett is about as skilled as timmy?

Less capability of affecting the game? Garnett is arguably the most complete bigman in history. He could affect the game in a lot more ways than Dirk. Dirk was unique with his skillset for a 7 footer, but his "game affecting" skills were solely limited to scoring.
    yet dirk was the one who is viewed as transcendent, and a guy who completely changed the way basketball is played in the nba

obviously his one way of affecting the game was much bigger than all of kgs

Yet, he has the same amount of hardware to show while spending most of his prime years in much lesser teams.
    some of his prime years

then some of them he spent with 2-3 hof players in their primes and only has 1 ring to show for it

I never applied the choker label on Dirk. Not even when my war vs the mavkrew was it its peak (good times, tbh ). I'm just using Dirk as an example of mindless NBA fans going with the flow on empty narratives.
    lol ok

Did you read the analysis on that website? They came up with a non-arbitrary way of determining the level of player's supporting cast.
    of course its non-arbitrary when it fits your opinion

There's nothing contradictory or inconsistent about my arguments. My main argument here is that players are perceived according to the cir stances they fall in, rather than their actual level of play.

If I say that Manu is a better player than Allen Iverson because Manu does literally everything better than Iverson on a basketball court (seriously, shooting, rebounding, blocking, defense, clutchness, making smart decisions, leadership, you name it) people laugh at me because Iverson won NBA MVP and Manu was a 6th man.

This is the same, if I say that KG is better than Dirk becasue he had a bigger impact on games (proved by metrics) some folks Will argue with me because he lost a lot in the first round and didn't have a "killer instect" or "eye of the tiger" or whatever other corny phrase they want to come up with.
    i dont disagree about cir stances, but in the end, you can only prove what actually happened. its the same reason that no matter how much people want to argue it, mike will continue to be greater than lebron, despite all the arguments for bron being a better basketball player

dirk had a more impressive career than kg, plain and simple. he changed the league and put a team on his back to win a ring. kg did neither of those.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Link? I personally did the math myself. I have no problem to admit if I commited a mistake.
    go do the math and you will realize you failed miserably at it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I looked it up and did the math. Took me about 5 minutes. Do it and you will see. Or don't, but then shut the up, tbh.
    Then explain how he has 18.8 ppg in the finals? Show your work. I did. He averaged 18 in 08 and 15 in ‘10. I don’t see how that equals 18.8 ppg. And since you have no problem admitting that you’re wrong just say I was wrong and KG didn’t have a finals scoring average of 18.8

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what top 15 player did dirk ever have?

terry and howard > pierce and allen?

i dont disagree that they could have won more, but we could say plenty of coulda woulda stuff for dirk as well

had he not gotten injured in 03 they coulda beat the spurs
    had the league not given stackhouse a weak suspension they probably win game 5
    had cubes not dismantled the team in 11-12 they may have had a chance to win

we can do this all day. fact is, dirk put a team on his back in a way kg never did.

really? what award is that? never heard of it.
    Nash's last few seasons as a Maverick were about that level, but the likes of Finley and even Terry were clearly better secondary options than what Garnett had as a Timberwolf.

I wasn't basing it off just the 2nd and 3rd best players at a particular point, genius. I meant depth of talent.

Nah, but the difference is, they destroyed the Lakers in '08 and were still better than them in '09. There's every reason to believe they repeat. '10, I'd actually argue the Lakers win either way, but the Celtics needed Perkins against them more than any other team.

