Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. People canceling their season tickets for a bag like Donald Trump. What a bunch of es.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    We can only hope this is true.
    Please. Pop has been more important to the Spurs than Duncan. Once he's gone, you probably looking at the Seattle Spurs tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please. Pop has been more important to the Spurs than Duncan. Once he's gone, you probably looking at the Seattle Spurs tbh.
    I have been fan since '94. Pop like all coaches in my eyes is overrated. Without superstars covering up his terrible lineups he's very mediocre. The only thing great he did for the Spurs and I give him credit for this is establishing a Father-Son relationship with Duncan. It's the biggest reason why Duncan didn't leave in '00. I'm thankful for that.

Your original statement is stupid it's like saying Pat Riley was more important for the Lakers than Magic-Jabbar or saying Phil Jackson was more important than Shaq-Kobe.

Anyways I grew up and still live in NC so the Seattle Spurs trolling crap doesn't effect me . TBH I don't think Seattle will ever get another NBA team again. Those dumbasses should have tried to build a new arena instead of wasting several hundred million dollars renovating their old hole arena.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I have been fan since '94. Pop like all coaches in my eyes is overrated. Without superstars covering up his terrible lineups he's very mediocre. The only thing great he did for the Spurs and I give him credit for this is establishing a Father-Son relationship with Duncan. It's the biggest reason why Duncan didn't leave in '00. I'm thankful for that.

Your original statement is stupid it's like saying Pat Riley was more important for the Lakers than Magic-Jabbar or saying Phil Jackson was more important than Shaq-Kobe.

Anyways I grew up and still live in NC so the Seattle Spurs trolling crap doesn't effect me . TBH I don't think Seattle will ever get another NBA team again. Those dumbasses should have tried to build a new arena instead of wasting several hundred million dollars renovating their old hole arena.
    Was Pop not the GM, then coach? He played a major role in putting together the roster around Duncan, then coached for 20 years. If not for injuries, Spurs make the playoffs again, without Duncan. Pop was there before, during, and after Duncan.

Many great players never won because they didn't have a good coach and/or GM that could help them become successful (Barkley, Ewing, Stockton, Mailman, Reggie Miller, etc. - all HOFers, no rangs).

Not Pat Riley, but Logo is the most important Laker of all-time. Cap? No, no cap. He won a rang as a player then constructed Showtime and Shaq/Kobe era. If not for his fallout with Phil Jackson, the Dubs as we know them don't exist AND the Lakers likely have more rangs (Yes, Kobe would have at least 6 instead of five).

Coaches and GMs are more important than you give credit for. I'll agree to disagree there.

Be thankful that Kobe didn't have CIA Pop on his sideline for 20 years. No doubt in my mind he'd have more than 5. Put some respeck on Pop's name son.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And the Sonics were stolen from SeattlePERIOD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His house has been for sale though already even before these rumors

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the Sonics were stolen from SeattlePERIOD.
    They were but that happens a lot. It happened to my home team the Hornets back in '02. The city of Charlotte was smarter than Seattle though in one regard is that they pushed through a deal to build a new arena immediately after the Hornets moved. That sent a message to the NBA that they were ready to get another team. Seattle should have tried to build an arena years ago instead of doing what they are doing now in renovating the old Key Arena.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was Pop not the GM, then coach? He played a major role in putting together the roster around Duncan, then coached for 20 years. If not for injuries, Spurs make the playoffs again, without Duncan. Pop was there before, during, and after Duncan.

Many great players never won because they didn't have a good coach and/or GM that could help them become successful (Barkley, Ewing, Stockton, Mailman, Reggie Miller, etc. - all HOFers, no rangs).

Not Pat Riley, but Logo is the most important Laker of all-time. Cap? No, no cap. He won a rang as a player then constructed Showtime and Shaq/Kobe era. If not for his fallout with Phil Jackson, the Dubs as we know them don't exist AND the Lakers likely have more rangs (Yes, Kobe would have at least 6 instead of five).

Coaches and GMs are more important than you give credit for. I'll agree to disagree there.

Be thankful that Kobe didn't have CIA Pop on his sideline for 20 years. No doubt in my mind he'd have more than 5. Put some respeck on Pop's name son.
    I agree with you on the GM part. Great GM's are invaluable like you said with Jerry West. Even though RC gets hammered on here I still think he's one of the best GM's in the league when it comes to finding young talent. It's the reason why I still have hope the Spurs will have a successful rebuild in the next 3-5 years.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nets hire Steve Nash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nets hire Steve Nash.
    Makes sense. Wasnt he with the Warriors when Durant was there? This has Durant all over it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Nash coaching the white and black

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s Steve Nash’s defensive schemes gonna look like

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Two words: Richard Jefferson.

Pop did some very good things, there's no doubt. But everything he did was magnified through the lens of Tim Duncan. The Logo is a genius, and continues to be a genius. He put things together. Pop inherited the single greatest thing in his legacy. He did some good things with it, but since Duncan retired he's floundered a bit. More than a bit. And he seems puzzled that the world isn't cooperating with his legend and ego.

I'll give you this much - a lesser coach could have ed it up. But a lot of coaches and a lot of rosters could have ridden Tim to LOB's. Meh... at least a few coaches, but a lot of rosters. But Pop doesn't seem to be able to wrap his head around the New NBA. That's sort of a liability since that's where he's coaching.

How about this as a compromise? I'll give Pop the respeck he's due... in retirement.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Seven seconds or less... just like his offensive schemes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now attention Pop and the story can move on to some other noise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So Bud gets swept then Bucks Fire him, he would be available to replace poop!!!!!

just saying.
    Except you shouldn't be "just saying". Why would you hire a retread like Bud? He's already been fired twice ,plus he was trained by Pop, who you hate!

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just let the other team have a layup so we can get the ball back quicker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except you shouldn't be "just saying". Why would you hire a retread like Bud? He's already been fired twice ,plus he was trained by Pop, who you hate!
    He didn’t get fired from Atlanta. He had done quite well, but their payroll was a victim of their success. When you produce 4 All Stars in one season, they want to get paid. Ownership wanted to re-build but Bud wasn’t interested. They allowed him to talk to other teams, and let him out of his contract when the Bucks wanted to hire him.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whelp...I really was hoping Pop was off to greener pastures. Next year is really going to suck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    He reinvented the Spurs while Pop was stuck coaching like it was still 2005. Spurs were getting swept by the Suns in 2010 and would have languished further if Bud wasn't there to change how the Spurs played basketball. He was also instrumental in trading George Hill for Kawhi.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Two things:

1. Kobe already had PJax, regarded as the GOAT coach by many.

2. Kobe wouldn't survive under Pop. Kobe was a diva and wanted to be treated like royalty. Pop didn't care for that . He held his stars just as accountable as his role players. This style of coaching only worked because of ego-less stars like Duncan, DRob, and Manu on the roster. We saw how quickly Kawhi wanted out of this type of coaching atmosphere. Kobe is no different. Which is why he needed someone like PJax coaching him. Every other coach the Lakers hired didn't agree with Bryant resulting in short tenures and the eventual lottery seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White privilege tbh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White privilege tbh
    Exactly I don't get why these people in their pants over bud when he's a worse coach than Pop. This dude as the 2x MVP on his team and it looks like he's about to get swept but these people love him. Forget that the Spurs seed to do what the Nets did and go younger and more diverse for their next coach instead of a retread like Bud.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, it was Bud that was teaching Pop.

Thread Information