Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait for that 2023 P&L Banner to go up tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) dieng is completely inconsequential to a team that is fighting for a high lottery pick
    2) they waived vonleh anyway. this was not a matter of choosing vonleh over dieng

only thing this accomplished was our owner makes a little bit of cash. the spurs did not benefit one iota from this
    understood. would still rather have dieng because he's a good locker room presence and generally well-liked vet. I understand he's not a player that's gonna make much of a difference in our overall win total but in the absence of an actual upgrade this is a net negative move for everyone except the Owner's pocketbook.

Do. not. like.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wut? would much rather have Dieng.

I increasingly don't get this team's moves.
    I get the feeling he'll retire sooner than later and re-join the Spurs in some capacity.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol, wut?

no, "most" of them started off wealthy or with advantages not available to the average joe. Examples currently in the news: Kardashians, Trump, Elon, etc. If you think they got that way providing goods or services and not having the benefit of generational wealth, then you're exactly like the rest of the ignorant ppl that think they are God's gift to humanity.

I'll never get the thirst some of you have to bootlick the wealthiest members of society. Especially while you probably dont have good healthcare that wont bankrupt you if you have a serious accident or illness.

It's sad and pathetic, and definitely not a good look. Oh, and they're not gonna you for standing for them. In fact most everyone of them would quite literally piss and on you and think nothing of it if they could make some more money from doing so.
    Ahh, blissful ignorance. There are over 3 million millionaires in the US. Over 90% of those got there doing exactly what I said. Most wealth has a 3 generation cycle. It is very unusual for wealth continue generation after generation. It gets divided among the children then grandchildren and it’s gone. For the record I think Trump is an asshole (although he had great policies to help lift everyone’s standard of living) and I am at a loss trying to understand people’s fascination with the Kardashians.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ahh, blissful ignorance. There are over 3 million millionaires in the US. Over 90% of those got there doing exactly what I said. Most wealth has a 3 generation cycle. It is very unusual for wealth continue generation after generation. It gets divided among the children then grandchildren and it’s gone. For the record I think Trump is an asshole (although he had great policies to help lift everyone’s standard of living) and I am at a loss trying to understand people’s fascination with the Kardashians.
    if trump stuck his entire inheritance into the S&P index fund and literally did nothing his whole life, he'd have made more money than he has today

the greatest predictor of future success is not ability, its wealth. doesnt mean every rich person came from money. just playing the odds

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was non-guaranteed.
    Ya I missed that at first glance - makes sense now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if trump stuck his entire inheritance into the S&P index fund and literally did nothing his whole life, he'd have made more money than he has today

the greatest predictor of future success is not ability, its wealth. doesnt mean every rich person came from money. just playing the odds
    That simply doesn’t jive with the facts. The greatest predictor of wealth ac ulation is the ability to delay gratification. Unfortunately the standard lifestyle choices are to live beyond one’s means. For example if a 25 year old puts $25 a month into an S&P index fund for 10 years , then increases that to $50/month for 10 years, then at age 45 starts putting $100/month in and then at 55 increases that to $200/month over the last 40 years his account would be worth over $2,000,000. Unfortunately our schools do a very poor job of teaching wealth ac ulation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That simply doesn’t jive with the facts. The greatest predictor of wealth ac ulation is the ability to delay gratification. Unfortunately the standard lifestyle choices are to live beyond one’s means. For example if a 25 year old puts $25 a month into an S&P index fund for 10 years , then increases that to $50/month for 10 years, then at age 45 starts putting $100/month in and then at 55 increases that to $200/month over the last 40 years his account would be worth over $2,000,000. Unfortunately our schools do a very poor job of teaching wealth ac ulation.
    ability to delay gratification is a great trait. but for better or worse "stickiness at the ends" is a known, quantifiable phenomenon. if you break wealth into quartiles, about 2/3 of people raised in the bottom quartile end up in the bottom half, and about 2/3 of people raised in the top quartile end up in the top half

about 50% end up with more wealth than their parents. about 50% end up with less

plenty of research into the subject, here's the first that pops up

https://www.pewtrusts.org/~/media/le...andreampdf.pdf

this doesnt mean that people cant optimize decisions and improve outcomes. they certainly can. its not just the biggest predictor of wealth
    Last edited by spurraider21; 01-05-2023 at 08:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, Donald Trump is the king of delayed gratification.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on Philly! Shed tax liability by sending us that CHA SRP and Thyblles contract