Even the NHL is smart enough to realize 4 rounds are greater than 1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    go do the math and you will realize you failed miserably at it
    I just did again. Still getting the same results. Now I would like to know your source.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then explain how he has 18.8 ppg in the finals? Show your work. I did. He averaged 18 in 08 and 15 in ‘10. I don’t see how that equals 18.8 ppg. And since you have no problem admitting that you’re wrong just say I was wrong and KG didn’t have a finals scoring average of 18.8
    I didn't say he averaged 18.8 ppg on the finals. I said that in the finals, the conference finals, and conference semis combined, he had a combined average of 18.6. which is higher than his Carrer playoffs and therefore it is also higher than his first round average.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what proof do you have that there is no bias?
    Did you read the article?

if you dont agree with it, then why bother to try to use it as some sort of conclusive proof that kg > dirk?
    You and the other dude were the ones that wanted evidential proof that KG > Dirk. Well it doesn't get any more detailed than that, tbh.

so that means garnett is about as skilled as timmy?
    Garnett is arguably the most skilled bigman ever, which it isn't the same as saying he's the best bigman ever, tbh.

yet dirk was the one who is viewed as transcendent, and a guy who completely changed the way basketball is played in the nba
    And Garnett isn't viewed as a transcendent player? The dude was a ing unicorn when he came out of high school. You are showing some lack of memory son.

obviously his one way of affecting the game was much bigger than all of kgs
    Says who? What did Dirk accomplished so far ahead of KG in the NBA to say that it was "obviously much bigger"?

some of his prime years

then some of them he spent with 2-3 hof players in their primes and only has 1 ring to show for it
    2008 he won it all. 2009 Celtics didn't repeat because Garnett got injured. 2010 Celtics would have won if not for Perkins getting injured. From then on, bye prime. So, Garnett made the most out of the only prime injury free year he had of playing with a good team.

of course its non-arbitrary when it fits your opinion
    It's not arbitrary because it uses mathematical analysis. I guess you could say the way to come up with the formulas can be considered arbitrary. Still, is a lot more objective than going "obviously his one way of affecting the game was much bigger".

I dont disagree about cir stances, but in the end, you can only prove what actually happened. its the same reason that no matter how much people want to argue it, mike will continue to be greater than lebron, despite all the arguments for bron being a better basketball player

dirk had a more impressive career than kg, plain and simple. he changed the league and put a team on his back to win a ring. kg did neither of those.
    And I say, KG did both. See? That's why a list like the one on that blog has more merits than a simple "your word vs mine" argument.
    Last edited by DAF86; 06-24-2020 at 08:43 PM.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Nash's last few seasons as a Maverick were about that level, but the likes of Finley and even Terry were clearly better secondary options than what Garnett had as a Timberwolf
    sam cassell and spree were multiple time all-stars. terrell brandon was a multiple time all star. wally made an all star team. stephon marbury obviously made some all-star teams. he also had chauncey billups a couple seasons who went on to make many all-star teams.

jason terry never made a single all-star game, so i dont see how you can say he was clearly superior to all of these guys who made multiple all-star teams

I wasn't basing it off just the 2nd and 3rd best players at a particular point, genius. I meant depth of talent.
    he had plenty of solid contributors as well through those years, such as joe smith, kendall gill, anthony peeler, rasho, candiman, laphonso ellis, gary trent. they all were more than average role players, several of them being 15+ ppg scorers on other teams, in addition to the aforementioned all-star players

Nah, but the difference is, they destroyed the Lakers in '08 and were still better than them in '09. There's every reason to believe they repeat.
    whos to say that even with KG, they beat a red-hot magic squad?

coulda woulda shoulda

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I just did again. Still getting the same results. Now I would like to know your source.
    basketball reference. and some simple addition and division. not that hard. well apparently for you it is.

Did you read the article?
    i did. i saw nothing to prove theres no bias.

You and the other dude were the ones that wanted evidential proof that KG > Dirk. Well it doesn't get any more detailed than that, tbh.
    i actually never once asked for evidential proof that kg > dirk

originally, i was simply stating that its debatable that he was "by far" the best player on the 08 celtics team, and disproved your claim that in his prime he was putting up the same kind of scoring numbers dirk was putting up

Garnett is arguably the more skilled bigman ever, which it isn't the same as saying he's the best bigman ever, tbh.
    lol i want some of what youre smokin

And Garnett isn't viewed as a transcendent player? The dude was a ing unicorn when he came out of high school. You are showing some lack of memory son.
    youthful hype doesnt make you transcendent. he was great, but nothing the league had never seen before. i suppose one could consider him transcendent, but he certainly didnt have the effect on the game of basketball that dirk did. not even close.

