Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to see another offseason for Samanic. He's young and still growing physically and mentally. Trust the ST armchairs on here to label him a bust already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to see another offseason for Samanic. He's young and still growing physically and mentally. Trust the ST armchairs on here to label him a bust already.
    To be fair, he’s not a bust to those that never thought he was good in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, he’s not a bust to those that never thought he was good in the first place.
    How can you properly evaluate a player after one season? That's crazy. Samanic has never even played NBA minutes until the other night. He's 2o years old! You got to give him a legitimate chance to develop. R.C. Buford personally scouted this kid and said he's a project. Give him at least a couple of seasons, if not 3 to develop. Chimezie Metu is a perfect example of a raw, young, player who is slowly maturing into possibly a NBA player. Some of these players need time.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So my low expectations finally pay off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you properly evaluate a player after one season? That's crazy. Samanic has never even played NBA minutes until the other night. He's 2o years old! You got to give him a legitimate chance to develop. R.C. Buford personally scouted this kid and said he's a project. Give him at least a couple of seasons, if not 3 to develop. Chimezie Metu is a perfect example of a raw, young, player who is slowly maturing into possibly a NBA player. Some of these players need time.
    He wasn’t good prior to being drafted and the potential IMO (and many others) wasn’t there either.

By your logic everyone no matter how awful they are should get multiple years in the nba before getting criticism. I disagree. If the Warriors pick the 3rd string Center at tarleton state university with the #1 pick then they should be criticized and its ok to say that that player isn’t good.

Samanic was drafted way higher than he should’ve been.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So my low expectations finally pay off.
    Haha yeah. I hope he turns into a great player but the odds from the beginning were never in his favor. He’s a 2nd round project guy that we drafted at 19. Nothing more nothing less.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His athleticism and skillset is obviously an intriguing combination and reminiscent of Siakam, but it's all going to come down to whether he can develop his 3 to the extent where it sets up his advanced off the dribble game and whether he can attain enough strength to not be a physical liability defensively.

Absent that, he's another Saric or Lyles (or Gordon, at least offensively) in the making, with a mostly theoretical skillset that doesn't actually translate into being a positive impact player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His athleticism and skillset is obviously an intriguing combination and reminiscent of Siakam, but it's all going to come down to whether he can develop his 3 to the extent where it sets up his advanced off the dribble game and whether he can attain enough strength to not be a physical liability defensively.

Absent that, he's another Saric (#12) or Lyles (#12) (or Gordon (#4) , at least offensively) in the making, with a mostly theoretical skillset that doesn't actually translate into being a positive impact player.
    Those comparables were drafted much higher than Luka, but people still about him at #19.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wasn’t good prior to being drafted and the potential IMO (and many others) wasn’t there either.
    If by many others, you mean on here, that actually works against your opinion. I will give you credit and say you're actually trying to debate with reasonable takes. [/QUOTE]

By your logic everyone no matter how awful they are should get multiple years in the nba before getting criticism. I disagree. If the Warriors pick the 3rd string Center at tarleton state university with the #1 pick then they should be criticized and its ok to say that that player isn’t good.

Samanic was drafted way higher than he should’ve been.
    You can criticize Saminic all you want. But I will disagree with you on a player who is only 20 years old and raw. This wouldn't be the 1st time a team has reached on a player. Given Saminic's size and skill set, I can see why the Spurs reached on him. Since R.C. personally scouted this kid and stated he was a project and will take time, I will give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. [/QUOTE]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If by many others, you mean on here, that actually works against your opinion. I will give you credit and say you're actually trying to debate with reasonable takes.

You can criticize Saminic all you want. But I will disagree with you on a player who is only 20 years old and raw. This wouldn't be the 1st time a team has reached on a player. Given Saminic's size and skill set, I can see why the Spurs reached on him. Since R.C. personally scouted this kid and stated he was a project and will take time, I will give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
    [/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I hope he improves. Spurs future looks very bleak right now. We can’t afford to miss on draft picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can criticize Saminic all you want.

Well, I was done criticizing him. But since you said that I sort of feel like I should do a little bit more.

Look, some of us watch young guys coming into the draft every year, and try to pick out the ones that we think are going to be good, and the ones that are going to be duds. Lots of them are 20 years old and raw. We make our minds up about them based on what we see, and comparisons to other players we've watched over the years. I'm not going to change that just because the Spurs drafted one of them.

I'm not giving anyone the benefit of a doubt. They either do or don't. So far, he looks just about like what I expected. If he lives up to all that "potential"... at the NBA level... I'll give him and RC credit. But some of you guys describe him like he's going to have star potential in the NBA some day, and I still don't think that motor will ever let it happen.

Spurs future looks very bleak right now. We can’t afford to miss on draft picks.
    And that right there is the biggest thing of all. Even if he improves a lot, unless he turns out to be a bona fide star, it was still a piss poor use of a draft pick, with Clarke and Thybulle on the board, ready to contribute now. And, no, that's not Monday morning quarterbacking. I said it before the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And that right there is the biggest thing of all. Even if he improves a lot, unless he turns out to be a bona fide star, it was still a piss poor use of a draft pick, with Clarke and Thybulle on the board, ready to contribute now. And, no, that's not Monday morning quarterbacking. I said it before the draft.
    Why would they take a win-now player and attach them to LMA + DeRozan core.