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only on ST can a thread on an otherwise meaningless trade end up in a political argument.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you two need to define what level of net worth equates to being 'rich'. It's to broad in this discussion...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only on ST can a thread on an otherwise meaningless trade end up in a political argument.
    ...and a political forum end up as a virtual asylum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As of like 2010, the standard of being wealthy or rich was $5M. That was close to 13 years ago. I’m sure it’s gone up.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adios Dieng. I always thought he was a good dude. Good shooter. Calming presence. The churn continues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bobby Marks math

Bobby Marks
    BobbyMarks42
    2m
    Boston sent San Antonio $1.5M as part of the Noah Vonleh trade. Here’s how much Boston saved and the Spurs netted.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bobby Marks math

Bobby Marks
    BobbyMarks42
    2m
    Boston sent San Antonio $1.5M as part of the Noah Vonleh trade. Here’s how much Boston saved and the Spurs netted.

So basically we bought good will

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Source on that 90% claim...lol.

Come on man, the Ivy League schools aren't filled with the legacy children and the relatives of prior graduates and donors for nothing.... Which of course then sets those folks up with high-paying cush jobs for life. And so on and so forth. You simply do not get how privilege and wealth works.

Trump had great policies to lift everyone's "standard of living?" Which ones? How? You understand the stock market isn't raising everyone's standard of living?

For the official record, Trump signed the largest tax cut in US history, which broke a record previous set by W Bush that benefitted the wealthiest Americans by head and shoulders. 90% of the benefit went to the top 10% of tax payers. The wealth gap grew and the average salary yet further increased between a CEO and their employees. Healthcare costs continued to rise.

Again, you guys simply do not get why this happens over and over but are the ones directly responsible for it continuing to happen.

You understand that the American middle class was largely created when the top end marginal tax rate was over 70%? That's how you raise the standard of living. Well that and not having a trillion dollar defense budget that is akin to the next 16 militaries on the planet, combined.

You want a different standard of living. Wake the up and vote accordingly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have been trying to net "good will" for years now and all its gotten them is bent over a barrel

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have been trying to net "good will" for years now and all its gotten them is bent over a barrel
    Uh, actually that White trade from last year was pretty flush. Atlanta, same. Toronto trade last year didn’t exactly suck, either. Got a first and a second, plus the player fed into the Toronto trade from Chicago for an unrestricted free agent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you believe that you also believe that brian wright is a great manager, for despite the bias against the spurs, he still got trades for Derozan, murray, white, and more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    King of ty takes right here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Source on that 90% claim...lol.

Come on man, the Ivy League schools aren't filled with the legacy children and the relatives of prior graduates and donors for nothing.... Which of course then sets those folks up with high-paying cush jobs for life. And so on and so forth. You simply do not get how privilege and wealth works.

Trump had great policies to lift everyone's "standard of living?" Which ones? How? You understand the stock market isn't raising everyone's standard of living?

For the official record, Trump signed the largest tax cut in US history, which broke a record previous set by W Bush that benefitted the wealthiest Americans by head and shoulders. 90% of the benefit went to the top 10% of tax payers. The wealth gap grew and the average salary yet further increased between a CEO and their employees. Healthcare costs continued to rise.

Again, you guys simply do not get why this happens over and over but are the ones directly responsible for it continuing to happen.

You understand that the American middle class was largely created when the top end marginal tax rate was over 70%? That's how you raise the standard of living. Well that and not having a trillion dollar defense budget that is akin to the next 16 militaries on the planet, combined.

You want a different standard of living. Wake the up and vote accordingly.
    I believe the tax cuts made things worse for most Americans. It dipped things for a year or two but then raised taxes for most of us after the election. So calling them tax cuts isn't really appropriate.

Most of our outrageous debt is because of Republicans spending like crazy, failing to defend us on 9/11 and starting extremely expensive wars because of it, and giving more and more money to their donors through giveaways and cutting the taxes of the rich every chance they get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, actually that White trade from last year was pretty flush. Atlanta, same. Toronto trade last year didn’t exactly suck, either. Got a first and a second, plus the player fed into the Toronto trade from Chicago for an unrestricted free agent.
    if you believe that you also believe that brian wright is a great manager, for despite the bias against the spurs, he still got trades for Derozan, murray, white, and more.
    Never said the trades were , just that they've done plenty of favors for other teams over the years only for nothing to come of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that lux tax savings for boston wouldve been shared among the teams below the cap, spurs rather get the bigger piece of the pie with the trade then waiting for the portion of lux tax revenue sharing...

Thread Information