Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Voluntary (at least to public):

Red A: Went out on his own after yet another Championship season. (9 in 10 years)

Pat Riley. Two years after winning the championship, they finished with one of the worst records of all time. On April 28, 2008, Riley announced that he would step down as coach of the Heat. Former Heat assistant Erik Spoelstra was announced as his replacement.

Phil Jackson: The Lakers were swept from the championship series by the Dallas Mavericks, losing Sunday night by a whopping 122-86. Shortly thereafter, Phil retired and showed a good sense of humor in doing so. Unfortunately he resurfaced as Knicks GM and that was a disaster. But, to the point he retired as a Laker as soon as the wheels fell off. Not 4 years later.

Chuck Daly. I think left on his own.

Forced:
    Tyronn Lue (ok I know only 1 Championship)
    That Lakers dude that AIDs didn't like.
    Mack Brown U of Texas football coach.
    Jimma Jones Dallas Cowboys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the best illustrations to show up on ST, and certainly most fitting was "At what point do you hide the car keys from Grampa?" I'm sorry I cannot remember who the poster was.

Where do you put Pops having access to the car or truck now?
    Dangerous driver?
    Accident prone?
    Little fender benders nothing serious?
    Harmful?
    Very dangerous?
    Life threatening?
    DUIs? Multiple DUIs?
    Has already been in numerous wrecks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I do not think the Holts will make a change. And if so, it would be to approach Pop and suggest a change.
    But will the Holts ever do that? It looks like no. Not now, not ever.
    Will it take a .333 season?

Discuss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    simmer down Fabbs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is on the path to set this franchise back 4 to 6 years. The Derozan and Aldridge situation need to be handled, and Pop needs to retire before he can do anymore harm to the young core future.

He’s out of touch with reality of the current NBA schemes and is isolating the youth core, and it seems to be borderline dangerous at this point. Hopefully ownership realizes something needs to be done about Pop before it’s too late and the youth want to bounce

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is spending his twilight years as a coach touring the country, drinking at his favorite restaurants with Tim by his side...all on the Spurs dime. He couldn't have asked for a better way to go out. Basketball is the last thing on his mind, he's on autopilot this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not making excuse for Pop/RC, because they are forced to this roster makeup in 2 consecutive years. The home wrecker nephew sabotaged a better trade deal, and Morris debacle losing Davis in the process. The shortened Pre-Season doesn’t allow more tinkering with the roster. All said, Pop should realized by now that Forbes/Mills/Beli does not work, and defense wins ball games. That part I blame Pop entirely not to adjust the roster sooner, and play Spurs better defensive combinations.

Pop helped brought 5 championships to a city known for... rodeo? Yup it was not an easy task. If anybody would say Timmy. I would say Malone/Stockton, Ewing, Barkley. It takes more than a great player. So San Antonio owns Pop a great deal to drew those plays, coached 5 championships. I don’t think he would leave the organization in disarray. I’m still hoping he’ll find a way to salvage 23rd playoff appearance (the most). But Pop is not the type who care for those kind of records (I do). That’s why I think he could blow this season, regardless of the standing record, for a decent chance of a lottery pick. Hopefully Spurs get another DRob, Duncan, Kawhi if he stayed, to build the franchise around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To include other sports with long tenured previous successful coaches, Tom Landry stayed too long and was fired. We Cowboy fans knew when Bill Walsh beat him in the 1981 championship game had clearly passed him by. Mac Brown was another coach that was allowed to stay too long when clearly he had lost it.

The parallels to the Spurs are a long tenured coach with previous success who is full of pride and arrogance, and thinks he knows more than everybody else and starts to have horrible teams and records. Yet the powers in charge of the teams are afraid to make a change.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See Tom Landry ... Bobby Bowden ... Joe Paterno ... etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am worried about Pop's coaching decisions, if ownership would have to guts to step in & demand changes or else (highly unlikely).

I think what could the team over beyond Pop staying for a year or two too long is the complete strip mining of his coaching staff/front-office.

I don't want to place too much blame on them, but this is looking like the least prepared and accomplished coaching staff (no ) under Pop. With no one truly qualified to take over the reigns when he steps down.....

R.C. and the front-office have actually done an okay job of providing some young, potential pieces for the future. Pop is doing a terrible job of working more of them into his line ups/rotations and needs to stop treating certain guys likely they are cornerstones (Mills/Forbes) which they aren't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I do not think the Holts will make a change. And if so, it would be to approach Pop and suggest a change.
    But will the Holts ever do that? It looks like no. Not now, not ever.
    Will it take a .333 season?