As if that would make them contenders.

A lot of negativity towards PATFO regarding the future.

Well, taking Samanic tells us something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I was done criticizing him. But since you said that I sort of feel like I should do a little bit more.

Look, some of us watch young guys coming into the draft every year, and try to pick out the ones that we think are going to be good, and the ones that are going to be duds. Lots of them are 20 years old and raw. We make our minds up about them based on what we see, and comparisons to other players we've watched over the years. I'm not going to change that just because the Spurs drafted one of them.

I'm not giving anyone the benefit of a doubt. They either do or don't. So far, he looks just about like what I expected. If he lives up to all that "potential"... at the NBA level... I'll give him and RC credit. But some of you guys describe him like he's going to have star potential in the NBA some day, and I still don't think that motor will ever let it happen.

I appreciate your insight, but GTFO with "a piss poor use of a draft pick". Way, way over analysis on a player who hasn't even finished his 1st person. What did you think Buford meant when he stated Samanic was a project when he drafted him? All these prospects you just mentioned had question marks, none of them were sure fire, can't miss prospects. You act like the Spurs used a top 3 pick on Samanic. He was the 19th overall pick. If he busts, then you and your cronies can throw out I told ya so, but take a breath and give this kid time to develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thybulle was definitely a can't miss defensive minded perimeter player this team could've used.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thybulle was definitely a can't miss defensive minded perimeter player this team could've used.
    He's a complete negative on offense, and DOES actually make Kyle Anderson look like Magic. He also averages less than a rebound per game in almost 20 minutes. To put that into perspective, Bryn Forbes, who is probably the worst rebounding Spur to take the floor in the 30+ years I've been a fan, averages 2 boards in 25 minutes. Thybulle is just the other side of the Forbes coin, someone you can't keep on the floor because of a complete lack of one side of the game. Forbes lacks any sense of defense, and Thybuylle lacks any sense of offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have watched a couple Austin SPURS games and he is active and show potential and his shooting is not bad either.. Sumanic, Lawson,Metu are all nice players, maybe not all-star caliber but diffidently can be a contributing starter in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I appreciate your insight, but GTFO with "a piss poor use of a draft pick". Way, way over analysis on a player who hasn't even finished his 1st person. What did you think Buford meant when he stated Samanic was a project when he drafted him? All these prospects you just mentioned had question marks, none of them were sure fire, can't miss prospects. You act like the Spurs used a top 3 pick on Samanic. He was the 19th overall pick. If he busts, then you and your cronies can throw out I told ya so, but take a breath and give this kid time to develop.

GTFO? What does that mean? Do I just have to leave this thread, or do I have to leave ST altogether?

The Spurs used to draft projects because they were a perennial championship contender, and they often had a roster that was basically full. When there's no chance that 28-30 pick is going to make the roster as a rookie, what do you do? You pick a guy with huge upside, stash him, and hope.

Now the Spurs current roster is short talent/depth. They can't afford projects - they need contributors. (Even a minor upgrade is an upgrade.) Begin to set a solid base for the future. So, yeah, drafting a project was a bad use of a draft pick in their current situation. You just don't seem to be able to understand - it isn't about hating Samanic, or whether he might develop. It was the wrong play at the wrong time.
    It just was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty high on Samanic. Think he can be a legit starter with the perfect skill set for the modern NBA. He just needs time. Definitely needs to spend another year in the G-League, but after that he should be cracking the rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty high on Samanic. Think he can be a legit starter with the perfect skill set for the modern NBA. He just needs time. Definitely needs to spend another year in the G-League, but after that he should be cracking the rotation.

Brandon Clarke was NBA-ready this season. By the time Samanic (hopefully) has his second year in the G-League and is ready to "crack the rotation" Clarke will have two full years in the NBA and will already be a legit starter. At the end of the next season, the Spurs will have to extend Samanic based on hope, to keep him around. Clarke will be getting extended because he's a known quan y.

Thybulle was a sort of project. If he gets his 3P shot to start falling like he did in college, he could be a starter on most teams in the league. The difference is, he's a project who was also NBA ready this year. If the Spurs had his defense, especially to close games, they would be in the playoffs.

"Cracking the rotation" in his third year (maybe) is a pretty low return for a team that needs to at least get back into playoff contention.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandon Clarke was NBA-ready this season. By the time Samanic (hopefully) has his second year in the G-League and is ready to "crack the rotation" Clarke will have two full years in the NBA and will already be a legit starter. At the end of the next season, the Spurs will have to extend Samanic based on hope, to keep him around. Clarke will be getting extended because he's a known quan y.

Thybulle was a sort of project. If he gets his 3P shot to start falling like he did in college, he could be a starter on most teams in the league. The difference is, he's a project who was also NBA ready this year. If the Spurs had his defense, especially to close games, they would be in the playoffs.

"Cracking the rotation" in his third year (maybe) is a pretty low return for a team that needs to at least get back into playoff contention.
    So........you call bust on Luka?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if he is soo good how come we have seen more of our second pick over him and he plays in a position of need

Thread Information