Says who? What did Dirk accomplished so far ahead of KG in the NBA to say that it was "obviously much bigger"?
    he actually put a team on his back, overcame tough compe ion and odds, and won a championship as the unquestioned best player and leader of his team

2009 Celtics didn't repeat because Garnett got injured
    no guarantee they win with him

2010 Celtics would have won if not for Perkins getting injured
    no guarantee they win with perkins

but hey, theres another interesting aspect. the excuse that an injury to a mediocre center was what prevented KG from winning it all. yet in 2011 dirk lost his #2 scorer in caron butler for the season, and in the finals they lost brendan haywood. yet they still went out there and won. to dirk for overcoming injuries, which apparently kg cant do

It's not arbitrary because it uses mathematical analysis. I guess you could say the way to come up with the formulas can be considered arbitrary. Still, is a lot more objective than going "obviously his one way of affecting the game was much bigger".
    well you are literally doing the same thing by saying the ways kg affects a game are much bigger. lol at your double standards.

And I say, KG did both. See? That's why a list like the one on that blog has more merits than a simple "your word vs mine" argument.
    so exactly how did KG change basketball?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here are KG’s stats. I suppose I can choose ty Garnett stats too like his Nets years but his resume sucks enough as is. 7 first round exits 3 straight years of missing the playoffs in his prime

These are his 1st round averages
    97. He averaged 17.3
    98: 15.8
    99: 21.8
    00: 18.8
    01: 21
    02: 24
    03: 27
    04: 25
    05: 0 ppg in playoffs
    06: 0 ppg in playoffs
    07: 0 ppg in playoffs
    08: 21
    10: 15.8
    12: 18.7

These are his Semi final averages
    04 SF: 23.9
    08: 19.6
    10: 18.8
    12: 19.7
    So far he is 50% in averaging more on the second round than the 1st round.

He does much better in the CF though. When KG gets there, he comes to play. Except 2010. He was trash there.
    2004 WCF: 23.7
    Close out game 6 he had 4 points in the 4th quarter and deferred to Sprewell
    2008 ECF: 22.8
    He showed up big in the 4th of close out game 6 but still deferred to Pierce to close out the game.
    2010 ECF: 10.3
    He didn’t show up at all in close out Game 6. He had zero points in the 4th quarter and let Pierce take over the game. Even Perkins had more 4th quarter points than Garnett
    2012 ECF: 19.1
    He choked in game 7. He had 14 points well under his average of 19 and 2 points in the 4th quarter which is a theme with Garnett only this time Pierce didn’t come to his rescue.

He’s 50/50 here too. Still didn’t match his career playoff series high like in the 1st round but mostly impressive nonetheless. Kevin Garnett is a stat stuffer but when you dive deep you find what I said. He defers in the 4th to others. He scores well until crunch time when he wants no part of the ball. In his biggest moments where the pressure is the most, Garnett shrinks. You can’t just look at stats. You have to dive deeper. 2 points in the 4th isn’t gonna cut it. Neither is zero points or 4 points. These are moments where stars are supposed to step up but he never really did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here are KG’s stats. I suppose I can choose ty Garnett stats too like his Nets years but his resume sucks enough as is. 7 first round exits 3 straight years of missing the playoffs in his prime

These are his 1st round averages
    97. He averaged 17.3
    98: 15.8
    99: 21.8
    00: 18.8
    01: 21
    02: 24
    03: 27
    04: 25
    05: 0 ppg in playoffs
    06: 0 ppg in playoffs
    07: 0 ppg in playoffs
    08: 21
    10: 15.8
    12: 18.7

These are his Semi final averages
    04 SF: 23.9
    08: 19.6
    10: 18.8
    12: 19.7
    So far he is 50% in averaging more on the second round than the 1st round.