Discuss.
    , I'd love for Pop to coach the Spurs for another ten years just to watch you meltdown on here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , I'd love for Pop to coach the Spurs for another ten years just to watch you meltdown on here.
    The cliff jumping and constant whining would be hilarious at first. Much like a lot of the trolls and their schtick on ST it'll go way past that point to irritation.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would not be so bad if Pop was not so insistent that he has no other choices. Why even be a coach if you can't make other choices?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would not be so bad if Pop was not so insistent that he has no other choices. Why even be a coach if you can't make other choices?
    He literally has three other choices on the bench who could either be better or worse. And another three in the G-League as well. He has options but is choosing not to use them because of "loyalty" and other stubborn reasons...

He is just be just being obtuse to attempt to shift blame. Sucks that he is being so bullish and stubborn for 3 guys that would be buried on most other teams' benches......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting a Jerry Sloan vibe...obviously no championships, but feels similar

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I may not agree with Pops rotation choices but he gets to leave when he’s ready. He’s earned it!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop isn't getting fired. But I promise you he won't coach next year if this is a losing season and the Spurs tank to the lottery. He's too old to coach rebuild. What will be funny is when he retires and then signs up to coach the Wake Lakers. Then he can kick himself for not trading Kawhi to the Lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure you would, Sniffer.
    *Meltdown*
    Player fans put player above team.

You're a Coach Phan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The cliff jumping and constant whining would be hilarious at first. Much like a lot of the trolls and their schtick on ST it'll go way past that point to irritation.....

He is just be just being obtuse to attempt to shift blame. Sucks that he is being so bullish and stubborn for 3 guys that would be buried on most other teams' benches......

bipolar much?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some good talk in this thread.

I'm extremely worried about Pop and him pushing our young talent out the door. I truly like our team as far as the future goes. If we end up in the lottery and can get a true SF 3 and D player or a really good PF then we may be able to get something going.

I look @ white, murray, walker, Luka, poeltl, as our potential starting lineup next year (in my head) I would be excited to see ALL OF THEM. That would pump me up to see what we can do with the young guys. I don't know how good we would be but I would at least be excited to see that team and to see what they can do and to see them grow together vs continuing to see veteran players lose for us knowing full well that they have reached their full potential as a player. very depressing as a fan.

my favorite moment so far this year was seeing duncan coaching lonnie walker during the game and then praising him afterwards for a good defensive play in the blazers game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some good talk in this thread.

I'm extremely worried about Pop and him pushing our young talent out the door. I truly like our team as far as the future goes. If we end up in the lottery and can get a true SF 3 and D player or a really good PF then we may be able to get something going.

I look @ white, murray, walker, Luka, poeltl, as our potential starting lineup next year (in my head) I would be excited to see ALL OF THEM. That would pump me up to see what we can do with the young guys. I don't know how good we would be but I would at least be excited to see that team and to see what they can do and to see them grow together vs continuing to see veteran players lose for us knowing full well that they have reached their full potential as a player. very depressing as a fan.

my favorite moment so far this year was seeing duncan coaching lonnie walker during the game and then praising him afterwards for a good defensive play in the blazers game.
    I'm hoping our lottery pick will be good enough to be in the starting line up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pat Riley was pretty much forced out by Magic & Co in 1990

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Im still hoping we get a lottery or top 10 pick.im not convinced this mediocre core wont out perform itself and sneak into top 10 in the west

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm personally pulling for James Wiseman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pat Riley and what turned out to be a 63 win out in the second round Magic Lead Lakers vs Rook David Robinson and Larry Brown with Proto Poop as his assistant.

Let it be noted Riles lead his team to second best record during the Kareem Magic Era(yeah I know Cap retired the year Before) and still was run out of town because Cotton Fitzimmons coach Suns Teams with Tom Chambers and Kevin Johnson Ran them off the floor in a 4-1 series win.

Side note,
    just how much raw talent did that Spurs team have? Sean looked horrible but he had his #retired by the Spurs.. He along with Moore and Robinson represent 1/3 of all the Retired Spurs Jersey's

DMC I know you'll be lost to the history of the game and this franchise I've just Turned you on to
    idiot, I knew many of those Spurs personally.

Thread Information