He does much better in the CF though. When KG gets there, he comes to play. Except 2010. He was trash there.
    2004 WCF: 23.7
    Close out game 6 he had 4 points in the 4th quarter and deferred to Sprewell
    2008 ECF: 22.8
    He showed up big in the 4th of close out game 6 but still deferred to Pierce to close out the game.
    2010 ECF: 10.3
    He didn’t show up at all in close out Game 6. He had zero points in the 4th quarter and let Pierce take over the game. Even Perkins had more 4th quarter points than Garnett
    2012 ECF: 19.1
    He choked in game 7. He had 14 points well under his average of 19 and 2 points in the 4th quarter which is a theme with Garnett only this time Pierce didn’t come to his rescue.

He’s 50/50 here too. Still didn’t match his career playoff series high like in the 1st round but mostly impressive nonetheless. Kevin Garnett is a stat stuffer but when you dive deep you find what I said. He defers in the 4th to others. He scores well until crunch time when he wants no part of the ball. In his biggest moments where the pressure is the most, Garnett shrinks. You can’t just look at stats. You have to dive deeper. 2 points in the 4th isn’t gonna cut it. Neither is zero points or 4 points. These are moments where stars are supposed to step up but he never really did.
    Dude, just take the total of pts scored in the first round and divide them by the number of games played. Then do the same with the pts and games of rounds 2, 3 and 4 and you get your results. It is not rocket science.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    basketball reference. and some simple addition and division. not that hard. well apparently for you it is.
    Total of pts scored in rounds 2, 3 and 4 of the playoffs: 1046
    Total of games played in those rounds: 56

1046 % 56 = 18.67

I did. i saw nothing to prove theres no bias.
    I guess mathematical formulas are biased now.

I actually never once asked for evidential proof that kg > dirk

originally, i was simply stating that its debatable that he was "by far" the best player on the 08 celtics team, and disproved your claim that in his prime he was putting up the same kind of scoring numbers dirk was putting up
    That's actually less of a debate than the KG/Dirk one.

lol i want some of what youre smokin
    Which other bigman you know that could do as many things as Garnett, all at such a high level? The dude even played Point guard for stretches.

youthful hype doesnt make you transcendent. he was great, but nothing the league had never seen before. i suppose one could consider him transcendent, but he certainly didnt have the effect on the game of basketball that dirk did. not even close.
    Nothing the league hadn't seen before?

Tell me, how many 7 footers chasing around opposing perimeter players did you see before and after Garnett? Also, how many 7 footers playing PG?

he actually put a team on his back, overcame tough compe ion and odds, and won a championship as the unquestioned best player and leader of his team
    So did Garnett.

No guarantee they win with him

no guarantee they win with perkins
    OK, fair enough. No guarantee of either of those things. The fact still remains that in Garnett's only prime season with that team, he rang.

well you are literally doing the same thing by saying the ways kg affects a game are much bigger. lol at your double standards.
    The difference is that advanced metrics actually back up my point.

so exactly how did KG change basketball?
    Already said it. Unlimited defensive range. 7 footer playing PG. One of the greatest 20 players of all-time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, just take the total of pts scored in the first round and divide them by the number of games played. Then do the same with the pts and games of rounds 2, 3 and 4 and you get your results. It is not rocket science.
    But there's no context that way. My way shows you that he basically always did better in the 1st round than the later rounds. Also it shows you what a major complaint about KG is and his clutchness and crunch time play in high pressure games. it's easy to see that he averaged 23 ppg but how many in the 4th? Does he rise to the occasion of big games or does he kind of whimper. KG is the type of player that when things are going good then KG will do fine but when there's any type of resistance or any bad momentum or just a need for a big play, he won't show up. When KG loses he goes out with a whimper in the Conference Finals. And that's KG in a nuts . When guards want to fight him he's all in their face acting tough, when other bigs go after him he runs away. When the going gets tough for KG, he folds

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Tell me, how many 7 footers chasing around opposing perimeter players did you see before and after Garnett? Also, how many 7 footers playing PG?

Already said it. Unlimited defensive range. 7 footer playing PG. One of the greatest 20 players of all-time.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Total of pts scored in rounds 2, 3 and 4 of the playoffs: 1046
    Total of games played in those rounds: 56

1046 % 56 = 18.67
    and where exactly did you get 56 games from? I see 75 games played in those rounds.

I guess mathematical formulas are biased now.
    they absolutely can be. but not everything he did was based on math. much was based on his personal observations of video. so yes there is plenty of room for bias.

Thats actually less of a debate than the KG/Dirk one.
    its actually not.

Which other bigman you know that could do as many things as Garnett, all at such a high level? The dude even played Point guard for stretches.
    hakeem and ad quickly come to mind, both of whom are easily more skilled than kg. but that wasn't even what was being talked about. the comparison was his scoring skillset to Timmy scoring skillset. not comparable, Timmy blows him out of the water

Nothing the league hadn't seen before?

hakeem was pretty capable of those things. and let's not overrate kgs perimeter proficiency, he was good for a big man but certainly not someone you WANT running point or guarding the tony parker's of the world. it certainly wasn't anything like how dirk changed the fact that the league now basically requires at least big man on each team to shoot 3s effectively and have some sort of perimeter skills.

So did Garnett.
    then he would have won finals mvp. he didn't.

OK, fair enough. No guarantee of either of those things. The fact still remains that in Garnett's only prime season with that team, he rang.
    kudos to him, I was very happy that he did

The difference is that advanced metrics actually back up my point.
    to a degree. but to some degree they don't, they actually favor dirk in ways

Already said it. Unlimited defensive range.
    nope, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten ate up by dirk virtually every time they played

7 footer playing PG
    decently, not proficiently.

One of the greatest 20 players of all-time.
    I don't disagree necessarily, but I thought you only post unbiased facts backed up with math?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But there's no context that way. My way shows you that he basically always did better in the 1st round than the later rounds. Also it shows you what a major complaint about KG is and his clutchness and crunch time play in high pressure games. it's easy to see that he averaged 23 ppg but how many in the 4th? Does he rise to the occasion of big games or does he kind of whimper. KG is the type of player that when things are going good then KG will do fine but when there's any type of resistance or any bad momentum or just a need for a big play, he won't show up. When KG loses he goes out with a whimper in the Conference Finals. And that's KG in a nuts . When guards want to fight him he's all in their face acting tough, when other bigs go after him he runs away. When the going gets tough for KG, he folds
    Goal post moving much?

This whole thing started because you said that the only reason KG had a similar pppg average to Duncan in the playoffs was because KG played mostly first rounds and that first rounds were easier (ignoring the fact that, the Wolves being usually lower seeds often played the best teams in the first round ), so that's why Garnett's ppg were inflated. Well, I proved to you that Garnett avergaed more ppg in the later rounds than in the first. That's the only context I needed to debunk your extremely flawed argument.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top Fifty

1. Larry Bird
    2. Tim Duncan
    3. Lou Alcindor
    4. Bill Russell
    5. Len Bias
    6. John Stockton
    7. Wilt Chamberlain
    8. Scottie Pippen
    9. Pete Maravich
    10. Moses Malone
    11. Oscar Robertson
    12. Julius Erving
    13. Kevin McHale
    14. Manu Ginobili
    15. Hakeem Olajuwon
    16. Kawhi Leonard
    17. Karl Malone
    18. David Robinson
    19. Chris Webber
    20. James Worthy
    21. Shaquille O'Neal
    22. Drazen Petrovic
    23. Isiah Thomas
    24. Kevin Garnett
    25. Michael Jordan
    26. Paul Pierce
    27. John Havlicek
    28. Lebron James
    29. Reggie Lewis
    30. Bill Walton
    31. Robert Parish
    32. Dirk Nowitzki
    33. Pau Gasol
    34. Charles Barkley
    35. Steve Nash
    36. Dominique Wilkins
    47. Ralph Sampson
    38. Peja Stojakovic
    39. Grant Hill
    40. Ray Allen
    41. Clyde Drexler
    42. Earvin Johnson
    43. Vlade Divac
    44. Kevin Durant
    45. Alex English
    46. Tracy McGrady
    47. Kobe Bryant
    48. Toni Kukoc
    49. Bruce Bowen
    50. Roy Tarpley
    50. Rajon Rondo
    50. Patrick Ewing
    50. Tony Parker
    50. Rick Barry
    50. Jason Kidd
    50. Dennis Johnson
    50. Bill Laimbeer
    50. Adrian Dantley
    50. Bernard King
    50. Chris Mullin
    50. Shawn Marion
    50. Jerry West
    50. Danny Ainge
    The list don't lie, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and where exactly did you get 56 games from? I see 75 games played in those rounds.
    I did the math. 56 games played between 2nd round, conference finals and NBA finals. 13 with the Wolves, 43 with the Celtics. I don't know where you got 75.

they absolutely can be. but not everything he did was based on math. much was based on his personal observations of video. so yes there is plenty of room for bias.
    Ok, I can concede that. You still have to respect the fact that is one of the most statistically detailed rankings out there. Of the ones I've seen, is by far the best in that regard. You can agree or not but you have to respect the amount of work put into it. On a debate tournament that ranking trumps any other thing I've read.

its actually not.
    It is. The KG/Dirk debate is a close one and even I, being on KG's side, can understand a person arguing for Dirk. KG not being the Celtics best player in 2008 is completely ignorant and I have zero tolerance for such level of stupidity. I already proved to you, with evidence, that Garnett in 2008 had a much more dominant season than most others championship winners that were considered the undisputed alphas of their respective teams.

Saying that KG wasn't head and shoulders the Celtics best player throughout both the regular season and playoffs is like saying Duncan wasn't the Spurs best player in 2007 or Curry for GS in 2015 because they didn't win finals MVP. Actually, Duncan didn't finish 3rd in MVP voting in 2007, so it's actually worse to say that KG wasn't the Celtics best player in 2008, than to say Duncan wasn't the Spurs best player in 2007.

hakeem and ad quickly come to mind, both of whom are easily more skilled than kg. but that wasn't even what was being talked about. the comparison was his scoring skillset to Timmy scoring skillset. not comparable, Timmy blows him out of the water
    When did Hakeem and AD played perimeter defense or played PG? And I would argue that Duncan had more strength than KG to bully people inside. It wasn't so much a difference of skills.

hakeem was pretty capable of those things. and let's not overrate kgs perimeter proficiency, he was good for a big man but certainly not someone you WANT running point or guarding the tony parker's of the world. it certainly wasn't anything like how dirk changed the fact that the league now basically requires at least big man on each team to shoot 3s effectively and have some sort of perimeter skills.
    I would argue that it was the rule changes, more than Dirk, that forced teams to play smallball.

You want to talk about a guy that trully influnced a change in the NBA? Manu ing Ginobili. There you trully have a game changer regardless of rule modifications. Eurostep, flooping, no-midrange inefficiency. A guy ahead of his time. But not because of that I'm going to say that he's better than players that didn't change but were in fact better. Being a trend setter doesn't make you a better player.

then he would have won finals mvp. he didn't.
    I guess Curry wasn't the unquestioned best player of the Warriors in 2015.

kudos to him, I was very happy that he did
    Yet you say he only has 1 ring to show by playing with 2 other Hall of famers. Well, no he has only one ring, he only played one season in his prime with those guys.

to a degree. but to some degree they don't, they actually favor dirk in ways
    In what "degrees" do they favour Dirk?

nope, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten ate up by dirk virtually every time they played
    If by getting eaten alive you mean 23 ppg on lower than normal efficiency. I guess, sure, Dirk ate KG alive.

https://www.landofbasketball.com/gam...0in%20Playoffs.

decently, not proficiently.
    He did it. Thing that no other 7 footer in history did.

I don't disagree necessarily, but I thought you only post unbiased facts backed up with math?
    KG being a top 20 player is backed up by pretty much any math out there, tbh.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I like that 2008 Celtic team. But if they were so great why were they getting pushed to the brink by the hawks
    2008 Hawks were talented but very young. 3 starters 22 aged or younger.

Thread Information